PDA

View Full Version : Cardio/Gym

The Cosworth
11-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Ok I looked back in the threads until July and was quite surprised to not see something regarding weight loss.

I used to do ITF TKD for 2 years before college; once I was in college I stopped working out all together and inherited a VERY unhealthy diet of pizza and beer.

I went from 145lbs to 190lbs in a year and a half. I am 5'8" and 21 years old.

Now that college is done, I have been working out since school stopped. First by playing beach volleyball, and now indoor volleyball. I have started going to the gym again and hitting the elliptical for the last month and a half.

Now I have noticed that my body fat has come down (visually) but I have gained 5 lbs (now up to 195) since I was working out. I assumed this was due to muscle mass growth, but it is VERY frustrating.

I usually hit the gym for 45 minutes on my lunch breaks and put in about 4 miles (or 500 calories as the little computer tells me) and have been feeling better every week, but am starting to get discouraged because I am not seeing results.

What else could I do to REALLY help drop some weight faster to keep me motivated.

TYIA!

5hift
11-06-2007, 03:20 PM
There are a million threads about this probably.

that said,

First join a site like tnation or wannabebig where you will learn a lot you dont know, like the fact that diet plays a much bigger role than exercise (what are you eating now?).

Then you will know your goal should not be weight loss, but fat loss. I also dont know how you can get a decent workout in 45 minutes either, you might want to look into moving your workout time later in the day if possible. Also some might argue this, but IMO the elipitcal is a waste of time. Weightlifting and running will produce better results in the same time you waste swinging your legs back and forth on a machine designed for old ladies.

To simplify it, eat clean whole foods, making sure you reach all your daily macro levels. Drink a ton of water everyday. Lift hard and heavy (fuck this high rep/light weight, lifting for "defintion" joke) , and mix in some cardio (HIT). Dont forget to hit your legs regularily as the majority of your muscle mass is there. Stick at it and your body will recompose on its own given enough time.

The Cosworth
11-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
There are a million threads about this probably.

that said,

First join a site like tnation or wannabebig where you will learn a lot you dont know, like the fact that diet plays a much bigger role than exercise (what are you eating now?).

Then you will know your goal should not be weight loss, but fat loss. I also dont know how you can get a decent workout in 45 minutes either, you might want to look into moving your workout time later in the day if possible. Also some might argue this, but IMO the elipitcal is a waste of time. Weightlifting and running will produce better results in the same time you waste swinging your legs back and forth on a machine designed for old ladies.

To simplify it, eat clean whole foods, making sure you reach all your daily macro levels. Drink a ton of water everyday. Lift hard and heavy (fuck this high rep/light weight, lifting for "defintion" joke) , and mix in some cardio (HIT). Dont forget to hit your legs regularily as the majority of your muscle mass is there. Stick at it and your body will recompose on its own given enough time.

I will try and answer some of your questions. I go on the elliptical for 45 minutes straight and feel pretty tired after that.

I try to eat as healthy as possible, but that is still an issue with me.

I can't run right now because I have injured my calf muscle (when I was training) so I need something very low impact like the elliptical or bike. I originally started to do weights only, but was told that cardio is the only one that burns existing fat, weights will gain muscle to burn the calories you take in every day.

is this what you mean by Macro's??

Good Carbohydrates
Vegetables- Asparagus, broccoli, lentils, kidney beans, cauliflower, great or wax beans, zucchini, cabbage, tomato, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, celery, green pepper
Fruits- Apple, orange, cherries, apricots, nectarine, pear, strawberries, pineapple, peach, grapefruit, grapes, kiwi, cantaloupe, plum, tangerine, blueberries

Bad Carbohydrates

Brown rice, pasta, papaya, mango, banana, dry breakfast cereal, bread, bagel, flour tortilla, carrots

Proteins

Animal Sources- Skinless chicken breast, lean pork, turkey breast, lean lamb
Fish Sources- Cod, Shrimp, Tuna, Salmon
Egg Sources- Egg whites, egg beaters
Vegetarian Sources- Tofu, Protein powder
Dairy Sources- Low-fat cottage cheese
Whey-Less Dietary Supplement (info)

5hift
11-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

I will try and answer some of your questions. I go on the elliptical for 45 minutes straight and feel pretty tired after that.

I try to eat as healthy as possible, but that is still an issue with me.

I can't run right now because I have injured my calf muscle (when I was training) so I need something very low impact like the elliptical or bike. I originally started to do weights only, but was told that cardio is the only one that burns existing fat, weights will gain muscle to burn the calories you take in every day.

