PDA

View Full Version : snow! time for winter tires?

riced
10-25-2007, 08:33 AM
so with last nights snow storm, did anyone slap on their winter tires for the season yet?
yesterday was 21C..
I'm debating whether or not to put mine on.. because if it gets warm again, my winter tires will be raped.

Nix87
10-25-2007, 08:43 AM
hold off until we get a real snow fall. Yesterday was nothing the roads are barely wet.

riced
10-25-2007, 08:45 AM
thats what I was thinking..
but today in the MRC parking lot, I've seen a lot of the cars with winter tires all of the sudden haha
made me wonder whether I should get mine on too

Mr_ET
10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
mine have been on since this weekend.

I would rather have my tires "raped" a few times before it really snows than have my car "rape" anothers rear bumper because I waited too long to change them.

btw all season are NOT good in the winter no matter what people in this city tell you.

LUCKYSTRIKE
10-25-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm definitely waiting a couple weeks before putting on the winters on my beater car. If you check out weather network it says its gonna be fairly sunny and fairly warm (for october) for the next couple weeks.

I just dont wanna rape good winters on the dry road.

Of course this is Calgary so it could go shitty with no warning.

riced
10-25-2007, 09:08 AM
oh snap, sorry mods.. i didn't see the snow thread in the general/off-topic section. you can delete this if you want, or... keep it to discuss putting winter tires on

mr_et, oh I would never rock all-seasons in the winter.. I've done it once and never again. I got my summers on right now and I remember I put them on too early during the fall and it snowed a bit and I couldn't even get up onto my driveway.

I guess they go on during the weekend.. good bye rims :(

4doorj
10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
i will be getting winters in the next couple weeks

Destinova403
10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
i bought and had my tires mounted... i just gotta get them bolted on the car... so mine go on whenever my shop isnt busy... :S

riced
10-25-2007, 12:09 PM
why not put them on yourself then? save money
it'll take like 30 minutes

Destinova403
10-25-2007, 12:34 PM
because they are mounting and everything for free... and im not exactly good at working on my car LOL

Kona9
10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE
I'm definitely waiting a couple weeks before putting on the winters on my beater car. If you check out weather network it says its gonna be fairly sunny and fairly warm (for october) for the next couple weeks.

I just dont wanna rape good winters on the dry road.

Of course this is Calgary so it could go shitty with no warning.

1) Weather Network FTL!!:thumbsdow

2) There is no such thing as a forecast in Calgary that lasts a couple weeks. They can not even be accurate on a 5 day forecast.

3) I'm hoping for exactly what you wrote, but good luck with your wheel and tire situation in the mean time.

jay42w8
10-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

btw all season are NOT good in the winter no matter what people in this city tell you.

funny how the only people that tell me this are young male sporty car driving types....every older person I've talked to that has drived in this city's winters for the past 20+ years has told me that all seasons are fine, esp. with a front wheel drive car........although, I myself am a young male driver with a bit of a lead foot....I'm gonna wait and see how it goes first.....

VetteRacin
10-25-2007, 11:17 PM
On the tireshop side of things for those who don't do it themselves please get in early to avoid the winter rush, 500 cars trying to all get in at the same time makes for a very unorganized and hectic day

Genjuro
10-25-2007, 11:22 PM
nope but the car is going to storage/garage for work when real snow hits.
2nd car ftw :)

4doorj
10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by jay42w8

funny how the only people that tell me this are young male sporty car driving types....every older person I've talked to that has drived in this city's winters for the past 20+ years has told me that all seasons are fine, esp. with a front wheel drive car........although, I myself am a young male driver with a bit of a lead foot....I'm gonna wait and see how it goes first.....
thats probably because all those old people are too cheap to buy winter tires

last year was the first time i ever drove on winters... i am now a firm beleiver!!!
i wont go a winter without winter tires

stopping and going was the easiest..
driving the deerfoot is less stressful :thumbsup:
easiest winter i ever have had!

