PDA

View Full Version : Beware Canada Auto Index

4doorj
10-25-2007, 10:04 AM
so i just recently put my car for sale on craigslist and kijiji to try and sell it
i got a call a week later from a company call canada auto index
they say they specialize in getting car loans for high risk people
he said he has a guy that got accepted for a car loan and he was looking for a eclipse. Says that he is ready to buy in 72 hours. blah, blah, blah. Says he has to call him to tell him that I still have my car. Calls back exactly two hours later like he said. Says yes he is still looking for it. So basically he says he wants my car info including vin number. I knew this was totally sketchy sounding. He asked me if I emailed him yet, I said yes even though I really didnt. He says in order to finish the sale off he needs to do a lean check and carfax. So I say im busy call me back. He calls me back an hour later and says he needs a $300 for the lean check. I tell him lean check is $30 a most. Then starts talking bullshit about how he needs somoene to look at the car at paper work and other crap.
I say total scam!! hahahhahaha
I wonder how many people fall for this crap.
How can he go on knowing hes scamming people
:guns:

that is all

Toms-SC
10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Holy crap this is a new scam, I've never heard of it.

4doorj
10-25-2007, 10:24 AM
yeah and the thing is.. it always sounded fishy.. but he was good.. in my opinion... like he totally made it sound like he was actually working with someone...
good actor

Tik-Tok
10-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

good actor

Most scammers/salesmen are.

403Gemini
10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
$300 for a lien check? :clap: :rofl: thats awesome haha

Shane1
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
anyone have any info on how to contact these assclowns?

Crymson
01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
There is probably a dozen threads on beyond regarding this scam.

Shane1
01-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Only 2 show up when you search it...

I need to find the guy who scammed me.

I have his number but the coward will not answer his phone. Message says he is the finance manager... my ass.

Masked Bandit
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
I KNEW THIS WAS BULLSHIT!

The guy called me just a couple of days ago saying the same thing. Phucker.

ekcondon
01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
4doorj - I'm glad to hear I am not the only one that has been contacted by these SOBs:guns: They did the same thing when I was trying to sell my Grand Am GT. According to the lady that called me they look on Autotrader/Kijiji/Craig's for cars for high risk people (Not to repeat what 4doorj said very well). When they told me they need $275 to process all the paperwork arrange the sale, etc. I asked why so high, same bullshit they probably gave you! Anyway, I am glad to see someone has posted and we can hopefully save some people from loosing a chunk of cash! If the person that called you was a guy, I wonder if there are more people in on it, as mine was a women, same "company" though, I'll never forget the name. Out of curiosity, where did they say they operated out of?

speedykid
12-14-2008, 10:05 AM
canadaautoindex and indexmediautos sounds like the same company even looks the same, but all together it sounds "fishy" www.indexmediaautos.com (http://www.indexmediaautos.com)

Will I get my money back?

After listing I got a call from another company saying the same thing about people interested in my car. I think I got ripped off no calls and haven't heard from any buyers yet I should have seen this coming because nobody whats a sport car this time of year.:banghead:

Kloubek
12-14-2008, 10:33 AM
There are a few sites like this. These scams prey on people who put their ads up on the free sites as you did.

I decided to follow one though when I got a phone call, but made sure everything was documented and I had a way out. They gave me the speel where they find buyers who are high risk, and give them loans. He said he had a buyer and he would bring him by the next day if I paid their "fee". Said it was only a pre-auth, and not an actual charge. So I agreed. He contacted me back later that day, and asked for pictures. Ok... sure. I sent them.

But the next day, guess what... no buyer. Instead, they put an ad for my car up on their site, and that's it. Then they charged my card $325 or something like that. Would not return my emails, would not return my phone calls.

I disputed it with my card company, and they claimed they did exactly what they said they would... which is put an ad up on their site. They said "how would we have the pictures and all the information unless he agreed to put an ad up on our site?" Said they never claimed they were bringing a buyer by. Total scam 100%. But in the end, I proved that they did not follow through on what they said they would do, and I got my money back. The manager I ended up dealing with claimed the guy who called me was fired for improper business practices. Right.

This all happened about 2 years ago. I checked about 6 months ago, and my ad was still on their site. I haven't even had the car for a year! I have, to date, received zero phone calls on it.

The moral of the story: If you get a phone call from ANYONE offering you to advertise your vehicle - simply say "no". Even if you get your money back like I did, it's not worth the hassle.

HiTempguy1
12-14-2008, 11:18 AM
The moral of the story: If you get a phone call from ANYONE offering you to advertise your vehicle - simply say "no". Even if you get your money back like I did, it's not worth the hassle.

Except the autotrader. If they see you have your car posted in Kijiji or the like, they'll give you a wicked deal. I think I got 4 weeks online and in print (color) of my '04 Golf I was trying to sell. It was $99 plus tax! Thats a pretty friggin' good deal.

peat
12-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Thats a pretty friggin' good deal.

Do you know how many visits your ad gets on their crappy web site? I guarantee less than 10 per month. Even if its 20 bucks to put it on their site, absolutely nobody goes to it. Heck, who even knew about their web page? Nobody knows until someone bitches about getting ripped off.

If you can't afford autotrader, post it on Kijiji because those are the only two places I will ever post my car unless its on a Calgary based forum.

Preslow
12-14-2008, 08:47 PM
yeah autotrader.com doesn't get too many views.
the print gets way more.

Sorath
12-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Most scammers/salesmen are.

why do u generalize, im offended by that

max_boost
12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Someone will fall for it. Good on ya to spot it Jason!

corsvette
12-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Trader is the way to go to get SERIOUS buyers.not saying that can not be done with kijiji or others,but i find the online ads generate a lot of time wasters and lowballers.