PDA

View Full Version : New Toyota Corolla

Xtrema
10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
This is all Toyota can come out with? Hyundai is more exciting than this piece of shit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/31/sema-2007-2009-toyota-corolla-debuts/

bobby_lu
10-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Looks a mini Camry mixed with the back of the new Elantra.
bleh.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-31-2007, 02:02 PM
It's a lump of car, and exciting as bean paste.

Yep, it's a modern Toyota.

heavyD
10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Good God! Who spends hard earned money on these cars? Obviously people are doing it but I'd like to hear from them what they see in these cars. I wouldn't drive that car if someone gave it to me for free.

Destinova403
10-31-2007, 05:39 PM
well undoubtably itll be reliable and economical transportation... people who buy that have no interest in cars... they just want to go from A to B safely, reliably, and cheaply.

clem24
10-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Too bad they'll still sell a zillion of them.

dino_martini
10-31-2007, 05:46 PM
:barf:

The civic is way better then this

TorqueDog
10-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Yup, still an ugly piece of trash. [shrug]

Xtrema
10-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Here's the kicker.

Engine is carry over without additional power. Honda is @ 150 and Mazda is @ 140 in base form.

Tranny is also carry over, while 4 speed auto is forgivable on a Mazda 3, Civic is already on 5 speed. WTF is with the 4 spd auto? What is this, 1987?

Then the most stupid of it all, XRS with 2.4L engine is more of a pig and less exciting than the old 1.8L Celica unit. WTH is Toyota thinking?

This Corolla better be fully loaded for under $20K. I can't see anybody will pay more than that for 20yr old technology.

403Gemini
10-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Toyota lost a lot of its essence when the MR2 died.

Toyota lost a lot of respect when the supra died.

Toyota officially died when they stopped making the celica (some would argue the supra, but imo they still had our attention with the celica).

TE4MFaint
10-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Meh Doesn't surprize me.
They are looking to appeal to many people outside of the family type. Its a cheap decent looking sedan for a family of 4.
They'll sell millions.

Zephyr
10-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Toyota = appeal to mass market through their reliability track record and respected name in many households. Boring? Yep, but will it sell and continue to make them one of the biggest automakers? You betcha.

They see cars as profit, we see them as passion, I wish the two views would meet.

silver_gs-R
10-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Corolla :barf:

Civic :drool:

Team_Mclaren
10-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
Toyota = appeal to mass market through their reliability track record and respected name in many households. Boring? Yep, but will it sell and continue to make them one of the biggest automakers? You betcha.

They see cars as profit, we see them as passion, I wish the two views would meet.

Exactly, they dont care if they dont have the fastest/most enjoyable cars on the market. As long as they sell the most and makes the most money.

smontyLS1
10-31-2007, 07:14 PM
i am sure my mom will want one

bobby_lu
10-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Toyota lost a lot of its essence when the MR2 died.

Toyota lost a lot of respect when the supra died.

Toyota officially died when they stopped making the celica (some would argue the supra, but imo they still had our attention with the celica).

did they also loose respect when they made the most money and sold the most cars?

STI
10-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Not as bad as you guys make it seem like it is..

Weapon_R
10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
It's not bad for its target audience. You guys sound like it's targeted for the discerning buyer.

News flash, it's actually meant as economical and relatively cheap transportation that looks half decent. Toyota couldn't care less if it doesn't fit into the schemes of altezza lights and bodykits when the real purpose is to provide an appealing entry level compact. Appealing in terms of reliability and function.

With the Yaris nearing 22k loaded, this car will probably edge into the mid to high 20s for similar options. .

