PDA

View Full Version : How many people like what they do?

seadog
10-29-2007, 09:26 AM
So the cliche phrase is always do a job you love. I'm curious how many people are actually doing that? Or are you only there for the paycheck, one job being good as the next.

I finished school a while ago, and due to a series of jobs I worked my ass off at, and other financially furtunate things like scholarships, I really don't need to work for the next 5 years or so. I've already done 18 months of travelling and most things I wanted to do but couldn't due to in school due to time constrictions, so now I find myself bored senseless.

Part of me says just get any job for a while to stave off boredom, but most jobs I had ranked a few notches below the boredom of doing nothing (maybe thats why they paid so well?)

Like Peter from Office Space, if money wasn't an issue, I'd do nothing. Well after a while that gets boring.

JRSC00LUDE
10-29-2007, 09:38 AM
My work - :thumbsdow but my compnay is pretty good so I'm in school to get a better position.

What's your education/skillset? Will it still be relevant after a five year abscence or in need of updating?

Rat Fink
10-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Antonito
10-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Go work at a music store or restaurant or something and pick up chicks all day.

Lex350
10-29-2007, 09:44 AM
For the most part I like my daytime gig. Its like any job where you have those days.

BrknFngrs
10-29-2007, 09:46 AM
get a job hippie! :rofl:

Mangina
10-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Money-yes
Job-no

JordanEG6
10-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I like it for the money. But it's boring and I work with lots of middle-aged engineers. But it's no where near my dream job, but it pays bills.

natejj
10-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes. I work in the tower at the airport, Air Traffic, you only need a high school degree. I was fully qualified on the job before my 20th birthday! Moneys decent too.

anarchy
10-29-2007, 10:52 AM
I work in Corporate Communications/Marketing which is basically Internal PR, and I enjoy my job. I have a journalism degree so I enjoy writing/communicating, and this is a good alternative to journalism because I utilize those skills while making decent coin in a corporate atmosphere.

Obviously this particular position is not where I want to be in 5 years but it's put me on the right career path. Part of my job is to increase employee engagement and the research we've done on this topic shows that there are several factors when it comes to strong engagement.

Employees are more engaged when they feel like they are contributing to their company and that their work is being noticed as well as being rewarded for it. And it's important that employees feel like there is room to grow and that their voice is being heard.

I would suggest finding a career that would fulfil those criteria and maybe it'll end up being financially and emotionally rewarding.

Side note:
While you are in a good position financially right now, even if you didn't have to work for the next five years, what are your plans beyond that? Shouldn't you be looking to invest in something or work even harder, so that not only will you not have to work for the next five years, but you'll be able to retire early and not have to work at all at an early age? Just seems to me that you should be working even harder to have a better life down the road. Not saying traveling isn't worth it, but if you're just dicking around, then why not increase your financial fortunes?

Crymson
10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Love my work, very satisfying, great office environment.

msommers
10-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Depressing stat I read in the Herald quite some time ago: Only ~10% of people end in their dream job or a job they really really enjoy. I'm willing to bet some people find a job they don't mind, make good money or learn to deal with it.

Antonito
10-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Depressing stat I read in the Herald quite some time ago: Only ~10% of people end in their dream job or a job they really really enjoy. I'm willing to bet some people find a job they don't mind, make good money or learn to deal with it.

I can stand my job (structural drafter) despite how boring it is sometimes, but only because it pays really well and leaves me lots of free time. I don't even want to imagine having to work a job that both sucks and doesn't allow me to live how I want

kerry
10-29-2007, 11:41 AM
I like my JOB. I hate my city hahaha. I'm an Instrument Tech Apprentice and I really really like it. Fun, interesting, not heavy manual labour like the heavy trades. It's a good field too.

As far as the pay, it's good enough for me now. When I'm done I'll make decent cash with OT and am seriously thinking, after I'm a J-man, that I'll go challenge the ABSA 4th class and become an Operator.

rmk
10-29-2007, 11:42 AM
I love what I do, but I am more excited for what the future has in store. I work in O&G for a good company who treat me very well. I love what I do because of how great I am treated at work, and the fantastic people I work with. They also pay very well. I've worked a ton of shit jobs for shitty managers to know how lucky I am.

Super_Geo
10-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by seadog
... I really don't need to work for the next 5 years or so...

