PDA

View Full Version : CA-CFA or CA-CBV?

Chim
10-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I was able to land an accounting job for a CA firm but it doesn't start until September and I graduate in December. I'm most likely going to do my compressed CASB in the spring and summer, but I'm trying to figure out what to do between January and May.

people have recommended traveling but I think that is a frivolous waste of time for me, and I'm stumped about what would be best for my own career development.

Which combination between CA-CFA or CA-CBV is more in demand in the marketplace? would it be possible to start working on either of those right away? does anybody have other recommendations?

liquid1010
10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
If you had a CA/CFA, you would make a killing! With that said, a CFA will take you minimum of three years, and it requires quite a bit of time; although the fact that you have your CA will cut that down substantially.

Celica TVS3
10-30-2007, 09:25 PM
What is it that you want to do? Both programs are a pretty big commitment so you may want to have a little direction before you start.

Chim
10-30-2007, 10:11 PM
obviously I'm very young at this point in time and it be very difficult to define for certain exactly what I want to do. i definitely want to become a CA, and I'm very interested in either starting up my own company eventually or working on big M&A deals with fledgling companies (and pick up some potentially lucrative stock options while I'm at it)

I figure I have four full months available to me, and I can get a hell of a head start on my CFA or CBV. I know it is possible for me to start my CFA at this point, but do I need to become a CA first to start with the CBV?

all advice is very welcome :)

SilverKast
10-31-2007, 03:47 PM
If you were to go the CBV route I'd suggest waiting until you've done your CA. That way the firm will likely pay for most of your CBV courses, and the CA experience you will have at that point will be nice to draw upon. That's how some of my colleagues did it, and it seems to be working nicely for them.

I'd honestly use the four months to relax and maybe travel around and enjoy yourself. Enjoy the freedom before you start articling and the shackles come on :D

Chandler_Racing
10-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Chim
I'm very interested in either starting up my own company eventually or working on big M&A deals with fledgling companies (and pick up some potentially lucrative stock options while I'm at it)

My suggestion would be to enjoy the time off. In May start mods 1 and 2 -- then finish your CA before you consider any further designations.

Based on your interest in M&A's your CBV would be a great choice. Either way though, you can not go wrong with a CFA. Also, on most engagements, you will be required to be independant (AFAIK) so you will not be allowed to have a stake in any of the firms clients.

I worked with M&A's at my firm for a brief period of time, one of my favorite groups to work with.

urban.one
10-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Its too early for you make a decision on which one is better. Eventually youll get to a point in your career where you will have to or want to do one or the other. The choice will be clear then. Or it isnt unlikely that you will not need to either designation.

As a CFA, Id say the CFA would lead you to a more diverse set of opportunities. The opportunities for a CBV are much more focused. Depends what your looking for.

My advice... if your a bright kid, write CFA L1. It shouldnt require too much time commitment from you. If you complete it, it looks good on the resume, gives you something to talk about in interviews, and if you decide to pursue the designation in a couple of years then youre already a third completed. (Downside is you spend some money now on books and enrollment fees that you could have spent on travelling or other more fun pursuits.)

PM if you have any Qs.

Mckenzie
11-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I'd say travel against all advice- once you start CASB, you will eventually hate life for two years...most people cannot wait to get out of audit/public practice once that is done. Get that out of the way and you will eventually see where you want to go. I'd say the CFA will be more diverse but you dont necessarily need anything beyond your CA. That will open more doors then either of the CFA or CBV combined as it is very diverse. If you plan on doing both CA +CFA/CBV, be prepared to give up another 6-7 years of your life by the time you satisfy all work requirements to get the designation.

The CFA not as intense of a structured program but the exams are hard. The CBV final exam is also very tough, with only 60% getting through. I think you will find CASB/UFE surprisingly challening enough- I know quite a few people who wanted to do soemthing else after the CA but said F- it as it just gets too much.

bashir26
11-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Only 48% pass the CFA test, its hard as shit. If your more into the investment sector then go with a CFA.

in*10*se
11-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Chim
I was able to land an accounting job for a CA firm but it doesn't start until September and I graduate in December. I'm most likely going to do my compressed CASB in the spring and summer, but I'm trying to figure out what to do between January and May.

people have recommended traveling but I think that is a frivolous waste of time for me, and I'm stumped about what would be best for my own career development.

Which combination between CA-CFA or CA-CBV is more in demand in the marketplace? would it be possible to start working on either of those right away? does anybody have other recommendations?

Do something else with your life for four months before you start. If you do start your CFA level 1, you have to pay for it. Your CBV is something you should pursue after your CA, as it will be paid for by most firms You won't be able to finish anything in 4 months (CFA/CBV).

Four months off will not make or break your career. Enjoy life before you start your articling time. Believe me... you'll look back and say thank god i did <insert activity> before i started articling.