PDA

View Full Version : 89 toyota supra

calepeters
10-25-2007, 02:43 PM
hey so I was just looking for some advice,
i found an 89 supra for sale, i decided I like it and the only problem it has it it needs a new head gasket, now im clueless when it comes to fixing cars, so i just wanted to find out here

my friend says he'd be able to put it in for me, apparently a v6 has 2 head gasket's or soemthing?

if anyone knows that would be great, and how much would a head gasket cost?

Datsun-Fever
10-25-2007, 02:49 PM
lol its an inline 6...one headgasket

BenC
10-25-2007, 03:00 PM
have fun with that
you can get gasket sets for 300ish
have fun getting the head machined while you do it

Hi-Psi
10-25-2007, 03:03 PM
It has 1 headgasket and not just anyone can fix it. It's not something that can be done by an amature so I'd either get it fixed by a shop that knows Toyota Supras or I'd find someone in the Supra group here in Calgary that will do it for you.

I know a lot of the guys in the Calgary group as I used to organize most of the meets here but not many would be willing to do the job for you. Plus you have to be aware that the headgasket might not be the only problem! When they pull the head off to get it machined, there could be some nasty pitting by the coolant passages on the block that could require you to get the block machined as well or even replaced if the pitting is bad enough.

I'd only trust someone that knows these cars in and out to do the headgasket!

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Jay

calepeters
10-25-2007, 03:04 PM
ok so I called auto value and they have them for 139$ and is it really that big a deal to get the old one off and the new one in? can it be done?

calepeters
10-25-2007, 03:05 PM
ok thanks alot i'll think ill have to reconsider

Hi-Psi
10-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah well I would only replace it with a genuine Toyota gasket or a metal headgasket with the right prep work. For a metal headgasket I suggest either the Greddy or HKS metal headgasket.

Jay

Annoyingrob
10-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by calepeters
ok so I called auto value and they have them for 139$ and is it really that big a deal to get the old one off and the new one in? can it be done?
It's not THAT big of a deal to take the head off. I've done it in an evening, but if you've never done it before, give yourself a weekend. Once you open it up, send the head off to a machine shop to get it machined flat (get the rear timing cover plate machined with it). Should take them a day to do it. Order some ARP head studs. Not only will it be easier to assemble with the studs, they won't stretch.

As long as you follow the service manual, paying LOTS of attention to the order in which to take the head bolts off, you'll be all good.

also check out the Alberta Supra club: www.supraclub.ca , and SupraMania www.supramania.com . Those two sites will be able to answer any question you should have about Supras.

As for head gaskets, go with a composite material for now. It's a lot more work to make a metal one work properly. An OEM head gasket shouldn't cost all that much. I just picked one up for a 5M for $85.

CelicaST-162
10-27-2007, 12:44 AM
^^ It is the Front timing cover plate actually. Since you are sending it out, it would be very wise to have the valve seals replaced as well.

kvanderlaag
10-27-2007, 01:41 AM
You know, while you're at it, just rebuild the entire fuckin' motor. If it had HG problems, it probably had cooling/oil problems, and so we all know that means it'll probably develop a knock down the line. And I mean, you've already got it apart, might as well go with forged pistons and rods, and have the whole thing machined and rebalanced for cleaner revving. If you're having it machined, you should go ahead and have the cylinders bored out, and make those forged pistons oversized. If you're going to make any power out of it later, you might as well do it right the first time.

Headgaskets on these things never end pretty. If it's an NA, don't even waste your time with it. If it's a turbo, maybe. But the general gist of things is that if you're clueless when it comes to fixing cars, you're better off staying far, far away from the MkIII. (That's pronounced "mark three," by the way.)

That said, a headgasket's not the end of the world, if you're okay having the head machined. Past that, it's not really rocket science getting it off (even I can do that without warping shit) and back on again (though it's a little bit trickier). All in all, if you're really going to be content with a stock mk3, the body/interior's good, and the price is reasonable, go for it. They're fun cars.