Probably not the best idea... if you start looking for work with a 5 year employment gap the people looking at your resume will be wondering WTF.

l/l/rX
10-29-2007, 11:59 AM
my job at the moment is the starting point of my future career. its nice to, work with people of all sorts of ages. (i work at the bank). so you get tellers that are mostly from ages 18-20. get some nice eye candy to. then you got the sales staff whom are mostly ages 22+. i love the young environment the bank offers.

theres plenty of opportunities to. so im really excited to graduate this year since i already have my foot in the door.

when i use to work at an engineering office everyone was soo freakin old. i could not stand that environment. and i swear the higher the chain in command at the office, the more bitchier, demanding and more "god like" the people seemed like.

they're like worse than customers @ the bank having bad days.

at my job i really love the interaction i get with other people to. :thumbsup:

Schwa
10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Production Engineer - fairly good job, good people to work around, wouldn't be my dream job though.

Tutoring - highly rewarding and good pay :thumbsup:

thrasher22
10-29-2007, 12:17 PM
I work doing front end web development, I was full time in the past and I'm part time now that I'm in school.

Its the best job I've worked, super flexible schedule for school, pays decent and I'm friends with my co-workers.
That being said, sitting at a computer all day doing small time updates is definatly my dream job, but I have no idea what my dream job is anyways.

97'Scort
10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I love my company but the work is a little frustrating at the moment, mainly because we're having to use software that's still in the beta-test phase.

I also love my other job: I run a DJ and A/V company so I get to do a few gigs plus some car stereo installs to relax. I also do some detailing work too.

lewdvig
10-29-2007, 12:37 PM
I've been in B2B sales for about 7 years now with a couple of companies. I am an old fart compared to the rest of you so I have tried a few things in my career.

Sales is a great line of work when lots of stuff is happening but it sucks when things are slow and you can't make stuff happen. When you have a good product you believe in, it is like evangelism - you have a solution that will make people's lives easier or help them run their company better or more profitable. It is really easy to talk to people about something unique or better then the 'old way.' But when your stuff is like everyone else's it takes a special kind of person to fight through all the rejection.

The money is very good. Once you get seasoned and can sell at the executive level you can command a very good base. In my experience $70-100k base salaries for proven performers is not uncommon, and there is a lot of competition to sign good talent so there are good signing bonuses too. Factor in commissions and there really is no limit to what you can make if you are good.

The key to being happy though in this line of work, is selling something you can get excited about and that you would buy yourself. It's true a good sales person can sell anything, but if you are good why make yourself miserable selling crap you don't like?

PINOY-X
10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
i hate my job ! cant wait to finish school. im only in it for the pay ahah

codetrap
10-29-2007, 12:51 PM
I take care of a fairly large cutting edge network, and I quite love my job. It has it's moments, but I get a good mix of dealing with people, and technology, as well as a say in the direction we're going, and how to get there. Not to mention a reasonably good compensation package.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, and I actually do look forward to going to work.

msommers
10-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by rmk
I love what I do because of how great I am treated at work, and the fantastic people I work with. I find this makes a huge difference (even if it's a crap job) if work isn't too bad to work f'in blows.

seadog
10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
My job licks donkey pouch. Being a desk jockey and pushing papers for half my time, and rotting away on AutoCAD for the rest gets lame after a while.

Thats exactly what I want to avoid. Whatever that stat was that only 10% of people like their jobs, a good reason for that is likley that most jobs in and of themselves lick donkey pouch. It takes a very special kind of person who would pick up shit or pump oil on some God forsaken arctic tundra for free. Money is the only motivation for those jobs.

I got a Mech Eng degree, and I found most engineering jobs (from co-op), despite paying well, are similar to engineering school. Not a whole lot of fun, no women, and loads of nerds/old people.

Originally posted by anarchy
Just seems to me that you should be working even harder to have a better life down the road.

Thats how I got to where I am now. It's not a whole lot of fun to sacrifice everything today in hopes of an awsome tomorrow, though the last 18 months were pretty awsome. What happens if you get hit by a bus? Part of me says that though. Go to the oil patch, work work work, then retire at 30. Obviously I don't plan on doing nothing for the next 5 years, but being in the situation I am now, the job would have to be genuinely interesting(and ideally somewhat related to what I did ton convince myself I didn't waste 5 years), or an absolutely huge salary. (ie oil).

