PDA

View Full Version : CEO of BMW Canada answers questions about CDN/US price discrepancies

rc2002
10-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Basically a big F-U to Canadian buyers.

Click here (http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071025.wbmw_discussion1025/BNStory/Business/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20071025.wbmw_discussion1025)

Crymson
10-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Absolute horse shite. Seriously, the average BMW shopper/owner is NOT RETARDED ENOUGH TO BELIEVE YOU. What a shit head.

finboy
10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Absolute horse shite. Seriously, the average BMW shopper/owner is NOT RETARDED ENOUGH TO BELIEVE YOU. What a shit head.

:werd:

people who drive bmw's aren't stupid :thumbsup:

khtm
10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
That guy is a frickin' asshole, I love how he skirts around the questions and puts words in people mouth (like "You mention an MSRP difference" which isn't mentioned at all).

What a douce bag.

I bet he never signals either when he drives his BMW.

cloud7
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
that guy just sounds like every car salesman that I had the "pleasure" of dealing with... :dunno:

Sasuke_Kensai
10-26-2007, 02:14 PM
"Our policies are flawless, you're a retard for even questioning our absolutely clear truths, and I'm your friend even though I don't know you at all. Now go bend over and buy a new BMW at inflated Canadian prices"

Dritto
10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
I can totally understand a price difference, being two different countries with different regulations, and Canada is of course a smaller market. But like the price of the metallic paint option, $450 in the US and $800 in Canada, for example, is not justifiable any way to look at it.

I'd like to know why 'costs of scheduled maintenance, service loaner costs' are factored into the cost of a new vehicle, and why these things could possibly be worth more money in Canada than in the United States.

The best part is his photograph, the slick hair-doo and the empty smile. He looks so trustworthy and honest. :rolleyes:

whiskas
10-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by finboy

people who drive bmw's aren't stupid :thumbsup:

Except for the people who will be driving 08 models bought in Canada.

benyl
10-26-2007, 04:00 PM
costs of scheduled maintenance, service loaner costs, roadside assistance

These are all included in the US price as well. Does he really think BMW owners are that stupid? ;)

This guy is the king of all douche bag BMW owners.

Team_BMW
10-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey people that drive BMW's must be smart! LOL gotta throw this in.

2EFNFAST
10-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Car companies are fricken retarded today - e.g., it's absolutely stupid that several years ago there's no problem w/ Americans coming into Canada to take advantage of our weak dollar, but as soon as the situation is reversed, CLOSE THE BORDERS!!

rage2
10-26-2007, 08:19 PM
The recall letter is 100% BS. You do not get a $20us (or $19 cdn lol) car fax report, you do not get a full inspection. They look at your car, verify the VIN, and print out what's necessary. It costs them nothing. Well, 5 mins of work for someone haha.

boxer23
10-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by benyl

This guy is the king of all douche bag BMW owners.

rage2

haha I keed I keed

:D

Redlyne_mr2
10-26-2007, 08:44 PM
hahaha .. im the first person to back dealers in this country but this guy embarasses us all

Iain Munro from Calgary Canada writes: Will there be any rebates given to those who purchased earlier in the year?

Lindsay Duffield, BMW Canada: Hello Iain, I hear you have snow in Calgary. A good time to get one of our 12 X-Drive models and enjoy the winter. We've been offering very attractive lease and finance rates all year, so if you leased/financed your vehicle with BMW Financial Services, you would have already received a very attractive program. Our lease and financing programs have incentives greater than the value of the rebates. We announced the rebates as of October 17th, so that the small percentage of customers that actually pay cash could quantify the value of the incentives being offered on a specific model. We do change our programs on a regular basis and so it does depend on when you buy the car, as to what program is available at that time. I'm not sure when you bought or what, but you can ask the folks at BMW Calgary or Gallery and they can walk you through the details.

All the best, and go Flames!

mekeni
10-26-2007, 10:09 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: bravo !! well done !!

This guy is the king !!

Xtrema
10-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Worse Q&A session evar.

Mibz
10-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Sorry I can't be more specific on your question, but I can certainly help you buy a new or pre-owned BMW in Canada.That pretty much sums up the entire interview.

adamc
10-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I will still be buying my m5 in the states..

mekeni
10-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by adamc
I will still be buying my m5 in the states..

except, it's E90 for me...

Rat Fink
10-27-2007, 01:53 PM

rmk
10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Worse Q&A session evar.

