PDA

View Full Version : Well, Quebec's looking like a bunch of idiots. Again.

JRSC00LUDE
11-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Hmmmm, you can't play for the montreal canadians if you don't speak french.....politicians are morons.

"On Wednesday, Parti Quebecois Leader Pauline Marois went even further. She said the Canadiens organization should insist on French courses for its players. "

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071031/habs_language_071031/20071031?hub=QPeriod

GO TO HELL.

rip
11-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Screw practice..........go study French. That is rediculous.

Antonito
11-01-2007, 09:04 AM
What are they going to do if he doesn't learn, get rid of him? If I were him, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

JRSC00LUDE
11-01-2007, 09:08 AM
^

Way to ensure the freee agency market doesn't come within 100 miles of your team hey?

Not like the team would ever adopt it anyways but it's a perfect example of why I have the impression that quebec's nothing more than a bunch of arrogant assholes.

nadroj23
11-01-2007, 09:12 AM
I like the premier he actually knows wtf he is talking about. But it is fuckin stupid if they make people speak french just to play fuckin hockey. French is the offically language of Quebec? Well english is the offically language of CANADA! I say fuck off.

bulaian
11-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Exactly... way to deter players from coming to play in a city with an already pretty bad rep for discrimination and disrespectful media

Canmorite
11-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by nadroj23
I like the premier he actually knows wtf he is talking about. But it is fuckin stupid if they make people speak french just to play fuckin hockey. French is the offically language of Quebec? Well english is the offically language of CANADA! I say fuck off.

No it isn't. Canada is bi-lingual.

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/bilingualism/g/offlanguages.htm

Anyway, Quebec is still fucked.

rc2002
11-01-2007, 09:29 AM
If that actually happens I think the Canadiens might suffer the same fate as the Nordiques.

kertejud
11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by nadroj23

The people suggesting this are a small minority in an opposition party, it really has nothing to do with the premier, or even the govnernment of Quebec for that matter. Its just some wacko trying to keep his name in the paper.

And Canada's official languages are English AND French. Of course the only province that also is bilingual is New Brunswick (fun fact for everybody).

Heff
11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Scenario: Montreal used to be home to a ton of Big Business Canada. Things were going well and the city used to have a great economy.

Enter the PQ, who removed english signs, and mandatesd french-only policy for the province.

Exit big business as they all moved to Toronoto to escape from the language laws and the instability and danger of separatism. And look at Montreal now.

Quebec cuts its own foot off to spite itself sometimes.

mark4091
11-01-2007, 11:25 AM
I love how they go out of the way to make everybody speak French ect, but they're going to be spending most of they're time speaking English when they have to move to an English province for work.

$lick_rYz
11-01-2007, 11:26 AM
what's next? ...french audience!?!?!?

ekguy
11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
not to sound like an arrogant prick and no im not from Quebec but from NB and I feel like most english people are too stupid to learn french. I'm sorry but I was able to speak english from the age of 5 and by grade 12 was allready doing univeristy english in IB. It is one of the official languages of Canada yet only Quebec and some of NB really pushes french and yet we are all forced to learn english. I hear it all the time blah blah blah english is the official language. Being arrogant about english is just a nice way to cover that most people are too god damned idiotic and lazy to learn another language.

flame suit on but it's just my opinion

ekguy
11-01-2007, 12:02 PM
and also just to add I don't agree with the french speaking hockey player thing....but all in all it wouldn't be the end of the world if people were to learn french it's not like it's rocket science...well sorta I guess compared to english

forkdork
11-01-2007, 12:13 PM
+1 for Quebec fucking off.

Go join France...... Oh yeah, they don't want you either.

Benny
11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
No, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be a bunch of bullshit that would further alienate Quebec from the rest of Canada. Quebec needs to just shut the fuck up sometimes.

JRSC00LUDE
11-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
....... and yet we are all forced to learn english. I hear it all the time blah blah blah english is the official language. Being arrogant about english is just a nice way to cover that most people are too god damned idiotic and lazy to learn another language.

I'm not even going to go there.

Weapon_R
11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
not to sound like an arrogant prick and no im not from Quebec but from NB and I feel like most english people are too stupid to learn french. I'm sorry but I was able to speak english from the age of 5 and by grade 12 was allready doing univeristy english in IB. It is one of the official languages of Canada yet only Quebec and some of NB really pushes french and yet we are all forced to learn english. I hear it all the time blah blah blah english is the official language. Being arrogant about english is just a nice way to cover that most people are too god damned idiotic and lazy to learn another language.

Yes, English speaking Canada is stupid yet we're the ones supporting your asses over in Quebec/Martimes. Grab a rope, son.

topmade
11-01-2007, 12:29 PM
We should cut the province out, call superman to pick it up and dump them in the pacific ocean to float around, then fill the hole with water and call it Lake Quebec.

