PDA

View Full Version : so the fed cut another 25 basis point

SilverRex
10-31-2007, 12:50 PM
and canadian loonie hit new highs again,

lets break the record set at 1.06 I think, then all hell will break loose.

I want 1.10-1.20, because at those level, car manufacturers will have to do something about the current prices car sold in canada.

Genjuro
10-31-2007, 12:56 PM
werd

liquid1010
10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Proof that Bernanke is scared of the street.

Toma
10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro
werd
Except that our manufacturing and other exports cannot compete at those levels, so it wont be long before we are into a recession ourselves.

I want 1cdn = 0.75 US again....

Canmorite
10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
News was priced in, market moved lower initally.

Reversed, and now Nasdaq is making new highs.

:thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

lets break the record set at 1.06 I think

We got a long ways to go, historical record high $2.78 (in 1864 :rofl: )

Toma
10-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by liquid1010
The intent is to tank the US $$, and they are doing just fine at it....

They had no business lowering rates from even 5%.... but meh.... crooks and liars.....
But what do I care.... both MSFT and AAPL his all time highs today.... At this rate, I can fully retire next year :dunno:

Canmorite
10-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Toma

The intent is to tank the US $$, and they are doing just fine at it....

They had no business lowering rates from even 5%.... but meh.... crooks and liars.....
But what do I care.... both MSFT and AAPL his all time highs today.... At this rate, I can fully retire next year :dunno:

EUR/USD just touched 1.4500. USD/CAD continuing to slide...

liquid1010
10-31-2007, 01:32 PM

I hate quoting myself, but just to expand... like Canmorite said, this drop was already valued into the market, and Bernanke didn't want to piss on everyone's parade. I would pay to see what Greenspan's thinking.

benyl
10-31-2007, 03:56 PM

I hate quoting myself, but just to expand... like Canmorite said, this drop was already valued into the market, and Bernanke didn't want to piss on everyone's parade. I would pay to see what Greenspan's thinking.

I am not an economist at all.

But isn't the US where it is right now in large part because of the decisions made by Greenspan? Wasn't it Greenspan that dropped interest rates so low that it started a housing boom and the resulting collapse?

Seems to me that Bernake inherited a shitty deal.

Canmorite
10-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Ben was put into an akward situation thats for sure.

When Greenspan lowered rates, he gave the economy such a boost. Everything was fine and dandy, then he handed this situation to Ben at possibly the peak of housing sales/growth, and so the blame passes.

Ben has his work cut out for him, thats for sure.

Toma
10-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Cutting rates is a mistake.

First rule when you find yourself in a hole that you are having trouble getting out of....

STOP DIGGING..

Xtrema
10-31-2007, 06:13 PM

Correction. Let me buy a house in around Phoenix and a car first before dropping back to 0.75.

Supa Dexta
10-31-2007, 07:19 PM
news last month was saying they expect 1.10 within 2 yrs.. ha.. looks to be coming sooner then that!

sputnik
11-01-2007, 12:46 PM

Except that our manufacturing and other exports cannot compete at those levels, so it wont be long before we are into a recession ourselves.

:werd:

Screw shopping in the US. I want to see another boom in Alberta.

$95 oil * $1.25 = insanity for Alberta!

broken_legs
11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:werd:

Screw shopping in the US. I want to see another boom in Alberta.

$95 oil * $1.25 = insanity for Alberta!

1.333333:thumbsup:

Im in Houston right now and everything i read in the papers and media is all doom and gloom.

People down here are still living in one of the cheapest places ive ever been but they seem all concerned that gas has gone up a quarter per gallon again

billy36
11-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

1.333333:thumbsup:

Im in Houston right now and everything i read in the papers and media is all doom and gloom.

People down here are still living in one of the cheapest places ive ever been but they seem all concerned that gas has gone up a quarter per gallon again

so if Houston is that cheap, why is Xtrema interested in Phoenix, let me put the question in a straight forward way, if u wanted to buy a house, where would u go???? someone mentioned Atlanta in a previous post :dunno:

Originally posted by Xtrema

Correction. Let me buy a house in around Phoenix and a car first before dropping back to 0.75.

benyl
11-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Cutting rates is a mistake.

First rule when you find yourself in a hole that you are having trouble getting out of....

STOP DIGGING..

They are fucked anyway. Cutting rates will just spur inflation. Leaving rates can stagnate the economy. Raising rates will throw them in a recession for sure, if they aren't already in one. Rock and a hard place.

Chrysler laying off 12,000 people is just the beginning.

Mighty America is faltering and will likely take Canada with it.

Canmorite
11-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Cutting rates + rising inflation = $1000o/z + Gold.

More on this topic...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aT3HpMBhWXjQ

broken_legs
11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by billy36

so if Houston is that cheap, why is Xtrema interested in Phoenix, let me put the question in a straight forward way, if u wanted to buy a house, where would u go???? someone mentioned Atlanta in a previous post :dunno:

I think Phoenix is a retirement/snowbird haven and will thus likely have an influx of retirees from the baby boom to drive up demand and real estate prices

Not sure what Atlanta has to offer except Krunk, Crank and Dog Fighting

Houston is probably comparable to Atlanta but theres lots of big oil here. Nice 1800 sq ft home with back yard, dble garage, in planned community runs about 150 in Sugarland here. That style house in Calgary would be at least 4 times as much in Calgary I'd think.... Well 3 and half times anyways

Personally, I think I could deal with the sweltering heat, humidity, and Xtra Large Softdrinks here for the money and upgraded doo-dads

Canmorite
11-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Not sure what Atlanta has to offer except Krunk, Crank and Dog Fighting

:rofl: Awesome