+1

Wow :nut:

Ekliptix
10-27-2007, 02:03 PM
What a bunch of BS. They didn't even have any reasonable answers prepared.

88jbody
10-27-2007, 02:13 PM
he couldn't even make up a good lie :rofl:

alloroc
10-27-2007, 09:25 PM
The problem isn't the Canadian dollar getting stronger it is the US dollar getting weaker.

What would be funny (and almost logical) is if all the US car prices started going up to be on par with the Canadian prices.

reno97637
10-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Me and wifey were looking into getting an M3 but after reading that link, I'm not going to support BMW till the company takes the public seriously.

Toms-SC
10-28-2007, 12:28 AM
What on earth was that?

sexualbanana
10-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Car companies are fricken retarded today - e.g., it's absolutely stupid that several years ago there's no problem w/ Americans coming into Canada to take advantage of our weak dollar, but as soon as the situation is reversed, CLOSE THE BORDERS!!

Americans are renowned for being able to protect themselves. There are numerous laws and regulations (public and private) out there whose sole purpose it is to protect themselves, which, ironically enough, can also screw Americans in the process.

Eleanor
10-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Some of the people had good comments. it's up to people here not to buy the vehicles at artificially inflated prices. as long as they can keep selling cars here for $20,000 more then in the states, they will. If he would have come out and said that i would have much more respect for him then his BS about warranties and service blah blah blah in that article. I can't believe that no one has dropped their prices significantly. You know how much people would love that? I mean yeah they wouldn't make as much profit per car, but they would sure sell more and look much better in the consumers eyes. If honda dropped the price on their civics by $4000, how many corolla's would sell?

Eleanor
10-28-2007, 01:18 PM
another comment:

Sam Snead from Canada writes:
THE NEW BMW slogan ... if you're stupid, we've got a car for you.

BlueFrenzy
10-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow. Just wow. I like how he tries to throw off the questions by mentioning a finance rates, lease incentives and "customer service". He even goes to insult the intelligence of the first questioner by calling his $15,000 US vs Canada saving, a "perceived" saving.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
What on earth was that?

Reverse bukkake

googe
10-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
The problem isn't the Canadian dollar getting stronger it is the US dollar getting weaker.

What would be funny (and almost logical) is if all the US car prices started going up to be on par with the Canadian prices.

Not true, common misconception. The Canadian dollar has been performing well on it's own.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/CAD/hist2007.html

soloracer
10-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Before you blame the dealerships you have to remember the dealerships are locally owned and buy their cars from the manufacturer at the rates the manufacturer sets.

For example, Porsches are also priced higher here than in the states - primarily because Porsche Cars North America (the importer for the manufacturer) sold them to US dealers at a different price than they sold them to Canadian dealers. The dealerships in Canada had enough and threatened to join forces and buy their cars directly from Porsche AG if PCNA didn't fix the problem. As a result there is movement on the price of Porsche's in Canada. Are the dealers here still getting screwed and thus the Canadian consumer getting screwed? I don't know but at least they made the effort and some progress was made.

With BMW I suspect it's not your dealer that is the problem. The problem is BMW Canada and the only people that will be able to make changes there are the dealerships.

em2ab
10-28-2007, 07:08 PM
What a douchebag, people were asking him specific questions related to specific costs of specific items and he couldn't answer shit. I'll be getting a Z4 in the new year and it won't be Canadian.

Weapon_R
10-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
Before you blame the dealerships you have to remember the dealerships are locally owned and buy their cars from the manufacturer at the rates the manufacturer sets.

For example, Porsches are also priced higher here than in the states - primarily because Porsche Cars North America (the importer for the manufacturer) sold them to US dealers at a different price than they sold them to Canadian dealers. The dealerships in Canada had enough and threatened to join forces and buy their cars directly from Porsche AG if PCNA didn't fix the problem. As a result there is movement on the price of Porsche's in Canada. Are the dealers here still getting screwed and thus the Canadian consumer getting screwed? I don't know but at least they made the effort and some progress was made.

With BMW I suspect it's not your dealer that is the problem. The problem is BMW Canada and the only people that will be able to make changes there are the dealerships.

Either way, not the buyer's problem. Prices have to come down to reflect their true costs, or buyers are going to purchase elsewhere.

em2ab
10-28-2007, 08:05 PM
I just checked the BMW websites for price comparisons on my future Z4.

