PDA

View Full Version : Beyonders' Opinion: '02 Maxima SE or '03 Xterra SE

freshprince1
10-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey guys, lte me know your opinion:

We own an '02 Maxima SE (all available options) with 113K kms, and love it. I also love the Xterra's, and a friend of mine has an '03 Xterra SE (all options but leather, and only a manual sunroof) with incredibly low milage. He just wants to get rid of the Xterra because he's bought an MDX, and will sell me the Xterra for what I think I could get for the Maxima plus $2000 cash.

The wife doesn't really like the Xterra, but would like the 4x4 as we have a very young daughter, so, better for driving in our climate.

At this point we have to decide between one or the other because we don't want any monthly car payments, so we're not taking both.

So what do you guys think, would you stick with the Maxima (comfort, fast, luxury) or would you switch over to the Xterra (good in winter, slightly more storage space, smaller interior)??

Any young families' opinions?

Thanks once again.

Masked Bandit
10-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I've owned a '03 Maxima for a little over a year now and it has been a great car.

With that said, I'm also in the process of selling it. The Maxima is the first "car" I've ever owned and I miss a truck. I replaced it with a 2006 Nissan Frontier. I have absolutely no complaints about the Maxima but I need a truck.

We have a little one and the space in the Maxima was just fine. I think you may find the Xterra to be a little more "plasticy / squeaky".

teggypimp95
10-30-2007, 08:51 AM
My bud has an xterra and loved it. I drove it quite a bit and loved it also. I drove it from calgary to vancouver and it was awesome. Such a nice SUv to drive, interior was nice and sporty, seats were good, factory rockford system was also nice to have. He has the super charged model so it went pretty good also. Only negitive things i would say is the sunroof it just a flip up one, does not slide back or anything, and is a pig on gas. Other than that i would own one if i needed an SUV.

QX498
10-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I would be careful in deciding as they really are a huge huge gas guzzler. But the Maxima is not as good in winter.

Eleanor
10-30-2007, 01:44 PM
^ my buddies got one and it eats gas

Masked Bandit
10-30-2007, 03:52 PM
As far as gas consumption goes, I get 10 L / 100 km's in the city.

freshprince1
10-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
As far as gas consumption goes, I get 10 L / 100 km's in the city.
What size of gas tank does the SE have? (i.e how many litres?)

Thanks for the input guys, as of now I think we're going to stick with the Maxima.

Weapon_R
10-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Good choice. The xterra is ugly as sin

Idratherbsidewayz
10-31-2007, 08:03 PM
You will love the Maxima. It is our 2nd one (we have a 2002 SE), and they have never let us down. Yearly we log over 60,000 kms with long trips down to Southern USA and Vancouver Island. In all climates (including snowy blizzards in Montana), the car performs beautifully. Make sure to get good winter tires for it though, as it is fairly heavy.

One of the best interiors in cars you can find on the road nowadays IMHO.

Also, if you do get one, the only dealer we deal with (because of GREAT customer service) is Brasso Nissan.

Enjoy the car...

Masked Bandit
11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1

What size of gas tank does the SE have? (i.e how many litres?)

Thanks for the input guys, as of now I think we're going to stick with the Maxima.

To be honest, I don't know how many litres the tank holds. It has an info centre that tracks the gas consumption but it is a bit optomistic. I figure it out when I fill up and the on-board set up is off by about 1 L / 100 km's.

I've got a friend that has a 2005 Maxima (current generation) and I actually like he interior of mine better.

Man I'm going to be sad to see it go.

:(

BlkMaxima
11-01-2007, 08:19 AM
If you "need" to have 4WD in winter you shouldn't be driving.

Unless you live in Ft. Mac or something.

freshprince1
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
You will love the Maxima. It is our 2nd one (we have a 2002 SE), and they have never let us down. Yearly we log over 60,000 kms with long trips down to Southern USA and Vancouver Island. In all climates (including snowy blizzards in Montana), the car performs beautifully. Make sure to get good winter tires for it though, as it is fairly heavy.

One of the best interiors in cars you can find on the road nowadays IMHO.

Also, if you do get one, the only dealer we deal with (because of GREAT customer service) is Brasso Nissan.

Enjoy the car...

Yes, I love the Maxima too, like I said we have an '02 SE.

Thanks for everyone's input.