PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy LED bulbs

j0nblayz
10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
hey guys, looking to get a set of led bulbs for my license plate lights. anyone know where i can find a set locally??

heres a pic of it

harmlessv8
10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.superbrightleds.com/ good place

blinkme_210
10-29-2007, 07:19 PM
You're also need to get some wire bound resistors, or else the OBC will constantly warn you about a light malfunction. Don't know which exact ones you need, search some X5 forums, someone probably has done this mod before.

HondaRice
10-29-2007, 09:03 PM
i bought some 1157 light bulbs LED and put them for my brake /tail lights everything worked fine, also got LED turn bulbs work fine too, this is a 90 celica

j0nblayz
10-29-2007, 10:29 PM
thanx guys!! but where are you guys buying the bulbs locally?

bobby_lu
10-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
You're also need to get some wire bound resistors, or else the OBC will constantly warn you about a light malfunction. Don't know which exact ones you need, search some X5 forums, someone probably has done this mod before.

So I cant "just" replace the license plate bulbs on the bmw?

QX498
10-30-2007, 10:24 AM
ebay has them!

blinkme_210
10-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
i bought some 1157 light bulbs LED and put them for my brake /tail lights everything worked fine, also got LED turn bulbs work fine too, this is a 90 celica

The light sensor in the dashboard won't light up, because your car is old, and the sensor simply checks to see that the circuit is complete.

blinkme_210
10-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

So I cant "just" replace the license plate bulbs on the bmw?

Depends what year your BMW is.

Most newer BMW's, like X5, X3, E90, E60, will constantly warn the OBC (Onboard Computer) of a light malfunction; even though the LED light works fine. The LED lights up, because LED's don't draw in as much power to operate.

So if you replace your license/fog/DRL light with a LED one, the OBC thinks you have a burned out light. That happens, because every exterior light is measured by the OBC against the factory set current & wattage draw settings.

Current measurement =/= factory setting = OBC thinks light is burned out.

j0nblayz
10-31-2007, 08:58 AM
i'll try the led's, if it sets the obc off, then i'll just get some of those cheap xenon bulbs.. last time i had those, got too hot and started melting the clear covers on the license plate light, hope it doesn't happen to my x...

blinkme_210
10-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
i'll try the led's, if it sets the obc off, then i'll just get some of those cheap xenon bulbs.. last time i had those, got too hot and started melting the clear covers on the license plate light, hope it doesn't happen to my x...

As long as the cheap fake "Xenon" colored halogens don't draw in more wattage than the stock ones, it should be fine. I think PIAA makes some license plates ones, not too sure. The rest of their Xtreme white car bulbs line is amazing. Draws in the stock 55W, but throws out light lumens equivalent to 110w to get the white color.

FJN_Stryda
10-31-2007, 11:49 AM
xenon lights are pretty good. Check with CMS they probably has them.

GTS Jeff
10-31-2007, 12:25 PM

As long as the cheap fake "Xenon" colored halogens don't draw in more wattage than the stock ones, it should be fine. I think PIAA makes some license plates ones, not too sure. The rest of their Xtreme white car bulbs line is amazing. Draws in the stock 55W, but throws out light lumens equivalent to 110w to get the white color. Don't listen to PIAA marketing hype. Their bulbs give out the KELVINs equivalent to 110w, not the LUMENs. All that is is a blue coating on the bulb. The lumens outputted from PIAAs are actually less than a standard clear glass bulb.

To the OP. Take some measurements and see if the SMT ones will fit:

http://superlumination.com/festoon.htm

And to deal with the light malfunction sensor, 1 small load equalizer per bulb:

http://superlumination.com/equalizers.htm

bobby_lu
10-31-2007, 01:33 PM

Depends what year your BMW is.

Most newer BMW's, like X5, X3, E90, E60, will constantly warn the OBC (Onboard Computer) of a light malfunction; even though the LED light works fine. The LED lights up, because LED's don't draw in as much power to operate.

So if you replace your license/fog/DRL light with a LED one, the OBC thinks you have a burned out light. That happens, because every exterior light is measured by the OBC against the factory set current & wattage draw settings.

Current measurement =/= factory setting = OBC thinks light is burned out.

e39, but that makes sense, thanks.

HondaRice
11-10-2007, 05:05 PM
locally? i bought my led bulbs from www.abdouexpress.com the company is in calgary and will bring them to u the same day.

or you can try ebay but u wanted in calgary