Doing 45 mins straight of the Eliptical could be better spent elsewhere. If your calf is still fucked, dont do any cardio at all and focus on lifting until it feels good. Any kind of regular cardio is not going to help that get back to normal. If its too painful to run on, you shouldnt be working it.

By Macro's I was refering to the break down of the content of your daily intake. Ie: Grams of fat, grams of protien, of carbs and total calories. Theres a certain min your body needs and if you dont have a good diet, and arent meeting those, your wasting your time in the gym.

Myself, living alone and going to school, found having a good diet, very hard at first. Once you get into it however, you feel much better, have more energy through the day, and lose the taste for the junk food. It is a big effort to get into, but the results are worth it. You dont have to be a nazi with the diet either, just make the effort to eat a lot of protien and keep the food clean and whole on a regular basis.

Whoever told you cardio is the only way to burn existing fat, is not someone you should be taking advice from. Yes cardio is great for your cardiovascular health and burning fat, but it is not the only way. You burn fat by simply burning more calories than you take in. You could lose body fat by simply lifting hard/heavy and then maintaining a calorie controlled diet, not even needing cardio. I bet if you didnt even work out, but cut out all the pop/alcohol/sugar/junk food in your diet, you would have better results in a month than what you have doing it your way in the gym.

I think you need to join a fitness based forum. There is a wealth of information that would help you. I prefer http://www.wannabebigforums.com/ over some of the bigger ones. You'll be able to read up on the importance of certain exercises I'm guessing you currently dont do among other things (Dips, Chinups, pullups, squats, deadlifts).

To get you started ....

Here is a great article about what you should be eating if you want serious results:

http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?topic=14508.msg241711#msg241711

Here is a great workout to use as a starting point: What I love about wannabebig is they have video clips of every exercise so there is no confusion in the weightlifting exercises.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=314

Here is the way to do cardio once your calf heals:

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292

The truth about your fat loss :

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=274

The Cosworth
11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
awesome

thanks!

shadowz
11-09-2007, 11:36 AM

Now I have noticed that my body fat has come down (visually) but I have gained 5 lbs (now up to 195) since I was working out. I assumed this was due to muscle mass growth, but it is VERY frustrating.

I usually hit the gym for 45 minutes on my lunch breaks and put in about 4 miles (or 500 calories as the little computer tells me) and have been feeling better every week, but am starting to get discouraged because I am not seeing results.

What else could I do to REALLY help drop some weight faster to keep me motivated.

TYIA!

I was kind of in the same situation as you, I had gained over 50lbs over a year or so and started going to the gym to counter act, it did help a lot and saw a lot of fat loss, but still wasnt quite there yet, and I was noticing a lot due to my diet, so I cut out all unneeded sugars (pop, candy, desserts) and I drank tonnes of water which youll probably read in a tonne of threads here, as well youll notice everyone will say to eat smaller but more portions, I try to eat around 5 times a day, a good breakfast, snack before lunch, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. As well for cravings like icecream and such I have some yogurt which is a quick fill and suffices lol. As well Ive found fruit helps my sweet tooth. Now my metabolism is working great, sometimes now with my new work schedule I cant go to the gym as long as I stick to a good healthy diet I still feel great and I the only downside I see is weight loss due to muscle moss loss. Its not as hard as people think changing your diet over. But diet is a huge thing keep up with your work out and change your diet a bit more and youll see some differences. My only downfall is drinking and rice, but Ill never give those up.

The Cosworth
11-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

I was kind of in the same situation as you, I had gained over 50lbs over a year or so and started going to the gym to counter act, it did help a lot and saw a lot of fat loss, but still wasnt quite there yet, and I was noticing a lot due to my diet, so I cut out all unneeded sugars (pop, candy, desserts) and I drank tonnes of water which youll probably read in a tonne of threads here, as well youll notice everyone will say to eat smaller but more portions, I try to eat around 5 times a day, a good breakfast, snack before lunch, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. As well for cravings like icecream and such I have some yogurt which is a quick fill and suffices lol. As well Ive found fruit helps my sweet tooth. Now my metabolism is working great, sometimes now with my new work schedule I cant go to the gym as long as I stick to a good healthy diet I still feel great and I the only downside I see is weight loss due to muscle moss loss. Its not as hard as people think changing your diet over. But diet is a huge thing keep up with your work out and change your diet a bit more and youll see some differences. My only downfall is drinking and rice, but Ill never give those up.
good to know! thanks

My vice is coffee

shadowz
11-09-2007, 04:47 PM

good to know! thanks

My vice is coffee

mine was too, but now i take coffee black no cream no sugar