PDA

View Full Version : wage expectations for entry level tech support?

Ronmon
10-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Hey, just curious if anybody knows some rough wage expectations for entry level tech support, i went to an interview a few days ago and i feel it went well. but that was wont thing that was not discussed, and i was uncomfortable bringing it up.

it is entry level, basic server admin, helping users with e-commerce... etc.... i have no education at all (well grade 12 grad, but that's it) no experience int he field that is notable... i do have a lot of experience with computers, just no formal training or experience.

Thanks for the help.

Lex350
10-26-2007, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't pay you over 30k for no experience and no education. If I was in your situation I would go learn a trade. The money is better up front and in 10 years there is going to be a huge shortage of qualified tradesmen.....although you won't be able to throw a rock more than 4 feet without hitting someone with a "Business" degree.

adamc
10-26-2007, 09:29 AM
A journeyman welder at my company is making over $90/hr

Food for thought :)

adamc
10-26-2007, 09:29 AM
For an entry level tech support position you're probably looking at anywhere from $12 to $17 per hour at the high end.

BokCh0y
10-26-2007, 09:39 AM
37-40k/year is reasonable but that's usually for someone that has a college diploma at the minimum.

With no formal training and educational backing, $15-$17/hr is a good start.

If anything, take some certificate courses at Sait - basic hardware and blah blah.

Euro838
10-26-2007, 01:47 PM
All depends on the size of the place too. Probably around $30K sounds about right. Also depends what type of server stuff you can admin. If it's just basic windows file sharing, workstations and some security, can't expect too much.

Toms-SC
10-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Get an education

Thaco
10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Get an education some people do not have the time or finances to "get an education", people with a family and mortgage payment cant just drop everything and go back to school.

Rav4Guy
10-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
If I was in your situation I would go learn a trade.

...although you won't be able to throw a rock more than 4 feet without hitting someone with a "Business" degree.

With that being said... isn't it also true that you won't be able to throw a rock more than a foot without hitting someone without a degree?

not trying to degrade people without a degree but imo, something is better than nothing.

Toms-SC
10-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
some people do not have the time or finances to "get an education", people with a family and mortgage payment cant just drop everything and go back to school.

Priority planning would have avoided this.

Thaco
10-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Priority planning would have avoided this.

Apparently not everybody is perfect like you.

benyl
10-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
some people do not have the time or finances to "get an education", people with a family and mortgage payment cant just drop everything and go back to school.

sacrifices need to be made. I work full time, go to school full time, and run a restaurant on the side. I sacrifice sleep, hanging out with friends and family, playing games, etc. For what? ahaha, I am not sure yet. But if there is a will, there is a way.

Saying that you do not have time or finances is a cop out. Ask the guy the movie 'Happyness' is based on about the subject.

Student loans can be had, there are scholarships. Ask your current employer about education benefits. There are many "blue" collar companies that will help pay for or pay for your entire education.

You wife may hate you for a couple of years while you do it, but when you are making more money afterward, she will be giving you BJs on demand. hahahhahahaha

Lex350
10-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by benyl

sacrifices need to be made. I work full time, go to school full time, and run a restaurant on the side. I sacrifice sleep, hanging out with friends and family, playing games, etc. For what? ahaha, I am not sure yet. But if there is a will, there is a way.

Saying that you do not have time or finances is a cop out. Ask the guy the movie 'Happyness' is based on about the subject.

Student loans can be had, there are scholarships. Ask your current employer about education benefits. There are many "blue" collar companies that will help pay for or pay for your entire education.

You wife may hate you for a couple of years while you do it, but when you are making more money afterward, she will be giving you BJs on demand. hahahhahahaha

I agree...this is the sort of thing I was getting at in the Stelmach"sky is falling" thread. People need to set priorities and make the sacrifices to to get what they want out of life. If that means work two jobs...so be it.

If I was just starting out now, I would definitly go into the trades. With the boomers starting to retire there is going to be such a demand for quality trades people. Watch how much it will cost to get a plumber in 10 years. He'll come over, right after the oil change is done on his M5

max_boost
10-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by benyl

That is a ridiculous schedule. :eek: The end goal sounds good though, a boat load of $$$ and BJs on demand hahaha:rofl: :thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
10-29-2007, 04:28 AM
And if your unable to go to school at this time, there are decent jobs out there making 40k or more to start without any experience or education. or heavy lifting... don't settle...

swak
10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
And if your unable to go to school at this time, there are decent jobs out there making 40k or more to start without any experience or education. or heavy lifting... don't settle...

like what?

omagedon
10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Well I don't know...but my company I work for hires people who don't know computers for 38K+ a year (22/hr)....to support computers..

Annoying...