PDA

View Full Version : yoga classes

l/l/rX
10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
this is probably the wrong place to ask, as i cant see very many people on beyond doing yoga or have any expertise in it. i've never done yoga before. i do pilates weekly as part of my work out (if that has any significance). I believe i have a pretty strong core (if this has any significance to LOL)

anyways...what am i looking for? theres soo many different yoga places in calgary. whats good?

a) http://www.coreyogapilates.com/home.html
theres this place seems interesting its yoga and pilates combined. im familiar with what pilates is.
$14 drop in.
Ashtanga Level I
Ashtanga Level II
Yoga Flow
Yoga Flow Themes
Pilates Essentials
Pilates Intermediate
“Fusion”

b) http://www.yogashalacalgary.com/workshops.html
drop in $15 - this place looks like it has a wide variety of yoga...
traditional
mysore
intro to ashanga (beg.)
guided ashanga (lvl 1 &2)
full primary series
non traditional
strength and soul
Vinyasa Flow / Yoga Zone
Vinyasa Flow
Gentle Flow
yoga jam

c) http://www.yogadirectorycanada.com/studios.php?c=Calgary&p=ab

heres the yoga directory for calgary...soo many to choose from.

HELP!

c)

GQBalla
10-24-2007, 01:42 PM
mmm jarett if i were to go i would have to go beginner class i think. i believe my core isn't that strong.

i heard that hot yoga is crazy though.

J-Rhombus
10-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I actually tried hot yoga for the first time last week... it's nuts! My shirt looked like I had just been hosed down after I got out of there... check out www.calgaryhotyoga.com... it's $16 drop in, but you feel like a million bucks after a class and a shower.

l/l/rX
10-24-2007, 02:24 PM
ya one of my gfs does hot yoga...

what did you wear to that though? like just any kind of shorts? cuuuz like the only kind of shorts i have are like outdoor kind of shorts...shorts that i personally dont think id be too comfortable in doing yoga.

toyboy88
10-24-2007, 05:58 PM
They are located downtown:

http://www.om-sweet-om.ca/index.php?page=index

l/l/rX
10-25-2007, 12:19 AM
soo i guess im gonna check out this hot yoga thing on saturday...heres the link.

http://www.bodhitreeyoga.ca/

Jlude
10-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
soo i guess im gonna check out this hot yoga thing on saturday...heres the link.

http://www.bodhitreeyoga.ca/

interested in your feedback on the hot yoga...

I've never done pilates or yoga... but am considering giving it a try...

l/l/rX
10-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Jlude

interested in your feedback on the hot yoga...

I've never done pilates or yoga... but am considering giving it a try...

ya im interested myself as to how good this goes...but i've probably talked to about 6-7 people who have done this "hot yoga" thing before and they've all said they feel like a million bucks after the 90min session. sounds good to me.

what they've said about this is that, you walk into this sauna thing, temperature is warm, then during the yoga thing, you really start to sweat a ton. after the session you're like drenched in sweat.

im gonna be kind of contradicting myself though. the purpose to this class is to "sweat out your toxins," im just gonna be polluting my body few hours later with massive amounts of alcohol. HAHA. o well i guess ill feel like a million bucks for a couple hours.

i think after this saturdays session im going to check out that core yoga class...where they mix in yoga and pilates...i think that'll be more to my liking.

Jlude
10-25-2007, 09:51 AM

im gonna be kind of contradicting myself though. the purpose to this class is to "sweat out your toxins," im just gonna be polluting my body few hours later with massive amounts of alcohol. HAHA. o well i guess ill feel like a million bucks for a couple hours.

hahaha... You'll be out drinkin' feeling amazing!

Are you going to be doing weight training on non yoga days? Or is your excercise plan now purely yoga?

l/l/rX
10-25-2007, 10:11 AM

hahaha... You'll be out drinkin' feeling amazing!

Are you going to be doing weight training on non yoga days? Or is your excercise plan now purely yoga?

that is true. but yea i weight train every other day. i work in 3 pilates excersises with every work out to help keep my core in shape.

this yoga thing i think ill just make it an every now and then thing. it wont be part of a routine thing for me...just yet.

