PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the VW City Golf/Jetta?

A790
11-01-2007, 10:08 PM
The Probe is starting to kick the bucket (it rolled over 201.xxx yesterday *sniff*) which isn't really surprising considering all the BS it's been through in the last year (hit a deer, got pushed into a wall by a truck, and untold amounts of stop and go in T.O.'s highways). I guess it's time for me to replace the old girl.

Since I will be driving the MR2 from April - Oct/Nov I really only need a car for the winter months and hence don't need anything fancy at all. Power locks, air conditioning (in the event that I drive it during the spring/summer for some reason), maybe a moonroof or something.

Anyway, the City Golf/Jetta both start at like 16K and are around 18K with the options that I want. Searching online reveals few meaningful reviews, so does anyone here have any experience with them and, if so, what are they like? I realize that they lack meaningful power but that's not really important to me.

If they're garbage, what are some other suggestions for around that price range (under 20K) that aren't POS's?

Klobi-1-Kinobi
11-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Good car for the price, better than most alternatives out there.

01RedDX
11-01-2007, 10:44 PM

danno
11-01-2007, 10:56 PM
well i think the car is alright, but to get good service on a vw in calgary is hard. well i've had trouble.

have you seen the new front and rear on the car, they've changed them just recently it's sorta a mk4.5

but like i said i'm happy with the mkv gti, just bad service.

nismodrifter
11-01-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't know why VW is giving us this Chinese SHIT styling.
If you can find an 07' model (which looks a normal MKIV Jetta/Golf) then I'd go for it. Not this new 08' shit though.

The NEW City Jetta/Golf:
http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carros/vw/2008/bora-7g.jpg

http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carros/vw/2008/bora-2g.jpg

http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carros/vw/2008/golf-aut-6g.jpg

http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carros/vw/2008/golf-aut-3g.jpg

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

schocker
11-01-2007, 11:18 PM
They are good for the money, but for a little bit more you can get the rabbit which is probably one of the best values in its class with all of its features, and yes, they made it soooooo ugly it is unbelieveable. so my suggestion is look into a rabbit.

bobby_lu
11-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Nismo is right, the '08 are ass ugly, get an '07. They are definately awesome for the price, and for under 20K with all the features you NEED, why not?

Beware of the 2.slow however.

gpomp
11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
lol, i was just gonna ask when did they start selling chinese vw's here?

A790
11-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
Nismo is right, the '08 are ass ugly, get an '07. They are definately awesome for the price, and for under 20K with all the features you NEED, why not?

Beware of the 2.slow however.

07's are easy to find out here so that's no big deal, and the 2.0 115hp engine isn't really a big deal either since I'm leaning more towards economy rather than performance (I've got the MR2 for that).

All in all they seem decent so I guess I'll go test drive one. Thanks everyone ;)

Kavy
11-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Read deeper and find out what a "city" jetta actually is. I suggest googling VW, failure to pass crash tests, and bribes and see what you come up with.

These cars are built well yes but with 04-05 parts, dont you see how different the body lines are and the build when you look at a regular 07? take a look when you go to the dealership.

A790
11-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

These cars are built well yes...
That's what's important to me right now. I'm driving a 16 year old car as my pleasure vehicle. Honestly, reliability and economy... that's all I want.

HRD2PLZ
11-02-2007, 12:34 AM
A friend of mine got a City Golf in March of this year and she absolutely loves it. Hasn't had any problems so far. Her only complaint is that the car isn't all that quick.

Mangina
11-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by A790

and the 2.0 115hp engine isn't really a big deal either since I'm leaning more towards economy rather than performance (I've got the MR2 for that).

Seriously, that engine is makes a car dangerously slow. 0 passing power.

Aleks
11-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by schocker
They are good for the money, but for a little bit more you can get the rabbit which is probably one of the best values in its class with all of its features, and yes, they made it soooooo ugly it is unbelieveable. so my suggestion is look into a rabbit.

Fully loaded Rabbit is not that much more and it comes with a 170hp and 177tq engine. We've had one for a year now and had no issues with it. Liked it way better than the Civic or Mazda 3 for the $.

Mr. Burns
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Fully loaded Rabbit is not that much more and it comes with a 170hp and 177tq engine. We've had one for a year now and had no issues with it. Liked it way better than the Civic or Mazda 3 for the $.

I agree 100% The MKV's are worth the extra cash by faaaaaar.

A790
11-02-2007, 07:58 AM
A Rabbit eh... never even looked at it. How have you found the economy/reliability Aleks?

