PDA

View Full Version : Mileage

chris
11-07-2007, 01:53 AM
Hi,

so my company just decided out of the blue to lower my mileage rate to $.25 a kilometer, 'cost cutting' even though gas prices are going up, they decide to screw a university student driving their personal vehicle even though there really should be a company vehicle. Anyways enough with my little rant. I think this is complete bullshit and am wondering what everyone else gets for mileage. Also what you think is fair for mileage, considering it's all winter highway driving.

chris

BlackArcher101
11-07-2007, 02:01 AM
I get $0.40/km. Office worker with occasional trips. I would be complaining left right and center if it was $0.25. That would barely cover gas, let alone the wear and tear and replacement cost of a vehicle.

Darkenergy
11-07-2007, 02:18 AM
I'm getting 35c from my trips, seems ok

FreakinPrince
11-07-2007, 09:06 AM
i am getting .45/km

i would go and complain to them if it was .25/km.... or just tell them to give you a company car..if not..then don't do the job....if that's the case...quit...

depends on your situation

Amysicle
11-07-2007, 09:38 AM
A company I previously worked for paid $0.42-0.43/km. Sounds like you're getting screwed.

WWJAI
11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Keep in mind that companies get to deduct $0.50 for your first 5000kms and $0.44 thereafter. It does not matter how much they pay you so I would say anything $0.40+ is fair.

Antonito
11-07-2007, 10:18 AM
At my last job they gave everyone else $500 a month for gas, but they started me out at $0.35 per km because they figured I wouldn't do any driving (they thought jobsites ran themselves by magic, and that there should be no one there but pixies and elves, I guess. But I digress). So the first month was $700. They freaked out a bit. The next month was $800. They immediately said "well, I think it's time we put you on that allowance like everybody else. You won't be driving much more anyways, but you know, to be fair, we'll make you the same as everyone else"

I went and asked my coworker how he could do his job for $500 a month, and he said "oh it's bullshit, we're all getting ripped off, now you're just one of us"
:( :(

But on topic: $0.35 is crap, and $0.25 is absolute shit

Supa Dexta
11-07-2007, 10:41 AM
used to get 45 in town..

sputnik
11-07-2007, 11:18 AM
25c/km is a joke.

abyss
11-07-2007, 11:51 AM
25 cents is a joke, however, maybe they did this because people were making too many trips that were not necessary? We have guys here that used to go to the same store 30km away from the job site 5 times in one day to get material they knew they needed for the job a week before. We were getting 5 invoices that were $1.30 each, and at the same time being billed $138.00 for mileage in one day. Once we lowered the rate the useless trips stopped completely, because it was once again more profitable for the employee to do the work on site than it was to be driving around all day. Plus we have company vehicles for almost all our guys, which I think is necessary, they should really give you a vehicle if you need it.

/devil's advocate.

swak
11-07-2007, 12:08 PM
i used to get $10 to drive to okotokes everyday and i live around sait. Thats less than 25cents/km.
It was terrible

98type_r
11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I get $0.44/I'm but after a brutal august and a mileage expense over $2000 they started asking me to rent instead of driving my own vehicle.

AVA
11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
are you serious? .25 cents is horrible

cosmok
11-07-2007, 05:03 PM
$0.85 if they're providing fuel. $0.25 and you're almost loosing money at $1/L

Graham_A_M
11-07-2007, 06:35 PM
^ It all depends on what your driving, but yeah, 25 cents is pretty shitty regardless.

chris
11-07-2007, 06:43 PM
good, so im not crazy to think that $.25 a kilometer is bullshit. Here's the context. I'm a ski coach, the club is too cheap to buy a van, which everyone else uses to get to and from the hill. They want to cut transportation costs, so they decided to cut how much they pay me for mileage. The club is run by the people paying my fees, so inorder to save themselves money, they are taking away money from me basically

ZC_CIVIC
11-07-2007, 08:45 PM
truck drivers for Bison transport here in calgary that drive to edmonton they get paid 35c a KM plus a 30 buck hook up per trailor, and if they tow 2 53's they get 45 c a KM...so i dunno they drive company vehicals so a trip to and from etown pays a trucker 210ish bucks with a est 600 km trip. so regaurless of that i think ur getting underpaid since u are a owner operator. they should be getting paid WAY more then a company vehical driver...if ur a owner op you should get like 50+

thrasher22
11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
To hell with that, if you're a coach thats worth anything they'd rather keep you around than have you quit over something like that. It would cause a ton of stress and odds are you already have relations with the team. I'd demand that they change it to something that covers your costs at a min or you walk :dunno:

Ajay
11-07-2007, 11:16 PM
I only get 18 cents/km with my job. But I also receive a monthly payment for my vehicle and insurance on top of my mileage.

Graham_A_M
11-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by chris
good, so im not crazy to think that $.25 a kilometer is bullshit. Here's the context. I'm a ski coach, the club is too cheap to buy a van, which everyone else uses to get to and from the hill. They want to cut transportation costs, so they decided to cut how much they pay me for mileage. The club is run by the people paying my fees, so inorder to save themselves money, they are taking away money from me basically
So your driving people you dont know in YOUR car for 25c per KM?
WOW buddy, thats harsh. If it was my car, and I was the sole occupant in the car, I wouldn't mind as much, but at 60-100kph/average on those ski slope roads, and 25c per kilometer, thats pathetic to say the least. I'm surprised in a labor-hungry place like calgary that they could even concieve of keeping workers at such an insulting pay. Most companies have a hard time staying competitive and offering employees what they'd expect (financially) to come to work everyday. :nut:

adam c
11-08-2007, 12:55 AM
if i have to travel and its close enough by car then 0.44/km plus they pay for my gas. otherwise they fly me

98brg2d
11-08-2007, 01:38 PM
I get $0.85/km or a rental. If I were the op I would downsize my vehicle to prevent being able to take people with me. I have never heard of a ski club that can hire a coach not supplying a van. Even the little hills in Edmonton can afford to provide a van.
Besides the mileage costs you should have a different kind of insurance if you are using your own vehicle and transporting people as part of your job, I would check into this ASAP so you don't get screwed if you have an accident and injury to a passenger.