STI
10-31-2007, 07:50 PM
The current 08 type S is ~26k. With the rising dollar, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold the 09 XRS model for ~26k, which is not bad of a deal, according that is fully loaded with leather, gps, tiptronic.. ect.

ekguy
10-31-2007, 08:47 PM
too bad we don't have a yawning emoticon for this one.

treg50
10-31-2007, 09:25 PM
If there's one good thing about it, it's slightly less of an eye-sore than the current one. Looks a bit like a small Camry.

katana9x4
10-31-2007, 09:47 PM
IMO there is nothing wrong with making a car like this, but when all you make is boring bland vehicles and your fastest one is a truck - there is something wrong.

racin_jayson
10-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Bland boring vehicles for bland boring people.
Toyota's lineup = teh suck

Why don't they trickle down some of thier great innovative ideas from the lexus lineup?

01RedDX
10-31-2007, 10:09 PM

mark4091
10-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Hell I want an mr2, I want a celica, I want a supra, but I'm a car person, and you're all car people, we want cool fast cars, and theres a good chance we're all going to be 50 still trying to fit into little sports cars.

The target audience for this car is people who don't want to stand out, they want to be able to get from A to B efficiently and have comfort.

While I'm still a little pissed toyota can't make at least one cool car anymore, they just don't sell like these.

BokCh0y
10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Don't mind it at all.

403Gemini
10-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

did they also loose respect when they made the most money and sold the most cars?

Ill answer with Zephyr's post:

Originally posted by Zephyr

To a community like beyond and other car enthusiasts, you're fucking right they did. They make cars to make money - they are making cars to get people from point a to b. Their target audience has drifted so far away from tuners and car enthusiasts its now to people who just want a reliable "appliance" (which their reliability has been slowly faltering). Honestly its the people who purchase these cars who dont give a shit if they swing their door open and hit your car in the parking lot.

Nothing wrong with economy cars, not by any means at all... but when a company who had A LOT going for it in the sports compact department abandons that ship and hasnt had anything inspiring in their lineup for 5+ years.... id say somethings wrong. the Camry was a step in the right direction... but really thats the last best move they really made to appeal to people who want a car to have fun driving the car (well... that and i actually find the taco fun :thumbsup: lol and im a domestic truck fan haha)

clem24
11-01-2007, 01:00 AM
but when a company who had A LOT going for it in the sports compact department abandons that ship and hasnt had anything inspiring in their lineup for 5+ years.... id say somethings wrong.

LOL ok.. So getting set to take over GM as the world's biggest automaker.. You think there's something wrong? Guess again buddy. Toyota knows exactly what they're doing. Ok their quality has been diminishing lately, but the fact of the matter is, they are very profitable. Period. Where are the passion car makers? Mazda? hahaha, they wish they were Toyota.

Not that I agree with this. Their cars are boring and I wouldn't buy a Toyota now. But so what.. They turned a blind eye to 1 kid that might buy their car, but who the fuck cares when 10 other middle aged ppl are lining up behind him to buy.

Redlyne_mr2
11-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Toyota has Scion.. that's their youth market and Scions are wicked little cars for the money.

heavyD
11-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by silver_gs-R
Corolla :barf:

Civic :drool:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Anyone that drools over the current Civic should be banned from a car enthusiast forum LOL. While it has a tad bit more going for it compared to the Corolla it's shape is pretty angular & bland plus it's burdened with one of the worst dash layouts in recent history.:thumbsdow

There should be some rules set up for improper usage of the drool emoticon. Exotic cars, M3, Skyline, Supra, EVO, STI, even S2K or 300ZX but please not a Civic. The 1990's are long gone son.;)

Eleanor
11-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Looks better then the previous gen but still, i would never buy one. But I do know plenty of people who would.

4doorj
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
not feeling it at all
looksl ike a big yaris

blownz
11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
[B]Here's the kicker.

Engine is carry over without additional power. Honda is @ 150 and Mazda is @ 140 in base form.

Tranny is also carry over, while 4 speed auto is forgivable on a Mazda 3, Civic is already on 5 speed. WTF is with the 4 spd auto? What is this, 1987?

I sure hope accuracy isn't important at your work, or if it is you put more effort into it than you do your post here.

Civic has 140hp, not 150. Mazda has 148 base, not 140. And Mazda has had a 5 speed automatic for a few years now.

I do agree with most people on the new Corolla though. It is disappointing. And looks like simply a larger Yaris 4 door. It will be a great car for people like my mother-in-law though who think buying a car is the same as buying a fridge and don't care if the car is as stylish as a fridge and handles as well as one would as well.

T-Dubbs
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by STI
The current 08 type S is ~26k. With the rising dollar, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold the 09 XRS model for ~26k, which is not bad of a deal, according that is fully loaded with leather, gps, tiptronic.. ect.
the top corolla goes for like 28-29k
i assume the prices will stay the same, except for new options

you guys probly dont like it because u arnt the target audience for this car....

did u like the previous corolla/matrix?
i didnt, and still dont. Toyota will still make a killing
the sporty XRS model is just gay!
the previous gen XRS had 180hp? and the new one is 154
i dont get it

kvanderlaag
11-01-2007, 10:27 AM
It's a Camrolla. It'll sell well.

I miss good Celicas.

bspot
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
WTF is with the need to carry the lines from the A pillar all the way down the hood these days? :barf:

Godfuader
11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Average Corolla buyer is not concerned about anything but A to B driving. It has a reliability stamp on it for the last few decades, and that will continue making it a super profitable vehicle for Toyota. Car enthusiasts make a small proportion of the driving world. Toyota is just pumping out what the majority wants. You know some people out there want a stove that has a million and one features...the majority of us want to turn a knob and just boil some water. Simplicity appeals to the masses.

R!zz0
11-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I actually drove the 2007 Corolla for almost 3 weeks (Bro-in law)...Not bad. It's light, very comfy, very fuel efficient and of course, RELIABLE. It's a car that will be with you for many decades.

This is all Toyota can come out with? Hyundai is more exciting than this piece of shit.

I would buy the Corolla anytime over Hyundai.

403Gemini
11-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs

the top corolla goes for like 28-29k
i assume the prices will stay the same, except for new options

you guys probly dont like it because u arnt the target audience for this car....

did u like the previous corolla/matrix?
i didnt, and still dont. Toyota will still make a killing
the sporty XRS model is just gay!
the previous gen XRS had 180hp? and the new one is 154
i dont get it

That always boggled my mind, how could they justify stuffing in a weaker engine, but didnt lower the price?

npham
11-04-2007, 05:38 AM
http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/11/2009_toyota_corolla_s3_breaks.html

They should have made the S3 a production car. It's not like they don't know how to make a "good" car.

TorqueDog
11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
It's a car that will be with you for many decades.The average person changes vehicles or wants to change vehicles every 3-4 years. They get bored after a while. Not to mention that the car being what it is in inherently boring to begin with. I can't imagine that would help much.

HondaRice
11-05-2007, 02:08 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/31/sema-2007-2009-toyota-corolla-debuts/ \

call it a peice of shit, call it all you want, they don't need your complains, if they were doing it wrong why is the corolla happen to the worlds best seller?

403Gemini
11-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
\

call it a peice of shit, call it all you want, they don't need your complains, if they were doing it wrong why is the corolla happen to the worlds best seller?

Because of consumers like this:

http://www.mulawa.net/special/family/grandma.jpg

Godfuader
11-05-2007, 08:28 PM

Because of consumers like this:

http://www.mulawa.net/special/family/grandma.jpg
Simple fact: There are far more ^^ with $$ than there are
http://www.labutaca.net/fotos/5/atodogas/gas4.jpg

Godfuader
11-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by npham
http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/11/2009_toyota_corolla_s3_breaks.html

They should have made the S3 a production car. It's not like they don't know how to make a "good" car.

:eek: Wow, that is actually impressive. An exciting Corolla?? That hasn't happened since 1987.

403Gemini
11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Simple fact: There are far more ^^ with $$ than there are
http://www.labutaca.net/fotos/5/atodogas/gas4.jpg

hahaha touche my friend, touche

blownz
11-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I sure hope I don't settle for something pathetic and boring when I get older just because I'm old. I will do my best to drive fun/sporty/luxury cars my entire life. So basically I hope I will never own a toyota. lol