PDA

View Full Version : chinese superstitions - tattoo related

l/l/rX
11-07-2007, 11:27 PM
this is for the traditional chinese people out there that are on this forum.

so im getting a full back piece tattoo done in the near future here.

i pretty much have the whole tattoo drawn out on paper.

but im just wanting to know what are some chinese superstitions of what NOT to get tattoo'd.

i would ask my mom, buuuuut they don't really know that im getting a tattoo, cuz if they did, they would kick my ass.

the only one i've heard of is, getting a chinese god of war tattoo'd on you is bad luck.

my tattoo does have a chinese warrior in it based on a god of war, just customized so that it doesnt look exactly like it.

like im wondering should there be a certain shape the dragon should be in?

i dont want to put something on my back, and when my parents eventually see it and after my ass beating, they wont say "why'd you put that on your back?! its such bad luck!" etc etc.

thanks!

infected
11-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Make sure he isn't wearing a green hat.
HAHAHA

Super_Geo
11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
A full back tattoo man? Like how big is this thing going to be?

Not to harp on your decision if you're really into this... cause if you are then it's probably for a good reason, but maybe get something more discrete than a full back tattoo? Or get one that exactly fits the edges of a wifebeater and just always wear one around when you get older :D

TomcoPDR
11-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Careful with those dragon tattoos, someday you might be wearing a wife beater and ppl might think you're part of their gang (or rival gang)

What's wrong with getting those "tough guy" barb wire arm bands? :rofl:

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
A full back tattoo man? Like how big is this thing going to be?

Not to harp on your decision if you're really into this... cause if you are then it's probably for a good reason, but maybe get something more discrete than a full back tattoo? Or get one that exactly fits the edges of a wifebeater and just always wear one around when you get older :D

literally my whole back. it'll go no higher than the neck line of a t-shirt.

i also want to add a carp fish (aka koi in jap terms) on my side, although i hear it hurts like hell, it'll add some nice finishing touches to the whole thing. but this'll be done after my back is completed.

there is meaning behind the whole tattoo. I'd say im 60% in it for the meaning and 40% in it for the artwork.

hope i dont disappoint you to much. :D haha

ctruo
11-08-2007, 12:58 AM
my mom is bad for saying stupid stuff.. But she told me to not get a tattoo beacuse one day the tattoo will start talking to me.

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Careful with those dragon tattoos, someday you might be wearing a wife beater and ppl might think you're part of their gang (or rival gang)

if people cant see tattoos as being more part of the art culture yet, then they're the kind of people that are always going to be living in fear. thats how i see it.

and honestly im sure many people can vouch that i look FAR from gangster. no piercings, i wear glasses (most of the time, which make me look pretty geeky). i dont have any resemblance as to what your stereotypical gangster would be like.

That.Guy.S30
11-08-2007, 01:03 AM
count how many fingers the dragon has. i think its supposed to be 4 or 5. the lesser the fingers means that its not a dragon but a snake.

no gods for sure. make sure everything is 'facing' the right way.

infected
11-08-2007, 01:06 AM
the number of fingers determine the gender

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by infected
the number of fingers determine the gender

how many determine the male?

Super_Geo
11-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

... please don't beyond as your only form of research on a question like that...

That.Guy.S30
11-08-2007, 01:25 AM
ok.. im not sure if this is right but my google expertise shoes me that chinese dragons will have 5 toes. japanese will have 3. beleif that the further they flew away from the origin the more toes they lost.

as for dragon gender, it depends on what the dragon is holding onto on its tail. male=club. female=fan

chinese has a water-snake, also has dragons. different kinds.

infected
11-08-2007, 01:27 AM
i believe its 5

barmanjay
11-08-2007, 01:32 AM
From what I've read

typical dragon talons have 3-4 "toes",.. however a dragon of royal/powerful decent will have 5

Zephyr
11-08-2007, 02:09 AM
becareful with some animals on the back, if you plan on visiting Japan in the future....

lastskpirate
11-08-2007, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by infected
Make sure he isn't wearing a green hat.
HAHAHA

my dad used to say that to me....but to this day i still dont know why a green hat is bad...

does anyone know why?

DarkDream
11-08-2007, 05:10 AM
if you translate "the green hat" in chinese its a saying...

Datsun-Fever
11-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Sorry, