PDA

View Full Version : UofC Versus UofA

Spoons
11-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok, for starters, I know this could go in Campus chat, but I know most of that forum is for UofC, and I would get a biased opinion. Also I know some people from UofA still go on here.

My question is, next year for fall 2008 I am applying into engineering. My question is, is the education offered at UofA in terms of engineering much better than UofC. Is their faculty better? Also how are admission averages there? Are they higher there than UofC? Also expense wise, is res pretty cheap, or can a student easily live there without much issues?

I don't want to hear the Calgary is a better city than Edmonton vice versa bullshit. I care purely on the type of Education I will receive. Plus to be honest I was born in Edmonton and I already like it as a city more.

Spoons
11-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I guess it just got moved to Campus chat... I'm doubting many UofA students go in here based on it is alot of UofC Campus chat... oh well :confused:

7thgenvic
11-04-2007, 10:38 PM
go to the east if you want a sweet eng school....

Spoons
11-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
go to the east if you want a sweet eng school....

I'm pretty well set on staying in Alberta... its either UofC or UofA...

Weapon_R
11-04-2007, 11:22 PM
U of A is the better school, but you'll do fine at either.

turbotrip
11-04-2007, 11:26 PM
UofA looks better and isnt as depressing as UofC's engineering department which closely resembles a penitentiary.
UofA is easier (a friend transfered back and forth between the 2 schools twice and his GPA dropped about 0.5 each time for the same amount of work)
UofC has higher GPA requirements for each department

Spoons
11-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
UofA looks better and isnt as depressing as UofC's engineering department which closely resembles a penitentiary.
UofA is easier (a friend transfered back and forth between the 2 schools twice and his GPA dropped about 0.5 each time for the same amount of work)
UofC has higher GPA requirements for each department

UofA is looking alot better then. It's not that the higher GPA requirements are a real issue, but it would be nice if they were a bit lower so I wouldn't have to stress so much over marks. I would also like to move back to my home town and get out of Calgary for a few years.

turbotrip
11-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

UofA is looking alot better then. It's not that the higher GPA requirements are a real issue, but it would be nice if they were a bit lower so I wouldn't have to stress so much over marks. I would also like to move back to my home town and get out of Calgary for a few years.

yea UofA would probably be the best choice in your case, and trust me the lower GPA requirements definitely take some pressure off you (and evey bit of pressure u can take off counts in engg lol)

Spoons
11-05-2007, 12:03 AM
You have any clue what the admission averages are for engg there or transfer GPA's? If not I will give UofA a call soon.

5hift
11-05-2007, 12:31 AM
I believe UofA is harder to get into, but it is a much better school. I've attended UofC, but been on campus at UofA quite a bit as my ex used to go there. UofA has the feel of a bigger American college where at UofC everyone just goes to class and leaves. The faculty seems to be better at UofA, and its rated higher in both Macleans and the Globe and Mail's annual ratings.

Too bad the city sucks though.

Spoons
11-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Well I just looked... Admission average was 80% at UofA, and UofC was 78.something so I mean it isn't that big of a difference at all. I think I might apply for both and still decide, I have lots of time...

Admission requirements are less tedious though than UofC which is nice. A Bachelor of Arts with an Economics major is my second choice, and I don't need a ton of different subjects unlike UofC.

buh_buh
11-05-2007, 02:41 AM
the city isn't that bad if your a student. All the students live in the same area, and its mostly students that live in that area. The campus is better, and so is the area around campus. You don't even have to venture past Whyte if you don't want to. I can probably count on my hands the number of times I left the campus/dt area the 3 years I was there.

Pahnda
11-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Just my opinion, but choose whatever school gives you the best 'whole package'... I think people coming from high school don't realize that professions like engineering are highly regulated by the government and by organizations like APEGGA (and the other provincial organizations). Unless you plan on sticking with your school through to graduate level education then in the end I doubt you'll have a vastly different level of education. Plus you can just switch schools after you figure out what you want out of your grad education also.

