PDA

View Full Version : Don't go to Canadian Tire - jeesus

r3cc0s
11-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I decided to pickup the Goodyear Nordics from CT as they really are a good tire and do perform quite well (at least based upon reviews I've seen)

Cheapest in town, next to walmarts NEXEN Winguards of which there is no stock in my size

I'm the kind of guy who does everything himself.... with the exception of tires as I don't have a balancer and really hate popping beads on/off rims

So for $451 taxes in I was to get: 4 goodyear nordics w/ install & balancing for 195/65/15s on my Golf

I bring it it... and drop it off due to their "2" day backup

I get a call later on that evening stating: They were able to remove 3 wheels, but the forth's (drivers rear) happened to not want to come out
Apparently the locking wheel lock (VW factories) was stuck and the key no longer works

well... okay so I tell them to just leave the tire out and not charge me for the balancing/install on the one tire

I go pick up the car and.... well

They happened to have "lost" the key socket...
I start asking questions as to whether they might have stripped the socket using an impact?.... no answer
They state the key is back in the foam compartment inside the spare...
Well it fucking isn't and they can't find it

Also... while driving home (i know it's a mk4 prone issue) but all of a sudden the fucking drivers window just drops down
I've been able to fit the window back into it's rail

but now... I have to go to VW, get them to order a new key and mount the tire

what a waste of my time

infected
11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Lesson learned.

teggypimp95
11-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Canadian tire kicks ass for some stuff, but everyone knows not to get your car serviced there. It just a bunch of teens working there. When i was selling my integra, i did the timing belt before i sold it. The new buyers wanted to get an inspection done at crappy tire, i advised agaist it, but they insisted. They came back with saying it needed a new timing belt lol it was 2 days old! lol. Probably still had the price tag on it

HondaRice
11-07-2007, 11:18 AM
canadian tire is good for nothing. its china tire now as everything is made in china and just poor service. if you take a car there even for TIRE servivce your asking to be abused.

www.canadiantirebattery.com

88CRX
11-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Crappy tire mounted my tires for me just fine... plus they were the only place that would do it within a day without an appointment.

Destinova403
11-07-2007, 11:39 AM
i had a different experience with them. i went in and paid for my tires and then the service manager basically said that he "didnt want to do it today" i was like... :confused: so in the end i just got the general manager to refund my money and took my buisness to Kal Tire (recomended by the way).

canadian tire :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

r3cc0s
11-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I mean honestly... how do you fuck up installing tires?

Almost every car since the late 90's with anything other than steel wheels use locking wheel nuts

I called Southcenter Veedub and they apparently have a master key that I can borrow to remove the fucking lock

HondaRice
11-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Go to Barlow and 17 Ave they have a tire mounting place its cheap and fast.

racin_jayson
11-07-2007, 11:53 AM
I almost guarantee they broke your tool and covered thier ass by saying they lost it. This is why I never let fucking monkeys work on my cars.

ashee
11-07-2007, 12:00 PM
They lost my moms car keys.

DonJuan
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Monkeys, monkeys, monkeys, I wouldn't even trust Cambodian tire to change my oil. I just buy fishing license and bait there, and thats it.

403Gemini
11-07-2007, 12:07 PM
I dont know why people would use their service bay. Honestly the only thing i ever really go there to purchase is like camping gear... thats about it.

Masked Bandit
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
I've got a client that works there and even he told me "don't ever bring your car here, I wouldn't let any of these guys work on my vehicle". What the hell does that say?

Ferio_vti
11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
You should contact the service manager

I took my Prelude wheels in loose to have the tires changed last month. They effed up all 4 wheels. 2 were pretty bad, the other 2 I can polish myself

Even tho they have a sign saying they are not responsible for any wheel damage, I still contacted the head service manager. He asked me to come in so he can see the damage. Inspite the signage, even the manager said damage to all wheels, regardless of how bad it is, is unacceptable.

He refunded me the labor and the extended warranty I paid. Tho it only covers repair for 1 wheel, that was more than what I expected from Crappy tire. Plus he mentioned fired the guy that installed/balanced my tires.

This was at Country Hills Blvd FTW. Sam is the Service manager. Their evening service guy at the counter is really good too. I forget his name, brown guy with a beard.

In any case, it's a hit and miss. Especially with labour turnover so high right now. You might be lucky/unlucky to get a good/bad service tech working on your car.

Ferio_vti
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I've got a client that works there and even he told me "don't ever bring your car here, I wouldn't let any of these guys work on my vehicle". What the hell does that say?

