PDA

View Full Version : Tax Advice

bball2
10-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi I was just wondering if anyone here could recommend a tax adviser.

I'm a university student who does freelance web design / marketing work on the side. This year I've started to make some decent money. Well enough to pay off tuition + expenses and still have some money left over.

So yeah, kind of hoping to talk to someone who's not to expensive / has some expertise on the subject. Any suggestions?

Splooge
11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
pm'd

rage2
11-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by bball2
I'm a university student who does freelance web design / marketing work on the side. This year I've started to make some decent money. Well enough to pay off tuition + expenses and still have some money left over.

So yeah, kind of hoping to talk to someone who's not to expensive / has some expertise on the subject. Any suggestions?
My suggestion is to not skimp out on hiring a good accountant. The amount you spend will easily cover up any mistakes you make, or savings in sound financial advice. CCRA is notorious for going after the small guys, because it's the small guys that have the easiest cases for them to close. A small mistake can prove very costly down the line.

It was a $65,000 back tax learning experience for me. I did everything myself and never hired an accountant.

Jlude
11-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rage2

My suggestion is to not skimp out on hiring a good accountant. The amount you spend will easily cover up any mistakes you make, or savings in sound financial advice. CCRA is notorious for going after the small guys, because it's the small guys that have the easiest cases for them to close. A small mistake can prove very costly down the line.

It was a $65,000 back tax learning experience for me. I did everything myself and never hired an accountant.

ouch...

can you recommend an accountant?

bspot
11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
I go through a dude named Starr Wang (awesome name hey?)

The only downfall is I don't speak Mandarine or Cantonese, but the guy and his staff do really good work at a good price. I shopped around a bit for an accountant, and he was willing to do a lot of things for me to save a couple hundred bucks that the other guys that charged more and had fancier offices never even mentioned as options.

Also, if you get auditted, he handles the entire thing for you.

[email protected]

Jlude
11-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by bspot
I go through a dude named Starr Wang (awesome name hey?)

The only downfall is I don't speak Mandarine or Cantonese, but the guy and his staff do really good work at a good price. I shopped around a bit for an accountant, and he was willing to do a lot of things for me to save a couple hundred bucks that the other guys that charged more and had fancier offices never even mentioned as options.

Also, if you get auditted, he handles the entire thing for you.

[email protected]

Sounds great man... thanks for the info!