D911
11-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Most people dont learn french because 90% of the country doesnt speak it.

You'd be better off learning chinese, you'll probably have more opportunity to use that than french in any place thats not quebec.

replayboy
11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
. Being arrogant about english is just a nice way to cover that most people are too god damned idiotic and lazy to learn another language.

flame suit on but it's just my opinion [/B][/QUOTE]

Yah for sure :rolleyes:

ekguy
11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
bahah i knew i would stir some shit up. We are all entitled to our opinions and yeah Steve maybe learning chinese would be better but it still dosn't take away the fact that the federal government does recognize it as a second official language. And I do believe that most people are too lazy to learn french, or any other language for that matter which is why english tourists assume they will be understood everywhere in the world....because everyone should know english right???

finboy
11-01-2007, 01:07 PM
you know why people are too lazy to learn french? the same reason most people are too lazy to learn latin, 99.99% of people will never need to use it.

i think it would be interesting if they replaced the second official language of canada with chinese :thumbsup:

Antonito
11-01-2007, 01:26 PM
bahah i knew i would stir some shit up. We are all entitled to our opinions and yeah Steve maybe learning chinese would be better but it still dosn't take away the fact that the federal government does recognize it as a second official language. And I do believe that most people are too lazy to learn french, or any other language for that matter which is why english tourists assume they will be understood everywhere in the world....because everyone should know english right???

Why go through the trouble of learning a language to use for a vacation? Does any other nation do this? No.

jhmed
11-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Did any of you know that NB has a special 'deal' with the government of Quebec that anyone coming from there has a CHOICE of whether to attend an English school for a French school? A lot of people and immigrants DON'T have a choice. They are FORCED into French schools, and its sink or swim for them. I shudder to think what would have happened to me and my future if I was forced into a French school...

Being from southern New Brunswick and having lived in Montreal for many years, I can honestly tell you that the rest of the country's french courses in Jr High and High School suck. I went from 8th grade French in NB where we were learning the names of animals to smack dab into grade 9 in Montreal where we wrote essays and daily homework was to watch the news in French and write 100 words about the days' events.

I tried my hardest to learn French; and it's not because I'm an idiot or too lazy. I took summer school every year BY CHOICE so that I could try and catch up to my classmates and actually graduate with my friends and peers. They tried everything with me; putting me in special classes with people who couldn't speak english OR french... I stayed late after class and my teachers played me tapes from the previous 10 years of the oral portion of the government's French final exams for Grade 11 (senior year there before heading to CEGEP). I just don't have the 'tongue' for languages.

Did you know that part of the French Final exam to graduate high school involves picking out a Parisienne french accent from a Quebecois, from an Acadian? WTF!

Hell, I couldn't get even a part time job until I was frickin 18 because I couldn't speak the language!

There was a business just down the street from my high school, it was a bakery, and on the front window it had Welcome written in about 15 different languages. They got fined by the Language Police (yes, they really have a Language Police) for the Bienvenue not being larger than the rest or displayed on the top of the list.

In the end, I had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't graduate. If I stayed in Montreal, all I could do for work was warehouse jobs (I had one for 2 days in August one summer when summerschool let out) which was difficult since chances were my boss and co-workers would be the opposite: they spoke French but couldn't speak a lick of English.

The only way I could get ahead in life would be to move out of Quebec and stay with family back home to finish High School.

Luckily, I didn't have to worry about it... In grade 11, in May, my family and I moved to Vancouver... I was able to coast thru Grade 12, I made new friends and graduated and went on to University. I've lost a lot of the french I did pick up in Montreal over the past 18 years, but I have never forgotten the prejudice, and the frustrations that both me and my family had to face in that province and I will never go back... not even for a visit.

You wanna lose your hockey team? Go ahead. Force this issue. Can't happen, you say? Hmmm. Where are the Nordiques?

ekguy
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
the nordiques were sold to colorado had nothing to do with language. They just wanted money. I can't see this working for them. With what I said concerning English arrogance I have to say the french in Quebec are just as arrogant towards english, but NB is completely bilingual and there are no issues.

bulaian
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
The move to Denver

For the 1994-95 season, Marc Crawford was hired as the new head coach, and Forsberg was deemed ready to finally join the team, but first there was the problem of a lockout. In the shortened season of 48 games, the Nordiques played well and finished with the best record in the Eastern Conference. However, the team faltered in the postseason and was eliminated in the first round by the defending Stanley Cup champion New York Rangers.

