PDA

View Full Version : Is monday a holiday?

Melinda
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I know Sunday is rememberance day but is monday a stat because rememberance day falls on the weekend?

JRSC00LUDE
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
It is in SK, I know that much.

Masked Bandit
11-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Yes.

The banks will be closed.

anarchy
11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
I get the day off, but I know some people who don't.

urban.one
11-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Depends what province you live in. Ontario and Quebec its not. Markets will be open so depending on your field that means a lot of offices across the country will be working.

USED1
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
My GF is a teacher out in Bearspaw and they are in school on Monday. My company has given the day off.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I get it off from SAIT. My sister gets off of hs :dunno:

topmade
11-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Depends on your company, we work, but in lieu get xmas eve and new years eve off.

Machi
11-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Depends on your company, we work, but in lieu get xmas eve and new years eve off.

same here

leec001
11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Sunday is a Stat Holiday, not Monday.

Remembrance Day
This year, Remembrance Day is on Sunday, November 11. Under Alberta's Employment Standards legislation, the following rules apply:

If you normally work Sundays and are given Remembrance Day off, then you are entitled to a regular daily wage.

If you normally work Sundays and work Remembrance Day, then you are entitled to your regular daily wage plus time-and-a-half for all hours worked, or your regular wage for each hour worked on the holiday, plus another regular work day off with pay.

If you normally have Sundays off but you work on Remembrance Day, then you are entitled to pay at a rate of time-and-a-half of your regular wage for all hours worked.

If you normally have Sundays off and do not work on Remembrance Day, then you are not entitled to general holiday pay and are not entitled to an extra day off. However, you may receive general holiday pay or an extra day off if it is a part of your employment contract or a part of a union agreement. Please check with your employer.

To be eligible for general holiday pay, employees:

must have worked 30 days for their employer in the preceding 12 months,

must work their scheduled shift before and after the holiday (unless employer consent is given), and

must work on the general holiday if requested.
Click here for more information.

All Alberta government offices will be closed on Monday, November 12, 2007.

http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde/xchg/hre/hs.xsl/5559.html

Thaco
11-07-2007, 04:07 PM
it is techincally a holiday, however Quebec and Ontario(of all places our capital does not acknowledge our soldiers) do not observe it, a lot of companies will give you the monday following off, other companies will give you a day off in lieu (usually taken at xmas) however i'm not sure about the legal "stat holiday" classification

Splooge
11-07-2007, 04:51 PM
i don't get it off but my company is making up for it during Christmas

Euro838
11-07-2007, 04:59 PM
If you are a contractor, there is no such thing as a paid holiday :)

sputnik
11-07-2007, 05:08 PM
short answer...

Rememberance Day is NOT a stat holiday.

longer answer...

Depending on the company you work for you sometimes get Monday off or a day at Christmas time (usually Christmas Eve) off instead.

ga16i
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
kind of...
http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde/xchg/hre/hs.xsl/5559.html
with regards to whether or not you should have sunday off:
This year, Remembrance Day is on Sunday, November 11. Under Alberta's Employment Standards legislation, the following rules apply:

* If you normally work Sundays and are given Remembrance Day off, then you are entitled to a regular daily wage.

* If you normally work Sundays and work Remembrance Day, then you are entitled to your regular daily wage plus time-and-a-half for all hours worked, or your regular wage for each hour worked on the holiday, plus another regular work day off with pay.

* If you normally have Sundays off but you work on Remembrance Day, then you are entitled to pay at a rate of time-and-a-half of your regular wage for all hours worked.

* If you normally have Sundays off and do not work on Remembrance Day, then you are not entitled to general holiday pay and are not entitled to an extra day off. However, you may receive general holiday pay or an extra day off if it is a part of your employment contract or a part of a union agreement. Please check with your employer.

edit: I swear I didn't see that posted already :banghead:

AquamosH
11-07-2007, 09:25 PM
We get this Friday off.

TomcoPDR
11-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
My sister gets off in hs :dunno:
I miss school :cry:

Originally posted by Euro838

:werd: so depressing :cry: Oh well, least we get paid for the work we do.

smontyLS1
11-08-2007, 01:12 AM
all members of the calgary motor dealers association do not give a day for rememberance day because they give boxing day instead..... only one or the other they couldn't possibly give 2 days off work. that would be catastophic..

Mangina
11-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Euro838

I miss paid holidays. :cry:

JordanEG6
11-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by topmade

same, but in lieu the 27th. Christmas Eve and New Years eve are off as a given. But at the end, it wouldn't matter to me, I'm a contractor, I dont get paid for those days off. BOOOO.