PDA

View Full Version : Honda Canada responds to US/CAD price difference

Pages : [1] 2

yellowsnow
11-04-2007, 09:10 PM

riced
11-04-2007, 09:18 PM
so they just lowered the rates, but not the prices?

isn't the price what a lot of people are complaining about?
that's kinda crappy still

yellowsnow
11-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Well they did two things. You can either take advantage of the new low rates, or you can use your own financing and take advantage of a cash rebate.

People buying from the states have to use their own financing anyway, so this program is to take away the need to buy out of country.

riced
11-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I got a question...

regarding an s2000 for example.. in Canada, we'd expect to pay upwards of $50,000.. lets say $55,000.
In the states, they'd look to pay upwards of $30,000.. lets say $35,000.
which is approx. ~$20,000 difference.

with the low rates or the advantage of cash rebates, can one expect to gain a rebate that can match that difference?
$5000 is similar to the rebates given to those purchasing a hybrid vehicle, is it not?

You gave prices/rates for ridgelines, pilots and odyssey.. would you be able to break it down for a car like the S2000?

yellowsnow
11-04-2007, 09:39 PM

88CRX
11-04-2007, 10:51 PM
What about the new si coupe?

stefan.bounket
11-04-2007, 11:24 PM
one COULD call or go into honda to find all this out too....

95EagleAWD
11-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Pity they don't make the NSX anymore.... 89K down there, 144K up here.

That would be worth seeing why there's such a difference, when there's no difference at all between the cars.

More bullshit from car manufacturers. Drop the fucking prices, don't give me good financing, I don't give a shit.

rc2002
11-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Any credible sources on this?

Lower finance/lease rates are an even bigger cop out than BMW and Porsche. At least they lowered prices. So far, I think Subaru comes out on top on this whole cdn/us pricing issue.

Sorath
11-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

yellowsnow
11-04-2007, 11:46 PM
yo sorath, you work new or used?

bobby_lu
11-04-2007, 11:50 PM
If its only on the '07's as someone said then its just under year-end clearout sales tactic...

bignerd
11-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Please PM me some prices on AWD Elements. Thx I know they are running about 22K down in the States.

yellowsnow
11-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Any credible sources on this?

Lower finance/lease rates are an even bigger cop out than BMW and Porsche. At least they lowered prices. So far, I think Subaru comes out on top on this whole cdn/us pricing issue.

i dunno why you think lowering interest rates is a cop out... for a lot of people who finance/lease for 5 years they save thousands of dollars.

Xtrema
11-04-2007, 11:53 PM
One question:

Does the rate apply to ALL 08 models? Including Accord and Si?

If not, it's just another attempt to disguise a year end clearance (and a clearance of slow moving gas guzzlerss) as parity pricing.

yellowsnow
11-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
If its only on the '07's as someone said then its just under year-end clearout sales tactic...

nope, this program i'm talking about is on the 2008 models as well.

Xtrema
11-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow

i dunno why you think lowering interest rates is a cop out... for a lot of people who finance/lease for 5 years they save thousands of dollars.

It is a cop out when it does not apply to all models on the lot.

Only models that need a push.

Even tho, if this discount goes toward 08 Oddys, Ridgeline and Pilot, it's a great saving and it ends @ end of this month.

Well if Honda's website has the right rate (which it does for the 3 mentioned above) for 08:

Civic = 3.9%
Si = 4.9%
Accord - 4.9%
CRV = 1.9%
Element = 0.9%
Fit = 3.9%

Then you look at the sales figure, YTD 07/06

Fit = +98%
Accord = +9.7%
Civic = +1.8%
Oddy = -4.2%
Ridgeline = -12.4%
Pilot = -20.9%
Element = -33.9%

Then you know this is really not about the exchange rate at all. So stop selling it as one.

If I work Honda PR, I would suggest $2K - $5K worth of free dealer installed accessories on ALL models, depending on models. A) Won't hurt resale. B) Give customer illusion of saving. C) cost almost nothing since dealer installed accessories has 100%+ markups.

Sorath
11-05-2007, 12:04 AM
i work preowned

Sorath
11-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It is a cop out when it does not apply to all models on the lot.

Only models that need a push.

Even tho, if this discount goes toward 08 Oddys, Ridgeline and Pilot, it's a great saving and it ends @ end of this month.