Darkane
10-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Enjoy my job so far. Operations in a plant. Money is pretty dang good I must say...

SilverRex
10-29-2007, 02:44 PM
as long as it pays the bills I have no complains ;)

rony_espana
10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
I love my job and pay, can't complain at all!

BigMass
10-29-2007, 03:07 PM
a lot of time people like the money more than their job and it's hard to differentiate between the two if you like spending money.

For example, if you want to have the nicest sports car or a huge house or the latest LCD TV and hit the streets wearing Hugo Boss then the anticipation of your next purchase makes work seem pretty ok. Spending money is something to look forward too and you have become a good consumer.

Now if you dont give a shit about having a nice car or brand name clothes or a huge house in the "burbs" or that new HDTV LCD then work becomes more pointless and a "drag"

Honestly the biggest reason i work is to pay my mortgage, have enough for a vacation once in a while and retirement. All these things dont give me instant gratification like buying new things every weekend, therefore work sucks and money is great, but not satisfying.

Currently i'm seriously contemplating selling my $500,000 home in Calgary buying a nice house in a nice place in the US for $150,000 having cash left over, zero debt in my life and working at a record store so i have enough to pay for medical, property taxes and a big of fun. Basically i'm looking to free myself from the Matrix

bspot
10-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Job is gay, people/perks/pay are all good. I work to live... definitely don't live to work.

adamc
10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Bigmass DOOOOOOOO IT!

finboy
10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

Currently i'm seriously contemplating selling my $500,000 home in Calgary buying a nice house in a nice place in the US for $150,000 having cash left over, zero debt in my life and working at a record store so i have enough to pay for medical, property taxes and a big of fun. Basically i'm looking to free myself from the Matrix

god would that ever be nice, i fucking hate my job and the lack of pay from it

l/l/rX
10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by finboy

god would that ever be nice, i fucking hate my job and the lack of pay from it

job?

Jlude
10-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by rmk
I love what I do, but I am more excited for what the future has in store. I work in O&G for a good company who treat me very well. I love what I do because of how great I am treated at work, and the fantastic people I work with. They also pay very well. I've worked a ton of shit jobs for shitty managers to know how lucky I am.

I'm in a similar situation. I work for a structural steel company and they treat me so well!

Tik-Tok
10-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I like my current employment, I hate my career (Aircraft Technician). If I ever loose my current job, I highly doubt I'll stay in this industry.

Antonito
10-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

I'm in a similar situation. I work for a structural steel company and they treat me so well!

Who did you have to kill to find a steel company that treats you right? I think that violates some sort of law :D

Jlude
10-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

Who did you have to kill to find a steel company that treats you right? I think that violates some sort of law :D

Can't tell ya!

I'm very fortunate...

HybridTheory
10-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Not a big fan of my job, ugh working for an evil insurance company. But my boss is pretty understanding and the people I work with are pretty fun. As far as the pay goes, it's ok I guess.

Honestly though, I don't see myself working in the insurance industry forever. I really want to have a job in HR instead.

ZorroAMG
10-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I love my job. Completely. Night shoots where you get on set at 10pm and work til 5am are kinda grueling but it's a small price to pay...

4wslude
10-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I own my own business job is good nice to work with my brothers stressful at times when its not busy but at the end wouldnt want to do anythying else.

robpark
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
I like my job, but the pay could be better... It is in a field related to where I'd like to be and the work is varied and interesting...

Right now it is more important for me to build skills and contacts that will allow me to do the job I would love...and I'm almost there... about 2 years to go!

lewdvig
10-29-2007, 05:51 PM
This is a good thread.

rmk
10-29-2007, 05:53 PM

Can't tell ya!

I'm very fortunate...

Prudential?

Audio_Rookie
10-29-2007, 05:55 PM
I started plumbing recently. I work with great people at a great company.

Money is low right now but that will come in time. I can wait if the job is cool and fun.

01RedDX
10-29-2007, 06:16 PM

Jlude
10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by rmk

Prudential?

