PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on early 2000 ZX6R, GSXR600, CBR600 F4i and R6?

GITRDUN
10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm looking at getting my first bike next spring after doing the course. I was initially thinking of a 500 or so to start, but I don't think I could settle for anything less than a 600 - I find I don't care for the looks of other bikes at all. I realize it may be "a lot" of bike for a first-time rider, but I'm confident I'll be smart enough with the throttle not to do anything stupid. Aside from that, I don't want to out-grow the bike and have to deal with selling it just to upgrade.

So I'm thinking of getting a used 600cc race bike. What are your opinions on the offerings of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki in the year range of 2001-2002?

From what I've read, albeit a minimal amount, the CBR 600 F4i seems to offer a good balance of real-world practicality with a sport-bike look, feel & performance. The other ones seem to be more race-oriented. And the Kawa, I don't like the way it looks.

Thoughts?

5hift
10-29-2007, 02:26 PM
F4i is a great starter bike.

Reliable, a ton availible for sale and in terms of parts. You also wont care as much when you drop it as its going to happen. Fast enough to have some fun, but not overpowering for a begginer.

600cc's isnt too powerful as long as you have some self control. Your going to get some suggestions to go lower in cc, but from what I've noticed, it will come from the same people who themselves have weaker bikes, and some of who coincidentaly will send you pms offering you a great deal on their bike.

Cowtown_Raider
11-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Agreed...and F4i would be my choice of those to start out on, but given the choice of any bike, I'd personally go for an SV650 or the Ninja 650 (someone has one for sale on here too). They have a more useful power band for city driving and a less racier position than the supersports.

dacoconutnut
11-07-2007, 11:03 AM
definitely go for the 01-02 F4i - its much more reliable and more stylish.. i actually switched from an 02 f4i to and 02 r6 and i regret it. i started on the f4i and like a noob i made a bunch of mistakes and it was very forgiving!

bituerbo
11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
The 2000-2002 zx6r is still being marketed as the ZZR600, which is what I ride, and it's been a great started bike for me.

I guess the benefits of the earlier models would be the huge availability of extra parts. My 06' zzr sold for $8k brand new, so I'm sure you could find a bike that's depreciated below $4k.

Carbeurated so it's a little smoother on the throttle than a fuel injected - I was told not to get a fuel injected bike as your first, and this bike has kept me relatively out of trouble.

I can keep up with the 600's of today without a problem, and it's been a great, reliable - COMFORTABLE bike. (did a road trip out to the coast this spring).