PDA

View Full Version : Advice for my Dog

Davide
10-25-2007, 05:03 AM
I let my dog out about an hour ago, to do her business and wouldn't you know it, we got a freakin skunk in the back yard.

Anyway my dog seemed to have gotten sprayed in the face area. First I tried the old wives tale about tomato juice. Thats didn't do jack shit. So I called 311 and they said to mix a solution of 1 qrt 3% peroxide, 1/4 baking soda and 1-2 tsp of dish soap....but after I reiterated that she got sprayed in the face, they ruled that out.

Any suggestions? The house smellsa like ass too, now, been spraying air freshener for the past hour to no avail.

All ideas welcome :banghead:

Mangina
10-25-2007, 06:59 AM
New dog? :dunno:

bignerd
10-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Unfortunatley you need the acid and the soap to break down the skunks spray, the recipe you noted is what most dog people swear by. I would mix up the recipe as given to you and wash her head, use a sponge or face cloth around her mouth and eyes and do the best that you can. Don't wash her eyes with it but get as close as you are comfortable with. You can put cotton balls in her ears to keep the solution out of there. You may have to wash her a few times to get all the stink out.

Tomato juice won't do much and a lot of store bought remedies don't work well either. I would wash your clothes in a similar manner also or wear something you can throw away. Use towels to dry her that you don't want to keep either.

Good luck.

D. Dub
10-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Some pharmacies carry a product that will neutralize the scent.

Can't remember the name though.

Maybe google skunk scent neutralize or call a few pharmacies??

Cword
10-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Douche
used externally

codetrap
10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
We had the same thing happen to a dog visiting us. We found a recipe on the internet that was made up of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda..

* 1 quart hydrogen peroxide
(make sure you are using hydrogen peroxide)
* 1/4 cup baking soda
* 1 teaspoon liquid soap
* ix well and shampoo.

Worked like a charm.

E46..sTyLez
10-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
We had the same thing happen to a dog visiting us. We found a recipe on the internet that was made up of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda..

* 1 quart hydrogen peroxide
(make sure you are using hydrogen peroxide)
* 1/4 cup baking soda
* 1 teaspoon liquid soap
* ix well and shampoo.

Worked like a charm.

Did you read the original post? He said they already got that recipe but its on their dogs face...so they ruled it out.

codetrap
10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
I missed the part about the dogs face.. got distracted by phone calls...but in all truth, we did just that on our patient. She took it mostly in the mouth when she bit the damn thing.. her breath was rank..

We simply held the dog down, and washed gently around her face, then rinsed very thoroughly. We thought about mixing it with a no tears shampoo, but figured we wanted the dogs eyes to tear up to help with the rinsing.. so she had to tough it out.

It wasn't pleaseant by any means, but it worked just fine, and the dog is none the worse for wear now.

Davide
10-25-2007, 10:15 PM
I called a couple vets and they said to try with the above solution.

I've been keeping a close eye on here for the past 24hrs and she seems fine now, no red eyes, loss of appetite, although she is shedding quite a bit of hair where I applied the solution, is this normal?

Thanks for suggestions guys, much appreciated:thumbsup:

bignerd
10-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Were you rubbing her a lot where you applied the solution to get out the smell? I would think that would be normal after getting sprayed by skunk, having a rough bath and she has probably been pawing and whatnot at her face also due to being sprayed, as long as she isn't going bald or anything like that it should stop soon.

brandon
10-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Mangina
New dog? :dunno:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Davide
10-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
Were you rubbing her a lot where you applied the solution to get out the smell? I would think that would be normal after getting sprayed by skunk, having a rough bath and she has probably been pawing and whatnot at her face also due to being sprayed, as long as she isn't going bald or anything like that it should stop soon. ya thats what I was thinking, its pretty funny though, shes got like a mini mohawk going on lol