Nah... RIMK

CCM Pro
10-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I went through some jobs I loved and others I wanted to kill myself...but finally I am doing what makes me come alive...and that is personal training...I love helping others succeed and the money comes when you don't focus on it and more on helping others...kind of weird that way:thumbsup:

88jbody
10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I took a $25,000/year pay cut to do a job I love. I really miss the cash, things are tight, but really for only 1 income and a family of 4 I do ok. Gotta kick the wife in the ass and get her to work though

I work at western corvette and performance as a tech.
It is nice to be able to install stroker engines, superchargers, turbo's, build musclecars, ls1 swaps into 60's muscle It is really great.

this is a step I took to eventually open my own customizing shop.

I plan to probably in another year change to another shop that does imports, and get some knowlage in that area of swaps ect... as I really have only done a rb20 swap into a 240, adn I didn't do the wirring part of it.

so everything I am doing right now is to work towards my own shop. I have a partner who had ran a bodyshop for 10 years on the east coast and hope to be able to do all work:thumbsup:

Clever
10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
i was one of those people that used to do the 9-5, then a friend of mine offered to send me to SAIT and take a course to work in the O&G. i finished my course in April and over the summer/fall i went to a few rigs and trained with the geologist, the work i do love, long hours but you get used to it, the downside is now, i'm in the city again waiting to do some more training, and actually looking to find a p/t job. but yes i highly recommend doing something you like, i think it pays more in the long run.

Bushy
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I love my new job at telus as a tech. They pay for practically everything, good perks and pay, and I enjoy the work. I used to work at the sheraton eauclaire dt. It was fun, you drive great cars, meet celebs, but it doesnt pay great.

Xamim
10-29-2007, 11:53 PM
I've work on a few jobs aswell. And in my experience I enjoyed the job that paid me $8/hr alot more than my highest paying job to date. I met alot of intersting people and made a few friends. I actually looked forward to going to work, I know sounds strange. Then the managment changed and everyone quit, I tryed to stick around but got tired of being treated like shit, so I left.

ekguy
10-29-2007, 11:58 PM
i hate what i do now but i am in school to fix that. will love my job after and i love being in college again.

Jlude
10-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Xamim
I've work on a few jobs aswell. And in my experience I enjoyed the job that paid me $8/hr alot more than my highest paying job to date. I met alot of intersting people and made a few friends. I actually looked forward to going to work, I know sounds strange. Then the managment changed and everyone quit, I tryed to stick around but got tired of being treated like shit, so I left.

Not strange at all... I was in a situation like that as well, unfortunetly as you said, times change and so do people...

Supa Dexta
10-30-2007, 01:23 AM
I've had the crazy idea to sell most of my shit, buy a sail boat and just go.. bum around the Caribbean for a while or something.. Not sure if I can go thru with it, but it's on my mind a lot lately..

max_boost
10-30-2007, 01:27 AM
I don't mind my job duties, the job description sounds better of course, the money is great but I think the thing I value most is the freedom and the fact that I can call the shots.

BBB.Bialowas
10-30-2007, 03:40 AM
car dealership
anything to do with it but being a salesman is sickkkkk

seadog
10-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I've had the crazy idea to sell most of my shit, buy a sail boat and just go.. bum around the Caribbean for a while or something.. Not sure if I can go thru with it, but it's on my mind a lot lately..

Thats another big plan that I've been thinking about. Well for the last 5-6 years anyway. Only thing stopping me is lack of experience, or willing friends with experience. Weak US dollar means cheap boats all over the states. Maybe even sail back here next June and sell for a profit. Where in NS are you from?

http://sailaway.us/blog.php is a great read about a couple folks who did just that. Ontario to Bahamas and Cuba and back. *They* didn't have any experience either, but somehow I just don't feel like risking my life.

BigMass
10-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by seadog

Thats another big plan that I've been thinking about. Well for the last 5-6 years anyway. Only thing stopping me is lack of experience, or willing friends with experience. Weak US dollar means cheap boats all over the states. Maybe even sail back here next June and sell for a profit. Where in NS are you from?

http://sailaway.us/blog.php is a great read about a couple folks who did just that. Ontario to Bahamas and Cuba and back. *They* didn't have any experience either, but somehow I just don't feel like risking my life.

oh man i'd love too, i love the ocean. BUT, i get sea-sick real easy :(

finboy
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

job?

a/p clerk, going back to school in jan, but that still won't lead me to a job i love. its unfortunate but i think i will always be stuck with a job i hate, hopefully i make enough money to compensate for that, and will be able to retire as soon as possible

funkedelic
10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
i hate my job.. a lot actually. The company i work for treats their employee's well and you can progress quickly but when i look around everyday i definately know i don't want to be a "life-er"

pays for my car so ill be there for a bit!