BenC
10-27-2007, 01:47 AM
exactly what kvanderlaag said
not cars for the cheap thats for sure

im just waiting for my n/a to crap out so i can swap
going to purchase the engine springtime, then work on it while i DD it.

but he's right. mk3's are awesome fun cars when theyre running good.

kvanderlaag
10-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Q: What's the easiest way to make a mk3 really fast?

A: Take the engine out of it an put it in a mk2.

=D

BenC
10-27-2007, 02:29 AM
that wouldnt make the mk3 fast =p
just the mk2 retardedly fun!

HondaRice
10-27-2007, 03:31 PM
just replace the engine. your very likely to also have engine knock. pick up jdm at jdmsource.

stevo 27
10-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by kvanderlaag

A: Take the engine out of it an put it in a mk2.

=D

wrong answer ;)

A: Push it off a cliff :devil:

Annoyingrob
10-27-2007, 05:04 PM
This wouldn't happen to be Nathan Rogers' old car would it?

Originally posted by HondaRice
just replace the engine. your very likely to also have engine knock. pick up jdm at jdmsource.
Which you'll have to rebuild anyways unless you want another BHG.

Originally posted by stevo 27
A: Push it off a cliff :devil:
A: Give it to Rob. He can make it fast ;)

89s1
10-27-2007, 05:40 PM
i cant beleive this hasnt been mentioned.

there are new torque specs released from toyota that you need to torque the new gasket to, they had problems with headgaskets blowing so they re-vamped the tq numbers.

look into it, as i'm not 100% sure of the numbers.

stevo 27
10-27-2007, 07:08 PM
i was kidding about the cliff thing

Originally posted by Annoyingrob
This wouldn't happen to be Nathan Rogers' old car would it?

Which you'll have to rebuild anyways unless you want another BHG.

A: Give it to Rob. He can make it fast ;)

but this is true very true haha :burnout:

R!zz0
10-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Call JDM Source and ask them for a new engine that has low kms on it. I think you're better off swapping an engine then doing the head gasket.

HondaRice
10-28-2007, 10:16 AM
you will hardly find a 7m-gte (?) engine that is not knocking or have a bad headgasket. engine is very but without oil it will ruin and cause bearing knock.

Annoyingrob
10-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
i cant beleive this hasnt been mentioned.

there are new torque specs released from toyota that you need to torque the new gasket to, they had problems with headgaskets blowing so they re-vamped the tq numbers.

look into it, as i'm not 100% sure of the numbers.
Correct. They bumped them up from 58 to 70 something. I think 71 ft/lbs. But if you're putting ARP head studs in, you'll be following ARP's torque specs anyways, so it's a moot point.

calepeters
11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
one last thing, lets say their was a supra with like 180,xxx kms on the body and 80,xxx on the engine, how long do you think the car will last as a daily driver? because even tho engine has been rebuilt theirs still high kms on the body, obviously the car wont run the same as if it had only 80,xxx kms on it, but what is one to expect?

Annoyingrob
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
As long as there aren't any rust holes, the body will last forever. Don't get a (really) rusty Supra.

In all seriousness, there are MKIIIs out there with 300k on them running fine. 180k on a Toyota is just breaking in. I used to have 465k on my truck, and it ran like new (It leaked a lot of oil, but it ran like new :))

If you want a MKIII Supra, they are very fun cars to drive. The motor does have some difficulties, but with proper prevention, you will never have problem with them. Just be prepared for the constant minor work you have to do on the car. Little things like to happen all the time on them.

FWIW, I know 2 people that have owned Supras for 20+ years, and will never get rid of them.

HondaRice
11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
As long as there aren't any rust holes, the body will last forever. Don't get a (really) rusty Supra.

In all seriousness, there are MKIIIs out there with 300k on them running fine. 180k on a Toyota is just breaking in. I used to have 465k on my truck, and it ran like new (It leaked a lot of oil, but it ran like new :))

If you want a MKIII Supra, they are very fun cars to drive. The motor does have some difficulties, but with proper prevention, you will never have problem with them. Just be prepared for the constant minor work you have to do on the car. Little things like to happen all the time on them.

FWIW, I know 2 people that have owned Supras for 20+ years, and will never get rid of them.

calgarysupra has his 92 i think with about 350 on it