Jlude
10-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I've developed an amazing weight routine just recently, it focuses on definition, not bulk and something like yoga would probably compliment it quite well.

l/l/rX
10-25-2007, 10:28 AM
ya thats pretty much all i hit the gym for...to keep my physique. im pretty happy with my definition, so im just working on keeping it like that.

you should share your routine with me! ;)

im pretty sure most people would agree with me that pilates would compliment you better. IMO yoga seems to be more so a body rejuvinating excersise, where pilates you can actually build/ tone/ define muscle.

go search on the internet for the guy who invented pilates (guys last name is pilates, dont know his first), he was defined and ripped to shit.

im just going to this yoga thing to relieve some stress, and i could use a good replenishment of the body.

Jlude
10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
ya thats pretty much all i hit the gym for...to keep my physique. im pretty happy with my definition, so im just working on keeping it like that.

you should share your routine with me! ;)

im pretty sure most people would agree with me that pilates would compliment you better. IMO yoga seems to be more so a body rejuvinating excersise, where pilates you can actually build/ tone/ define muscle.

go search on the internet for the guy who invented pilates (guys last name is pilates, dont know his first), he was defined and ripped to shit.

im just going to this yoga thing to relieve some stress, and i could use a good replenishment of the body.

I'll definitly try both and see how they work for me... I certainly need stress relief on a regular basis!

pm me your email address and I'll send you my routine, it's an excel file.

jacelin
10-25-2007, 01:23 PM
l/l/rX : do you go to pilates classes? or its just your own pilates routine you put together yourself?

l/l/rX
10-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by jacelin
l/l/rX : do you go to pilates classes? or its just your own pilates routine you put together yourself?

well my sister use to be a hardcore figure skater (use to be top 3 on canada), her training consisted of doing pilates every other day from a pilates trainer. so she has some pretty good knowledge of pilates.

she taught me how to do it, and all the certain aspects of it...ie) keeping your back flat on the ground and not curving it, flexing your stomach/ sucking it in sort of, and various pilates excersises.

so i just picked a few of those that im comfortable with and use them at the gym. :)

if you have any input/ suggestions/ excersises you'd like to share feel free to.

edit: or were you wondering for different reasons?

Jlude
10-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Email sent...

l/l/rX
10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
wont have a review of the yoga class till tuesday when i go...decided not to go today, because the girl that we were going to go with ditched out and just 2 guys going to yoga...seems a LITTLE gay.

lol :nut: :rofl:

l/l/rX
10-30-2007, 10:57 PM
alright...my review of hot yoga (14th st down by sait, link is above)

k so in my previous posts i stated that people said they feel like "a million bucks" after doing hot yoga. i think i feel more so around the 10grand mark.

when first walking into the room its a nice warm 18 or so degrees (humid). so you're like okay this is alright. not to bad. (this is like 10-15min before the instructor walks in).

class starts, first 5 min is getting in touch with your spiritual self, breathing in and out, getting in touch with the floor, the people around you, the environment yada yada yada.

the 10 min after that...o man, i was sweating like crazy. (i was wearing a beater and lulu lemon pants). i was like okay fuck this taking off the beater. (its normal for guys to go shirtless). FYI: im 5'4 and 125lbs so im not fat or anything.

this instructor focused mostly on the leg muscles. and ya must i say my legs were shaking half way through the class. (90min class btw). quite a few shoulder and back exercises to. it all depends on the instructor.

honestly doing these exercises in those kind of conditions gets EXTREMELY hard and id say im a pretty fit guy.

all in all id do this again, perhaps on a bi-weekly basis. my girl-friend that i went with said that theres an instructor on saturday that focuses more on core. so i'd really wanna check him out.

i do feel really rejuvenated, really relaxed, my shoulders are a LITTLE sore.

if you sweat A LOT by just going to the gym pumping weights, i can gurantee you that you'll be sweating 15x more. be prepared to sweat. id suggest taking a shower after, something i should've done. HAHA. they do have really nice facilities, really clean.

thats all for now. thanks for reading.

Jlude
10-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Hmm... that's interesting.

Maybe I'll wait till I get back into the gym for a while and then try some yoga/pilates.

did you get a chance to look at that routine I emailed you?

l/l/rX
10-31-2007, 01:15 AM
Hmm... that's interesting.

