PDA

View Full Version : Car Prices

thw_goalie
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
My Mom is ls looking to buy a car - she just sold her old one and needs a new one. My Dad keeps saying not to because he thinks prices are going to come down.

What do you guys think?

Euro838
11-07-2007, 08:59 AM
In general, some will go down as it'll be a matter of supply vs demand. Apparently October was a slow month and coupled with the 1% GST cut for the new year, dealers are willing to lower their prices to increase sales. I'm not sure if they are actually lowering the MSRP on the cars. I think most manufacturers are waiting to see if the CAN$ will correct itself over the next 6 months. There will be plenty of rebates/incentives but I don't think that's 100% to do with the CAN$.

To answer your question, I think some of the manufacturers have already lowered there prices but I would be skeptical if they would lower it even more.

JRSC00LUDE
11-07-2007, 09:46 AM
There are some threads in the automotive news section where people are discussing pricing trends of a couple manufacturers, you may find something relevant to you there.

Tik-Tok
11-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by thw_goalie
My Mom is ls looking to buy a car - she just sold her old one and needs a new one. My Dad keeps saying not to because he thinks prices are going to come down.

What do you guys think?

There's always a better deal 6 months down the road. If you always wait for it, you'll never have a new car.

They aren't going to drastically reduce prices, it may come down over several years, but if they suddenly dropped them now, they'd lose millions of dollars on selling lease-back vehicles.

Wait till the GST drop, or go make a deal.

Anton
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

There's always a better deal 6 months down the road. If you always wait for it, you'll never have a new car.

They aren't going to drastically reduce prices, it may come down over several years, but if they suddenly dropped them now, they'd lose millions of dollars on selling lease-back vehicles.

Wait till the GST drop, or go make a deal.

Some manufacturers are also giving GST credit so even if you buy now, you will get 5% GST.

heavyD
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Everyone I talk to lately is holding off new car purchases in hopes that prices will go down comparable to US prices. Personally I don't see much more happening than the current weaksauce rebates being offered.

On the flip side if a large percentage of the population adopts this wait & see attitude and sales start to drop below average how long can the Canadian automobile industry last before they are forced to cave in?

Masked Bandit
11-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Assuming she is looking for brand new.....

See what she can find for left over 2007's. With the industry being slow right now coupled with the impending GST change, I would think you could strike a pretty good deal if you've got cash to spend.

thw_goalie
11-08-2007, 12:14 AM
She's looking to lease a car, so she's going to be looking brand new.

I'll tell her to see if she can get the 5% tax. I know a Mazda dealership is doing that (I saw an ad.)

Thanks for the help!

mikey008
11-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Come to Calgary Honda! I can also get you that 5% tax as well! And into a better car!!:thumbsup:

acslayta
11-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by mikey008
Come to Calgary Honda! I can also get you that 5% tax as well! And into a better car!!:thumbsup:

Just wondering if me, being a resident of Manitoba, could lease a car from another province, like Alberta. I'm not interested in trying to circumvent our PST, but trying to broaden the pool of dealerships I have to choose from.