PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete Job by dropdat

outsider
10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Back in August I agreed on a contract with dropdat (Luke) to build a deck for me as I had read some other comments from other members about how good his work was.

He had the job completed while I was on holidays and I paid him the same day that I had gotten back.

Due to the fact that I was jet lagged, I didn’t really give a good look at the deck. So the next day while walking on them, I noticed that they were not very sturdy. I called him the next day and he said that he would come back to complete this job. He didn’t show up.

I thought I would take this to the pm to be professional about this. We pm’ed each other back and forth and after many promises of him coming to complete the job, he has never shown up.

Thanks giving weekend he promised me that he would completely rebuild the steps. Again a no show. But a pm saying that he would come the following week. Again nothing.

So we continued to pm each other back and forth to agree when he would come to complete the steps.

Last week he stopped pm’ing me and my stairs on my deck are unsafe to walk on and thus they are basically useless for me.

I did warn him that this would be a last resort for me as I thought we could settle this with out going this route. I also have a list of pm’s from the both of us should anyone not believe this. In the end all I really want is my deck to be completed as promised as I have paid fully for it.

dj_rice
10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Do you have this contract in writing??Cause I dont really see what can be done seeing as you hired someone off Beyond...

Masta Dz17
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
that’s why you got to hold 20% for about a week and all touch ups have been completed....

PINOY-X
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Do you have this contract in writing??Cause I dont really see what can be done seeing as you hired someone off Beyond...

+1

no written contract .. he probably doesnt give a damn since he hasnt showed up like he has promised he got paid and thats probably all that matters ... so other words u screwed urself without a written contract .. verbal contract can only go so far ...

but good luck with it though

outsider
10-24-2007, 09:59 PM
We have a signed contract!

barmanjay
10-24-2007, 10:03 PM
That sounds crappy

is there a holdback on the contract?

all contracts I do up,.. there is a 10% holdback for 30 days.

how bad is the deck?

maybe I can help?

got pics?

turbotrip
10-24-2007, 11:01 PM
ive dealt with dropdat before, and he seemed like a pretty reasonable guy so I'm hoping after reading this thread he goes back and fixes it or else nobody from beyond will be dealing with him again...

TomcoPDR
10-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay

got pics?

Yea, pics of the situation. Luke's a nice guy. Hope it all works out.

Crymson
10-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by outsider
We have a signed contract!

YOU ALSO HAVE A FENCE! (it just sucks) -- but you see the problem right?

dropdat
10-25-2007, 12:19 AM
1. The job was done properly and on time.
2. in the contract it states the customer is getting basic stairs
3.the customer recieved basic stairs
4. as for the stairs being 'unsafe', the customer is completely wrong, they were safe and still are. Him claiming he was jet lagged is a pile of lies because the mature person he was with complained about them the second he saw them so we went over them, me and one of my guys (both 200lb guys) stood together in the middle of one and both jumped and nothing happened.

the reason he deems them unsafe is because there is some bend in them and thats what he complained about. the reason there is bend is because there is 5/4 deck sheets used for the stairs instead of 2by6 because the customer cheaped out and told me specifically he wanted the cheapest thing he could get.

I am willing to repair his stairs but i simply do not have the time as well as the fact that me and my guys work out of vancouver all winter and are hardly ever around.

I have done work for 19 beyonders this summer and I've yet to get a complaint about any of my work. Simply put, you can't buy caviar on a mcdonalds budget, if the extra was paid there would be sturdier boards used for the stairs, but he asked for cheap stairs and agreed upon everything that was done. I don't like to leave customers unhappy, so i will fix it, but when it's convenient for me as it is not my mistake that he cheaped out then decided it was an issue afterwards. If a stair collapsed then yes, i would come immediately and take care of it, but nothing of that sort has or will happen.

Crymson
10-25-2007, 12:30 AM
http://forum.joomla.org/Smileys/joomla/popcorn.gif

sneek
10-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
http://forum.joomla.org/Smileys/joomla/popcorn.gif

Dooms_Bane
10-25-2007, 12:45 AM
ooohh... served

gatorade
10-25-2007, 02:32 AM
pwnt

1-Bar
10-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by dropdat
the reason he deems them unsafe is because there is some bend in them and thats what he complained about. the reason there is bend is because there is 5/4 deck sheets used for the stairs instead of 2by6 because the customer cheaped out and told me specifically he wanted the cheapest thing he could get.