Canadian:
BMW Z4 3.0i = $53,000
BMW Z4 3.0si = $59,000
BMW M Roadster = $69,000

USA:
BMW Z4 3.0i = $36,000
BMW Z4 3.0si = $40,000
BMW M roadster = $52,000

WTF is wrong with this picture?

rage2
10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Canadian:
BMW Z4 3.0i = $53,000
BMW Z4 3.0si = $59,000
BMW M Roadster = $69,000

USA:
BMW Z4 3.0i = $36,000
BMW Z4 3.0si = $40,000
BMW M roadster = $52,000

The Cdn price includes floormats and block heaters! :rofl:

tentacles
10-28-2007, 08:11 PM
The USDM Z4 doesn't have floormats? :confused:

kaput
10-28-2007, 08:12 PM

rage2
10-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
The USDM Z4 doesn't have floormats? :confused:
They do, but the dude in the interview makes it sound like it doesn't.

Weapon_R
10-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Canadian:
BMW Z4 3.0i = $53,000
BMW Z4 3.0si = $59,000
BMW M Roadster = $69,000

USA:
BMW Z4 3.0i = $36,000
BMW Z4 3.0si = $40,000
BMW M roadster = $52,000

pfft...you get more "robust" features with a Canadian model. At only 20k more, it's a steal

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Either way, not the buyer's problem. Prices have to come down to reflect their true costs, or buyers are going to purchase elsewhere.
Prices cannot go down.. Porsche is facing a ton of lawsuits because of their reductions... it also destroys the resale value of used vehicles. What Lexus is doing is altering the packages and including much more items for the base price... the price of the 08 gs350 awd should be around 63K... which is a steal considering there is only going to be one package and it will be a fully equipped one.. navi, bluetooth, back up cam, etc.

Hakkola
10-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Prices cannot go down.. Porsche is facing a ton of lawsuits because of their reductions...

I don't buy it, you have a source for that?

gpomp
10-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I don't buy it, you have a source for that? don't worry, redlyne works for the car companies.

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2007, 10:33 PM

I don't buy it, you have a source for that?
lol whats not to buy? Porsche pissed off a lot of people when it dropped their pricing.. At the same time they had no choice since 95% of porsche sales are cash deals.

Supa Dexta
10-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't see how people can make a court case out of this. thats the way the world goes, buy a computer now, its shit tomorrow.. dollar goes up, dollar goes down, live with it.. whiny fucks.

Oh boo hoo I bought a 250k house for 500k last yr.. boo hoo.. I want money because of my stupid "investment"

SilverRex
10-29-2007, 08:03 AM

Prices cannot go down.. Porsche is facing a ton of lawsuits because of their reductions... it also destroys the resale value of used vehicles. What Lexus is doing is altering the packages and including much more items for the base price... the price of the 08 gs350 awd should be around 63K... which is a steal considering there is only going to be one package and it will be a fully equipped one.. navi, bluetooth, back up cam, etc.

where did u see that?

the current lexus canadian website only shows 07 models.

if that is the case, can I assume they will offer good options on the IS350 as well?

Weapon_R
10-29-2007, 08:11 AM
since 95% of porsche sales are cash deals.

Source? I'm willing to bet that anyone with that much cash knows how much better it is to finance a car like that rather than buy it straight out.

funkedelic
10-29-2007, 08:15 AM
what a fucking load of shit, it is a different market.. YES but it doesn't mean you should be paying more for the same car if its the exact same thing on either side of the boarder esspecially since our dollar is matched, just doesn't make sense, and its bullshit that some dealerships are now banning sales to Canadians. People just can't stand having other people save money when all the money you could have saved ends up in their pockets. :guns:

Redlyne_mr2
10-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex

where did u see that?

the current lexus canadian website only shows 07 models.

if that is the case, can I assume they will offer good options on the IS350 as well?
Insider info my friend..
08 IS packages are already determined... not sure if those will change or not.

Redlyne_mr2
10-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Source? I'm willing to bet that anyone with that much cash knows how much better it is to finance a car like that rather than buy it straight out.
When I say cash they may have sourced their funds from an loc... porsche financial services have terrible rates, add the fact that most people only drive their porsche on a seasonal basis and that what leads to a cash buyer. Lexus and even MB are mainly cash buyers due to their less attractive finance rates, the clientele for the most part really arent that interested in financing or leasing either.

analbumcover
10-29-2007, 08:27 AM
im going shopping this weekend in Toronto not Buffalo

... great to know, lets jump him haha

adamc
10-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I don't see how people can make a court case out of this. thats the way the world goes, buy a computer now, its shit tomorrow.. dollar goes up, dollar goes down, live with it.. whiny fucks.