CivicDXR
10-26-2007, 08:53 AM
mine are going on the truck this weekend... Just gonna paint the lip on the steelies red, then they are going on... steelies with style!! :D

sexualbanana
10-26-2007, 10:03 AM
i dont plan on putting mine on until halloween at the earliest. it usually snows on or around halloween and then it doesn't snow again until about mid november

riced
10-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
mine are going on the truck this weekend... Just gonna paint the lip on the steelies red, then they are going on... steelies with style!! :D

hahaha Time Attack style!

Mangina
10-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj

thats probably because all those old people are too cheap to buy winter tires

That's probably why older people pay WAY more for insurance too. Experience driving in shit > slapping on winters and driving like normal.

4doorj
10-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Mangina

That's probably why older people pay WAY more for insurance too. Experience driving in shit > slapping on winters and driving like normal.

ok fine...
experience driving in shit with winters>experience in driving in shit without winter tires

alloroc
10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Get winters - especially with a front wheel drive.
This is coming form a 43 year old Dad who has grown up in this city and started driving cars when he was 12.

alloroc
10-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Don't you mean pay *less* for insurance?

BokCh0y
10-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I had my winters mounted last saturday. why get caught with our pants down :D it's getting colder and the snow will come eventually. Just don't want to get up one morning, see a foot of snow and be like fock...then have to toss'em on right there.

Mangina
10-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Don't you mean pay *less* for insurance?

Come on, old man. My sarcasm, let me show you it.

alloroc
10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Ahh yes sarcasm.

I remember that.

What were we talking about again?

gofastmerc
10-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Placed my order with Tirerack yesterday.

:thumbsup:

4doorj
10-26-2007, 02:41 PM
got my eclipse and civic booked for winter tires next friday :thumbsup:

Mr_ET
10-26-2007, 03:13 PM

as long as you don't "see how it goes" your car in my rear bumper do what you want:thumbsup:

btw im 28 and soon to have 2 kids. I have been driving for 12 years and never had an accident in the winter. I am also from Quebec city where no winters are not an option.

if you want a tire that sucks for every season get all seasons. Id rather have a good performance tire and a good ice tire. Don't cheap out on safety, it's never worth it and always ends up costing more than a set of winters would have.

CLiVE
10-26-2007, 03:21 PM
mine have been on since this weekend.

I would rather have my tires "raped" a few times before it really snows than have my car "rape" anothers rear bumper because I waited too long to change them.

:werd: Also despite the 'nice' weather the roads are still fairly cold, so the tread wear shouldn't be too bad....

max_boost
10-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Some of these people who are constantly advocating all season tires during the coldest months of the years are morons.

Do you wear a winter jacket in the winter? How about winter boots? Gloves? etc. It's no fucking different for a car LOL

All seasons start losing their grip/effectiveness when the temp. starts dipping in the -7 range.

When you have two sets of tires, it prolongs the life of tread anyway. Winter tires are inexpensive. Even the cheapest set will be better than any all season tire.

The way I look at it, for that comfort, security and the fact that my deductible is the same amount as a set of tires, it's really a no brainer.

End rant.

My SLK is going in tomrrow (tires were on backorder) and I already put my Michelin PA2's on my WRX 3 weeks ago. :thumbsup:

E46..sTyLez
10-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Some of these people who are constantly advocating all season tires during the coldest months of the years are morons.

Do you wear a winter jacket in the winter? How about winter boots? Gloves? etc. It's no fucking different for a car LOL

All seasons start losing their grip/effectiveness when the temp. starts dipping in the -7 range.

When you have two sets of tires, it prolongs the life of tread anyway. Winter tires are inexpensive. Even the cheapest set will be better than any all season tire.

The way I look at it, for that comfort, security and the fact that my deductible is the same amount as a set of tires, it's really a no brainer.

End rant.