Maybe I'll wait till I get back into the gym for a while and then try some yoga/pilates.

did you get a chance to look at that routine I emailed you?

ya i took a quick peek at it...i've been super busy with mid terms lately though so i havent hit the gym since last week sometime. today was my first day doing something physical.

i'll look at it in more detail thursday when i hit the gym again.

thanks for that btw!

turbotrip
10-31-2007, 02:00 AM
(its normal for guys to go shirtless)

keep telling urself that lol

GQBalla
10-31-2007, 08:27 AM
LOL

reno97637
10-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Any of you guys been to that Core Yoga Pilates spot on 11th Ave SW? What do you bring to these classes? Do you bring your own mat, etc.?

l/l/rX
10-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

keep telling urself that lol

lol shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutup.

l/l/rX
10-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by reno97637
Any of you guys been to that Core Yoga Pilates spot on 11th Ave SW? What do you bring to these classes? Do you bring your own mat, etc.?

i would really like to check this place out sometime. it seems fairly interesting. im pretty sure you can rent a mat for a dollar. bring a bottle of water, a towel and whatever else you think you need to work out.

94CoRd
11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Yoga is getting bigger and bigger.

For the last couple years it's become a part of many off- season training programs for hockey, football etc. Core and flexibility prevents injuries!!!

omagedon
11-04-2007, 11:45 AM

all in all id do this again, perhaps on a bi-weekly basis. my girl-friend that i went with said that theres an instructor on saturday that focuses more on core. so i'd really wanna check him out.
[/B]

Man you wanna check him out and you said before you weren't gay LOL.

eb0i
11-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info man! I've been totally wanting to get into yoga for the past year but didn't know where to start. I think I'll start getting into it around christmas.

Myers
11-04-2007, 11:58 AM
i do hot room yoga, and i feel great after the class is over! The plaec i go to heats the room up to 40 degrees C and 40% humidity. It is rather intense, but really really gets all your muscles going and you can feel your core get stronger within a week of going. Some NHL and NFL players started doing hotroom yoga to compliment their workouts, and their game has improved since.

l/l/rX
11-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by omagedon

Man you wanna check him out and you said before you weren't gay LOL.

you're funny. :rolleyes: grow up.

l/l/rX
11-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Myers
i do hot room yoga, and i feel great after the class is over! The plaec i go to heats the room up to 40 degrees C and 40% humidity. It is rather intense, but really really gets all your muscles going and you can feel your core get stronger within a week of going. Some NHL and NFL players started doing hotroom yoga to compliment their workouts, and their game has improved since.

wow...thats intense! 40 degrees!? REALLY!? the place i went to was probably like 18 degrees or so and humid.

urban.one
11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
18 C is room temperature. And a lot of people keep their homes at around 20 C. You must be mistaken.

wow...thats intense! 40 degrees!? REALLY!? the place i went to was probably like 18 degrees or so and humid.

l/l/rX
11-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
18 C is room temperature. And a lot of people keep their homes at around 20 C. You must be mistaken.

hrmmm...not to sure then. it was just really humid. HAH i guess you're right.

i was trying to compare to what i felt in HK. certainly not 40 degrees.

Myers
11-17-2007, 02:57 PM
http://pioneerplus.ejournalism.ca/?q=node/512

"Hot yoga is a series of 26 poses done twice over 90 minutes, in a room heated to 35-45 degrees Celsius."

"Ashleigh Larratt, a yoga instructor in Prince Edward County, stikes one of 26 hot yoga poses. She practices regularly in her living room, heated to 40 degrees celsius. Larratt was trained in California and holds weekly classes in her home."

first article that came up

you merely went to a regular yoga class.. not bikram yoga, or hot room yoga.. There, it is room temperature!

mdeluxe
11-21-2007, 10:39 PM
I go to Calgary Hot Yoga Studio, its pretty amazing and damn hard. I think everyone should try it once

l/l/rX
11-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Myers
http://pioneerplus.ejournalism.ca/?q=node/512

"Hot yoga is a series of 26 poses done twice over 90 minutes, in a room heated to 35-45 degrees Celsius."

"Ashleigh Larratt, a yoga instructor in Prince Edward County, stikes one of 26 hot yoga poses. She practices regularly in her living room, heated to 40 degrees celsius. Larratt was trained in California and holds weekly classes in her home."

first article that came up

you merely went to a regular yoga class.. not bikram yoga, or hot room yoga.. There, it is room temperature!

lol no sorry, i guess the room is heated to probably 30 or something, i just have my temps all mixed up.

i do moksha yoga, which is in a heated room not quite as hot, and i do one thats just called "hot1 yoga" ...hot2 you need 40 classes under your belt to attend.

l/l/rX
11-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by mdeluxe
I go to Calgary Hot Yoga Studio, its pretty amazing and damn hard. I think everyone should try it once

my friend goes to this one to and hes also been to bodhi tree yoga, he prefers calgary hot yoga, because in his opinion, people that go to that one, go, on the other hand he says @ bodhi tree, all the "pretty people" go there. haha

bodhi tree is just so much more convenient and closer for me though.

mdeluxe
11-22-2007, 10:15 PM

my friend goes to this one to and hes also been to bodhi tree yoga, he prefers calgary hot yoga, because in his opinion, people that go to that one, go, on the other hand he says @ bodhi tree, all the "pretty people" go there. haha

bodhi tree is just so much more convenient and closer for me though.

ohh maybe I need to change locations... yeh i think people that go to calgary hot yoga are pretty intense, and im just a beginner so i tottaly stand out. I usually go to the Standard Hot classes, but I want to try the V. Flow ones, they are way more intense, ive only done it once

where is bodhi tree?

petoria
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
bumpp

there is a new hot yoga studio in calgary up in the north east.
its called sanguine yoga and i believe it just opened up last week.
went there today, and the place is actually really nice. i suggest you guys come check it out

www.sanguineyoga.com

JMaj7
01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I heard there was a Hot Yoga place on 17th that has nasty carpets that smell like old sweat and mould. Forgot the name of it tho. Some PT at my gym was telling it was gross.

I've been doing the P90X Yoga Dvd and after two months of doing it, I can't wait til I play ball in the summer again. Yoga focuses on your weak parts and makes you stronger and injury proof overall. You become more flexible (you notice it when ur reaching for shit in awkward angles or when ur playing sports) meaning that it harder to hyperextend your muscles because they r used to being pulled in different directions. This does not mean ur completely injury proof but it really helps. The million dollar feeling comes from all the blood flowing into your happy muscles (happy...??). You sleep better at night after doing yoga after a workout. I say after a workout because i heard it was bad to lift after doing static stretches.

Quinsonaaa
01-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by petoria
bumpp

there is a new hot yoga studio in calgary up in the north east.
its called sanguine yoga and i believe it just opened up last week.
went there today, and the place is actually really nice. i suggest you guys come check it out

www.sanguineyoga.com

i checked it out last week as well, pretty nice and fine instructors:)

robsam
05-16-2009, 12:10 AM
I tried the new hot yoga studio in calgary on 17th ave. The place is amazing. They give you a chilled lemon grass infused towel at the end of your class to cool you down. standard price for yoga in the city 16 a drop in. www.hotyogaon17th.com

ZorroAMG
05-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I've gone quite a few times to Core....great studio, great instructors.

As for hot yoga, it's the BOMB....just make sure you do a 45 or a 60 if you are new....I did a 90min my first hot class and wow.....knock you on your ass, much! I did a hand stand though, so I DID like that crazy long class...

xolemonteaox
05-17-2009, 09:14 PM
the first hot yoga i've been to was http://www.bodhitreeyoga.ca/
all the teachers there are really nice =]

i think they're a little expensive tho, are all the other place's fees similar?

peterlog
05-19-2009, 01:43 PM
i wanted to go to yoga but then, I don't know if I could make it up to my busy days. My mind is always up to something work.fun... lots of things. :banghead:

flipstah
07-17-2012, 08:20 AM
I've been to Sanguine, Hot Yoga on 17th, and that one place near Cyclepath in Macleod... Forgot the name.

It's all very good but I thought I'd bump the thread for a possible downtown location?

XylathaneGTR
07-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
that one place near Cyclepath in Macleod... Forgot the name.

Moksha Hot Yoga.

ducaudi
07-17-2012, 08:32 AM
yoga passage on 11th ave and (between 4th/5th st) is a great place.

Yoga Santosha on 4th st and 17th ave. It's literally by lululemon. One of my favorite studios to attend.

Namaste!

max_boost
07-17-2012, 11:19 AM
I go to Yoga Shala!

Great place.

dannie
07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
+1 for Santosha if you don't want to do hot yoga. If you want hot, stick with Hot Yoga on 17th. They get my vote

flipstah
07-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

Moksha Hot Yoga.

Thanks!

Originally posted by ducaudi
yoga passage on 11th ave and (between 4th/5th st) is a great place.

Yoga Santosha on 4th st and 17th ave. It's literally by lululemon. One of my favorite studios to attend.

Namaste!

Originally posted by dannie
+1 for Santosha if you don't want to do hot yoga. If you want hot, stick with Hot Yoga on 17th. They get my vote

Originally posted by max_boost
I go to Yoga Shala!