I am willing to repair his stairs but i simply do not have the time as well as the fact that me and my guys work out of vancouver all winter and are hardly ever around.

did you tell this to outsider?

urban.one
10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Were the deck and stairs built to code?

if the extra was paid there would be sturdier boards used for the stairs, but he asked for cheap stairs and agreed upon everything that was done.

dropdat
10-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
Were the deck and stairs built to code?

yes, they were built to code. Any contractor can tell you that a 5/4 sheet is going to be a lot less supportive then a 2by6. Also, the guys i had out there went above and beyond on his railing and when i got there they did much more then what was needed and agreed upon. Also, i did the job for a really low rate and made nothing on it as it preatty much all went to the guys who built it and material costs.

barmanjay
10-25-2007, 09:30 AM
...... the customer cheaped out and told me specifically he wanted the cheapest thing he could get.

......... Simply put, you can't buy caviar on a mcdonalds budget.........

I know this all too well

I take back what I said before

*puts a bag of popcorn in the microwave and sits back to watch topic*

l/l/rX
10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
so far it seems to me dropdat > outsider...pwned

eina15
10-25-2007, 10:10 AM
So.....what about all the PMs back and forth, and dropdat saying he was going to show and didn't?

Wouldn't he have just said in the PMs "Dude, I am not coming?".

Why say you are going to show if you know you are in the right, and you know you aren't actually going to show?

More to the story? :dunno:

urban.one
10-25-2007, 10:11 AM
I think too many people watch Holmes on Homes these days and as you mentioned, expect top notch results without considering that its going to cost top dollar to get those results.

yes, they were built to code. Any contractor can tell you that a 5/4 sheet is going to be a lot less supportive then a 2by6. Also, the guys i had out there went above and beyond on his railing and when i got there they did much more then what was needed and agreed upon. Also, i did the job for a really low rate and made nothing on it as it preatty much all went to the guys who built it and material costs.

dropdat
10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by eina15
So.....what about all the PMs back and forth, and dropdat saying he was going to show and didn't?

Wouldn't he have just said in the PMs "Dude, I am not coming?".

Why say you are going to show if you know you are in the right, and you know you aren't actually going to show?

More to the story? :dunno:

I had all intentions of showing, the one day i did make my way up was on thanks giving when i was in town but my supplier was closed.

The reason i was willing to deal with his issues was because i like to keep good customer relations. But quite simply I am just busy, most of my work is based out of vancouver and I can barely make most of my jobs in calgary so i put little priority on this adjustment.

There have been 2 jobs for other beyonders that i have done where a board cracked and on both occasions I took care of them because i was at fault. One more time a set of stairs was slightly unlevel so once again i had that taken care of out of my pocket. These stairs are in no way my fault and they will be taken care of by me when i have time available.

I brought out the contract and it states:

"deck will also include 2 BASIC sets of stairs and BASIC railing"
"lizard trails enterprises reserves the right to charge for extras"
-I delivered on that promise then went above and beyond by putting in a more the basic railing for esthetic purposes and no i did not charge for it.

"payment must be recieved with 24 hours of completion or there will be a 20% penalty served to the final quote"
- payment was recieved 5 days after completion after a quality control cheque with the customer and 2 other people he was with. I was more then understanding of this, and I did not serve any penalty.

"payment may only be recieved in in for of cerified cheque, cash or money order"
-I recieved a personal cheque and once again i did not complain or cause a fuss

I believe I have been understanding and have shown good customer service and the stairs will be repaired when i have down time in between other jobs and when i am working in town, I will even cover the costs of it just to keep ken happy. I understand people get impatient and he just wants them done, but maybe next time a contractor is hired specific details can be addressed to avoid future problems like this one.

dropdat
10-25-2007, 12:58 PM
i would like to call on some other beyonders to speak on their experiences with me and my company

icecreamvan
10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Way to go dropdat!:clap: :clap:

G-Unit
10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey Luke,

I had my fence built by Luke. Also had my neighbors deck and his side of fencing done also. I must say nothing but great service, quality and timing. We previously had a contractor who started to do work on the fence and the neighbors deck. Then that contractor abandoned the job and left it for 3 weeks. Finally we had enough of it and I had to look for another contractor. Found Luke from other post here on beyond. Came to my house, did a quote and work was finished in a couple of days. Everything that was promised was promised and even went beyond and did some landscaping because the previous bob cat guy tore the sh*t out of my land.