The playoff loss proved to be Quebec's swan song in the NHL as the team's financial troubles increasingly took center stage, even in the face of renewed fan support over the previous three years. Quebec City was by far the smallest market in the NHL, and the second-smallest market in North America to host a big-league team (behind only Green Bay, Wisconsin). The league's Canadian teams (with the exception of Montreal, Toronto, and to a lesser extent, Vancouver) found it difficult to compete in a new age of rising player salaries. This made many of the players concerned about their marketability, especially since the Nords always played in the long shadow of the Canadiens. .In addition, most players were skittish about playing in what was virtually a unilingual Francophone city. Then as now, there were no privately-owned English language radio stations in the city, and only one privately-owned English language television station. The only English-language newspaper is a weekly. Unlike in Montreal, public address announcements were given only in French

rc2002
11-01-2007, 02:23 PM
the nordiques were sold to colorado had nothing to do with language. They just wanted money. I can't see this working for them. With what I said concerning English arrogance I have to say the french in Quebec are just as arrogant towards english, but NB is completely bilingual and there are no issues.

Without enough players (especially without any good players) there won't be any money for the team. A good Hockey Franchise team needs a large player base to choose their talent - narrowing it down to french speaking will only hinder them.

msommers
11-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Remind me why the French were allowed to stay after the British beat them?

heavyD
11-01-2007, 02:29 PM

Living in Calgary, of what benefit would French be to me? Nobody speaks it here so the only thing I could see myself benefitting would be if I aspired to get into politics or a government job. Otherwise I guess it would come in handy watching hockey games on RDS but then again I hate the Habs.:whocares:

Quite frankly I'd rather learn Spanish.

heavyD
11-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by msommers

The British kept the French around for morale. No matter how bad things got in the frozen tundra, they could look at the French and be reminded that things could be worse.

boredengineer
11-01-2007, 02:42 PM
:rolleyes: People complain about a lack of tolerance well Albertans are definitly not know for their tolerance... The street runs both ways and in my experience english speakers are a *LOT* more intolerant of francophones than french speakers. Most people who speak french don't run about insulting people who speak english unlike in Alberta where speaking french is liable to get you a bunch of bigot comments about frog or go back to Quebec. :thumbsdow

Team_Mclaren
11-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by finboy

i think it would be interesting if they replaced the second official language of canada with chinese :thumbsup:

This guy knows whats up:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Antonito
11-01-2007, 02:44 PM
With what I said concerning English arrogance I have to say the french in Quebec are just as arrogant towards english, but NB is completely bilingual and there are no issues.

Oh yeah, then why are you such an arrogant prick:

not to sound like an arrogant prick and no im not from Quebec but from NB and I feel like most english people are too stupid to learn french........Being arrogant about english is just a nice way to cover that most people are too god damned idiotic and lazy to learn another language.

Glass houses.

heavyD
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer
:rolleyes: People complain about a lack of tolerance well Albertans are definitly not know for their tolerance... The street runs both ways and in my experience english speakers are a *LOT* more intolerant of francophones than french speakers. Most people who speak french don't run about insulting people who speak english unlike in Alberta where speaking french is liable to get you a bunch of bigot comments about frog or go back to Quebec. :thumbsdow

That's complete horseshit.:whipped:

Antonito
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM

You've never been to Quebec, have you?

boredengineer
11-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

You've never been to Quebec, have you?

No never in my life. :rolleyes: Oh and I have experience more random hatred from Albertans for speaking french than I have *EVER* seen anywhere else. People who shout at you or curse at you etc... Mostly old people but I have *NEVER* seen anyone else get bashed in public for doing nothing other than speaking a language. Strange how it is socially acceptable to call me a frog or to tell me to get out of the country or go back to Quebec but you never hear the same thing about any of the other immigrants who speak their native tongue.

bulaian
11-01-2007, 02:55 PM

No never in my life. :rolleyes: Oh and I have experience more random hatred from Albertans for speaking french than I have *EVER* seen anywhere else. People who shout at you or curse at you etc... Mostly old people but I have *NEVER* seen anyone else get bashed in public for doing nothing other than speaking a language. Strange how it is socially acceptable to call me a frog or to tell me to get out of the country or go back to Quebec but you never hear the same thing about any of the other immigrants who speak their native tongue.

must be nice to be that naive... you mean you've never head a derogatory/racist name called to anyone else in the world besides a french person? :rolleyes:

boredengineer
11-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

must be nice to be that naive... you mean you've never head a derogatory/racist name called to anyone else in the world besides a french person? :rolleyes:

No it happens to everyone at some point in their life but the thing is that it is seen as acceptable by most people in Alberta to use such terms. :dunno:

ekguy
11-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

The British kept the French around for morale. No matter how bad things got in the frozen tundra, they could look at the French and be reminded that things could be worse.

nice way to put it. It's always nice to know that the imperialistic ways of the English will never die...The english brutally killed alot of my ancestors and still to this day act as if it was nothing. Thats like telling black people to "let it go" about slavery. Fuckin morons...

heavyD
11-01-2007, 03:07 PM

nice way to put it. It's always nice to know that the imperialistic ways of the English will never die...The english brutally killed alot of my ancestors and still to this day act as if it was nothing. Thats like telling black people to "let it go" about slavery. Fuckin morons...