Also, I heard from a friend that works at Dalhousie, one of the service guys (manger or a guy at the counter) punched a customer. Dalhousie is THE worst location by far.

ninjak84
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Two sides to every story ....
Probably doesn't apply here, but just venting :)

When I was installing rims, my favorite customer was the asshole who brings in his beater Honda. He orders cheap chrome wheels, then insists on having the cheapest tire money can buy. When you go to work on bullshit cars like that, you'll often find the owner has already made a mess of the lugs. Stripped heads ... Seized bolts ... Over/under torqued .... Signs the retard has tried (and failed) many times at simple tasks.

This was the customer who always made the biggest deal about getting things "done right". :rolleyes: What a joke. Whenever shit-stains like that would ask to hang around the garage and watch me work, I always laughed, and sent them to the door. I never understood why they want to watch, when they don't even care enough about the car to get the body kit painted.

Funny how a guy can come in and drop $10k on forged wheels & tires for his CLS55 AMG, and leave it with me for the day. Then you get some welfare case come in, and want to watch his AKUZA's get mounted with NEXEN's with a magnifying glass :rofl: :rofl:

/vent

ps: No. I never worked at Canadian Tire.

Tik-Tok
11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I dont know why people would use their service bay. Honestly the only thing i ever really go there to purchase is like camping gear... thats about it.

Are you kidding me? you're missing out on some sweet spinner hubcaps with laser level's!

JRSC00LUDE
11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Even on the off chance that Jesus is reading this forum today, I doubt you could tell him where to take his business.

403Gemini
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Are you kidding me? you're missing out on some sweet spinner hubcaps with laser level's!

fuck that, i get those at wal-mart

topmade
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I got my wheels balanced at country hills CT and I couldn't get the bolts off with my 240ft lb impact wrench. I was like WTF!! I had to use the lug wrench and step on it to get them all off and re-torque them correctly.

urban.one
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Canadian Tire in general has gone down hill.

Terrible service. Terrible return and exchange policy.

And each store is independently owned so its really hit or miss with each location as to what to expect.

I used to like CT and spent a lot of money there but these days I wont buy anything other than oil, garbage bags, and other cheap disposable stuff along those lines.

funkedelic
11-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Even on the off chance that Jesus is reading this forum today, I doubt you could tell him where to take his business.

hahaha my name is Jesus (Spanish btw not Geesus) and i wouldn't take my business to canadian tire.

zoik
11-07-2007, 01:29 PM
i remember my dad went to get tires from CT. told them he wanted one of the fronts left as the spare and paid for 4 balance/mount. gets the car, there's no tire in the trunk. so he goes back inside, and asks them where is the spare. They drove the car back into the garage, and out. go outside and they threw just the tire in the truck. not even giving us the rim back. go inside tell them again, so they throw the rim in the truck on top of the tire. so back inside again... oh you only paid for 4 balance/mounts... take that wheel that we wanted as a spare as it was on the car, put in truck as spare, take the wheel in the truck and the other 3 wheels out and put the new tires on them... i guess that was still too hard to understand!

and a heads up to anyone with a mazda with a bolt lock bought from mazda. those bolt locks seize on steelies.

bobby_lu
11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Canadian Tire in general has gone down hill.

Terrible service. Terrible return and exchange policy.

Im pretty sure its 90 day return policy, I dont know what you define as suck, but thats a hell of lot longer than some other places...

D911
11-07-2007, 02:24 PM
hah This doesnt seem any crappier than my experienec at walmart last week.

Shit, i guess it was my fault for even thinking they were competent.

I go in to get one set of tires switched from one set of wheels to the wheels on my car, first they wont let me make the appointment and come back later.. so I drop off my car at 8am, and they say it'll be ready at 2.

I go back at 4, my car hasnt been touched yet..so i go in and ask whats up? They say they're "backedup" so im like...ok...well you're already 2hrs late on my tire swap, ask how long it'll be, they say another 1.5hrs, im like..fuck fine, Im gonna be late for work but i can still make it..

1.5hrs later i go in to check on my car and leave, i see them drive my car onto the lift...now im pissed, how the fuck can you be that slow with a car you're already late on?

they say it'll be another 2hrs...so all in all the fuckers were 6 hrs late screwing me over on my shift, and they wouldnt do shit for me, charged me fullcost and the manager was a huge douchebag. never going to walmart ever for any type of service, terrible expereience there. the guy couldnt give me any legit reason for being 6 hrs late, other than "backed up with orders" and said that "2pm was only an estimate"...such bullshit.

bignerd
11-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I had Country Hills CT change my old all seasons on steelies to winters (whatever the CT brand of winters are-their best ones) and I had zero problems. Car was done on time, nothing missing, no over-torqued wheels, like everyone else says with the high staff turn-over it is probably a crap shoot who you get to do the work.

This is the only work I have ever had done at CT.

Ferio_vti
11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by D911
hah This doesnt seem any crappier than my experienec at walmart last week.

I KNOW for a fact that Wal-mart hires bottom of the barrel. I knew this fat loser that worked at the shawnessy location. He became the service manager by default, everyone above him quit. He signed a service job with out checking the work. Next thing, the customer's wheel go flying off the car.

Akagi Redsuns
11-07-2007, 03:49 PM
And this is the place I have to take a car to be inspected if I import it from the US? Ouch.

MilanoRedTeg
11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
I went to C-Tire for a couple of small things including a rotating the tires. I pick up my car drive home and theres a loud ass thumping noise and the ride is very bumpy. I immediately pull into certigard thinking something major happened, certigard gets back to me the next day and says "your lucky, somebody forgot to tighten the lug nuts on your wheels." So basically I was a few miuntes away for literally the wheels falling off my car. I couldn't believe it.

msommers
11-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by infected
Lesson learned.

Nicely put.:thumbsup:

01RedDX
11-07-2007, 06:47 PM

VetteRacin
11-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
And this is the place I have to take a car to be inspected if I import it from the US? Ouch.

there are many other oop shops.

CivicTunr
11-07-2007, 11:23 PM
i suggest going to a kaltire, they have great service most of the time, but they are really busy now w/ all the tires being switched/changed over for winter.

edit: oh and kaltire beside sait, i know does OOP's

Impreza
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
I need some fairly nice wheels mounted on tires. I am pretty anal about them, since they are brand new. Where is a good reliable place to mount the tires besides TireCraft on macleod? (bad experience there)

nikka
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM
some guy i worked with in the summer was telling me how he worked there when he was in high school. he said one day he shows up for work and theres 2 cars piled on each other.. i guess the idiots there didnt know how to lift a car and fell right off onto another one. He quit very shortly after that.

funkedelic
11-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by VetteRacin

FOr the oop you can take it somewhere else, TRUE.

BUT you need to take it there for your out of country inspection

jsn
11-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:rofl: I went to crappy tire to look for those plastic spinners as a gag gift. I was quite disappointed to find out they stopped selling them. I guess there's a line that even craptire won't cross.

Akagi Redsuns
11-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by VetteRacin

According to RIV ( http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html ), Canadian Tire is the only place you can go. Thankfully it's only an inspection, so they wouldn't actually be doing any work on the car and I would be there at all times....but still.

# The RIV has contracted with Canadian Tire, with 430 locations across Canada, to perform our federal inspections. In many cases, Canadian Tire can perform certain modification work, as well as performing the provincial inspection.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic

FOr the oop you can take it somewhere else, TRUE.

BUT you need to take it there for your out of country inspection

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

According to RIV ( http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html ), Canadian Tire is the only place you can go. Thankfully it's only an inspection, so they wouldn't actually be doing any work on the car and I would be there at all times....but still.

Already stated.

zoik
11-08-2007, 09:32 AM
here's a good walmart story. i used to work at one, and one day we hear about one of the guys drove a car off the hoist. he told everyone that he accidently popped the clutch, the car went flying forward and almost killed another guy working there. what made this even funnier is that this was my uncle's car! it's an automatic....

the boys working in the shop there don't need any certification to work on cars. that's why they only do tires and oil changes.

VetteRacin
11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
I need some fairly nice wheels mounted on tires. I am pretty anal about them, since they are brand new. Where is a good reliable place to mount the tires besides TireCraft on macleod? (bad experience there)

If the wheels are new and don't currently have tires on them then I suggest the tirecraft in ogden.

Arthur Dent
11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I had the guys in Airdrie snap off a wheel bolt on my Triumph Spitfire after I specially asked them not to use air tools. :banghead:

modded46
11-09-2007, 01:42 PM
I got a good deal on gear wrenches from CT.. so I was happy about that.. :)

r3cc0s
11-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Fun times...
dropped the car off at another mechanics

they inspect the damage
As Veedubs use bolts instead of typical socket keys to remove, and as it was as badly stripped as it was

I was charged $250 in labour to chisle out the bolt... and replace it

I'm thinking of freaking out at the store mgr tomorrow

ScottysZ
11-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Also, I heard from a friend that works at Dalhousie, one of the service guys (manger or a guy at the counter) punched a customer. Dalhousie is THE worst location by far.

Hahahahah, I worked there when I was 16. Not in the garage/shop/whatever, but i hung around there a lot whenever I was trying to not be around my fucking idiot boss. And ya, I would never bring ANYTHING there. Those idiots use the impact gun on everything, never check torque ratings, and generally strip, scratch, and wreck anything they touch.

That location is hugely fucked. Apparently the customer service manager got arrested last year for stealing over $50,000 from the safe. Brilliant. :rofl: