PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Pushing

beecue
10-27-2007, 09:02 PM
so I started to work out a couple of weeks ago .. the problem I am having is after I do a couple of exercises I am pretty much done .. when I try to do other ones I can't push more than 4-5 reps and it won't be at a high weight .. I usually take 30sec between sets .. is that enough? ... also what should I be doing to increase strength because it doesn't seem like I am lifting more pounds than the previous week

street
10-27-2007, 09:05 PM
it just takes time
it doesnt happen in two weeks it takes months

frozenrice
10-27-2007, 09:17 PM
bwahahahaha! LOL! When I saw the title under health and fitness, I thought it was going to be about dumps, fibre and laxatives.

01RedDX
10-27-2007, 09:36 PM

beecue
10-27-2007, 10:23 PM
i c .. how many more pounds should I be able to push weekly ... like 2-5?

topmade
10-27-2007, 10:29 PM
^^ Man it doesn't work that way. It's a gradual approach that differs from person to person. There are so many things to consider like your overall health right now, your diet, body type, blah, blah..... Seems like you're expecting too much. Do some research or talk to a person trainer

kerry
10-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah dude. It's really dependent on you. There's no real "guidelines" for gains that people usually see.

Expect at least a month until you see some results in your strength and stamina. Took me forever to notice anything!

1-Bar
10-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of training, where it seems everyone else's gains are nutz and yours are null.....

there is a slow building phase for noobs when you first start to train. 4-6 weeks is roughly the time it takes to notice anything. How is your volume? How many set/reps/exercises do you do?

GTS Jeff
10-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by beecue
30sec between sets .. is that enough? Probably not. Even in high intensity circuit training routines, the resting period is usually 1 minute.

Darkane
10-28-2007, 12:40 PM
so I started to work out a couple of weeks ago .. the problem I am having is after I do a couple of exercises I am pretty much done .. when I try to do other ones I can't push more than 4-5 reps and it won't be at a high weight .. I usually take 30sec between sets .. is that enough? ... also what should I be doing to increase strength because it doesn't seem like I am lifting more pounds than the previous week

If you want strength rest 3 minutes a set for the big lifts (bench, Deads, Squats).

As a n00b you should be able to increase on the big 3 by 2-4lbs a week. It sounds to me like you're overtraining and possibly not into it mentally yet. That will come in time, Intensity is the key in the gym.

Also just so you know, you don't really get strong in the gym. You must adapt proper sleeping patterns and eat! Post workout 65G protein with 30G fast carbs, 30G slow carbs and then a low GI meal an hour later with 50more G of protein.

But hell forget most of the routines out there, the main thigns to focus as a real beginner are these excersizes: Dips, Pullups, Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Rows, Leg press, and goodmornings. Focus on COmpound movements and don't worry about specializing yet. Good luck

beecue
10-28-2007, 02:58 PM
thx for the tips ... on my 2nd week I upped all the exercises by 10 pounds .. didn't go so well :rofl: ... I do 3 sets of 12/10/8 rep .. increasing weight a little bit each time ... I haven't done any deadlifts or squats because I think I will hurt my back somehow .. I guess I will start with low weights and see how it goes .. also sleeping .. I usually get 7-8 hours .. is that good enough? ... I am always feeling sleepy but I just can't fall asleep before 12am

Darkane
10-28-2007, 03:10 PM
thx for the tips ... on my 2nd week I upped all the exercises by 10 pounds .. didn't go so well :rofl: ... I do 3 sets of 12/10/8 rep .. increasing weight a little bit each time ... I haven't done any deadlifts or squats because I think I will hurt my back somehow .. I guess I will start with low weights and see how it goes .. also sleeping .. I usually get 7-8 hours .. is that good enough? ... I am always feeling sleepy but I just can't fall asleep before 12am

8hours is the norm, do the best you can there. You might hurt your back on deadlifts if your form is out, But with begginer weight chances are you'll be ok. Squats are good too, take a bench and do box squats. Basically you sit down and then back up again on the bench. This way it teaches you correct squat form and mental failure is also eliminated.
Bfz0ACwmYGA - Good box squat video of a guy on one of the boards I frequent.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744 - Good deadlift form article.

beecue
10-28-2007, 05:48 PM
thx for the info .. I am going to start out really light :rofl: ... cuz if I tried to sit like that I would never get back up

Darkane
10-28-2007, 10:17 PM
thx for the info .. I am going to start out really light :rofl: ... cuz if I tried to sit like that I would never get back up

Oh of course! Start with literally just the bar and see how it feels. Then put on some 10's on each side.. Again see how it feels. Use those 2.5 and 1.25lb plates if you have them too!

Also just so you know staying on the same weight and hammering out one more rep will equal more work done.

eg: 6rep bench at 200lbs = 1200lbs of total work.

In the next week if you do 200x7 its 1400lbs of total work as opposed to adding 5 or 10 pounds to the bar.

210x6 = 1260. Always do one or two more reps before increasing in weight.

beecue
10-28-2007, 11:08 PM
awesome .. never thought of it like that .. thx