My SLK is going in tomrrow (tires were on backorder) and I already put my Michelin PA2's on my WRX 3 weeks ago. :thumbsup:

I always used all season on my civic, didn't even have a scare. My confidence comes from my driving, not my tires(on a FWD car)..;) haha

on the bimmer though...or any RWD, winters for tha ma fuckin win lol

Im just givin ya a hard time Sam haha

p.s. I wear a spring & fall jacket in the winter!! :D hahaha

Mr_ET
10-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I also would like to give a big thumbs up to all the people only changing the tires on the wheels putting down power because that's all you really need.:rofl:

it's like running outside with one winter boot on and one running shoe, someone please try this and post pics of the results:thumbsup:

CivicDXR
10-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I also would like to give a big thumbs up to all the people only changing the tires on the wheels putting down power because that's all you really need.:rofl:

it's like running outside with one winter boot on and one running shoe, someone please try this and post pics of the results:thumbsup:

+1 :rofl: I love people that think that 2 winter tires is all they need... :rofl:

I remember reading somewhere that it is worse than running summer tires because if you put the winters on the front (FWD), the rear swings out. If you put them on the rear (RWD), the front have no grip and the rear is overpowering the front which brings severe understreer...

4doorj
10-26-2007, 04:13 PM
:rofl:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/d189379/chainsonmustang.jpg

Mr_ET
10-26-2007, 06:19 PM
^WINNAR!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

civicluva
10-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Get winters - especially with a front wheel drive.

Are you serious man? You might want to rephrase that to rear wheel drive so that you can at LEAST get around.

Mr_ET
10-26-2007, 08:57 PM
^ FAIL

Speed_69
10-27-2007, 02:37 AM
I'm getting my winters put on November 9. Hopefully it doesnt' snow too much until then.

alloroc
10-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by civicluva

Are you serious man? You might want to rephrase that to rear wheel drive so that you can at LEAST get around.

Guess I should have added AWD to the above as well so you may be able to understand. If I have learned anything it is the people with false confidence that I end up seeing in the ditch. If you 'think' you don't need winters because you have FWD or AWD then you definitely do.

Getting around / getting suck is not the problem I have with people without winter tires. Losing corner control and stopping distances are.

Read This
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/traction2006.htm

Conclusions
It's the tires, stupid! Well, something like that. Of all the tests and exercises we conducted during Traction 2006, vehicles with winter tires stopped one-to-two car lengths before vehicles with all-season tires, and they provided better grip in the corners.

Canmorite
10-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I usually do the winters + AWD combo but I think I'll leave the seasonals on...

troyl
10-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Love my PA2's!

max_boost
10-27-2007, 12:14 PM
^^

Indeed they are great. H-rated tire. The compound is perfect. I drive no different in them compared to my Yoko Parada's :thumbsup:

Destinova403
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM
mine just went on... my car looks soo... boring again... its so depressing, even if its just for the winter.

CivicDXR
11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Well, the 'Time Attack' steelies with winters went on Saturday afternoon while it was still warm outside... glad I didn't wait till my truck is covered in snow and I'm freezing in the garage...

I hate how tiny and sucked in the 15's look compared to the stock 18" summer wheels... :cry: :cry:

oh well, safety first...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5894/img0088zp5.jpg
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5015/img0089xy2.jpg

TeamBestBud
11-05-2007, 12:40 AM
It's definitely time for winters. Especially if your driving a car that has a 4x100 bolt pattern.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/196210/fs-185-65-15-kumho-kw19s-winter/

Mangina
11-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
Well, the 'Time Attack' steelies with winters went on Saturday afternoon while it was still warm outside... glad I didn't wait till my truck is covered in snow and I'm freezing in the garage...

I hate how tiny and sucked in the 15's look compared to the stock 18" summer wheels... :cry: :cry:

oh well, safety first...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5894/img0088zp5.jpg
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5015/img0089xy2.jpg

:barf:

CivicDXR
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM

:barf:

believe me, I know... but I'd rather have the truck look gross in the winter than to have it look banged up and nasty in the summer...

riced
11-05-2007, 11:14 AM
hahaha that looks better than i thought it would

riced
11-05-2007, 11:15 AM
got my custom white bad boys on

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w35/hoangur/pics040.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w35/hoangur/pics039.jpg

Canmorite
11-05-2007, 11:24 AM
CivicDXR the truck looks sweet! Don't see many like that...