PDA

View Full Version : anyone in advertising?

gmoney82
11-01-2007, 09:57 AM
In short;

I'm looking to break into the advertising industry, more specifically the accounts side. If anyone on here has some info/advice regarding openings for entry level accounts, please let me know!

thanks

Fivewayradio
11-02-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm pretty sure that's a fairly easy gig to get. The biggest and best agencies in town are McLaren McCann, Highwood, Wax, Venture, Taxi and Trigger. Find out who the account directors are for each of those agencies and address your resume specifically to that person. Include a nice cover letter that says that you know who the key accounts are at that agency, what you're capable of doing and what you want to do. Do your research, make sure you know the company, their clients and the work.

Other agencies are Creative Intelligence (fucking shithole, but not a bad place to get a start), Tag, Wonder, Zero Gravity, Applied Communications, Saw, Karo, William Joseph. There are a bunch more that I can't remember.

If you can't get a job there try Veer. It's not an agency but it's apparently a really good place to work and they're constantly growing. It'll give you a good industry overview and be helpful in getting on with an agency later.

I also suggest being really in the know as to what's going on in the industry. Who's doing what, who's winning awards for what, etc. Not just in this market but in other markets as well.

sexualbanana
11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
It's pretty competitive to get into agencies. Moreso because of the glamorous perception the industry gets. Also because account-side isn't a technical field, theoretically, the average joe can do it. So there's a long process of weeding out those who aren't capable by underpaying and overworking new people.

Also, don't expect the same perks that your friends in O&G and other companies would get. Most agencies, by nature, are small so things like bonuses, RRSP matching, etc won't be available. Instead, your perks come in the form of (in the case of a lot, but not all agencies) a casual work environment (not all suits, all the time), and sometimes flexible hours. Most advertising/marketing jobs at an agency are not 9-5 type jobs.

fiveway has made a pretty good list of agencies in Calgary. I just thought I'd contribute my 2 cents to my experiences in an agency.

gmoney82
11-05-2007, 01:38 PM
thanks for the advice guys.... looks like a got lots of prep-work to do...doesnt seem as simple as emailing my resume and twiddling my fingers waiting for an interview

adamc
11-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82
thanks for the advice guys.... looks like a got lots of prep-work to do...doesnt seem as simple as emailing my resume and twiddling my fingers waiting for an interview

Is anything in life?

core_upt
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
From my research, most agencies are looking for multi-disciplined people, with experience in sales AND design, or design for print AND web.

What is your background? Education? Experience?

gmoney82
11-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
From my research, most agencies are looking for multi-disciplined people, with experience in sales AND design, or design for print AND web.

What is your background? Education? Experience?

Degree in marketing, currently in sales, non-professional experience in design for print (did marketing for business club at university)

Its just kind of frustrating because I know so much of this depends on networking, and with most of my contacts being outside of the marketing realm, I would definitely have to build from ground up.

msouther
11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I work in Advertising for the Calgary Herald. Been there for about 3.5 years and it is a great job. I started out working in Classifieds doing inbound sales etc. I don't have any fancy education, just the sales skills and drive. I started in the entry level position that the Herald offers, and worked my way up to an Account Executive and an outside sales role. There are always jobs available at the Herald, but our brand is pretty strong so there is always quite a few applicants fighting for the few positions available. Good luck to you and if you have any questions about my industry, let me know.

sexualbanana
11-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82

Degree in marketing, currently in sales, non-professional experience in design for print (did marketing for business club at university)

Its just kind of frustrating because I know so much of this depends on networking, and with most of my contacts being outside of the marketing realm, I would definitely have to build from ground up.

Depends on where you go. If you find a full service agency, you won't need to know any creative/studio type of work. I know I have very minimal design experience, but my agency has a creative dept, so I just let them make the creative decisions. But I've seen other people who's job requirements include a proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop, etc.

The smaller the agency, the more narrow the scope of your work.

Fivewayradio
11-07-2007, 01:30 PM
For an account coordinator position you won't need any creative (design or copywriting) skills. But great communications skills are essential. A degree in marketing is the perfect place to start, so don't get disheartened.

Seriously, spend an hour one day and call all the agencies I listed. Find out the names of all the account directors and shoot them a resume. All this might take 4 hours total. It'll be worth it.

And not to contradict the advice that others have posted, but working at a smaller agency can sometimes mean a broader scope of work. A smaller agency will often allow you wear more hats, giving you broader experience. Although, small agencies tend to have smaller clients and smaller budgets which can sometimes be limiting.

gmoney82
11-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Fivewayradio
For an account coordinator position you won't need any creative (design or copywriting) skills. But great communications skills are essential. A degree in marketing is the perfect place to start, so don't get disheartened.

Seriously, spend an hour one day and call all the agencies I listed. Find out the names of all the account directors and shoot them a resume. All this might take 4 hours total. It'll be worth it.

And not to contradict the advice that others have posted, but working at a smaller agency can sometimes mean a broader scope of work. A smaller agency will often allow you wear more hats, giving you broader experience. Although, small agencies tend to have smaller clients and smaller budgets which can sometimes be limiting.

Thanks for the advice - and from everyone above. I've had several info interviews with colleagues and contacts alike in the past few years who have had experience in advertising, so my expectations are realistic. Its not as glamourous as people percieve, and the starting pay is $hit,...& I know that Calgary isn't the marketing/advertising mecca of Canada, and that I'd have to look eastward into Toronto for a larger variety of positions avail...

If anybody who's been in an agency setting can take a few minutes to look at my resume, please shoot me a PM, It'd be great to get an objective opinion on what people see ...