Sure in 4th year your technical electives will depend on the professors at the school, so perhaps that's something to look into, but the 'curriculum' is more or less dictated by the professional organizations who in conjunction with the government grant universities the ability to give their degrees out.

I am at U of C, and I don't like to say they're better or worse, it's just a different school to achieve the same thing. I simply picked here because I like Calgary as a city much more than Edmonton and I had to stay in Alberta, haha. It really just depends on the individual to make the most of their education while they're at school though. :thumbsup:

cts
11-05-2007, 11:50 AM
U of C ftfw.

UofC has an awesome mech program.

Gondi Stylez
11-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I went to U of A and I must say it is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better school that the shit hole known as U of C - I was in Pharmacology though. Although a few of my friends are in Eng. and they love it at U of A.

Bottom line U of A >>> U of C :thumbsup:

Perceptionist
11-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
the city isn't that bad if your a student. All the students live in the same area, and its mostly students that live in that area. The campus is better, and so is the area around campus. You don't even have to venture past Whyte if you don't want to. I can probably count on my hands the number of times I left the campus/dt area the 3 years I was there.
This is very true, the whole community around the U of A campus has a much different atmosphere than the U of C. It's a better situation to be in if you're someone that's looking to party and meet other students. It seems like the U of C is kind of isolated in comparison and most of the students don't live within walking distance.
As for engineering, I think they both have good programs. The U of A has a couple of huge new buildings (ETLC and NREF) that I don't think the U of C can compete with at the moment. I wouldn't hold much value in that 0.5 GPA difference that was mentioned. Both have about the same entrance average and both use a similar curve to get final grades, so it doesn't make sense to me that there would be much difference in difficulty.
What you should really look at before deciding is what specialization you're interested in. The U of A offers Mining, Oil Sands, Nano-tech, and Materials specializations that the U of C doesn't. The U of C offers Geomatics and Manufacturing specializations that the U of A doesn't. If you know what you're interested in then you should look at the quality and availability of that specialization at the two schools.

Spoons
11-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah I am really interested now because they offer a Co-Op engineering program where I can work in a related field as well which is really appealing to me. Does U of C offer this?

arian_ma
11-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I heard that UofC has the second best ENGG school in Canada, after UofT. Not sure if that's true or not.
I have been to UofA, and attend the UofC Engg school. Their university is nicer forsure (I mean their campus), I am not sure if I would want to live in a shit hole city like that though. All the blocks surrounding the uni are COVERED with bums on crack. Fuck that shit man. Don't wanna get stabbed walking home from school because my toonies are jingling in my pocket. I remember walking around white one night and it is reaaaaaaal sketchy man. I have never actually been WORRIED to walk in a neighborhood before until I was on White in E-town.

*Edited for clarity

arian_ma
11-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah I am really interested now because they offer a Co-Op engineering program where I can work in a related field as well which is really appealing to me. Does U of C offer this?

Yes, internship program is offered everywhere. I think you'd have much better luck finding a good paying job here rather than Edmonton.

Nav13
11-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Go to uofa, uofc is the biggest shithole ever, I know, I go there. I am not in engg though, however I spent my first year trying to transfer into engg, so I spent alot of time in the engg buildings. Anyways I have two friends who also were in the same boat as me, they ended up going to UofA to do engg, and I went into geophysics instead and stayed at the uofc. They absolutley love it up there and regret even spending a year in uofc. I regret not going up to do geophysics at uofa, but thats for reasons other then the level of education provided. I went up a month ago to visit them, and its true the area surrounding the uni is full of students. I think there are entire streets that are just homes being rented out to students, its a nice place. When it comes to which city is better, that means jack shit, my sister goes to uofs, saskatchewan is probably the most boring place Ive ever been to, but she loves it there, she lives on rez with all her friends and has a blast there. So again the city doesnt mean much, since you will spend most of the time around campus anyways. If you live on rez for the first years you will meet a whole bunch of people and make tons of new friends, and wont really care how crappy the city is, because being with your friends will matter more. Anyways that my take on it. Also one thing to keep in mind is the UofA gets alot more funding from the provincial government then UofC, UofA is ranked rather well compared to all other cities in Canada, where as UofC is consistently at the bottom, all though the engg program should be going up a bit with the huge schulich funding donation, but I dont think it will catch up to UofA in the time you will be doing your studies.