Well if Honda's website has the right rate (which it does for the 3 mentioned above) for 08:

Civic = 3.9%
Si = 4.9%
Accord - 4.9%
CRV = 1.9%
Element = 0.9%
Fit = 3.9%

Then you look at the sales figure, YTD 07/06

Fit = +98%
Accord = +9.7%
Civic = +1.8%
Oddy = -4.2%
Ridgeline = -12.4%
Pilot = -20.9%
Element = -33.9%

Then you know this is really not about the exchange rate at all. So stop selling it as one.

with the market for cars in canada getting more and more competitive vs cars in the states, honda canada is doing alot bit by bit, if u compare it to the pricing/rates to last month or the month before u`ll know that its a big difference, the next few months is gonna be even more competitive as the dollar grows more

yellowsnow
11-05-2007, 12:19 AM

Dude, I'm trying to tell people that they can save money on hondas right now. that's all... i'm not shoving numbers down people's throats, if people are looking to buy a honda, i'm letting them know that there is a really good deal going on right now.

and why do you think the sales figures were low for 06/07? it's because of the USD/CAD parity. So yes this is due to the strong CAD dollar right now

yellowsnow
11-05-2007, 12:33 AM

D'z Nutz
11-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
if anyone would like more information they can pm me, i have available financing and i work at t&t honda

Okay I will tell people all the cash rebate offers right now. Financing is a lot more info, so if you want that information pm me.

Why don't you guys just share the information with everyone? Sounds like you guys are trying to make sales, and last time I checked, neither of you are sponsors.

Sorath
11-05-2007, 12:48 AM
im not trying to make sales, im just backing up yellowsnows post. we get enough traffic as it is. last thing we need is a whole lot more people online coming in and trying to lowball us cause to them they feel they are getting ripped off

yellowsnow
11-05-2007, 12:50 AM
well the only reason i'm not putting up financing/lease info is because it's on the honda webpage... and is a lot to type out lol.

Xtrema
11-05-2007, 01:26 AM
Okay I will tell people all the cash rebate offers right now. Financing is a lot more info, so if you want that information pm me.

<removed by request>

I don't BS people, I've given you all the max cash rebates offered by Honda Canada.

These cash rebates are only good if you don't use Honda's subvented interest rates. If you want interest rates for certain cars/suvs, pm me and i'll be happy to give them to you

That's nice, especially on 08 Accords. Good deals.

kaput
11-05-2007, 09:04 AM

nj2Type-S
11-05-2007, 09:07 AM
ygpm, yellowsnow

sputnik
11-05-2007, 09:13 AM

***EDIT APPARENTLY THE REBATES WERENT SUPPOSED TO BE PUBLIC***

I don't BS people, I've given you all the max cash rebates offered by Honda Canada.

These cash rebates are only good if you don't use Honda's subvented interest rates. If you want interest rates for certain cars/suvs, pm me and i'll be happy to give them to you

Doesn't even come close to US pricing.

This "deal" is a joke.

Xtrema
11-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

This &quot;deal&quot; is a joke.

It's 5-7% on low margin models and up to 10% on higher margin ones.

It's not bad especially if you can work in some bargaining before these manufacturing discounts.

You don't need parity. You just need to close the gap to make people think twice before heading south.

As long as this is not time limited, :thumbsup: for Honda.

rc2002
11-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by kaput

What does Subaru do differently?

They actually LOWERED prices on their cars regardless of payment method. So you win on both sides - pricing and financing/leasing.

Honda doesn't give rebates for financing/leasing so you can either get a cheaper car OR you can get a better financing/leasing rate. Not both.

It's a moot point though since the cars in the US are still WAY better deals.

88CRX
11-05-2007, 09:32 AM
One question:

Does the rate apply to ALL 08 models? Including Accord and Si?

If not, it's just another attempt to disguise a year end clearance (and a clearance of slow moving gas guzzlerss) as parity pricing.
:werd:

This &quot;deal&quot; is a joke.

Sounds like a lame attempt to trick people into thinking Honda Canada gives a shit about the strong Canadian dollar... when really they run these so called "deals" at year end every damn year.

4doorj
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
wow$9000 cash rebate on s2000
thats a huge rebate
good to see honda is doing something :thumbsup:

too bad i just bought my honda in may... i should of waited :thumbsdow

Mr_ET
11-05-2007, 10:27 AM
So because the fit MT sells well in Canada it gets no cash deal rebate....

This "deal" feels exactly like the BMW "deal".

