PDA

View Full Version : Stock boost gauge problems.

heavyD
11-07-2007, 11:49 AM
My car is 100% stock and I have noticed that the stock boost gauge isn't working properly. It sits at the bottom of the scale at all times (even with car off and key in the ignition). It will show boost when I put load on the vehicle but it's delayed. I assume the problem lies in the 2 bar MAP sensor (p/n: 89420-17030). I don't want to waste $250 on a new one and know the stock gauge is useless.

My question is if the ECU uses the voltage output of the MAP sensor for boost control because if so on my stock car I'm probably going to lose performance as well as effect fuel cut. I am I going to be forced to pay for this part?

mr2mike
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
The stock boost gauge is notorious for being slow to cut in and the accuracy is slim to none. I mean it tells you if it is on boost but nothing like what psi or bar it really is boosting at.

I believe the ECU realizes the voltage change instantaneous. It is just the boost gauge that is the slow thing. I wouldn't waste money on a new sensor as it won't make a difference. I would look at getting a aftermarket boost gauge which will show very close to instant boost levels.

They make an Omori boost gauge that wil fit in the stock location but requires some work to get it in there. Not too hard if you're mechanically able.

heavyD
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
I just ordered an AEM tru-boost gauge/boost controller off ebay. It was cheaper than the MAP sensor LOL!

avow
11-08-2007, 12:10 PM
word. i should get a boost gauge as well. that would really make things better lol. that stock gauge is a joke.