PDA

View Full Version : Z6 into 91 si question

SR240SX
10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I picked up a 91 si and a d16z6 for dirt cheap. I know that the z6 will fit into the car with the si tranny my concern is wiring.

Im a little confused I heard there were 2 ways to do it.

1)get ecu from a 92-95 si as well as engine harness. Replace the whole harness with the eg one thus having the car running like the eg.

2) Do somesort of jumper harness setup and having to wire vtec up to a switch.

Anyone lead any insight into doing this swap the best way?

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
You have an obd1 motor, and an obd1 ecu... I would get a plug n play obd conversion harness. I think they're ~$100 not sure as I've never changed obd's myself

E46..sTyLez
10-29-2007, 04:32 PM
...what's a z6:confused:

Datsun-Fever
10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Get a jumper harness from rywire or boomslang, ezpz

blueripper6
10-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
...what's a z6:confused:

d16z6 same long block as 91 si with a vtec head.

So.. the jumper harness means I can use my stock ef harness???
do i still need to wire it up too a swithc????????

Datsun-Fever
10-30-2007, 01:02 AM
it uses the stock ef harness, plugs into it before the ecu, then you also get a plug that goes into your ecu, you wire that plug into your 4 wire oxygen sensor and vtec, and your good to go, no switch required

Datsun-Fever
10-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Rywire Instructions (http://www.rywire.com/store/images/instructions/inst_0to1jumper.gif)

SR240SX
11-06-2007, 04:11 PM
wait... i have an obd0 ecu.

And it turns out the z6 has no harness for the motor..

So what I have.

91 Si
d16z6

nothing else really.. I dont have obd1 ecu or harness for the motor. I dont have the conversion harness...

Should I go to pick a part and get the motor harness.. I dont even know where to look for these items (what sites to look at)

SR240SX
11-06-2007, 04:16 PM
My plan is to switch the trans/clutch off the a6 tonight.. But I want to have the motor all wired up so I can just drop it in and then it will be just a few things to hook up and it will start

If u guys know where i can get the following please let me know:
d16z6 engine harness
d16z6 obd1 ecu
conversion harness for obd0-obd1

The guys who pulled the motor were retarded... its going to be time consuming to hook this thing all up

78si
11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
You need to modify your stock a6 harness to accept your z6. Buy a frog harness from Speed Tech, then add your vtec and oxygen sensor wires.
btw: I have an obd 1 z6 ecu (P28).

SR240SX
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
my car is a si so Its already mpfi
Frog harness..what is that?

What do I need to modify from my a6 harness to have it work on my z6.. everything should be the same except for the vtec and 02 right?

thanks for your help guys

78si
11-13-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.vtecfrog.com/Web_Pages/Prices.html

blueripper6
11-14-2007, 10:09 PM
so from my understanding, the car will run (like shit) without the conversion harness. Just wondering so I can get the car to my buddys place to do the conversion harness in his garage.

Right now, trans are off both motors.. I was wondering do I need to swap the flywheel off of the z6 and put the a6 one on it? The pressure plate matches up perfectly to the z6, so i should be able to run the one already on the motor correct?

Also wondering if anyone has a clutch alignment tool that I can have or trade for some beer???

Mr_ET
11-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Easiest way to do this is convert your 91 si to obd1

you will need a 4 wire o2 sensor that should come with the z6
you will need a p28 ecu out of a 92-95 si if you want it to runs stock.

You will also need a jumper harness that will go from your obd0 ecu plugs to the obd1 ecu and make that part plug and play. That same jumper harness should have 4 loose wires that will hook up to the 4 wire o2 sensor.

Your z6 should already come with a obd1 vtec dizzy so you should be good there.

Finally if you want to use the injectors from the z6 I believe some wiring changes will be needed can anyone confirm this? Darren?

all in all if you only need the jumper harness and ecu expect to pay around $250-$275 for the conversion.

Mr_ET
11-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by blueripper6
so from my understanding, the car will run (like shit) without the conversion harness. Just wondering so I can get the car to my buddys place to do the conversion harness in his garage.

Right now, trans are off both motors.. I was wondering do I need to swap the flywheel off of the z6 and put the a6 one on it? The pressure plate matches up perfectly to the z6, so i should be able to run the one already on the motor correct?

Also wondering if anyone has a clutch alignment tool that I can have or trade for some beer???

where are you guys doing this swap in the city? I have my old exedy stage 1 plastic clutch alignment tool if you need one. some folks say they are not as good but when I swapped my clutch it worked fine and I haven't had a single problem in thr 5k it's been in the car.

I also have a 1991 si and mine is a sohc zc (same as an a6)

SR240SX
11-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the good info. Yea im doing it in the NW hidden valley.
Im going to make my own conversion harness, with the help of one of the best wirers in calgary(muscle cars and custom bikes mostly). I wanna be able to do it in his garage, so I was thinking just drive the car from hidden valley to country hills.. think it would make it haha?

So the car would not run with the a6 ecu?

I took the harness off the a6, and it looks like its going to be a bitch to hook up to the z6. Lots of plugs are different, injector plugs are different. So should I just look for a z6 harness at pick your part?

SR240SX
11-16-2007, 04:06 AM
got a few questions still though after a ton of research and devolpment.

I think I will go with the 5g clutch and pressure plate as they seem to be brand new pretty much. This is OK with the si tranny from my research.

The engine harness is a big problem for me right now, I really have no clue about any of this. The a6 harness has a few plugs that work but most of them dont. Can I solve this problem by using the a6 intake manifold?

I need to do this cheap as possible for now, I will convert to obd1 with ecu and harness later. But for now I can run it on the a6 ecu, and still having vtec buy wiring it up to an rpm switch.. right??

SR240SX
11-16-2007, 07:53 PM
UPDATE!

Got the trans on today! It went together good. I used the 5g clutch pressure plate and flywheel with the 4g tranny and it bolted right the fuck up. I had trouble at first and was getting pissed off until I double looked and both the trans and the block had the dowels in.. haha stupid me. It went right in after that.

Also hooked up the 5g starter I figure use that one, its newer, goes with the flywheel and looks like its in better condition. I never had trouble with my old one so its going to be kept. Same with the 4g clutch, just incase.

NEXT:Im onto the harness for the motor and then its ready to drop in. Anyone had a spare d16z6 harness or know where I can get one?

Then its just drop it in and deal with the mess of an engine bay the guys left who pulled the motor. Didnt drain fluids, broke the fan, didnt label ANYTHING[see idiots] and also didnt unplug either the speedo cable or the tach cable and that broke.... lol. If its the speedo, no vtec for me! I can drive this car without a tach though.. haha