It feels like car manufacturers are just saying here let's throw something at these customers to "show" them we are willing to lower prices while the dollar is high but we don't expect this to last so let's not spend a boatload of money making "real" changes and lowering prices for "real".

I'm rather unimpressed by all this. If the fit was even like 1k-1.5k less I'd be buying one tonight right now.

But the 2008 models don't even have the 1k off from the government anymore because the gov never paid honda for the 2007's....

I was told by a salesman at T&T that that 1k off was coming back and I told him to give me a call but looks like November rolled around and the rates stayed the same and the rebate isn't there.

Would it even be worth getting a Fit in the states? I hear the difference in price would take away the advantage once it's all said and done.

Sorath
11-05-2007, 10:45 AM
lol. on a fit, if u really wanted to buy from the states, congrats on saving 1000 bux at the most, and welcome to no warranty. and besides i dont think the 08 fits are admissible

or any 08 honda for that matter other than the s2000

Xtrema
11-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
So because the fit MT sells well in Canada it gets no cash deal rebate....

This &quot;deal&quot; feels exactly like the BMW &quot;deal&quot;.

No, BMW only give you discount on 07 while Honda give you discount on some 08.

Only Fit Auto can be discounted because it only a bit more margin to take the hit. Being made in Japan, they probably loses $$ for every Fit they sell in US. And it's such a cheap car that importing doesn't make sense.

IMO, importing only make sense for cars $30K+ and on. Otherwise the saving doesn't justify the expense and time.

The fact that Honda is willing to discount 08 models $30K and under is a very good effort. Yes, the rate could be better but the cash rebate is pretty good if you have the cash.

Kremlin
11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
You'd still have to be dense to buy an S2000 in Canada.. Going rate for an S2k brand new here is $29500 USD = $27500 CAD. Even with a $9000 rebate, it's still close to the cost of a Civic Si cheaper.

Yeah yeah I know dealers aren't supposed to sell brand new cars for export, but they do it constantly.

s2k_boi
11-05-2007, 01:20 PM
So does anyone know if Acura is getting similar deals since financing is provided thru Honda Canada as well...

Secondly, I dont' think subaru made a huge decrease in price right? Is the pricing online reflected already?

sputnik
11-05-2007, 01:30 PM

It's 5-7% on low margin models and up to 10% on higher margin ones.

It's not bad especially if you can work in some bargaining before these manufacturing discounts.

You don't need parity. You just need to close the gap to make people think twice before heading south.

As long as this is not time limited, :thumbsup: for Honda.

There is still a $7-10k spread between Accord models between the US and Canada.

A $2000 cash rebate OR lower financing rates is hardly a compromise.

The Canadian dollar will continue to climb and the difference will keep getting bigger.

kerry
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
HEY
You fuckers aren't sponsors... they're right.

+1 for Ban anybody? lol

403Gemini
11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
get me into a civic si coupe for $400 a month or less and we're on :thumbsup: lol

HondaRice
11-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda canada has lowered their finance/lease rates for many of their cars/SUVs a few days ago. Also they have introduced for the first time, a cash discount if you decide not to use Honda's financing and use a bank rate!

New Ridgelines, Pilots, Odyssey's have financing/lease rates of 0.9% up to 5 years, and cash rebates up to $5000!

Each car/suv is different, so if you want more info PM me and I can fill you in on whatever model you're looking at.

if you use non Honda Financing ? is there no more money left at honda? or is this a great depression?

Aleks
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
get me into a civic si coupe for $400 a month or less and we're on :thumbsup: lol

36 mnth lease 1720 bux down.

$400/month.

I should be a car salesman.

Kremlin
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Or buy it from the US, have it back in Canada for under $22,000 CAD after all fees, and over 4 years it averages out to $458/mo to buy it. And then you can still sell it for a good chunk of change and get more than half of that back.

403Gemini
11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

36 mnth lease 1720 bux down.

$400/month.

I should be a car salesman.

Done, you get my comission.

Anyway to work it into financing, id rather own at the end lol

QuasarCav
11-05-2007, 07:19 PM

I'll buy one with you. When you check the calculator on Honda.ca is comes up more than that.

403Gemini
11-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

I'll buy one with you. When you check the calculator on Honda.ca is comes up more than that.

Indeed , if i can get a civic si for 400 a month with puttin 2k or less down, i'll do it. even over a 5 year term, i just want something thats going to have lasting reliability and something i can sell when im done if i am bored of it

edit; if a honda salesman is seriously on this website you have 2 waiting sales right now...

