PDA

View Full Version : Counteroffering...

Super_Geo
11-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Hey guys, I've never made a counter offer before... how is it usually done?

Email? Snail mail? Fax? Phone call? A voicemail saying 'Ha guys I want 5k more or kiss my As'?

topmade
11-02-2007, 07:27 AM
I would assume this is for a house? if so usually same way you got the offer. So fax = fax back, email = email back. Unless there are time restrictions call them but it's better to fax or email so it's on documented paper.

Super_Geo
11-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Ah shit, I can't believe I didn't write this down... it's for a job.

Scenario: Currently employed, other company trying to get me to jump ship, they made an offer, I want to counter for a bit more.

KLCC
11-02-2007, 07:30 AM
I believe it is different between companies. My employer require us to have a discussion with our immediate manager and HR department in regards to this prior to anything else.

However, if you feel the sudden urge to say "gotta pay more to stay", then I guess you can go through email or voicemail.

:dunno:

Super_Geo
11-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Ok I'm a fuckin noob.. haha 2 tries and I can't get a simple question out clearly :nut:

The company trying to recruit me has made me an offer, I am interested in switching to the new company, I would like to make a counteroffer on the new company's offer. I do not plan on asking my current employer for a new offer.

topmade
11-02-2007, 07:37 AM
^^ he's talking about another company trying to hire him, not his current company.

haha ok it's for a job. A professional letter or email would do the trick. Or again if there are time restrictions call and talk to them. I personally like emails or letters better because it gives you a bit more time to think about what you are saying and you can have solid arguments to backup your request. But on the phone you may get tounge tied sometimes and can't find the right words, well for me anyways maybe not you.

Good luck.

Edit: I'm the noob because this is in the careers section :nut:

Aleks
11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Ok I'm a fuckin noob.. haha 2 tries and I can't get a simple question out clearly :nut:

The company trying to recruit me has made me an offer, I am interested in switching to the new company, I would like to make a counteroffer on the new company's offer. I do not plan on asking my current employer for a new offer.

I was in the same boat as you 18 mts ago. I phoned the new manager and said I am interested but to make the move worth while I would need more in terms of salary etc. Told him I would be stranding some pension funds (not vested yet, same with shares, etc) I asked for XX ammount more. He said he'd talk to HR and get back to me. 1hr later he phoned me back and agreed. Come to think of it I probably could have asked for more. :dunno:

A790
11-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Reply the same way that they offered to you and justify your reasoning for wanting more money. I'm sure it will work out fine.

Good luck.

Crymson
11-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Definately ask for what you're walking away from as a signing bonus. They know you're leaving unvested options behind.

As for actually salary negotiations, you just have to let them know what you're looking for. It definately helps to have backup. I *think* from your previous posts etc. etc. that you're an O&G engineer, so get APEGGA's salary surveys and be prepared to justify what level you're at.

Euro838
11-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Just call them up and tell them that your price for leaving/jumping ship is $xxxxxxxxxx and tell them why. But hopefully you're considering it other than the money factor. I'm sure if you're good, they'll give you what you deserve anyways.

msommers
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
If it were me, I'd go over and talk to the person offering you a job. List reasons why you feel you're worth more, saying 'I need an extra 10k/year or I'm not budging' isn't very convincing no matter how skilled you may be.

Another thing that you want to consider is: will the work environment and/or job description be better, worse or the same? O&G WILL take it's toll you on, it's better to be with a good company that will treat you right than one that pays 5k more a year.

My .02

EDIT: My typing was horrible

mekeni
11-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Another thing that you want to consider is: willi the work environment and/or job description be better, worse or the same? O&G WILL take it's toll you on, it's better to be with a good company that will treat you right than one that pays 5k more a year.

My .02

:werd:

Best thing to do is meet the guy in person. It won't take that much time. You just have to have the valid reason why they should give you this much. Good luck.

P.S. If it's a recruitment agency, you can just fax or call the guy.

SilverGS
11-02-2007, 11:23 AM
If you can I agree on meeting them in person. If not a phone call should suffice since they already made you an offer.

There is always a cost to you moving from one company to another so just go over what those are and say you would need whatever amount you want to make it worthwhile for you to go over to that company.

Extra week vacation, more money, parking spot.. whatever. Depends on how bad you think they want you.

If you are FT with a company now you are giving up the time you were there toward getting more vacation time, more benifits, pension, stock options so you would need xxx dollars as incentive to move over.

Beware though depending on what you ask for you are taking a risk if you really want this other job.

Lex350
11-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Ah shit, I can't believe I didn't write this down... it's for a job.

Scenario: Currently employed, other company trying to get me to jump ship, they made an offer, I want to counter for a bit more.

for ma counter offer you should havce it done up in a letter and then deliver it in person.

Super_Geo
11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I ended up doing... nothing :D

So the whole thing went: guy from new company hears from a 3rd party that I have experience doing just the type of work they're looking for, he then asks for my card and tells me to come in for an interview. I told him 'No thanks, I'm happy where I am, I'm paid well and I'm up to my balls in work.' He calls me the next day and tells me to just come in and check out their office next week and have an informal sit down with their president... they will have an offer ready, etc etc.

So I say fuck it, and I end up going in, and really liked what I saw. The offer was pretty good too... it was 10% higher than what I'm currently getting. But it's farther from where I live. I'm currently 5 blocks away from work in the DT core, and I like the fact that all of my friends and industry contacts are within a 5 block radius. I'd have to get a car for this new job.

So I didn't reply to their offer for a day and a half, and I guess they were getting antsy and decided to email me back... with an offer that was 5% higher! I gave my notice on Monday this week and I'm fuckin stoked for this new job now!

Haha oh and it's my grandma's 80th on Nov21st so I'm going to fly down to LA for it... and seeing as how I can't walk to work anymore I've decided that while I"m down there I'm going to buy either a 2004 330ci or a 2006 IS350.... you know... cause, um... I need to get to work :D

HIDStop
11-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I ended up doing... nothing :D

So the whole thing went: guy from new company hears from a 3rd party that I have experience doing just the type of work they're looking for, he then asks for my card and tells me to come in for an interview. I told him 'No thanks, I'm happy where I am, I'm paid well and I'm up to my balls in work.' He calls me the next day and tells me to just come in and check out their office next week and have an informal sit down with their president... they will have an offer ready, etc etc.

So I say fuck it, and I end up going in, and really liked what I saw. The offer was pretty good too... it was 10% higher than what I'm currently getting. But it's farther from where I live. I'm currently 5 blocks away from work in the DT core, and I like the fact that all of my friends and industry contacts are within a 5 block radius. I'd have to get a car for this new job.

So I didn't reply to their offer for a day and a half, and I guess they were getting antsy and decided to email me back... with an offer that was 5% higher! I gave my notice on Monday this week and I'm fuckin stoked for this new job now!

Haha oh and it's my grandma's 80th on Nov21st so I'm going to fly down to LA for it... and seeing as how I can't walk to work anymore I've decided that while I"m down there I'm going to buy either a 2004 330ci or a 2006 IS350.... you know... cause, um... I need to get to work :D

That's awesome :thumbsup: Congrats!

gpomp
11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
ha guys, good luck with the new job.