PDA

View Full Version : MkI Engine tranny questions...

Berg9987
10-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Ok, so lets say I were to find an elusive 4A-GZE out of a Levin and was having it shipped to me with the transmission harness and ecu. Let's say it is the MAP sensor distributorless ignition model that is rated for 165-170hp. Let's say that I want to put it in my MR2...

The car is currently set up with a US MAF 4A-GZE with distributor (rated at about 145hp) mated to the stock 4A-GE non-lsd tranny. I don't know much about the tranny that the new engine comes with but I do know that it has different gearing. If I were to put such an engine in my car I would have a few questions:

1) Which transmission should I use? I have heard that the tranny out of the Levin (i think its E-51, I could be wrong) is geared better but loses that advantage with the shear weight of the unit. What if the Levin tranny has an LSD? Yes I know that I would have to modify the shifter to work in the MR setup.

2) I have heard that the distributor and distributorless iginition systems have different tach signal outputs. What would be the best way to get my stock tach to work? (not a big fan of the big aftermarket tachs mounted on the dash)

3) Which intercooler is better? I don't want to hack up the engine cover so my choices are to run with the US MR2 intercooler with the Levin engine or to modify the Levin intercooler to work in the stock location. My wallet can't afford an aftermarket cooler though I realize that would be ideal.

4) How bad is it going to be running on the 93 octane gas we have available here?

5) If I were to use this engine I would most likely put my overdrive pulley on it. What fuel system upgrades will I need? Stock injectors 365cc/m good enough? Still running NA fuel pump (I think), what can I swap in for inprovement (i think I heard that a 7M-GTE pump will work). Should I invest in a FPR? What about a fuel cut defender, will I need one of those or can this ecu handle up to about 15psi of boost?

Like I said, I might not be using this engine. Just considering how hard it's been to find one I had to jump at the chance when I did. If I do use it, it most likely wont be until next year. I would like to take it apart and have some work done. Been looking at some of the services TED Components offer. I figure I could squeeze out about 200hp. Any one have any experience with them?

Cheers,
Berg

bmeier
10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
the NA tranny has better gearing for acceleration the e51 has better top end and is much stronger but also much heavier. also you will have to modify the linkage which requires drilling a hole in the tranny case. i have done this before and its not hard but there is potential to screw the tranny completely doing this. if the Levin has LSD i would definitely put it in but it wont necessarily have LSD.

if you are using the map sensor and all electronics you can get the tach to work but you have to wire the car properly. it is not plug and play

both inter coolers suck, the levin is worse because it is top mounted and has very little air flowing across the fins. I would run the stock US gze inter cooler over the Levin.

93 and even 91 is fine if you have the stock ignition timing

fuel system is fine although you will need a new pump either the stock SC pump or a walbro will work, the stock FPR works fine no point upgrading at those levels.

200 hp is a long shot to be honest. i had this exact setup with cams and a better inter cooler and it was around 175 or 180 i cant remember.

Berg9987
10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm looking at using my NST 180mm pulley and some headwork, which is why I am looking at TED Components. I know that 200hp is about the max I can get out of it, but I think with cams, headwork, and the pulley I should be able to get close to the mark

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Berg

Berg9987
10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey, another question: If I were to use the 4AGZE with the NA transmission, would I have to use the NA flywheel/clutch set up?

When you had your setup are you talking crank or wheel horsepower? I am talking crank. Starting with a 165hp-170hp engine I would be dissapointed at 180 after cams, headwork and pulley. Still it's better than what I have now....

Cheers,
Berg

bmeier
10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
ya you have to use the na clutch/flywheel combo if you are using the NA tranny. i was talking RWHP i still dont think you would get 200 at the crank but it might be close.

Berg9987
10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
How efficient is the MR2 drivetrain? If you were talking about 175rwhp, and a typical driveline loss is anywhere from 15-25% doesn't that mean 195-225hp at the crank? I don't know the actual driveline loss, just trying to get some numbers straight.