QuasarCav
11-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I live close to T&T Honda. If there is a black Si on the lot I wouldn't know how to resist.

403Gemini
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
I live close to T&amp;T Honda. If there is a black Si on the lot I wouldn't know how to resist.

me either, that or a blue one :drool:

Kremlin
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Why would you lease from a Canadian dealer when Canada's biggest nationwide sale ever is on right now? (e.g. buy from the US). Hell, get financing, buy the car from the US, import it, drive it for a year, and sell it for what you paid.

Si coupes are going for under $20k USD locally. After exchange rate and import costs it lands at just around $20k CAD. After delivery charges and all that junk, Calgary dealers will be charging what..? $28k? $29k? Thinking in monthly payments rather than net dollars is a fast way to throw a lot of money down the toilet.

If you REALLY want to think in monthly payments, about 8 months ago I had an unsecured line of credit with TD Canada Trust up to $25k that had a 4.5% interest rate. If you were really stupid about getting a low monthly payment you could take this loan out, buy the car from the US with it, pay the minimum payments of $100-something per month, sell the car after a year and pay the entire loan off.

Aleks
11-05-2007, 08:13 PM

Indeed , if i can get a civic si for 400 a month with puttin 2k or less down, i'll do it. even over a 5 year term, i just want something thats going to have lasting reliability and something i can sell when im done if i am bored of it

edit; if a honda salesman is seriously on this website you have 2 waiting sales right now...

I am down for a white 2008 4 DR Si.

24K OTD Cash purchase.

Mr_ET
11-05-2007, 08:20 PM
In Canada?

Aleks
11-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
In Canada?

Ya, I would buy one here this month for 24K CAD all in. That was my offer, I am sure they'd sell a few at this price ;)

Sorath
11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Kremlin
Why would you lease from a Canadian dealer when Canada's biggest nationwide sale ever is on right now? (e.g. buy from the US). Hell, get financing, buy the car from the US, import it, drive it for a year, and sell it for what you paid.

Si coupes are going for under $20k USD locally. After exchange rate and import costs it lands at just around $20k CAD. After delivery charges and all that junk, Calgary dealers will be charging what..? $28k? $29k? Thinking in monthly payments rather than net dollars is a fast way to throw a lot of money down the toilet.

If you REALLY want to think in monthly payments, about 8 months ago I had an unsecured line of credit with TD Canada Trust up to $25k that had a 4.5% interest rate. If you were really stupid about getting a low monthly payment you could take this loan out, buy the car from the US with it, pay the minimum payments of $100-something per month, sell the car after a year and pay the entire loan off.

hey dave just fyi, 08 si's are inadmissable for canada.
as for the 3 of u. u all have pm's

Z_Fan
11-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Here's the obvious problem with Honda's crappy rebate program.

Accords 6cyl - $4000

Canadian price, fully loaded. (T&T Honda Online)
2 Door V6 Navi 5AT (or 6MT) $38,290.00
Conversion @ 1.00CDN=1.00CDN = $38,290.00

US price, fully loaded.
2 Door V6 Navi 5AT (or 6MT) $30,510.00
Conversion @ 1.00US=1.07CDN = $28,514.01

Difference = $9,776.00 CDN

SO, better double that rebate.

riced
11-05-2007, 09:01 PM
have the Si sedans come to Canada already? I've been seeing them on 8thgen forums, and I'm in love with Taffeta White Sedans

Sorath
11-05-2007, 09:26 PM
they have been out for almost 2 months already

Donmega
11-05-2007, 11:30 PM

They actually LOWERED prices on their cars regardless of payment method. So you win on both sides - pricing and financing/leasing.

Honda doesn't give rebates for financing/leasing so you can either get a cheaper car OR you can get a better financing/leasing rate. Not both.

It's a moot point though since the cars in the US are still WAY better deals.

:werd: :werd: Just another "attempt" at trying to look like their doing something. I went down to T&T and straight up asked what they can do for me if I'm buying 3 cars, all brand new. Absolutely nothing because apparently their at "cost". I actually have 3 people in my family looking to buy 3 cars.

Until its at the same level as the US, this is just a poor attempt.

ricoRA
11-06-2007, 09:30 AM
we get enough traffic as it is. last thing we need is a whole lot more people online coming in and trying to lowball us cause to them they feel they are getting ripped off
Well if the majority of ppl FEEL they are getting ripped off they probably are.

and why do you think the sales figures were low for 06/07? it's because of the USD/CAD parity. So yes this is due to the strong CAD dollar right now
I guess all that traffic still isn't enough to bring sales up, perhaps you should try and work with more ppl online.