Oh is that what your Grandparents told you? The English slaughtere them by the dozens? The French were used as slaves?

Antonito
11-01-2007, 03:07 PM

No it happens to everyone at some point in their life but the thing is that it is seen as acceptable by most people in Alberta to use such terms. :dunno:

No more so than in Quebec. You might not see it through your rose colored glasses, but that doesn't make it not true.

I'm not stupid enough to say Alberta doesn't have problems, but I take issue with people who are stupid enough to say that other places don't.

ekguy
11-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I've lived it out here plenty being told to go back to Quebec because people out here are too god damned stupid to realise I'm not from Quebec. I would not want to be from Quebec because I don't agree with their views...But I have been to many different provinces and have never experienced what I do out here. I've had people give me dirty looks for being on my cell phone and speaking french out here. I do love Alberta for the oppertunities it's created for me but unfortunitely (not saying you guys are) but this province is mostly populated by a bunch of un tolerant hicks that are wannabe americans. With that said I find the Beyond community is diverse and seems mostly tolerant....But obviously there are some bigots here since the comments about french people and the fact that the British basicly commited genocide because the french had balls to say they would swear allegiance to them and then got killed for it. The British were cowards who had to take over as much of the world as they could to feel important. It didn't work for the romans, it didn't work for the british, it didn't work for the Nazis and it won't work for the united states either...nough said. Now I am tolerant but the comments about the british and the french do hit home quite a bit for Acadians since for us it is widely known we colonated here first and were tolf to get the fuck out by the british and then killed off and deported for having the balls to tell them to fuck off...

JRSC00LUDE
11-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Strange how it is socially acceptable to call me a frog or to tell me to get out of the country or go back to Quebec but you never hear the same thing about any of the other immigrants who speak their native tongue.

Maybe it's because none of them have a superiority/entitlement complex like quebec does.

ekguy
11-01-2007, 03:09 PM

Oh is that what your Grandparents told you? The French were used as slaves?

read my post it was a comparision...saying the acadians are expected to just let it go when it came to having our ancestors killed....wasn't saying we were used as slaves at all. just comparing because it seems like alot of americans feel black people should just let it go that it happened to their ancestors.

ekguy
11-01-2007, 03:11 PM
I do have to ask though...Is it so bad to be french seriously because I agree with people who said it I seem to get alot of hate directed towards the fact that I'm french out here whereas it never happened anywhere else??? Why of all places in Canada is Alberta so against French???

BrknFngrs
11-01-2007, 03:11 PM
^^ why leave out the work of Napoleon in your rant??

heavyD
11-01-2007, 03:12 PM

read my post it was a comparision...saying the acadians are expected to just let it go when it came to having our ancestors killed....wasn't saying we were used as slaves at all. just comparing because it seems like alot of americans feel black people should just let it go that it happened to their ancestors.

You make is sound like the French are saints. You need to read up on your history.

heavyD
11-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Why of all places in Canada is Alberta so against French???

Did you read the initial post? The reason this post exists? You guy have Fucking language police for Fuck sakes.

I don't hate them but I like many others have grown tired of the constant whining and separatist movements of Quebecers.

Antonito
11-01-2007, 03:15 PM

So what are your feelings about all the English people who might be upset about all their ancestors that got killed by the French? In case you missed it, France didn't exactly shy away from going to battle with the English.

boredengineer
11-01-2007, 03:18 PM
So what are your feelings about all the English people who might be upset about all their ancestors that got killed by the French? In case you missed it, France didn't exactly shy away from going to battle with the English.

I don't care to wade into the nice little soup of hatred you guys have going but he is refering to the Acadian Genocide which was *NOT* warfare but genocide. Either way bringing up the wrongs of the past doesn't really help but you might as well actually know what he is talking about.

ekguy
11-01-2007, 03:18 PM
we went to battle because the english told us to pledge allegiance or to get the fuck out. Thats like saying sorry to the Nazi's....well you took over our country and forced into war...but we're sorry we killed you guys...of course it sucks englishmen were killed but the war was started by them and because of them. They chose to act and we chose to react. Enough said. If it were the other way around you would feel the same way.

ekguy
11-01-2007, 03:19 PM
another prime example of how wonderfull the british were is ireland...I believe they were excellent in dealing with the irish, you know sleeping with they're wives on they're wedding nights, taking their land...yeah british = excellent track record in human rights. hahah :thumbsdow to the british

Antonito
11-01-2007, 03:20 PM

I don't care to wade into the nice little soup of hatred you guys have going but he is refering to the Acadian Genocide which was *NOT* warfare but genocide. Either way bringing up the wrongs of the past doesn't really help but you might as well actually know what he is talking about.

Ah yes, small pieces of the puzzle that neglect the larger picture, very good

Antonito
11-01-2007, 03:21 PM
another prime example of how wonderfull the british were is ireland...I believe they were excellent in dealing with the irish, you know sleeping with they're wives on they're wedding nights, taking their land...yeah british = excellent track record in human rights. hahah :thumbsdow to the british

Oh for fucks sakes, are you going to try to tell me that the French have a spotless record? You're fucking hopeless.

Antonito
11-01-2007, 03:23 PM
we went to battle because the english told us to pledge allegiance or to get the fuck out. Thats like saying sorry to the Nazi's....well you took over our country and forced into war...but we're sorry we killed you guys...of course it sucks englishmen were killed but the war was started by them and because of them. They chose to act and we chose to react. Enough said. If it were the other way around you would feel the same way.

Yes, because the history between the English and the French started seconds after the first English person arrived in Canada. :rolleyes:

JRSC00LUDE
11-01-2007, 03:24 PM

Haha! I saw Braveheart too!!!! Great movie hey? Weren't they Scottish though?

ekguy
11-01-2007, 03:25 PM
hahah not hopeless and never saying the french have a good record...but the english are definitely not an example to live by. but for the sake of this conversation it's what i chose to point out. but thanks for actually pointing out as I did that it was ideally a genocide that took place, granted not on a big scale such as ww2 but it still took place and it's still not a period of history that us acadians like to think back on.

Antonito
11-01-2007, 03:28 PM
hahah not hopeless and never saying the french have a good record...but the english are definitely not an example to live by. but for the sake of this conversation it's what i chose to point out. but thanks for actually pointing out as I did that it was ideally a genocide that took place, granted not on a big scale such as ww2 but it still took place and it's still not a period of history that us acadians like to think back on.

And of course, unlike WW2, it was not unprovoked.

Here is the difference between us in this argument: I'm willing to admit that Alberta/Britain has flaws. You want to pretend that Quebec/France are just innocent victims. The difference is that I live in reality land, and you live in la-la nothing is ever my fault victim land.

JRSC00LUDE
11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
you live in la-la nothing is ever my fault victim land.

a.k.a. Quebec......

Antonito
11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

a.k.a. Quebec......

you're not helping :poosie:

jhmed
11-01-2007, 04:07 PM
They sure have a "Distinct Society" in Quebec, all right. Not quite French (a la France...) but not quite English either... The Americans don't want them (just their Hydroelectric power), and the (real) French refer to them as "les savages"... Watch MusiquePlus for an hour and then tell me what they're speaking is real French. Shit, it was the only french station I could watch and still understand wtf they were saying. C'est tres FUN. C'est un bon PARTY, n'est pas?

Such an identity and inferiority complex... like small men who have to act extra tough, or small dogs that bark and growl all the time to show you they aren't as 'little' as they look. They are constantly ranting about separation and distinct society.

Hey, didn't they call that the Napoleonic Complex? That's kinda funny, ain't it?

It's just too bad that the government refuses to allow them to evolve as a Province. I support their wanting to hold onto their culture and language and whatnot. They are under influences to the contrary from the south, east and west. I'd say the north but not many people live up there.... they NEED to protect their culture, but not in such an isolationist way. They aren't going to make the rest of North America change to suit them but so far no one has stood up them and some of their antics. For that I blame Ottawa.

Anyways, point is, I believe the way the Quebec government goes about doing that preservation leaves a lot to be desired and as effect of their decisions and policies and the special treatment Ottawa gives them angers many other Canadians. This is amplified in the West because of our disdain and dislike for what is viewed as an indifference by Ottawa of our needs and our own distinctiveness.

They should embrace change. Change doesn't always have to be bad. The dinosaurs didn't evolve and look what that got them. There is a reason the Quebec government fears assimilation into Western culture, and it isn't cultural...

JRSC00LUDE
11-01-2007, 04:08 PM

you're not helping :poosie:

I wouldn't be the first person to say that I'm an asshole. And that's a fact!

Rat Fink
11-01-2007, 04:13 PM

CI_Josh
11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

French is easy to learn.

Hello - "Ribbet"
Where is the washroom? - "Ribbet Ribbet Ribbet"
Tabarnac!, is that your cologne or B.O. Francois? - "Ribbet Ribbet Ribbet Ribbet Ribbet"

:banghead: :guns: :whipped: :eek:

mark4091
11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Give me a break on you're genocide shit. The English and French have a long history of war, from a lot farther back then Canada.

You think the worst thing to happen to you is getting a funny look while talking on you're phone? shittt, did you ever think it may have nothing to do with you're french? and even if it did, still count yourself lucky you guys didn't get hauled off the continent a long time ago.

Pahnda
11-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Come on everyone, lets talk about the real victims now... what about the natives? :cry:

kertejud
11-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by msommers

At the time of the Plains of Abraham, the amount of Canadiens greatly outnumbered the number of English soldiers. It wasn't long until the American Revolution got underway and the Quebec Act was passed in order to gain the support of "New France" in case it poured over. Despite France supporting the Americans, New France fought with the British to drive revolutionary forces out because they didn't believe the Americans would support their language or religion like the Quebec Act would.

The British couldn't lose the support of the French otherwise British North America would have fallen, it remained this way all the way up until Confederation.

Oh is that what your Grandparents told you? The English slaughtere them by the dozens? The French were used as slaves?

Well there were really no slaughters per se, the treatment of Acadians isn't very good. They were uprooted, moved around and treated pretty shitty by the British in he years leading up to the Plains of Abraham, because they couldn't have any Acadian strongholds that would prevent the conquest of New France. After forcing them to what is now New Brunswick, the mass emmigration of loyalists from the colonies in the American Revolution , they were given Acadian lands and the Acadians were forced to find pockets in which to live. This is why northern NB is very french (Roch Voisine anyone :D )

I think you need to watch Braveheart again.

kertejud
11-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jhmed
They sure have a "Distinct Society" in Quebec, all right. Not quite French (a la France...) but not quite English either... The Americans don't want them (just their Hydroelectric power), and the (real) French refer to them as "les savages"... Watch MusiquePlus for an hour and then tell me what they're speaking is real French. Shit, it was the only french station I could watch and still understand wtf they were saying. C'est tres FUN. C'est un bon PARTY, n'est pas?

Quebec French is unique in that it is about 300 years old. (Acadian French is even older). After the British conquered, all the language standardization from France never made it across. Its basically the difference between English we speak now, and the English Shakespeare spoke.

Toss in a couple centuries worth of regional slang and phrases, and those in France can't really understand les Quebecois.

As for MusiquePlus, joual is a whole different language in itself.

TABERNAC! Chu frette. M'as partir. Et qui-ate mon poutine?! Bastiges!

ekguy
11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
i find it funny the english see it as they're god given right to be here and saying we should be lucky not to have been hauled off the continent...let's not remember who was here first...not saying we were but the british sure as well weren't either. native americans were here long before anybody and im sure they would love to have hauled us all off the continent had they had the means to do so.

but this is getting old for me it's like beating a dead horse there is no point. because it's always going to be like that for french people, black people, or any ethnicity i guess....if your not english your different...it's all there is to it.

finboy
11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

French is easy to learn.

Hello - "Ribbet"
Where is the washroom? - "Ribbet Ribbet Ribbet"
Tabarnac!, is that your cologne or B.O. Francois? - "Ribbet Ribbet Ribbet Ribbet Ribbet"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ekguy
11-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by kertejud

At the time of the Plains of Abraham, the amount of Canadiens greatly outnumbered the number of English soldiers. It wasn't long until the American Revolution got underway and the Quebec Act was passed in order to gain the support of "New France" in case it poured over. Despite France supporting the Americans, New France fought with the British to drive revolutionary forces out because they didn't believe the Americans would support their language or religion like the Quebec Act would.

The British couldn't lose the support of the French otherwise British North America would have fallen, it remained this way all the way up until Confederation.

Well there were really no slaughters per se, the treatment of Acadians isn't very good. They were uprooted, moved around and treated pretty shitty by the British in he years leading up to the Plains of Abraham, because they couldn't have any Acadian strongholds that would prevent the conquest of New France. After forcing them to what is now New Brunswick, the mass emmigration of loyalists from the colonies in the American Revolution , they were given Acadian lands and the Acadians were forced to find pockets in which to live. This is why northern NB is very french (Roch Voisine anyone :D )

I think you need to watch Braveheart again.

hahah sorry scotland hahaha. I was in the middle of accounting class so i couldn't really concentrate that much...but yeah I bet there must still be tension in that part of the world because of the past...i know for us in NB being acadian is celebrated and we are proud to be who we are...i mean hell we have big Acadie Day parties on aug 15 and alot of english people partake since back home it's not bad being french it's normal. out here if you don't have a red neck and drive a bick truck and fuck your daughter your different

ekguy
11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
and i realise not everyone is a hick out here but thats the image that alot of canada has about the central provinces including alberta....i guess im not much better seeing as im saying people are hicks....but i sure as hell don't go around telling people anything like go back to quebec....but i like when people say that cuz i can say back in perfect english with no accent that im from fuckin newbrunswick you motherfucker...i love the look on people's faces when they expect me to not barely know english where most my friends don't even know im french since i don't have an accent.

and it's nice to see some people on here know the history behind what happened back in 1755...i would be interested in knowing where the people who know this learned it? it's not ever taught in schools that i know of...

Antonito
11-01-2007, 08:12 PM
i find it funny the english see it as they're god given right to be here and saying we should be lucky not to have been hauled off the continent...let's not remember who was here first...not saying we were but the british sure as well weren't either. native americans were here long before anybody and im sure they would love to have hauled us all off the continent had they had the means to do so. I was wondering when you would break down and use this bullshit. Good to see you didn't let me down. :thumbsup:

but this is getting old for me it's like beating a dead horse there is no point. because it's always going to be like that for french people, black people, or any ethnicity i guess....if your not english your different...it's all there is to it. Unless you go to Quebec, where the roles are reversed. Well, for the French people anyways. All the other ethnicities still get treated like shit, except en Francais

ekguy
11-01-2007, 08:17 PM
thats why i so eloquently pointed out that all ethnicities including the french often get treated poorly...but being white i guess it dosn't happen to me very often unless im speaking french to someone but last time i heard there was somewhere near 40000 french people in calgary alone not including the surrounding towns. it's not that much but it's still a big part of the population...im sure it'll hit the 50000 mark easily in the next year or 2 since half the people who graduate out there come here.

not that 4% of the total population is a big chunck but it's definitely not like we're just 10000 in the city.

Antonito
11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
out here if you don't have a red neck and drive a bick truck and fuck your daughter your different

You know, I can stand assholes, and I can stand pussies. But you're actually both. You spout all sorts of racist bullshit, and then in the same breath cry like a little girl because other people are spouting racist bullshit. For Gods sake, at least pick one.

Then again what do I expect from someone who takes a Mel Gibson movie as an account of world history.

Also, just for fun, since you like using straw man attacks: Algeria.

Pahnda
11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
For something like this you really need to take a survey of a large sample of random people in an area to see the general opinions of people. If I went to Quebec and made a bunch of friends with people who weren't arrogant / intolerant of others and hung out with them, I would expect they would hang out in areas with other like-minded people. But if I made friends with people who I thought were a little arrogant / intolerant my opinion of Quebec may be quite different.

It's not really too representative going on experience alone in a certain area of a province/country/etc. I personally don't really know anyone who gives much of a crap about people from Quebec. However, I know people who think it's retarded to give them benefits over any other province.

Ekguy, Maybe you're hanging out around downtown east side? haha :dunno:

ekguy
11-01-2007, 08:26 PM
no personally i hate the views most of quebecers have towards canada because I am damn proud of being canadian over being anything else. And i will always be proud to be canadian. The thing that bugs me is that people from quebec aren't proud to be french, or being canadian....they are proud to be from quebec...they want they're own country...to hell with that they are part of Canada and should have all the same rights as us....nothing more nothing less...

ekguy
11-01-2007, 08:28 PM

You know, I can stand assholes, and I can stand pussies. But you're actually both. You spout all sorts of racist bullshit, and then in the same breath cry like a little girl because other people are spouting racist bullshit. For Gods sake, at least pick one.

Then again what do I expect from someone who takes a Mel Gibson movie as an account of world history.

Also, just for fun, since you like using straw man attacks: Algeria.

bahahah yeah ok you got me there. I am crying like a little girl...hehe and I am not an asshole. I am a french frog ribbit....I don't even know why english people thinks this is such an insult hahaha

kertejud
11-01-2007, 08:30 PM

and it's nice to see some people on here know the history behind what happened back in 1755...i would be interested in knowing where the people who know this learned it? it's not ever taught in schools that i know of...

Its Grade 8 Social Studies.

01RedDX
11-01-2007, 08:33 PM

jhmed
11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
since i don't have an accent.

Bullshit.

Bullshit, bullshit bullshit.

You may not have a FRENCH accent but EVERYONE -- and I *do* mean EVERYONE from the maritimes has a bit of an accent. It's all in the way we pronounce our "a". Like when we say 'car' or 'bar' or 'far'. It's a shortened ahh sound -vs- the elonogated one from the west. I can pick out that accent even with my deaf ear. I've been gone since 1989 so after 18 years I may have lost the accent but not the ear for hearing it...

Could be worse, I guess... We could have the accent of the Newfs or the New England accent (like from Maine... remember the old guy from Pet Sematary? We were watching that movie last weekend and friends of mine were like WTF, but I told them that's how they talk and they couldn't believe it!)

I don't even know why english people thinks this is such an insult hahaha

We used to call them Pepsi's at my school on the West Island... I know how it came about but don't know why that was considered such a big insult either.

ekguy
11-01-2007, 08:38 PM
yeah it's a maritime accent not a french accent....huge difference...everyone can pick me out as a maritimer but they still assume im english when they hear me talk

pinoyhero
11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Hmmmm, you can't play for the montreal canadians if you don't speak french.....politicians are morons.

"On Wednesday, Parti Quebecois Leader Pauline Marois went even further. She said the Canadiens organization should insist on French courses for its players. "

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071031/habs_language_071031/20071031?hub=QPeriod

GO TO HELL.

Like most I agree, but doesn't really need to be dealt with. Players will choose other teams and the canadien will be disadvantged and all else being equal will be a worse off team. If the province truly would rather have french speaking players over a competitive team and that were to go through the the market (who presumalby would like to see a good team) would vote with their dollars, not buy tickets and eventaully force th team into a move.

svtlight
11-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Bottom line, everyone in Canada hates frenchies. We should let quebec seperate but keep a strip on the us border for a highway going through. If anything I'd prefer have a nazi ran country beside canada than have quebec. Europeans hate french people too.

A french man here, A french man there, a french man everywhere.. damn frenchies

kertejud
11-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by svtlight
Bottom line, everyone in Canada hates frenchies. We should let quebec seperate but keep a strip on the us border for a highway going through. If anything I'd prefer have a nazi ran country beside canada than have quebec. Europeans hate french people too.

A french man here, A french man there, a french man everywhere.. damn frenchies

Then why do so many people go to France?

svtlight
11-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Gay parades? eiffel tower? wine? It sure as fuck isn't to talk to french people.

forkdork
11-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Gay parades? eiffel tower? wine? It sure as fuck isn't to talk to french people.

:rofl: :rofl:

Reminds me of a old Jeremy Clarkson quote where he was describing why he likes the Basque Country:

"It's like France, without the French people"

kertejud
11-01-2007, 09:52 PM

Shame, you seem like a guy full of interesting things to say.

My post was a reference to the book, 'Why we love France, but hate the French.' Which basically talks about why everybody seems to hate the French, but loves everything they do.

mark4091
11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
i find it funny the english see it as they're god given right to be here and saying we should be lucky not to have been hauled off the continent...let's not remember who was here first...not saying we were but the british sure as well weren't either. native americans were here long before anybody and im sure they would love to have hauled us all off the continent had they had the means to do so.

but this is getting old for me it's like beating a dead horse there is no point. because it's always going to be like that for french people, black people, or any ethnicity i guess....if your not english your different...it's all there is to it.

Christ.... you're so perfect aren't you? yes it's all the british, they're the racists, they are the slave drivers ect. It's so easy to forget about the french with slaves.

You say the natives were populating the entire country running a government or something? it's bullshit and I'm tired of hearing it.
Yes the natives were here first, there is no debate, but they were not running a civilized society.(if anything they were covering 100's of little nations)

"french people, black people, or any ethnicity i guess....if your not english your different...it's all there is to it."

^ god damn it, this is the problem, English don't think of themselves as special, we think of ourselves as CANADIANS, this is the problem holding our country back, Quebecois think of themselves as Quebecois, they don't repect anything this country has done, they have a seperatist party in parliament FFS.

msommers
11-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Holy crap this thing has exploded!

It's interesting how some defending Quebec are assuming Albertans are red necks who are all racist 'out to pick on the French man' while some Albertans are calling Quebecers frogs which is obviously racist to the French people (whatever frog does mean).

I've worked up north with many, many Quebecers, all of them friendly and surprise surprise, these rest of the crew was good to them too! Why? Well because they worked hard and didn't bitch. No one gave a shit if they were French or not but their work ethic. FYI, Quebec income tax is a bitch.

I think Albertans are more sick of Quebec's policies then they are of actual Quebec residence; their own nation inside a nation while still using Canadian dollars and being called Canadians.

Finally, I support Quebec separating whole-heartedly. They will never separate (imo) and will continue to "threaten" us like a school-girl about not getting everything. Again, I'm going to reiterate, Quebecers are fine, not their policies.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-02-2007, 12:07 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

01RedDX
11-02-2007, 12:11 AM

old&slow
11-02-2007, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by D911

Most people dont learn french because 90% of the country doesnt speak it.

You'd be better off learning chinese, you'll probably have more opportunity to use that than french in any place thats not quebec.

I'm definitely too stoopid to learn chinese!

Super_Geo
11-02-2007, 05:21 AM
I do have to ask though...Is it so bad to be french seriously because I agree with people who said it I seem to get alot of hate directed towards the fact that I'm french out here whereas it never happened anywhere else??? Why of all places in Canada is Alberta so against French???

Ok princess, let me spell it out for you.

It's not the French that people hate, but it might be the fact that you're a fucking retard. Look at your first post in this thread:

...I feel like most english people are too stupid to learn french...

...Being arrogant about english is just a nice way to cover that most people are too god damned idiotic and lazy to learn another language...

Now there's the epitome of tact... :rolleyes: They must not have a word for irony in French.