Idratherbsidewayz
11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I heard that UofC has the second best ENGG school in Canada, after UofT.

I really don't think so. And it also depends what kind of Engineering.

Like someone said earlier, for an undergrad Eng degree it really doesn't matter where you go. Some schools are MUCH better in certain respects though.

Between the two, I would pick U of A. When I was applying I really wanted to go (great program, nice campus) but I didn't get in.

Don't leave Ontario out of the picture, the schools here are great too (Im at McMaster Matls Eng in Hamilton).

chris
11-05-2007, 06:38 PM

Yes, internship program is offered everywhere. I think you'd have much better luck finding a good paying job here rather than Edmonton.

you can take your internship in either city. U of A has one 4 month work term and one 8 month work term where as the u of c has a 12 month work term

It's debatable, but waterloo probably has the best and hardest engg program in the country. All schools are pretty much the same education wise, as long as it's a university go with the school you're going to be happy with.

RX_EVOLV
11-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I went to UA and going to UC now, and IMO

UA >>>>>>>>>>> UC

They also have alot of different Res depending on your budget.
I lived in Lister hall Henday for ~ $380/month, then Schaffer for ~$430/month, then Newton Bacherlor for ~$640/month to Newton1 bedrrom... probably more expensive now, but definitly managable as a student

lil*tymer
11-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Wrong, the companies that hire you dont care what city you live in, you can go to u of a and get hired to work in calgary for your term.

hell you can be hired to work out in the field and make even more than either city.

Perceptionist
11-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I heard that UofC has the second best ENGG school in Canada, after UofT. Not sure if that's true or not.
I have been to UofA, and attend the UofC Engg school. Their university is nicer forsure (I mean their campus), I am not sure if I would want to live in a shit hole city like that though. All the blocks surrounding the uni are COVERED with bums on crack. Fuck that shit man. Don't wanna get stabbed walking home from school because my toonies are jingling in my pocket. I remember walking around white one night and it is reaaaaaaal sketchy man. I have never actually been WORRIED to walk in a neighborhood before until I was on White in E-town.

*Edited for clarity
That's funny because I live just off of Whyte Ave, walk to school every day, and go out drinking at the bars all the time and I've had no problems. It's my third year up here doing this and I usually prefer to walk home after a night of drinking on Whyte instead of taking a cab.
I'll take the risk of walking to school with toonies jingling in my pocket over having to deal with the overcrowded C-train on a daily basis in Calgary.

DelSoln
11-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Perceptionist

That's funny because I live just off of Whyte Ave, walk to school every day, and go out drinking at the bars all the time and I've had no problems.

:werd:
I've never heard of a single case where a student was stabbed while walking home from school.

Worried to walk on Whyte. :rofl: :rofl:

gongSHOW
11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
U of A FTW
Way nicer campus and from what I hear it has a lot lower GPA requirements for second year e.g. Chem EngG is 2.0 and 2.3 for Co-op whereas Chem EngG at U of C is 3 or something...

chris
11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by gongSHOW
U of A FTW
Way nicer campus and from what I hear it has a lot lower GPA requirements for second year e.g. Chem EngG is 2.0 and 2.3 for Co-op whereas Chem EngG at U of C is 3 or something...

holy shit!!! Actually?? 2.0 for chem is rediculous

arian_ma
11-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by lil*tymer

Wrong, the companies that hire you dont care what city you live in, you can go to u of a and get hired to work in calgary for your term.

hell you can be hired to work out in the field and make even more than either city.