We all know it isn't you whom sets the MSRP, but since you are on the front line - you'll get all the flak. It's not your fault, its the manufactures. Still it nice to see the gap get smaller.

Sorath
11-06-2007, 12:21 PM
so what ur trying to say is if honda canada did bring prices comparable to the states u would buy one instantly?

dont give me that bs that u will buy one exactly ur just another fucking idiot thats jumping on the bandwagon. ur argue for the sake of arguing

they are not getting ripped off, dealerships in canada buy cars at a different price vs the american dealers. and we have to work with people like you that do price shopping. i understand that finding the best price is very essential. so stop giving us all the flak cause i highly doubt u would buy a car even if the prices were even.

4doorj
11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I am down for a white 2008 4 DR Si.

24K OTD Cash purchase.
word
i want a 4 door si white sooooo bad!!!

SilverRex
11-06-2007, 12:38 PM
so no one hear if acura doing the same thing since they are both go under honda finance.

man, looking at a 08 rdx loaded for 37k in US and its near 50k including gst here. 13k difference.

if I cross the border the 7% difference now will cover the differences and all the taxes.

so I save 13k.

I know acura will void warranty but I also hear I can purchase the extended warranty for 7 years which I dont mind doing, i'll still save 11k.

dam. getting tempted now

sputnik
11-06-2007, 12:40 PM
so what ur trying to say is if honda canada did bring prices comparable to the states u would buy one instantly?

dont give me that bs that u will buy one exactly ur just another fucking idiot thats jumping on the bandwagon. ur argue for the sake of arguing

they are not getting ripped off, dealerships in canada buy cars at a different price vs the american dealers. and we have to work with people like you that do price shopping. i understand that finding the best price is very essential. so stop giving us all the flak cause i highly doubt u would buy a car even if the prices were even.

Do you treat all of your customers like that?

I guess you are just an angry man under that salesperson persona. Remind me to continue dealing with Calgary Honda.

I actually have a lease on an Accord coming due in the next year and YES I would consider buying a second one if the prices were closer since my wife and I need a second vehicle.

SilverRex
11-06-2007, 12:51 PM
:eek:

cad is breaking new high again,

man at this rate the car prices between us and them will no longer be 30% it'll be like closer to 50%

ok now that is seriously too big of a freaking gap here.

with 50% difference, the money you save will totally out weight the warranty being void.

your going to see like every car on the road come from the US haha

Sorath
11-06-2007, 01:13 PM

Do you treat all of your customers like that?

I guess you are just an angry man under that salesperson persona. Remind me to continue dealing with Calgary Honda.

I actually have a lease on an Accord coming due in the next year and YES I would consider buying a second one if the prices were closer since my wife and I need a second vehicle.

i dont treat my customers like that. in fact i treat them very nicely. this guy on the other hand is different, and clearly it was directed towards him. u can go ahead and continue dealing with calgary honda. thats ur choice not mine. i used to work there, the guys there are great, cant say the same for the service side. I am just sick and tired of people coming into this thread and saying they would buy if the price was this, was that. when it comes down to everything only 5% are willing to buy. and that my friend is a fact. it is all im stating as an opinion. u have urs, i have mine.

heavyD
11-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't know why you guys worry about warranty so much? In the last 7 years we have gone through 4 new vehicles and only one warranty claim (Steering column SRT-4) between all of them. If you look at the big picture, saving $10K will outweight any warranty claims on the average car by far. Cars are manufactured too well these days for major problems to happen within the first 3 - 5 years.

If you want the car and it's $10K less in the U.S. buy the U.S. car. Warranty these days is overrated.

Mr_ET
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Sorath you're digging yourself a grave here. I can see that you like Honda Canada and your dealership and we can all appreciate that.

Reality is if you compare the canadian car market to the US car market right now we are getting the short end of the stick.

Yes I know we are a much smaller market and yes I know our dollar has only started climbing recently but in this day and age where everything changes so quickly and information is accessible to all instantly consumers are more demanding and businesses have to adapt quicker.

In that sense the car industry in this country is failing miserably (aside from Subaru).

btw I have already spoken to someone at T&T about the Fit and being that I used to sell cars a few years ago I know how it is and don't want to take a sale away from that person. I will most likely be getting a Fit in the next couple of months but I am waiting this out to see if more savings are to come, especially around Christmas.

JRSC00LUDE
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
lol. ..........and welcome to no warranty. and besides i dont think the 08 fits are admissible

or any 08 honda for that matter other than the s2000

Nothing to you personally Sorath so don't take it that way, your post just backs up what I was about to say.

I love how when they're trying to sell you a car they go on and on about how RELIABLE it is (honda/acura at nauseum)but if you bring up importing they try and scare you with the no warranty thing.

You - So basically, you just said your service dept. does nothing but oil changes most of the time because your cars are so REALIABLE? Great warranty but you'll likely never need it....blah, blah, blah.

Honda Salesman - Most reliable cars in Canada!!!

You - But so much cheaper in the U.S. right now, I've been pricing them and....

Car Salesman - WHAT??? You're importing? But you'll have no warranty! you HAVE to factor that into the amount you're actually "saving"!!!! One major repair can negate thousands in savings! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

You - But you just said how relia.....oh forget it. Just never mind.

Like I said, nothing personal just my observation based on buying numerous new vehicles over the years of which most have been honda's. I wouldn't lump me into your 5% stat. unless you really want to get into a pissing contest. ;)

4doorj
11-06-2007, 01:59 PM
the thing with warranty ive noticed...
if someothing huge goes wrong.... the dealership always trys and get out of it saying its ur fault...
like my one friend is motor blew... they wouldnt cover it under warranty

his tranny went.. they woudlnt cover it unless he replaced is clutch which is out of his own pocket...
ive heard it numerous times... dealerships trying to get out of warranty repairs

viff3r
11-06-2007, 02:06 PM
For everyone bitching about how these rebates still don't bring MSRP down to US levels, keep in mind that Honda Canada doesn't want to destroy the resale values of existing models. If they dropped the CDN MSRP of a $50k model to $35k, every existing Canadian owner of that model just lost $15k (on top of regular depreciation). Cars are shitty investments as it is but to take a hit like that, I'd be pissed. My perspective is that by structuring their rebates this way Honda is showing that they are capable of reacting to fluctuating currency rates while still caring about their existing customers. Ya I'm an optimist, big whoop wanna fight about it

Xtrema
11-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
so no one hear if acura doing the same thing since they are both go under honda finance.

0.9% 36 month lease or 48 month finance

5% GST now instead of waiting til 2008

Like I said, no point beating on the salesmen or Honda Canada anymore.

Fact is:

1) Honda in Canada will always cost more the US, it's just by how much.

2) Honda is willing to lower rates and price. As fast as I know, 1st one to do so on their 08 line up.

3) You can't ask for parity overnight. It'll take time. Now and the next 6 months is probably the best time to cross border shop. Once oil price drops, so will the $cdn. With a possible new US President in 08, it's very likely that will happen.

It up to you to judge whether that's enough for you to stop cross-border shopping.

403Gemini
11-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by viff3r
For everyone bitching about how these rebates still don't bring MSRP down to US levels, keep in mind that Honda Canada doesn't want to destroy the resale values of existing models. If they dropped the CDN MSRP of a $50k model to $35k, every existing Canadian owner of that model just lost $15k (on top of regular depreciation). Cars are shitty investments as it is but to take a hit like that, I'd be pissed. My perspective is that by structuring their rebates this way Honda is showing that they are capable of reacting to fluctuating currency rates while still caring about their existing customers. Ya I'm an optimist, big whoop wanna fight about it

everything in life is like the stock market, if i bought a house tommroow and the real estate market crashes guess i have to cut my losses and shrug it off... such is life. Who cares if a 2006-07's resale value drops a couple grand?

ricoRA
11-06-2007, 03:30 PM

dont give me that bs that u will buy one exactly ur just another fucking idiot thats jumping on the bandwagon. ...

Sorry, my intention was not to upset you to the point of name calling.

You are right thought, if honda did bring prices down I still would not go and buy one, (I'm a Mitsu fanboy). My wife on the other hand is looking for a crossover type vehicel.

In addition it is true that I an jumping on the bandwagon, mainly because I just ordered a Lancer EVO X which I will have to finance, hence my attempt to get market prices more in line with what is being offered in the US. (check my posts in EVO X thread).

Again, I'm sorry.

