PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Vehicle Off Ebay?

Sailz
11-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi im just about to buy a new truck off of Ebay and I had some questions for people that have already done it. I have read Jaymezsti Import thread and that was an awesome help in figuring out how to bring it into Canada! My questions lie getting the Vehicle to my vacation home in Montana. I plan on shipping the truck from Tennessee to Montana using DAS auto shippers. How do you guys recommend I pay for the truck, Iam buying it from a private seller, I have gotten a carfax on the truck and its clean but it has a lien on it from his bank. Should I just send him a cheque and hope he signs over the title to me and delivers it to the shippers in the condition shown to me...obviously not. So how do you guys recommend going about this?

Thanks

HondaRice
11-05-2007, 06:35 PM
do what i do, ask him to put the title in your name then fedex it over, use paypal, or use your credit card to secure the purchase.

do some background searching making sure nothing is to good to be true.

Sailz
11-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
do what i do, ask him to put the title in your name then fedex it over, use paypal, or use your credit card to secure the purchase.

do some background searching making sure nothing is to good to be true.

So ask him to put the title in my name fedex it over to me, Then pay for the truck using paypal or a credit card? It would have to be paypal because I dont have near that big of a limit on my CC nor do I want one?

Other suggestions or tips/clarifications?

adidas
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Fly down there and check out the car yourself....It would really blow if the car doesnt run once you get possesion of it.

That is what i would do if i was to purchase a car from the net. Its better to pay 500 for a plane ticket and know that the car is fucked then pay 20G and be stuck with fixing it yourself.

mikeleb1
11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
if there is a lien on it then he wouldnt have the title
he has to pay it off first to get the title

badatusrnames
11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Make sure that your bank will allow paypal to withdraw such a large amount...

Sailz
11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by mikeleb1
if there is a lien on it then he wouldnt have the title
he has to pay it off first to get the title

True so I have to give him all the Money then hope he signs over the title too me. Anyone know if I can pay the bank directly and get them to send me over the title?

mikeleb1
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
even if you pay the bank they will only release the title to him in his name

Sailz
11-05-2007, 06:57 PM
So any ideas on how to protect myself? I would love to fly down there and drive it back but with my schedule I just cant do a 4 day drive back from Tennessee.

badatusrnames
11-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Maybe get in touch with Paypal and see how larger transactions are normally handled, I do know that they provide some insurance/protection on payments made from a bank account. See if it extends/applies to your situation.

MintRacer
11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
fly there and fly back after completing the transaction...
or have buddie take it to the local dealership and pay them to have a complete inspection done on the truck... have them keep the truck there upon positive inspection and get transport company to pick the truck up from there upon completion of payment and title transfer.

funkedelic
11-06-2007, 01:27 AM
expect to pay within $1000-$1200 US if you want it actually picked up within a couple of days if you decide not to fly. You can make a deposit on your purchase through your credit card, and pay the rest in cash when your car arrives, i also think you can pay all at once if you want but i wouldn't recommend it.

You do not need the title in YOUR name, i don't know if you can even have the title in your name because you need to register it in the U.S I think.

You will need to show at the boarder that the lien has been released.

Don't send a cheque, i recommend you do a draft through your bank, or pay him in person if you fly over and get it.

Get inspections done before you commit to anything.

Sailz
11-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic
expect to pay within $1000-$1200 US if you want it actually picked up within a couple of days if you decide not to fly. You can make a deposit on your purchase through your credit card, and pay the rest in cash when your car arrives, i also think you can pay all at once if you want but i wouldn't recommend it.

You do not need the title in YOUR name, i don't know if you can even have the title in your name because you need to register it in the U.S I think.

You will need to show at the boarder that the lien has been released.

Don't send a cheque, i recommend you do a draft through your bank, or pay him in person if you fly over and get it.

Get inspections done before you commit to anything.

Yes I was quoted $1100 to get it shipped and thats from 2 depot locations. As far as payment in credit card then in cash when the car arrives you mean that just for the transport right? So I just need the Title not in my name, also how do I show the lien has been released? Also what extra protection does a bank-draft do for me?

Thanks

Love the M3 BTW its the one I voted for!

funkedelic
11-06-2007, 03:28 PM
$1100 is really good for the location, last year i paid $1000 from new york, i got lucky that it was moved within 2 days after my deposit.

Yes just pay their deposit, most companies will charge you around $150 for a deposit and then they will tell you how much the rest is. When they call you in advance to let you know the car is close, go to the bank, and get the money out in u.s funds. You will be paying a lot less then $1100 because the dollar is doing so well lately.

I never had a title in my name, just on the back of the title as the new buyer.

At the boarder on the u.s side they need to stamp your title and they will need a paper from the bank showing that the lien has been released.

You really don't get protection either way, unless you show up in person, i think if you do bank to bank more information on your seller is revealed and its a lot harder in case it was a deadbeat seller or fraud was involved. You'll need to show proof of purchase on the Canadian side of the boarder so bring whatever recepits you can.

Sailz
11-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Ok so just have him sign the title over to me on the back as the new buyer, and have a traditional bill of sale as well stating what I purchased and for how much etc?

Thanks

megavolt
11-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Just hope this doesn't turn into a 'how I got scammed' thread... Doesn't seem like you're 100% sure of what you're doing...

Sailz
11-06-2007, 04:37 PM
I know what Iam doing. This is my first time importing a vehicle Iam just looking for tips from people who have had the experience. Trying to eliminate the if I could do it again I would have done this kind of crap. The truck has a clean car fax, was inspected by a toyota dealership this morning which I was faxed the report as well as spoke with the service guys. I have throughly read what I need to import it as well as talk to RIV about duties and paper work. Just trying to educate myself on how other people have done it.

funkedelic
11-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Yes you just need a traditional bill of sale that the seller can pick up at his local dmv.

you'll need the title, lien release and the bill of sale at the american side, remember you will need the original documents but you need to fax these documents along with a work order that you can obtain from the internet and print out. Fax the papers, and you have within 90 days to bring your car over, but you have to give them 3 days notice in advance.

You need to fax over your recall letter to RIV.

All this info is on the importing thread but its a lot to read.

Good luck with the process

AVA
11-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic
Yes you just need a traditional bill of sale that the seller can pick up at his local dmv.

you'll need the title, lien release and the bill of sale at the american side, remember you will need the original documents but you need to fax these documents along with a work order that you can obtain from the internet and print out. Fax the papers, and you have within 90 days to bring your car over, but you have to give them 3 days notice in advance.

You need to fax over your recall letter to RIV.

All this info is on the importing thread but its a lot to read.

Good luck with the process

you know what you're talking about