Nothing but mad props for Luke and his boys. Hope this misunderstanding get sorted out.

analbumcover
10-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow, good customer service in a market like this, you dont hear that too often, outsider, simply put you cheaped out buddy... if there was nothing wrong with the workmanship and quality of the deck then why would you complain about the quality of the supplies you selected?..

eina15
10-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Kudos to you for going above and beyond your agreement, and being willing to help fix his issues even though you've completed your end of the contract. :thumbsup:

We've got a deck project coming up next year and we'll keep you in mind :)

Also, (and this one's both to the OP and dropdat) - thanks for not making us wait a whole weekend and 9 full pages before coming forward with a name and full details! :rofl:

anarchy
10-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by eina15
Kudos to you for going above and beyond your agreement, and being willing to help fix his issues even though you've completed your end of the contract. :thumbsup:

We've got a deck project coming up next year and we'll keep you in mind :)

Also, (and this one's both to the OP and dropdat) - thanks for not making us wait a whole weekend and 9 full pages before coming forward with a name and full details! :rofl:
:werd:

If there are more positive customer testimonials for dropdat, I'd be interested in talking to you about our deck project as well.

This thread could be the best thing that has ever happened to you lol.

Dropdat FTW! :poosie:

SilverGS
10-25-2007, 01:46 PM
This thread could be great for you. I also have a deck and Fence project for next year I would like done and I also have some friends that probably need decks in the spring.

I'll definitely PM Dropdat when the time comes for finding someone to do it for me.

outsider
10-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Luke,

I'm not at all complaining about the time that this project was completed or the price.

But what i am complaining about was that we had talked many times about you coming to the house to fix the stairs. Every time there was a no show by you. And every time there was no "customer service" or "courteous call" to let me know that you would not be showing up. So what is a customer support to do?

I even called and left messages on your phone so that we could arrange a time, or to see why you had not showed up. These all were never returned. I also understood that there was some personal issues that help you back was was very patient with you during that time.

In no way did i expect to "buy caviar on a McDonald’s budget" But i did expect to get a safe set of stairs. Yes you and another guy jumped on the stairs, but then the next day I took a step and on the steps and one did crack.

dropdat
10-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Luke,

I'm not at all complaining about the time that this project was completed or the price.

But what i am complaining about was that we had talked many times about you coming to the house to fix the stairs. Every time there was a no show by you. And every time there was no "customer service" or "courteous call" to let me know that you would not be showing up. So what is a customer support to do?

I even called and left messages on your phone so that we could arrange a time, or to see why you had not showed up. These all were never returned. I also understood that there was some personal issues that help you back was was very patient with you during that time.

In no way did i expect to "buy caviar on a McDonald’s budget" But i did expect to get a safe set of stairs. Yes you and another guy jumped on the stairs, but then the next day I took a step and on the steps and one did crack.

And thats fine but i never did recieve calls. I did recieve pm's (which i replied to) but i do not remember any calls coming in. also, I do not have your phone number, i have you address, name and know your beyond account so i did the next best thing and messaged you to tell you why i couldn't make it on thanks giving. I really do appreciate your business and i don't like that it had to come to this where my reputation is on the line and people are making either party out to be bad people. I want you to leave satisfied and like I said in the past I will take care of them free of charge to leave you happy but only to make you happy, not because they are unsafe or structurally unsound.

as for my credibility; im sure other members will come out to vouch for me, or i can even post pictures out of my portfolio to see the type of work i do. As for paying for my work, if you're not satisfied, i dont get paid. I have NEVER taken a deposit and only when the job is complete and the customer studies the finished product do i get paid.

dropdat
10-25-2007, 03:49 PM
As for the people that are questioning my abilities (which im sure there is a few now) attached i have pics of some work i have done. Not only do i not take deposits and dont collect payment until a proper job is done i also beat 95% of other contractors by atleast 20%, I also offer financing for up to 5 years. this year alone me, my partner and my guys have built 137 decks, 48 fences, 19 garages, 4 basement developments and numerous verandas, retaining walls, concrete pads, roofs, custom wall units, tile/hardwood, brick gardens, full electrical jobs, ecavating, additions, full bobcat work and patios with only 13 call backs in all of 2007, i think those numbers speak for themselves.

retaining wall
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/LizzardTrailsEnt-6.jpg

3 decks, done for a beyonder
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000046.jpg

sheeted side walls of deck with man door built in to make use of dead space
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000251.jpg

another beyonder job
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000072.jpg

'fortress' style fence
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000081.jpg

basic deck with glass/aluminum railing
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000089.jpg

cedar fence
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000108.jpg

another beyonder deck
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000121.jpg

sloping fence
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000150.jpg

second story deck
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000202.jpg

deck with wood railing
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000212.jpg

full boxed in 2 tier deck with black aluminum railing, shaped around window well with angled stairs
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000247.jpg

kaishen
10-25-2007, 05:14 PM
i dont know dropdat but i think judging by his replies and the photos he has attached, he seem to be a man of his word. prob you guys can communicate better on the phone and maybe get this entire thing resolve. am sure things can work out smoothly...small problem..small problem

icecreamvan
10-25-2007, 05:23 PM
ha guys! dropdat make good decks and fence or you can Kis my As!

Seriously though, they look pretty well done. :thumbsup: I don't need a deck, but can you build a catapult? I have some gifts I'd like to send my neighbour.

banned4x
10-25-2007, 05:31 PM
i have seen his work and its nothing special, not supprised he screwed buddy over

dropdat
10-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by banned4x
i have seen his work and its nothing special, not supprised he screwed buddy over

is this kid serious, his first post he messages in here. and banned4x ? are you kidding me? why dont you quiet down little boy and let the big boys talk.

Ry_an_6
10-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Dropdat seems to be a trusted contractor according to reading this thread. His pictures back his word. i dont think hes the problem, i think its you

lol 1- decks are not hard to build
2- There stairs? are you that useless you cant just fix them yourself ( IF theyre even fucked:dunno: )

:whocares:

banned4x
10-25-2007, 05:58 PM
let the big boys talk? you cant even build stairs properly dumbfuck

icecreamvan
10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by banned4x
let the big boys talk? you cant even build stairs properly dumbfuck

+1 for banned5x:english:

ca18det240sx
10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
^somebody ban this homo again.....and maybe ip ban the prick too

Ry_an_6
10-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Lol i cant build a deck haha? Nooo i just worked with my uncle for over a year and a half flipping houses and finishing his multi-million dollar home. NOPE, definately cant build a deck:rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
10-25-2007, 06:11 PM
In before e-penis measuring match.

Crymson
10-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Ry_an's always looking to whip his deck out.

Originally posted by Ry_an_6
Lol i cant build a deck haha? Nooo i just worked with my uncle for over a year and a half flipping houses and finishing his multi-million dollar home. NOPE, definately cant build a deck:rofl:

403Gemini
10-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I'd hire dropdat in a second after seeing the pictures of his work. Looks sound to me, and as always: you get what you pay for. its not like i expect my chev to perform as good as a porsche ;)

TomcoPDR
10-25-2007, 07:32 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/P1000251.jpg

+1 for dropdat, and spending the time professionally explaining his side (customer didn't want to spend the money on certain materials, builder did exactly as told and completed job)

His photos detail the extend of his quality and completion to me, based on photos I don't see how it would be dropdat's decision to put the cheaper stuff on the stairs in this thread... so dropdat > outsider.

And btw, those box-cab roof on them Ford trucks collaspe and dent easily. :cry:

Kobe
10-25-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm all for customer relationships, and do take dropdat's side for responding and willing to help.

For anyone that owns a construction company, and does half ass work, with brutal communication, just wait till the housing market slows down next year, and you are out of work, because the loyal, trustworthy companies will get hired first..

dropdat
10-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
...And btw, those box-cab roof on them Ford trucks collaspe and dent easily....

haha yeah they do. I still feel stupid for putting that big of a load on that roof. thanks again for fixing that roof for me Tom, you did a wicked job and really are a master at what you do.

outsider
10-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Why didn't you ask or let me know that you had misplaced my phone number?

I will pm you with it again and then we can talk about this issue.

Spoons
10-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Why didn't you ask or let me know that you had misplaced my phone number?

I will pm you with it again and then we can talk about this issue.

Wait sorry I'm kinda confused on what issue you are talking about... It is the one that you are a cheap prick and a total retard right?

A790
10-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

Wait sorry I'm kinda confused on what issue you are talking about... It is the one that you are a cheap prick and a total retard right?

That was hardly necessary :rolleyes:

kaishen
10-27-2007, 09:44 PM
outsider>>prob u can let us know the outcome of the negotiation?

i think with dropdat giving good response to this, it would definately fetch more business in this forum.

its all abt customer service

outsider
11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I will provide an update once Luke and I have met up.

The Cosworth
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
dropdat when I get my place, you are building my deck and landscaping.

I am a perfectionist but NOT a professional. (that home depot ad summarizes the way I am, I was so happy to hear it! :D)

Outsider I can understand what you are saying, you want to know what is going on with your stuff and get it fixed but if he doesn't have your number it would be VERY hard to let you know what is going on. too bad there isn't a mobile beyond yet.... hmmmmm

topher91
11-14-2007, 11:03 PM
:drama:

That's my house in one of those pix! haha

+ 1000000 for Luke and his boyz.

They do great work and are very reasonable and honest.

I will be calling on Luke for a fence in Spring/Summer next year for sure.

Chris

freshprince1
11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
this thread turned into a remarkable marketing freebie!!!

nice to see an honest contractor get some positive exposure.