SilverRex
11-06-2007, 03:31 PM
^^^ I agree, people bitch when house prices fall since everyone expects it to go up, but cars? come on, you loose money on them anyways.

cosmok
11-06-2007, 10:41 PM
You'd still have to be dense to buy an S2000 in Canada.. Going rate for an S2k brand new here is $29500 USD = $27500 CAD.

Is that a dealer in Washington? Found the next car :thumbsup:

Toms-SC
11-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Besides for the dealers trying to make a quick sell here is Honda going to be offering rebates on the Honda Fit - Sport? There is still over a $4000 spread between the US & Canada model. :whipped: Can any insiders fill me in?

Xtrema
11-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Besides for the dealers trying to make a quick sell here is Honda going to be offering rebates on the Honda Fit - Sport? There is still over a $4000 spread between the US &amp; Canada model. :whipped: Can any insiders fill me in?

I don't think Fit has any discount since it's imported from Japan with low margin already. The are losing $$$ in US.

Mr_ET
11-23-2007, 12:05 PM
I want the Honda eco rebate back :( or some type of better deal than this just in time for Christmas!

colsankey
11-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Even if the CDN dollar stays stronger than the american dollar, which we pretty much know won't happen long-term, CDN car prices cannot and will not be the same price as they are in the states. Logically and mathematically it makes sense. When you have a customer base that is 10X the size, economies of scale tell you that you are going to be able to price the car lower as you have a much stronger buying power and i'm sure everyone on here older than 5 knows that when you buy in bulk you save more money. Which means you can charge less money. Which is why CDN cars will never be ON PAR with US cars, they may come close but will never be on par. Besides dealerships are just being realistic, the dollar isn't going to be on par for long. It isn't exactly great for our economy to be on par because of the % of exports we sell to the states.

But that's getting away from the topic of honda and how its prices relate to each other. But really who cares cuz I wouldn't buy a Honda if I had money to burn

Mark_Nguyen
11-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Just to throw something out there, i have a friend in Edmonton who works for Wells Fargo and he gets invoices in from Honda all the time. The last one he got was a suggested retail price of a 2008 ACCORD V6. It was around $28,000 canadian.

Hakkola
11-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by colsankey
Even if the CDN dollar stays stronger than the american dollar, which we pretty much know won't happen long-term, CDN car prices cannot and will not be the same price as they are in the states. Logically and mathematically it makes sense. When you have a customer base that is 10X the size, economies of scale tell you that you are going to be able to price the car lower as you have a much stronger buying power and i'm sure everyone on here older than 5 knows that when you buy in bulk you save more money.

Problem with that argument is that the Canadian and American market are pretty much the same. If there are differences in the vehicles they are VERY minor. The prices for a honda are the same in Maine as they are in California, on opposite sides of the U.S. The market in Maine is smaller than the market in Ontario. How can you justify paying 20k more in Ontario for say, an S2k than in Maine, when economies of scale tell you that you should be able to price the car lower as you have much stronger buying power in Ontario.

bobby_lu
11-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Problem with that argument is that the Canadian and American market are pretty much the same. If there are differences in the vehicles they are VERY minor. The prices for a honda are the same in Maine as they are in California, on opposite sides of the U.S. The market in Maine is smaller than the market in Ontario. How can you justify paying 20k more in Ontario for say, an S2k than in Maine, when economies of scale tell you that you should be able to price the car lower as you have much stronger buying power in Ontario.

But its the US as a whole, Maine is not an individual market, the US is. Not that I agree either way or the other, but thats the perspective, as I understand it. If the whole Canadian market can be covered by volume in California alone, then Maine or any other state that is smaller than a Canadian province is irrelevant.

Hakkola
11-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

But its the US as a whole, Maine is not an individual market, the US is. Not that I agree either way or the other, but thats the perspective, as I understand it. If the whole Canadian market can be covered by volume in California alone, then Maine or any other state that is smaller than a Canadian province is irrelevant.

But if the cars are pretty much the same, is it really a different market? Because of the nature of trade between the 2 countries, I would argue that N.A is just one big market. There is no reason for such disparity, especially with things like electronics. There is no reason a camera should cost twice as much up here as it does in the states.

There is no reason for the added cost for a car in Canada vs the U.S. Why should the price jump so drastically just because it passes an imaginary line?

If you think of Maine and California as the same market, then what differs Alberta from California? It is just as easy to ship units from Japan to B.C as it is to ship them to Cali, it is easier to get product from Japan to Alberta than it is to get it to Maine.

You can't differentiate Alberta's, or B.C's, or Ontario's market from Cali if you don't do the same for Maine, or Arkansas, using supply and demand theory.