Oh boo hoo I bought a 250k house for 500k last yr.. boo hoo.. I want money because of my stupid "investment"

There's a difference between appreciation/depreciation which are unregulated occurrences, and what this is, price gouging.

TorqueDog
10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by adamc
I will still be buying my m5 in the states.. I bought mine locally solely for the convenience (I had a trade, too), since I just couldn't be arsed to put that much effort into buying a daily driver.

Hakkola
10-29-2007, 10:18 AM

lol whats not to buy? Porsche pissed off a lot of people when it dropped their pricing.. At the same time they had no choice since 95% of porsche sales are cash deals.

I know there are lawsuits ragarding how products are over priced, but I searched google and didn't see anyone threatening lawsuits due to lowered prices. So like I said, I don't buy it. No lawyer would be dumb enough to take the case anyway. I don't sue futureshop after boxing day because the t.v I bought 6 months ago went on sale, I wouldn't win.

Redlyne_mr2
10-29-2007, 10:45 AM

I know there are lawsuits ragarding how products are over priced, but I searched google and didn't see anyone threatening lawsuits due to lowered prices. So like I said, I don't buy it. No lawyer would be dumb enough to take the case anyway. I don't sue futureshop after boxing day because the t.v I bought 6 months ago went on sale, I wouldn't win.
im not saying that theyre smart for doing it, I think its retarded. I dont really have any reason so make it up lol. A friend of mine works for Porsche NA, she was telling me about all the issues they've been having with their price reduction. The reduction in prices hasnt really increased sales either because their is still a gap. Plus dealers arent able to offer nearly as much for trade-ins which ends up killing the deal.

kaput
10-29-2007, 11:54 AM

heavyD
10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Do the U.S. cars really have the low resale value he was talking about? Since a buyer paid less in the first place he's already ahead even if resale is slightly lower which may be true for trade-ins only. A mint, low mileage M3 should fetch the same $$$ used regardless if it's a U.S. or Canadian car in a private sale.

Weapon_R
10-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Never had a problem selling an American car. People look for a good clean car most importantly, most don't give a shit if its in miles from what I've experienced.

Even if you sell at the price you bought it for (presumably a great deal), you will end up the same or better off as you were when you bought it.

Mangina
10-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Do the U.S. cars really have the low resale value he was talking about? Since a buyer paid less in the first place he's already ahead even if resale is slightly lower which may be true for trade-ins only. A mint, low mileage M3 should fetch the same $$$ used regardless if it's a U.S. or Canadian car in a private sale.

I wouldn't have a problem using the US resale values in Canada. You're still saving 20G on the purchase price.

I think US vehicles sell for less up here, but not by a huge amount.

bituerbo
10-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Douchebag CEO

I equate this current situation to an iceberg — the U.S. price gap is above the water and is most apparent. However, 90 per cent of the iceberg is below the water, and when you factor in the entire Canadian value story, the wisest decision is to support your local Canadian BMW retailer.

State a random analogy which doesn't relate.
Now tell him he's dumb if he doesn't buy a BMW at an inflated price.

Go home and roll in money.

bituerbo
10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Also, he sounds like your typical uninformed CEO who only has the facts his assitant made available to him. He's too concerned with using the right business buzz-word that he forgets to answer questions and get to the point.

seadog
10-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by googe

Not true, common misconception. The Canadian dollar has been performing well on it's own.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/CAD/hist2007.html

For 2007 alone CAD's seen a whopping gain of ~10% against the Euro. Since 2000, its ballpark the same. Maybe less. Compared to the US$ though, its like 50-60%. The euro's also gained against the US by like 40-50% (or whatever the math works to)

While CAD is strong, the dominateing factor is the weak US dollar. Otherwise it wouldn't just be cheap to buy cars in the states, but everywhere.

US prices need to rise. Although in the interm it has created a nice situation for ambitious people to take advantage of. Or for unambitious to sit at home and cry about how they're a victim.

Aleks
10-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Never had a problem selling an American car. People look for a good clean car most importantly, most don't give a shit if its in miles from what I've experienced.

Even if you sell at the price you bought it for (presumably a great deal), you will end up the same or better off as you were when you bought it.

But from what I have seen is some People are trying to sell their american cars to make a profit. IE STis advertized for 48 grand here. Those can be a hard sell because everyone knows how much those cars really go for in the States.

I myself wouldn't mind buying an american car if the savings are passed along. However, if two car are the same price, condition, mileage and one is US other is CAN I'd rather buy a local one.

