PDA

View Full Version : $115 ticket... very stupid

variable_x
07-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Just got a ticket for having an enlarged exhaust outlet on my car. It's $115!!!! What's up with that? Anyway I can fight it?

finboy
07-13-2003, 07:38 PM
cut off the tip and pay the ticket

Focus
07-13-2003, 08:12 PM
how would that warrent a $115 ticket?? damn!! :dunno:

Khyron
07-13-2003, 08:37 PM
I say fight it if you can - claim your old exhaust was damaged (which is true, because stock is restrictive) and this is your replacement. There's a law about forcing people to buy OEM, maybe that will help get out of this one. I'm all for noise bylaws but this cosmetic one makes my blood boil (and I have stock pipes).

Of course if you have a giant noisy grapefruit shooter, yer doomed.

Khyron

THREE40SEVEN
07-14-2003, 01:45 PM
A friend of mine fought 2 tip tickets an won... He did it by taking pictures of stock cars with larger tips than what he had.. One of those "street edition" civic tips would be perfect.. He had no problem at all fighting it.
It will depend on how large your tip is.
Good luck.

AquamosH
07-14-2003, 02:26 PM
This same thing happened to someone else on another thread. Here's the link to it:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19352

rage2
07-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately, as dumb as the law regarding enlarged exhaust opening is, it's still the law.

Unless the cop made a mistake (ie your stock exhaust IS the same size), you're SOL. You basically have to prove to the prosecutor that your tip that you got ticketed for is same or smaller than stock, otherwise they won't let you off and you'll have to pay the fine.

I just got one too, well my dad did in my car. I got one of those Brospeed tips on the 944.

Boostn
07-14-2003, 05:02 PM
That's total b.s., I could see getting ticketed for noise pollution due to an insanely loud exhaust system, but for an aftermarket exhaust with larger tips? Gimme a break. When the hell was this law introduced anyway? I never see bikers with Harleys pulled over even though I can hear them from 10 blocks away and they've got big assed chromed exhaust tips too. Nothing against Harleys but it's just the concept that irks me.

Johnny@CustomAuto
07-14-2003, 05:05 PM
I beileve that law has been around since 1981.

Boostn
07-14-2003, 05:13 PM
Oh just remembered, on the topic of ridiculous tickets. About a month ago I was detained at a checkstop late that night. The cop mentioned to me that I'd better switch off my stock fog lamps otherwise he could give me a $75 ticket. He let me off with a warning but his statement surprised me. Not sure if he was giving me a hard time or if there's such an obscure law? :dunno:

Khyron
07-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Why would you have your fog lights on if there's no fog?

Khyron

Boostn
07-15-2003, 12:06 AM
I like the extra illuminatation that fog lamps give you esp in a pitch black alley or side street. For safety reasons it never hurts to have some extra light since its not bothering anyone. Although it'd be a different story if they were extremely bright and started annoying ppl. Besides everyone seems to run their fogs nowadays.

HK2NR
07-15-2003, 12:51 AM
does anyone know the diameter or radius of the tips on those street edition civics?

Hakkola
07-15-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Boostn
Besides everyone seems to run their fogs nowadays.

:werd:

There's one part on deerfoot near mckenzie northbound where there's so little light i always turn them on and just leave 'em on, lots of places are really poorly lit.

RiceCake
07-15-2003, 01:09 AM
Hmm... there goes the thoughts of a Nismo exhaust...

I usally have my fogs on... damn didn't know they can tax you for that too now! :(

^SkylinE^
07-15-2003, 02:39 AM
This is a stupid question but if you were to turbo a civic is there any laws about being able to have a bigger exhust because it makes the turbo more efficient??? Its there any techinical loop holes that allow you to enlarge your exhust and not break the law???

B17a
07-15-2003, 07:07 AM
That's total b.s., I could see getting ticketed for noise pollution due to an insanely loud exhaust system, but for an aftermarket exhaust with larger tips?

Unfortunately, aftermarket exhaust and noise pollution usually go hand in hand.

mad_psyentist
07-15-2003, 09:27 AM
I sorta half-and-half agree with the law. Those overly huge tips are not only an eyesore, but they're damn loud and obnoxious. Generally whoever puts those exhausts/tips on either doesn't tune the engine correctly (so their car ends up sounding like a lawnmower in a tin can) or just screws a tip on the end of the exhaust cuz they think it looks cool. Not that I think the law should be so opressive to hit people for cosmetic things, but the law SHOULD hit people for being general nuisances. If the car's loud and ridiculous, get a ticket. If it's not, leave 'em alone.

sexualbanana
07-15-2003, 09:33 AM
I never see bikers with Harleys pulled over even though I can hear them from 10 blocks away and they've got big assed chromed exhaust tips too. Nothing against Harleys but it's just the concept that irks me.

That's because it's stock.

BigMass
07-15-2003, 09:47 AM
That's because it's stock

that really should not make an once of difference. Every personal vehicle should be treated equally. When i get awaken in the middle of the night by a loud vehicle i could care less if it's a harley or a civic. That's a pretty fucked up double standard.

mad_psyentist
07-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

That's because it's stock.

Yeah, that's the crap of it all. I hate Harleys, they're so damn loud, I can't imagine why the riders don't go deaf from the sound. But still, the sound bylaw would have to apply to them too. Right? Who cares if it's stock, if it's loud enough that you have to yell over it, why aren't they being dinged, stock or not? If Ford made a 'Stang that made that much noise, no way in hell would Calgary let it be street legal, so why's it different for bikes? :dunno:

dj_honda
07-16-2003, 12:08 AM
those grand am and gtps, their exhause it like a 2.25 inch pipe that enlarges to like a 5 inch by 2 inch rectangle....and its stock.

i think that would be a good one to use to fight the ticket. just go to a chevy dealership and take some pics.
edit:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/334000-334999/334541_2_full.jpg

there is a pic....not a good one, but the exhaust is definitely enlarged

rice_eater
07-16-2003, 08:43 AM
why dont you get a dual exhaust instead of one huge 10" tip! I'm not saying everyone does this coz they dont but every once in a while i see someone with a manhole for an exhaust and those people should be ticketed just for being fags...but really having two smaller tips will give you pretty much the same flow as one huge one...

Slow5Oh
07-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by variable_x
Just got a ticket for having an enlarged exhaust outlet on my car. It's $115!!!! What's up with that? Anyway I can fight it?

Do you have a pic of your "enlarged exhaust" so we can judge? Maybe you deserved a ticket.

;)

GTS Jeff
07-17-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
Why would you have your fog lights on if there's no fog?

Khyron some ppl have driving lights that are used to improve visibility under normal conditions.

Abom
07-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Oh just remembered, on the topic of ridiculous tickets. About a month ago I was detained at a checkstop late that night. The cop mentioned to me that I'd better switch off my stock fog lamps otherwise he could give me a $75 ticket. He let me off with a warning but his statement surprised me. Not sure if he was giving me a hard time or if there's such an obscure law? :dunno:

Driving with fog lights on when there is no fog is illegal (in every other province in Canada I've lived in anyways, don't see Alberta being any different). The reason? Fog lights are generally super bright and are slightly angled upwards from the gound so they don't reflect off the fog and blind you. They were made for use in foggy conditions, not for anything else. Whether anyone agrees with it or not, it's still illegal to have them on in non-foggy conditions.

On a side note, if you would like brighter lights, swap out your headlights and get a set of PIAA Hyper-White bulbs. I have them, and they make a LOT more light than any other bulb I've ever seen (excluding real H.I.D. systems of course). Downside, they cost $120, but they are worth it :thumbsup:

Seanith
07-17-2003, 11:23 PM
sounds like one of these days i should be getting an exhaust ticket. 115mm bitches and you can't hear it at idle! :D