PDA

View Full Version : automotive classes

Trini
11-05-2007, 04:19 PM
where are they held?
Basically trying to get some info. on the workings of autos and some practical experience in basic repairs.
Something part time would be good.

checked SAIT they have a full time 10 week program not suitable for me.

Eleanor
11-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I would be very interested in something like this as well and haven't been able to find anything part-time.

97'Scort
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
There are tons of demand for evening classes for this kind of thing, but virtually none available. Business opportunity anyone?

nj2Type-S
11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
i'd also be interested to know if there are any night courses for basic automotive maintenance and repairs.

78si
11-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I could run one if I had enough people.

Speed_69
11-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I'd be interested in going to something like this as well.

Arthur Dent
11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
SAIT used to have night classes - once a week for a two hours or so. Try their adult continuing education section.

Trini
11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
SAIT used to have night classes - once a week for a two hours or so. Try their adult continuing education section.
http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/continuingeducation/areasofinterest.shtml#transportation
at the base of the page has transportation but nothing part time

78si
11-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I could organize one through Chinook College.

http://www.chinooklearningservices.com/ContEd/AdultSubsections/Do-It-YourselfHouseHome.html

They had a program called "auto for teens" but the instructor tanked the program.

frozenrice
11-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I'd sign up as long it wasn't something geared JUST for teens.

nj2Type-S
11-13-2007, 10:17 PM
^what do you mean? i'm not a teen, myself, but isn't autmotives, well, automotives? lol.

anyway, i'd be down for this depending on:

- cost
- schedule
- duration
- class size

how many people are needed to do this?

Lo)2enz0
11-13-2007, 11:04 PM
in all honesty, unless you are doing big jobs like changing a clutch or installing a new diff really everything is easy.

really there isn't much info to cover plus it depends on where your doing the class and what tools you have. if you don't have a press don't expect to learn how to change a wheel bearing unless you learn how to just install a new hub where the bearing is already pressed into it

lol really what are you guys looking to learn?

reiRei
11-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I'd like to sign up for this, I was supposed to take a class "women and wheels" at SAIT, and they cancelled it

danlowteg
11-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
in all honesty, unless you are doing big jobs like changing a clutch or installing a new diff really everything is easy.

really there isn't much info to cover plus it depends on where your doing the class and what tools you have. if you don't have a press don't expect to learn how to change a wheel bearing unless you learn how to just install a new hub where the bearing is already pressed into it

lol really what are you guys looking to learn?

There is tons to cover on automotive that+IBk-s why it takes 4 years to get your Ticket. Yes it is easy to change brakes and do basic stuff but its also very easy to fuck it up if you don+IBk-t know what your doing. I see a lot of dumb people working around me that are 1st or 2nd years. I think we need some night courses for people that wanna learn to fix there own car or want to get started in the trade later in life.

PS: Not all wheel bearings need a press

anhthanh
11-14-2007, 12:56 AM
im not sure if im reading the tuition rite , it says $4,150 ... for Introduction to Automotive Maintenance .. then after that where do u ur 1st and 2nd yr and so on ...... 4 thousand alot of moeny

Lo)2enz0
11-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by danlowteg

There is tons to cover on automotive that+IBk-s why it takes 4 years to get your Ticket. Yes it is easy to change brakes and do basic stuff but its also very easy to fuck it up if you don+IBk-t know what your doing. I see a lot of dumb people working around me that are 1st or 2nd years. I think we need some night courses for people that wanna learn to fix there own car or want to get started in the trade later in life.

PS: Not all wheel bearings need a press

ya but the reason why its 4 years is because first year shit is a joke. your not going to be teaching these guys how to do ball joints on a for f-350 4x4

why i talked about a press with the wheel bearings is for the the fact that chances are most guys will be working on honda's/acura's

brakes are easy to do if your just replacing everything with new parts. but if your servicing the brake (machining the rotors/ buffing the pads and cleaning everything thats a bit more complicated). drum brakes are another thing that would be a must to cover