PDA

View Full Version : Blue Smoke

gee200
10-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Hello,

If someone was to ride their bike when it should have been serviced, the valves need tightening and now it blows 'blue smoke' how much would that cost to fix?

sorry, don't know anything about bikes.

thanks!!

cosmok
10-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Blue smoke is generally caused from burning oil. Change your plugs and use a thicker oil, if that doesn't solve it you've got problems.

MrSector9
10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
ok

Change air filter
Change oil (do not put "thicker" oil in, use what is recommended)
Change plugs.

what kind of bike? does it smoke only on start up? smoke under heavy acceleration... how many km's on machine

i need more info before i can give any type of answer.

maxer900
10-30-2007, 06:08 AM
do the obvious... Get the valves adjusted.
Call a local dealer and ask how much? They will be able to give you a good estimate based on the model you have.
You have give zero information that would allow anyone to properly answer that question.

Best of luck.

gee200
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
thanks for the replies.

i'm looking to purchase the bike, but i've been told by many to not look any further.

it's a 2001 kawasaki zx600r. reads 35,000 km, but owner says bought a new motor last year and it only has about 10,000 and it needs its 'final service'. not sure how much it smokes (finding out more details), just told he rode it when it needed to be serviced and now it blows blue smoke.

someone told me blue smoke = piston rings worn out and burning oil...... so bike is toast?

Supa Dexta
10-31-2007, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't touch it unless it was dirt cheap and I planned on rebuilding it over the winter.. of which it doesn't sound like you want to do...

Spoons
10-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah typically once any motor starts to burn oil, it is fucked. Only buy it if its cheap.

MrSector9
11-02-2007, 06:49 PM
yeah dont waste your time either way.

Graham_A_M
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
That sir, means it needs a top end. Which is odd for an engine with 10k on it. I'm guessing he's full of shit. My dirtbike blows blue too, it has NOTHING to do with the kind of oil (the top end needs to be re-done quite soon... partly because of the last owners having the same logic as Cosmok)

Do NOT use thicker oil then what they recommend, What Cosmok said was asinine to say the least.
When you use a thicker oil, the oil pump has to work harder at pushing this (thicker) oil through the lubrication holes/"pores" throughout the engine. not only does that rob you of HP, but some engines weren't designed for this, so the oil pump doesn't have the pressure capacity to force the (thicker) oil into these holes through out the engine, so you have have various points that are being starved of lubrication.. which can give you more problems then you'd care to know of.

Only with (certain models of) these little small displacement single cylinder engines do they ever use something called "splash lubrication" which is just that, so there is no oil pump, only then is it semi-"okay" to use thicker oil.

But always use exactly what the manufacterer recommends, its much more critical on a bike/atv engine then it is on a car :thumbsup:

cosmok
11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
That sir, means it needs a top end. Which is odd for an engine with 10k on it. I'm guessing he's full of shit. My dirtbike blows blue too, it has NOTHING to do with the kind of oil (the top end needs to be re-done quite soon... partly because of the last owners having the same logic as Cosmok)

Do NOT use thicker oil then what they recommend, What Cosmok said was asinine to say the least.
When you use a thicker oil, the oil pump has to work harder at pushing this (thicker) oil through the lubrication holes/"pores" throughout the engine. not only does that rob you of HP, but some engines weren't designed for this, so the oil pump doesn't have the pressure capacity to force the (thicker) oil into these holes through out the engine, so you have have various points that are being starved of lubrication.. which can give you more problems then you'd care to know of.

Only with (certain models of) these little small displacement single cylinder engines do they ever use something called "splash lubrication" which is just that, so there is no oil pump, only then is it semi-"okay" to use thicker oil.

But always use exactly what the manufacterer recommends, its much more critical on a bike/atv engine then it is on a car :thumbsup:

Where'd I say go beyond the manufactures specifications? Your theory is flawed. Not all oil is created equal. I'd get into viscosity in relation to shear stability but that's more typing than you're argument is worth. Saying that all lower viscosity oils are better than anything that is a higher viscosity in a motorcycle is a asinine comment.

If I told the guy to go use a 0W-30 automotive oil in his bike, I'd understand your response.

Graham_A_M
11-06-2007, 10:36 PM
^ Sorry for jumping the gun then. :dunno:

-Cheers:thumbsup:

cosmok
11-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Sorry for jumping the gun then. :dunno:

-Cheers:thumbsup:

No problem man, not trying to start anything.