What really matters is what dealership the car is going to, and the spending power of the local economy, not that of the country.

If the cars were drastically different, I would understand the arguments you guys are making, but for essentially the same car, there shouldn't be any disparity. The difference between a car in canada and the U.Sis so minor, it would be like fitting different options on a car, which shouldn't add to the price so much.

bobby_lu
11-24-2007, 04:41 PM
The pricing difference isnt for the different features (unlike what they tell us haha), its just us getting screwed. Im not disagreeing with you, Im just trying to justify it from an outside perspective.

Oh well, I guess it really doesnt matter what we think, they can continue to charge what they want and eventually make it near impossible to get cars in. Gotta love free trade, open markets and democracy :rolleyes: :nut:

max_boost
11-24-2007, 10:56 PM
You'd still have to be dense to buy an S2000 in Canada.. Going rate for an S2k brand new here is $29500 USD = $27500 CAD. Even with a $9000 rebate, it's still close to the cost of a Civic Si cheaper.

Yeah yeah I know dealers aren't supposed to sell brand new cars for export, but they do it constantly. ORLY? S2000 starts at $34,000. Which dealer is selling for under $30K? I'm also giving serious thought to the 2007 Imola Orange S2K at T&T because of the $9000 rebate.

Eleanor
11-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Max_Boost, if you look on S2Ki.com you'll find some accounts of people claiming <$30,000 for a new one.

sneek
11-24-2007, 11:13 PM
:D Just got an 08 Gen 8 accord today. EX-L V6 :D

It had the biggest rebate. So I got it for about the same as an EX I4. Pretty good if you ask me.

yellowsnow
11-25-2007, 02:07 AM
congrats on the accord! definately take advantage of the rebate before they expire!

Toms-SC
11-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not following. Why would the rebate expire if the dollar is holding on par or more then the US Greenback? Sounds like a bunch of witchcraft to me.

11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't think the dollar will last on par for that much longer.

Sorath
11-25-2007, 11:31 PM
since the riv list clearly states most honda cars are inadmissable. hence why honda would be doing such a drastic measure. not saying that i agree with it, but it makes sense on their part

Eleanor
11-26-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm not following. Why would the rebate expire if the dollar is holding on par or more then the US Greenback? Sounds like a bunch of witchcraft to me.

Because the major car companies are offering incentives like they always do this time of the year and making it seem like it's special cause of the canadian dollar. But really every year they have special pricing at this time.

bigboom
11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by sneek
:D Just got an 08 Gen 8 accord today. EX-L V6 :D

It had the biggest rebate. So I got it for about the same as an EX I4. Pretty good if you ask me.

mind me askiong how much you paid for it? im looking at picking up one of these

Toms-SC
11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Because the major car companies are offering incentives like they always do this time of the year and making it seem like it's special cause of the canadian dollar. But really every year they have special pricing at this time.

Ah, so this is a big scam. Nice marketing on Honda's part.

pinoyboy88
11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Just curious, anyone know if places like JDM Source or JDM Tuner lower their prices too considering the value of the Canadian dollar now is still higher than US dollar??

Aleks
11-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Ah, so this is a big scam. Nice marketing on Honda's part.

Maybe, but also I have never seen a finance/lease rate this low on civics this early in the model year. Si rates have never been lower than what they are now IIRC...

rc2002
11-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

But if the cars are pretty much the same, is it really a different market? Because of the nature of trade between the 2 countries, I would argue that N.A is just one big market. There is no reason for such disparity, especially with things like electronics. There is no reason a camera should cost twice as much up here as it does in the states.

I bet things would be a lot easier if Canada didn't force everything to come out in French as well.

Mr_ET
11-26-2007, 08:19 PM

I bet things would be a lot easier if Canada didn't force everything to come out in French as well.

Richard because it's you I'll let this go :thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
11-26-2007, 08:49 PM

I bet things would be a lot easier if Canada didn't force everything to come out in French as well. Out East, where most Canadians live, French is pretty big.

autosm
11-27-2007, 12:17 AM
So is it worth staying in Canada to get a new honda ?

I have not even looked here. Anyone that purchased recently chime in.

Sorath
11-27-2007, 12:44 AM
depends, i think its cheaper if u go to the states for a ridgeline/pilot/odyssey, however the new incetives are still very tempting. i mean we'd be looking at a 1000-1500 dollars difference if u get from the states only.