Redlyne_mr2
10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Its not the resale value of the US vehicle specifically, its the resale value of all used cars in Canada. Just as example... Joe comes in to trade in an 03 M3... he is expecting to get 35K wholesale for it. Dealer offers him 20K... why? Because an 03 m3 is going for 25K retail down in the states. If the dealer is going to put that m3 on their lot they have to make sure its competitive with the price of used vehicles in the US...youre right though.. for the most part people dont care where the vehicle comes from.

SilverRex
10-29-2007, 01:04 PM

Its not the resale value of the US vehicle specifically, its the resale value of all used cars in Canada. Just as example... Joe comes in to trade in an 03 M3... he is expecting to get 35K wholesale for it. Dealer offers him 20K... why? Because an 03 m3 is going for 25K retail down in the states. If the dealer is going to put that m3 on their lot they have to make sure its competitive with the price of used vehicles in the US...youre right though.. for the most part people dont care where the vehicle comes from.

yo if that is the case, then the resell of usecars are going to take a big hit regardless dealership fix their MSRP or not. because everyone knows they are now comparing prices in the south.

so the fire has started and no turning back now. Canada better do something quick.

Super_Geo
10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
From the article:

I equate this current situation to an iceberg — the U.S. price gap is above the water and is most apparent. However, 90 per cent of the iceberg is below the water, and when you factor in the entire Canadian value story, the wisest decision is to support your local Canadian BMW retailer

Really? The wisest decision I can make is to pay a 1/3 more for a car than I have to? Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks. :rolleyes:

I'm buying a car next month. There is a 0% chance that a Canadian retailer will see a penny of my money.

CLiVE
10-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Wow, his responses make me want to reconsider owning BMW's all together.

SilverRex
10-29-2007, 01:25 PM
welp the debate will never end, and to make things more interesting, cad hits new high again, nearly 5 full cents on the US. its definately going for the all time high here.

can you imagine the things that will happen if cad ever reaches like 1.15-1.25 against US?

your no longer paying 30-40% over US, it'll be more like paying 50-60%

then something has to be done.

AutodreamMarvin
10-29-2007, 01:26 PM

I think he means that when Porsche dropped the prices of their new models, they indirectly dropped the prices of the models that were purchased immediately preceeding the drop.

The owners who paid the higher prices had a HUGE depreciation of value and thus, threatenting suit.

Think of it this way, alot of the owners see themselves losing 14k+ (or whatever the price drop was for their model) ON TOP of the regular depreciation.

This is not like a television worth a few hundred, this is 100k vehicles that were not forseen to depreciate that drastically.

Televisions drop in price dramatically, and the consumer is assumed to know this.

The fact that it was Porsche Canada was the root cause of the price drop, is their grounds for the lawsuit.

I'm not supporting lawsuits like this, but I can see where the lawsuit is stemming from.

If it were say, due to market conditions, it would be a completely different story.

Hakkola
10-29-2007, 01:37 PM
It is due to market conditions. :D I understand people are angry, but Porsche did the right thing. People can threaten lawsuits for anything, doesn't mean there will be one. No laws were broken.

Cars drop in price as well, special promotions are made etc... the consumer is assumed to know this.

alloroc
10-29-2007, 01:39 PM

can you imagine the things that will happen if cad ever reaches like 1.15-1.25 against US?

your no longer paying 30-40% over US, it'll be more like paying 50-60%

then something has to be done.

Heh working in a manufacturing industry that supplies 70% of its product to the US I don't want to imagine.

Funny thing is like I said earlier, our cdn prices have remained consistant but our US prices have risen. I am surpised car manufacturers haven't started doing this. Or we can follow suit and punish the smaller market to keep the larger one happy.

SilverRex
10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
^^^ besides I think buyer is more important than seller anyways. Even if you own something, you will get your worth when you buy a new car... eventually.

I hear someone mention its not about lowering canadian prices but rather raise the US price. Either way, I want to see something done. after all I dont think I get to live another 50 years to see a time like this...

Hakkola
10-29-2007, 02:23 PM
after all I dont think I get to live another 50 years to see a time like this...

Last time this happened was only 30 years ago.

SilverRex
10-29-2007, 02:31 PM

Last time this happened was only 30 years ago.

im just going with cbc.ca's report saying it hit a 47 year high.

Hakkola
10-29-2007, 02:48 PM

High, yes, but the two currencies were pretty much par in the early 70's I believe.