Aleks
11-02-2007, 08:30 AM
A Rabbit eh... never even looked at it. How have you found the economy/reliability Aleks?

Car has been trouble free for a year. I am aware of VW's reliability issues but even so, after driving one I was convinced. It just felt so much better than the competition and I like the looks too. One thing that could be better is the fuel economy. But the car has 1 extra cylinder and lots of TQ. I get about 10.5L/100kms in 100% city driving mostly stop and go.

We bought this car for my fiancee to drive but since I got rid of my BMW It's our only car. I think it's still the only car in this class with a 6 speed auto tranny too If i am not mistaken. Now if VW would only hurry up and bring the Rabbit TDi over :love:

freshprince1
11-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey Cam, I saw a sweet 1993 Ford Taurus yesterday with home-made racing stripes and a kick@$$ spoiler mounted in the middle of the trunk...the ipidomy of reliability and style if you ask me, and for $973.00!? You couldn't ask for a better deal bro.

A790
11-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Hey Cam, I saw a sweet 1993 Ford Taurus yesterday with home-made racing stripes and a kick@$$ spoiler mounted in the middle of the trunk...the ipidomy of reliability and style if you ask me, and for $973.00!? You couldn't ask for a better deal bro.

What? No ground effects? Not interested :D

I'm going to look at a City Golf and a Rabbit today- the Rabbit is 24K with the options that I want, and the Golf is 19K with the options that I want. I like the idea of an extra 55 hp though, so I'm going to have a test and see which I like.

Thanks for the input everyone :)

euro_racer
11-02-2007, 10:14 AM
i think the new city jetta has potencial to look good...i think it will grow on people eventually

the new golf tho...:barf: looks almost like a toureg

gpomp
11-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I think it's still the only car in this class with a 6 speed auto tranny too If i am not mistaken. the city golf and city jetta have 6 speeds

Aleks
11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
the city golf and city jetta have 6 speeds

ya I was thinking competition like Honda, mazda subaru etc all have less than 6.

Tilly
11-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Researching some more articles out there wouldn't hurt either. As stated above, the new city's are built with components designed and used up to 5 years ago, so you're not getting anything advanced by any means. On the other hand, said components have been over-manufactured over the years, and should stand the test of reliability. Although they are basic cars, they may also be the cheapest on the market today, and considering VW's original reputation as the "peoples' vehicle", with their low pricing, it's about time VW brought back something like this.

A790
11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Tilly
Researching some more articles out there wouldn't hurt either. As stated above, the new city's are built with components designed and used up to 5 years ago, so you're not getting anything advanced by any means. On the other hand, said components have been over-manufactured over the years, and should stand the test of reliability. Although they are basic cars, they may also be the cheapest on the market today, and considering VW's original reputation as the "peoples' vehicle", with their low pricing, it's about time VW brought back something like this.

I'm looking at the City Golf and the Rabbit. The Rabbit is 5.5K more than the Golf, so I'm going to have to see if the extra change is worth it.

danno
11-02-2007, 06:57 PM
if your thinking of new you could pick up a 07 gti they sell for $21k usd. riv says you can't bring a 08 up. right now i'd go to the states and buy one, you can get so much more for the same price.

bspot
11-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Rabbits are worse on gas than a GTI. A huge downfall of that engine in my opinion.

FiveFreshFish
11-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Why not get a '02 or '03 GTI for less money than a new City?

Then add these and you'll have the perfect daily driver.

A790
11-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Why not get a '02 or '03 GTI for less money than a new City?

Then add these and you'll have the perfect daily driver.

Because those cars are 4-5 years old already. I want something with no/low KM's on it with a warranty so I don't have to worry about anything.

GITRDUN
11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
If they're garbage, what are some other suggestions for around that price range (under 20K) that aren't POS's?

Honda Civic DX-G can be had for 20K (after the $1000 Honda-ECO rebate) with A/C, power everything, and (imo) is a lot more fun to drive. You also get a truely brand new car, whereas the City Golf's & Jetta's are previous-generation vehicles. Oh and industry-leading resale value with low financing/leasing rates on remaining 07 inventory.

It was a no brainer-decision for me when the time came a few months ago to get an economical daily-driver. I got the EX model and spent $3,500 more but wanted the rims and sunroof and steering wheel stereo/cruise controls. I'm certainly happy with my purchase!

If you have any questions about Civics, PM me and I'll be glad to answer them! I can also recommend an awesome salesperson at a local dealership from whom a friend of mine and I have bought our cars from!