PDA

View Full Version : "Casual" Job Interview

seadog
11-05-2007, 04:01 PM
So I'm an engineering grad interviewing with an oil and gas company coming in from out west for the day. The first email I got ended with "Please note, dress code is casual!". We fired a few emails back and forth to schedule a time on a first name basis. Final email comes with the room its happening in, and then another note at the end "Remember, Casual!"

How would you dress for this? He didn't say business casual, and metioned casual twice, both times with the exclamation mark, and the whole email excahnge seemed very informal. I'm half tempted to just go in jeans and a button-up shirt. Maybe upgrade the jeans to khakis?

The conventional wisdom is its better to be overdressed than underdressed, but following direction is pretty important too I think. I went to another interview where it was business casual, and both before and after me were in suits. If I were the interviewer, Id think they either didn't know how to read or were trying to overdress to compensate for shortfalls.

Thoughts?

BrknFngrs
11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd still avoid jeans, I'd do a nice set of khakis and a sweater

GQBalla
11-05-2007, 04:33 PM
go khakis and a golf shirt.

topmade
11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I'd still avoid jeans, I'd do a nice set of khakis and a sweater
:werd: Khakis with any long or short sleeved collored shirt.

PINOY-X
11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
business atire(SP?). Just dont dress up like a bum. Be profesional.

Rat Fink
11-05-2007, 04:40 PM

nj2Type-S
11-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

:werd:

JordanEG6
11-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Like stated, I would do the khakis and golf shirt for your first day to be safe. Not too casual, but not formal either. I'd go about that for your first day. Then take a look around you for what other people are wearing.

My current job is business casual. No denim, and a must-have collared shirt dress code and no sneakers, except friday. So the khaki/golf shirt would do fine.

My last job was 'casual' so I wore jeans, sneakers and casual shirts (as long as it wasn't a tee shirt) everyday as long as they're clean (no ripped jeans, dirty sneakers etc.). Maybe that'll give you an idea. However, Companies vary from what they define as 'casual'.

eina15
11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
A large part of the interview process is ensuring you are a fit with the rest of the team. Maybe they are a really casual firm, and want to make sure you aren't a stuffy "suit" like they are used to interviewing?

That being said, I agree with still keeping it professional (ie(khakis, nice shoes and a sweater) as dressing like a bum would seem pretty disrespectful ("Your company isn't worth putting on nice pants for")

On the flip side, hubby once had an interview where the employer showed up in sweats and a t-shirt, like she had just come from jogging......he regretted waking up early to iron his suit.

GTS Jeff
11-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Why not just ask them for clarification? Here's your chance to show them you're not the typical engineer without the social skills to ask about something so minor.

icecreamvan
11-06-2007, 07:52 AM
treat it like casual sex.

Pacman
11-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Why not just ask them for clarification? Here's your chance to show them you're not the typical engineer without the social skills to ask about something so minor.

Boomshakalaka!!

icecreamvan
11-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

Boomshakalaka!!

That reminds me of NBA Jam.

nj2Type-S
11-06-2007, 09:25 AM
^ :rofl:

ZorroAMG
11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Dress pants, dress shirt, no tie.

Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

~Leah~
11-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Some places pride themselves on their casual atmosphere like my work does (although it is the Head Office for a sports company, not O&G). I know that anyone who comes in for an interview in dress pants and dress shirt stick out like a sore thumb and never get hired because they just don't fit in.

I agree with Jeff though, you should email them back and ask for clarification.

xxjessmicaxx
11-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

my bf is an engg at colt and that's what he and most people wear each day - i'd go in that for sure.

if your interview is on a friday, it might be casual friday at the office place, so that could be another reason why they have placed emphasis on this

good luck

cts
11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
go in your girlfriends pantis. if not i'll go in them.

Rat Fink
11-09-2007, 03:43 PM