Edit - late 70's as well.

ex1z7
10-29-2007, 03:04 PM
i'm going to risk looking foolish in hopes of getting a good response... how does buying an AMERICAN car hurt the AMERICAN economy? i figured canadian dealerships would be all pissy because people are jumping to america for huge savings... buying in usa hurts canada more than usa doesnt it? i mean the money is going to america instead soooo... shouldnt they encourage canadian buyers?

Hakkola
10-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
i'm going to risk looking foolish in hopes of getting a good response... how does buying an AMERICAN car hurt the AMERICAN economy? i figured canadian dealerships would be all pissy because people are jumping to america for huge savings... buying in usa hurts canada more than usa doesnt it? i mean the money is going to america instead soooo... shouldnt they encourage canadian buyers?

It doesn't hurt the american economy, it hurts the canadian dealerships and hurts the auto manufacturer, because of the inflated MSRP the companies earn more money from a Canadian car sale than an american car sale. So, they impose strict district sales on dealers and feed the public and dealership employees garbage about how the prices reflect the smaller Canadian market etc...

It isn't the dealers who are raping us, it is the manufacturers.

Toms-SC
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Just to follow up:
http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071029.wloonie1029/BNStory/robNews/home

alloroc
10-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7

BMW isn't American.
Canadian dealers are upset we are going South and this is one of the reasons BMW is attempting to pose restrictions - to protect the Canadian dealer. The reasoning vs the price difference however is bullshit.

em2ab
10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Do the U.S. cars really have the low resale value he was talking about?
You better believe it. I've been living in Atlanta for 2 months now and picked up a used car magazine that showed up in my mailbox a few days ago. I saw a 2002 Honda S2000 in there for $16,000 and thought, "No, must be high mileage or salvaged or something. I'll look for more." So I find another one at $16,000 and another one at $17,000, used cars are being given away here. A lot of people import them into Canada, sell them for $5,000 to $10,000 higher and relax the rest of the week. They don't need a job, they just keep doing that, and because of this flooding in the Canadian market, it makes the resale value on Canadian vehicles depreciate.

But this is terrible, them trying to say we're (Canadians) not allowed to cross the border to buy a car. What's next, we're not allowed to go to Wal-Mart? We have to pay the over inflated prices at the mall? $300 Diesel jeans on 17 Avenue become our only clothing options?

grandmasterYYC
11-12-2007, 12:40 PM
The attitude of the CEO and the service departments, and now BMW Canada with their 500$ letter and "inspection" of imported cars makes me realize BMW CANADA is not a company I want to deal with. They act like they are next to God and you, the consumer, is a dumb sh!thead. My next car will be an infiniti. I like the car, hate the company. We pay over 50k to get a depreciating asset for this kind of treatment?

SilverRex
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
wow 2.9% lease for 2007 and 3.9% for 2008

finally getting better

benyl
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
There are some rumours of 2% lease on coupes... but I can't seem to find it published anywhere. BMW.ca is down right now.

SilverRex
11-28-2007, 01:42 PM
man i wish im in position to get one.

grandmasterYYC
11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
I wonder if they'll just adjust the buyout price (to the upside). Still does nothing to help those who are financing or paying cash.

I think I saw 1.9% in the US recently AND bmw makes your first two payments for you!

SilverRex
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I was fortunate to get a quick view at the residual of a 335i coupe and I believe its still the same.

benyl
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
The residuals on a 2008 335 coupe are pretty good right now.

SilverRex
11-28-2007, 02:00 PM
wow 2007 328i at 39month lease for 2.0%

benyl
11-28-2007, 02:03 PM
I want that lease rate on a 2008 335i coupe. haha.

Crymson
11-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I would wait for them to sweeten the pot further, if you buy now, you're only proving how stupid canadian consumers are.

SilverRex
11-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I would wait for them to sweeten the pot further, if you buy now, you're only proving how stupid canadian consumers are.

well at least buying now aint as stupid as if I was to buy a few months ago

benyl
11-28-2007, 03:26 PM

meh.

I don't want to go through the hassle again. It was enough bringing my M3 up.

Look at this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/199220/interesting-development-on-importing-bmws/

The gap is closing. The canadian dollar is dropping too.

Aleks
11-28-2007, 09:02 PM
wow 2.9% lease for 2007 and 3.9% for 2008

finally getting better

Those were the rates last year, and I was offered that rate on my 2006 330I so it's nothing new. All mfg should offer 0 % lease and finance.