Great place.

I'm going to check out Yoga Passage today because of the close proximity to work but good to hear that there's other places to go to! Yoga Passage does Hot Yoga too!

Time to get back into it and lose this site weight! :thumbsup:

max_boost
07-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Thanks!

I'm going to check out Yoga Passage today because of the close proximity to work but good to hear that there's other places to go to! Yoga Passage does Hot Yoga too!

Time to get back into it and lose this site weight! :thumbsup:

I sweat like cray in regular yoga. I refuse to give hot a chance haha

Also hit up the steam room at the local pools, that's good for you. You can always buy hockey gear and join us every weekend too!

flipstah
07-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I sweat like cray in regular yoga. I refuse to give hot a chance haha

Also hit up the steam room at the local pools, that's good for you. You can always buy hockey gear and join us every weekend too!

Hot Yoga is the sheiz! I love it! :love: Although I think my body will hate me again because I haven't gone in months.

Hockey is too baller for me lol.

Ball hockey and golf are good enough for me! :rofl:

... For now. ;)

Namaste!

bigbadboss101
07-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Any places in the NW? I tried 3 times. Hard as I am not flexible.

flipstah
07-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101

You get more flexible as you keep going at it. :thumbsup:

There's a place near Country Hills T&T but haven't tried it yet.

ducaudi
07-17-2012, 01:25 PM
After yoga, if you ever get a chance, give infrared sauna a try. It really helps with the relaxation/detoxing after a long ass pigeon pose. Body feels flushed with this rushing flow.

Ooooh, hockey is very, very hard on the body I find. But I love it.

Kizashi! Never stop improving! Do yoga and your body will thank you.

Ommmmmm!!!!!

max_boost
07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101

I've probably gone about a dozen times now and I keep going to the same place. After awhile you just kind of figure certain things out. My flexibility has definitely improved so I'm very happy about that.

bigbadboss101
07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
May be Max_boost can buy a infrared sauna and a hyperbarlic chamber and invite us over.

flipstah
07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
I need to combo Yoga with something else. I have 5 months to fuckin' look good nekkid. :poosie:

bigbadboss101
07-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I googled the country hills Place. Looks like it shut down.

msommers
07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Did Tri-Yoga by the Coop downtown when they had the coupon thing and kept going for a bit after. Instructors varied too much. The chick who did the intermediate classes like Tues/Thurs was wicked, and hot too.

The one on 17th is consistently good, and clean. I've heard from some of the girls that some places are pretty gross.

flipstah
07-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Did Tri-Yoga by the Coop downtown when they had the coupon thing and kept going for a bit after. Instructors varied too much. The chick who did the intermediate classes like Tues/Thurs was wicked, and hot too.

The one on 17th is consistently good, and clean. I've heard from some of the girls that some places are pretty gross.

I might check out the Tri-Yoga place as I can just train it there and walk after work.

Although Yoga Passage is cheaper for the year...

Would you recommend Tri-Yoga, msommers?

EDIT: Anyone gone to Yoga Santosha yet?

dannie
07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Santosha is great. I've been a number of times. I wasn't a fan of tri-yoga.... msommers, myself and a few others bought their dealfind or group on or something... and it was like pulling teeth to use it. Finally I went without using the deal and I personally didn't find the studio to be what I was expecting.

Santosha on the other hand, is great. The only issue is that parking can be a bit of a bitch.

flipstah
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by dannie
Santosha is great. I've been a number of times. I wasn't a fan of tri-yoga.... msommers, myself and a few others bought their dealfind or group on or something... and it was like pulling teeth to use it. Finally I went without using the deal and I personally didn't find the studio to be what I was expecting.

Santosha on the other hand, is great. The only issue is that parking can be a bit of a bitch.

That's good to hear. In terms of location, Santosha is walkable from where I work so it will definitely be a plus. :D

msommers
07-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Given the variation in instructors I experienced, I can't really say one way or the other. The building is clean and well run. However during the deal find, it was a total gongshow as Dannie mentioned.

bigbadboss101
07-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Went to Sanguine yesterday. Did the hot foundation class. Quite enjoyed it. Next time will not wear a shirt though. Drenched after the class.

belly72
08-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Yoga is my favorite game,does anyone tells me is yoga is more beneficiary or gym exercise?We know both are quite important for our body.Very interesting comments above;)
Des Moines weight loss (http://leanbodybootcampdesmoines.com/)