I never said they'd prefer people who go to UofC over people who go to UofA, I just said it would be easier to find a better engg job here in Calgary. I personally wouldn't want to move all my shit over to Edmonton, get educated for 2-3 years, move all my shit back here for an internship, then move BACK to Edmonton again to finish year 4, and BACK HERE for actual work.

That's funny because I live just off of Whyte Ave, walk to school every day, and go out drinking at the bars all the time and I've had no problems. It's my third year up here doing this and I usually prefer to walk home after a night of drinking on Whyte instead of taking a cab.
I'll take the risk of walking to school with toonies jingling in my pocket over having to deal with the overcrowded C-train on a daily basis in Calgary.

Yeah, I am sure people don't just walk around stabbing each other, I was just saying that from my general experience, I was actually scared to walk alone on White or Whyte or however you spell it. I got yelled at a couple of times by bums...:cry:
Anyways, I will say this though, the bar experience in Edmonton is better than Calgary I thought.

GTS Jeff
11-06-2007, 12:06 AM
I am not sure if I would want to live in a shit hole city like that though. All the blocks surrounding the uni are COVERED with bums on crack. Fuck that shit man. Don't wanna get stabbed walking home from school because my toonies are jingling in my pocket. I remember walking around white one night and it is reaaaaaaal sketchy man. I have never actually been WORRIED to walk in a neighborhood before until I was on White in E-town.

*Edited for clarity LOL I'm sorry, but that's gotta be the dumbest shit I've read in awhile. I think Edmonton is a shithole, but so is Calgary. But that's irrelevant. What's funny is that Whyte Ave is no different than 17th Ave in terms of safety and there aren't cracked out hobos stabbing people for their toonies. I know a couple girls that used to work on Whyte Ave and walk home from work at around midnight and they've never felt unsafe at all, so for you to talk about how worried you are is a pretty pussy thing to say.

DRKM
11-06-2007, 12:10 AM
If you are not planning to do go onto Grad school does it really matter where you get your undergrad? Seriously if you can stay at home instead of having to take on more debt I would stay at home in calgary.

buh_buh
11-06-2007, 12:11 AM
I got stabbed 3x on Whyte ave just last year walking to and from school

arian_ma
11-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
LOL I'm sorry, but that's gotta be the dumbest shit I've read in awhile. I think Edmonton is a shithole, but so is Calgary. But that's irrelevant. What's funny is that Whyte Ave is no different than 17th Ave in terms of safety and there aren't cracked out hobos stabbing people for their toonies. I know a couple girls that used to work on Whyte Ave and walk home from work at around midnight and they've never felt unsafe at all, so for you to talk about how worried you are is a pretty pussy thing to say.

Yeah, I am sure people don't just walk around stabbing each other, I was just saying that from my general experience, I was actually scared to walk alone on White or Whyte or however you spell it. I got yelled at a couple of times by bums...:cry:
Anyways, I will say this though, the bar experience in Edmonton is better than Calgary I thought.

I know I'm a little girl, I got upset cause bums yelled at me okay? I hold grudges.
Seriously though, I don't walk around 17th much, but everytime I am there there is always a lot of people or I am with a lot of people, so my general perception of 17th is not negative. Last few times I have been on white, I have seen people get stabbed (well, one person), cops hit bums in the face a few times with their bikes cause they were fighting over a smoke or something, bouncers throw people out of bars into trees. I don't know man, that's sketchy to me...Maybe I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was the vibe I got from Whyte and I didn't like it. Not to mention that my friend lived right off of Whyte and where I slept, there was a window opening to a back alley, and all you heard every night was bums shooting up. It was great.

herragge
11-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I got stabbed 3x on Whyte ave just last year walking to and from school

I got stabbed 5x walking home from Whyte!
HAH! Suck it bitch!

Spoons
11-06-2007, 02:08 AM
I asked on which university was better, not how bad the area was. Wait matter of fact I said right at the beginning I didn't care about Calgary vs Edmonton on which is a better City. If you read my location it says I used to live in Edmonton, I know the city, so I don't need a lesson on it.

BTW I did not mean internship, I mean a Co-Op program. I go to school for 5 years instead of 4 but in that is 20 months of paid engineering-related work experience. I know about internship, and thats just between your 3rd year and 4th. Co-Op is totally different.

GTS Jeff
11-06-2007, 03:07 AM
I asked on which university was better, not how bad the area was. Wait matter of fact I said right at the beginning I didn't care about Calgary vs Edmonton on which is a better City. If you read my location it says I used to live in Edmonton, I know the city, so I don't need a lesson on it.

BTW I did not mean internship, I mean a Co-Op program. I go to school for 5 years instead of 4 but in that is 20 months of paid engineering-related work experience. I know about internship, and thats just between your 3rd year and 4th. Co-Op is totally different. Nope, don't come here. You'll get stabbed. Aryan-ma's band of nazi hobos will get you!

Gondi Stylez
11-06-2007, 03:26 PM
PS - Jasper Ave > Whyte Ave!

Also much nicer to live on Jasper:thumbsup:

PPS - My condo may be up for sale soon so let me know if you want to purchase (or rent)

Spoons
11-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
PS - Jasper Ave > Whyte Ave!

Also much nicer to live on Jasper:thumbsup:

PPS - My condo may be up for sale soon so let me know if you want to purchase (or rent)

My second choice is Economics if I don't get into Engineering, and if I take Economics I have to stay in Res for my first year... but thanks :D I would probably be living with some friends if in Engineering anyways cause they are all up there still.

I will have to keep an eye out for those Nazi Hobos though, thanks for the heads up Jeff :rofl: To be completely honest when I was up there for the weekend checking out the Campus, and I saw a few homeless people that were wearing nice jackets shoes, but still begging for money. All I could think was, "Wow their campus is nicer, their river valley is nicer, fuck even their hobos look nicer!"

But it is ok. I actually plan on doing a lot of stabbing myself for my freshmen year, but a different kind of stabbing ;)

Pahnda
11-06-2007, 05:41 PM

BTW I did not mean internship, I mean a Co-Op program. I go to school for 5 years instead of 4 but in that is 20 months of paid engineering-related work experience. I know about internship, and thats just between your 3rd year and 4th. Co-Op is totally different.

:confused:
Internship and co-operative education is essentially the same thing.
Co-op: you take 5 years, one doing work for an engineering company. You get credit for it at your home institution, you get paid, you get work experience in your major.

Internship: You take 5 years, one doing work for an engineering company. You get credit for it at your home institution, you get paid, you get work experience in your major.

I don't know about co-operative education routes, but I assume the following is the same also.
With internship you need to work at least 12 months to get the designation on the degree itself, but you are allowed to do something like 6 months at one company, 6 months at another. I think the 4 month term is the shortest allowed per company but don't quote me on that, I am on a year contract. and also you can go up to 16 months of work time (start of one spring session right up until the following year's fall session).

I would assume if you want to skip the fall semester (or start earlier in the winter semester of the starting year) you could negotiate with the co-op / internship office to get a 20 month term, but that seems strange to me to essentially push back your degree by another year because you'll be missing those courses that are only offered in the term you had to miss. If a university advertises a 20 month term then yeah, that's interesting.

But again, if you're trying to find a school which is a better place as far as the quality of the degree, there isn't much of a difference for undergrad education between universities. At any university you're bound to have a handful of awesome profs, a handful of crap profs, and the rest are just fine. However, if you're interested in nanotech or something specific to a school, obviously you'll select the school that offers your interest. Something important to some people is that the university has 'student life' support buildings. If you are the type that would want to hang out after class on campus, then U of A is probably your best bet. But if you're like me, and just like to go to school then leave with your friends to someplace downtown or etc.. then I would say U of C and Calgary in general is more catered towards that.

Regardless, good luck with the university applications and sorry for the long message, haha.

Hamilton515
11-06-2007, 07:24 PM

Pahnda
11-06-2007, 07:44 PM
So virtually it's the same but allow you to add more terms in previous summers or any other terms. That's a nice added bonus if you can't get a job on your own in the summers after 1st and 2nd year.

I suppose the only downside to the way that U of A does it, is that it appears like an 8 month term is the maximum length. I kind of like being able to start a major project and see it through to the end.. or well I guess currently I'm in the process of seeing it through to the end right now, haha. Another thing is that way you seem to be locked into their pattern for spring/summer. The engineering company I worked for in my summers after 1st and 2nd year let me do courses and get out of work a bit early. However, I know many people who didn't even get engineering work for those summers so co-op would seem advantageous to those people.

However, the fundamentals of internship / co-op (working to gain experience in your field) are the same and it would be expected to find some variations depending on the school.

EDIT: I realize that there *is* a difference, co-op is more rigidly defined and is spread across a longer time span and all. But in the end it's work experience and pay, that's what I mean when I say it's virtually the same thing.

I think you can't really say either is better though. Like, if you are unsure what you want to do in your major then maybe a co-op is better to give you more experiences with different things. However, if you are fairly certain of what you want to do, I would argue that doing a 12 or 16 month term on your interests would be better. Regardless, good luck.

arian_ma
11-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Nope, don't come here. You'll get stabbed. Aryan-ma's band of nazi hobos will get you!

Haven't heard that one before...

Also, Spoons, then I would also suggest UofA as opposed to UofC, don't know much about the program but the campus is much nicer.

bashir26
11-06-2007, 08:37 PM
UofA is the best. the teachers are good, the campus is huge, the women are nice. uofa is the place to be bro

Spoons
11-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah Co-Op is great. Yes you can find your own job on your own after first year, but a lot of them don't pay as well. My buddy is getting paid $25 dollars an hour in his Co-Op work while my other friend who found his own is only getting paid $17.

Internship happens between your 3 and 4 year, while Co-Op starts your 2nd year.

arian_ma
11-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah Co-Op is great. Yes you can find your own job on your own after first year, but a lot of them don't pay as well. My buddy is getting paid $25 dollars an hour in his Co-Op work while my other friend who found his own is only getting paid $17.

Internship happens between your 3 and 4 year, while Co-Op starts your 2nd year.

Your friend got Jipped with $17 for his internship, I got paid more than he did with my summer job after only my second year, and I found my own job. Also, I always thought CO-OP and Internship were the same thing, at least AFAIK there is no difference in UofC, if you want your own job after second year you get it on your own.

riander
11-06-2007, 11:31 PM

*Edited for clarity

Definately not true
#1 - Waterloo
#2 - Toronto
#3 - Saskatchewan

I think?

U of A is near the bottom of the top 10 i believe, u of c isnt even close

turbotrip
11-07-2007, 12:22 AM
^thats probably overall, i believe u of c's department of mechanical/manufacturing is one of the top in the country

Spoons
11-07-2007, 12:29 AM

Your friend got Jipped with $17 for his internship, I got paid more than he did with my summer job after only my second year, and I found my own job. Also, I always thought CO-OP and Internship were the same thing, at least AFAIK there is no difference in UofC, if you want your own job after second year you get it on your own.

Dude it is not an internship... none of them have anything to do with each other. Co-Op is simply the school puts you in a job that is related with your schooling WHILE GOING TO SCHOOL. You don't take the full year off, go read the guys post it explains it all. My friend is not on an internship, that is just a job he got that was during the summer that was close to what he is doing for eng. Internship you apply at different companies yourself and take a year off, Co-Op you do while at school. Damnit.