R!zz0
10-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't mind my job. I prefer Weekends, vacations and pay days.

racin_jayson
10-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I like my current employment, I hate my career (Aircraft Technician). If I ever loose my current job, I highly doubt I'll stay in this industry.

Our industry is a very messed up industry, and a lot of people are leaving it behind, with good reason. However I am fortunate enough to have found exactly what I am looking for in my career and I could'nt be happier with the choices I have made. (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - Helicopters)

No job is ever really perfect, and sometimes it's the people you work with/for that make all the difference. Also I find that where you live and work has a huge impact on overall career happiness.

403Gemini
10-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Im a cubical jocky and oddly enough I enjoy it. The job itself can get frustrating from time to time, but i really enjoy a lot of the people I work with, so maybe thats what i look forward too...

403Gemini
10-30-2007, 11:57 AM

A guy I work with has a friend who did this. Apparently he runs a small business taking people/tourists horseback riding to a waterfall everyday.

Sounds like a day off everyday... especially if you get a couple of hotties :thumbsup:

Jlude
10-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

A guy I work with has a friend who did this. Apparently he runs a small business taking people/tourists horseback riding to a waterfall everyday.

Sounds like a day off everyday... especially if you get a couple of hotties :thumbsup:

Sounds f'n amazing!!

Godfuader
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Great thread...and good timing too. Im taking the death walk (marriage) in 9mths, and was thinking about doing one last ''fun'' job. Contemplating becoming a Flight Attendant. Would be a pay cut, but I dont have any liabilities, minimal expenses and it would be the last time i could work for fun...and not income. Any other fun pointless jobs suggestions?

Jlude
10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Great thread...and good timing too. Im taking the death walk (marriage) in 9mths, and was thinking about doing one last ''fun'' job. Contemplating becoming a Flight Attendant. Would be a pay cut, but I dont have any liabilities, minimal expenses and it would be the last time i could work for fun...and not income. Any other fun pointless jobs suggestions?

Go work at the zoo!!!!

Tik-Tok
10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Contemplating becoming a Flight Attendant.

Go be a flight attendant, and you won't have to worry about getting married in 9 months :rofl:

abyss
10-30-2007, 12:52 PM

Go be a flight attendant, and you won't have to worry about getting married in 9 months :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

I like my job well enough. Going through a bit of a change right now which should be nice, the scenery was getting a bit monotonous. The people I work with are fantastic and the money is definitely nothing to scoff at. Was only supposed to be a temp job for me though, so it's hard for me to settle in as much as I know I could/should. Another one for the "work to live" group. :thumbsup:

Jlude
10-30-2007, 12:56 PM

I wanna just sell everything and travel the world...

Xsteel detailers are in such high demand that I could just travel around doing contract work for a little extra money here and there...

swak
10-30-2007, 12:56 PM
i do overnights at a hotel dt It pays pretty well for what i do.
I sit on the comp all night bored outta my mind.

looking for something else.

So no im not the happiest with the hotel, as you have to be a sucker to the guests.

Godfuader
10-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Go work at the zoo!!!!
I actually thought of that...but im too tropical to work outside during Calgary winters.

:rofl: We came to a mutual agreement. She gets to leave her current high profile job and do some humanitarian/foreign embassy work in parts of Asia...and i get to do something pointless. I know that it will sound bad to the inlaws, especially at the wedding, when they explain that their daughter is attending Ivey league Grad School, and the son in law gives out drinks and pretzels on flights. :rofl:

Ferio_vti
10-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
My job licks donkey pouch. Being a desk jockey and pushing papers for half my time, and rotting away on AutoCAD for the rest gets lame after a while.

:werd:

As good as the money is right now in Oil and Gas. I hate rotting in front of the computer all day long.

A790
10-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I love my job :)

Splooge
11-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Love what I do but not really liking the job itself. it's not my co-workers (they're awesome) or the environment (lax), it's what the company does...not really connected with what i want to do. i'm a recent graduate with a graphic design background and this is my first full time salaried job. guess i can't really complain since it's my first.

A790
11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I've just taken on an off-site affiliate management position that I can do from home. It will be a big change for me since I'm used to running my own show, but I figure that when life changes (as it loves to do) I will need some kind of experience that I can throw on a resume if need be.

Oh, and benefits and are sweet too.

I really enjoy it as I get to run my own home business as well as work from home, so at the end of the day I find that my day hasn't changed much- just the structure of it. I still work in my home office, take calls as per usual, and handle clients. However, about half the time I'm handling my employers clients as opposed to my own.

What's weird is that it's nice to have someone call you and be like "hey, great job with so and so, we're going to give you a small bonus." Even though the bonus is probably less than what I would have received if I had done that for myself, it's nice to not have to worry about where the client came from or who's going to have to collect payment.

If this job payed more I'd be estatic, but alas it isn't something I can retire on, so off to work I will continue.

stevo 27
11-04-2007, 10:20 PM
i don't mind it rebuilding 100ton cranes,rolls,fixing welders,presses, shears ect ect can be intresting but i get paid

fuck all (i know im getting the shaft cause im 17)

but im heading up north get some experience drilling then head overseas for 5 years come back and open up my own fully equiped shop hoping to do so without a loan

im going to do everything i can to get there because it is my dream job :bigpimp:

TomcoPDR
11-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't "hate" what I do (for a job)... I think that's all it matters.

Think the percentage would be low on people liking/loving their jobs, except for maybe like a college mammogram technican.

dropdat
11-08-2007, 01:54 AM
I love my job. I own my own business, get to make my own hours (unless I'm on deadline or short staffed), i get paid well, get to work with great people and I LOVE seeing the end results of what we do. I also am excited for what the future has in store with the growth of my company.

I think it's really important to do what you love or atleast enjoy your job, it's not always about the money. I couldn't imagine having to work a job that I hate. Loving what you do also makes you so much better at what you do, due to pride in work. Lots of people just settle too soon or simply don't have the drive to do something else.

CaptainReboot
11-19-2007, 12:42 PM
The people at my company are great, and I really like the company. However, my boss is an idiot.

That makes the job horrible.

The Cosworth
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I don’t mind my job, the money is ok, but I HATE the company I am currently with. They think it is ok to push all the employees around and our union doesn't stand up for anyone so they change the union agreement and we all have to like it or quit.

Perks of working for the government I suppose

100% mediocre

Ben
11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I play with Cisco stuff and Fiber Cable and Ski all day, life is good.

Celica TVS3
11-21-2007, 09:46 PM
I like my job although there is a catch... the super long hours get in the way of enjoying my life outside of work. I'm in the office at 5:30am stay untill 6:00pm drive home, eat and in bed by 9:00pm...(start again)

88jbody
11-21-2007, 09:53 PM
love my job but the poor pay is close to forcing me to go elsewhere.

family of 4 on a 50k/year pay leaves no money to enjoy at all

SikAssR1
11-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I loved my previous job that I had..working 4 days a week and making six figures (7 years with the company). I quit about three weeks ago and have been enjoying the unemployed life. In about a week I am moving to BC to open a couple of restaurants.

DannyO
11-22-2007, 12:00 AM
I hate my job, only got it as you can make good money due to overtime, but the hours are long, you work for 2 weeks at a time, there's allot of idiots there, and they expect you to just give up your life and dedicate it to them, as they expect you to do anything they say.

The industry is just fucked (earthworks), you have to be someone that just wants to move around dirt for the rest of your life, its unreal how much of time some of the guys there have given to the company, it actually makes me sick.
but I'm out of there soon, I've had enough, if it was a choice between being a lifer or taking a bullit in the head, I'd take the bullit each time.

adam c
11-22-2007, 12:28 AM
im really enjoying my job.. i work in the IT industry so i work with a lot of guys and im the youngest one in my office.. but i can't complain. i do things with computers a lot of other people can't so it gives me a rewarding feeling...

it can be slack at times and other times it can be a real brain scratcher.. but with me i always need to be challenged or i get bored fairly easily and this job does it

the money is alright, it's not the best but the perks (paid travel all over canada) is something im looking forward to, next week they're sending me to vancouver for the week

my bosses are great too, today i was surfing beyond at work and my boss came up behind me, i didn't notice.. and all he asked if i was looking for a new car.. etc, we got to talking for like 20 minutes about cars and stuff.. its great