Edit: sorry if I was a little short tempered but you don't seem to understand. Also I am stressing over marks right now. I need to uphold my 90 in Math 30, and my teacher is a total retard. She thinks in a graph stretch, if you have to multiply the x coord for a horizontal stretch by 2 to get the horizontally stretch x coord, you write it down as "Horizontal Stretch by a factor of 1/2". She honestly wanted to and used to teach gym and decided to go into math...

arian_ma
11-07-2007, 11:53 AM

Dude it is not an internship... none of them have anything to do with each other. Co-Op is simply the school puts you in a job that is related with your schooling WHILE GOING TO SCHOOL. You don't take the full year off, go read the guys post it explains it all. My friend is not on an internship, that is just a job he got that was during the summer that was close to what he is doing for eng. Internship you apply at different companies yourself and take a year off, Co-Op you do while at school. Damnit.

I see...that sounds interesting, I didn't know that was possible. I have been looking for the exact thing you are describing as a CO-OP myself. My company told me they needed me full time, and to come back next summer again when my availability was more. I will ask around the uni and if I get any more information I will post it here to try and help you out. Also, what are your marks in Physics 30, Chem 30, and English 30-1 so far? The year that I applied, the cutoff average for ENGG was 77.5% I believe...which is pretty low. Don't stress yourself out. Diplomas are super easy and worth a lot.
:thumbsup:

Spoons
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I know I am upgrading right now so I have written the diploma already, but I really want to be safe than sorry, so I'm pushing high marks. Really it's like I decided to take engineering after I graduated. Right now I am retaking Chem 30 and have an 81%, and Math 30 Pure I have a 90%. I forgot to take physics 20 in grade 11 so I am taking it now and I have a 90% in that. Next semester is Physics 30 which I am shooting for a 85% and Math 31 I am shooting for an 90%.

My English 30-1 Is at a 74% and I'm not upgrading it. I got 78% on the english diploma so I don't need to take that stupid course in University.

Perceptionist
11-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Edit: sorry if I was a little short tempered but you don't seem to understand. Also I am stressing over marks right now. I need to uphold my 90 in Math 30, and my teacher is a total retard. She thinks in a graph stretch, if you have to multiply the x coord for a horizontal stretch by 2 to get the horizontally stretch x coord, you write it down as "Horizontal Stretch by a factor of 1/2". She honestly wanted to and used to teach gym and decided to go into math...
Take some time before thinking that the co-op program is definately what you want to do. I know lots of people in the U of A engineering co-op program that really disliked their jobs and also disliked going to school during the summer semester when none of their friends were around. They also charge you quite a bit for the placement/interview process. It's a great program for students paying for everything themselves since you'll make enough not to go into debt. But if that's not your situation then I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Finishing your degree a year earlier in the traditional program might be more appealing. I know it is for me.
With the Math 30 stuff, don't worry too much about transformations. The trig is what you'll see most of in engineering as well as some of the logs, stats, and series. Getting a good at derivatives and integrals in Math 31 would also be a good idea.

lil*tymer
11-07-2007, 06:20 PM
My friend did petroleum engg co-op at u of a. he did 4 different work terms 2 4 month terms in a calgary office with a wage of 18$-22$.

then 2 terms out in the field. for 54 days he worked in the bush as a relief consultant with a salary of 500$ a day. so you can get lucky and makle some good coin.

Spoons
11-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Take some time before thinking that the co-op program is definately what you want to do. I know lots of people in the U of A engineering co-op program that really disliked their jobs and also disliked going to school during the summer semester when none of their friends were around. They also charge you quite a bit for the placement/interview process. It's a great program for students paying for everything themselves since you'll make enough not to go into debt. But if that's not your situation then I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Finishing your degree a year earlier in the traditional program might be more appealing. I know it is for me.
With the Math 30 stuff, don't worry too much about transformations. The trig is what you'll see most of in engineering as well as some of the logs, stats, and series. Getting a good at derivatives and integrals in Math 31 would also be a good idea.

Yeah my parents are paying for my schooling, so maybe I will rethink it.

About the transformations, lol no its super easy, I was just saying my teacher is so retarded I teach her half the time lol :D

I struggle a bit through trig, it doesn't come so easy like everything else but I just have to study a bit more and then I do fine.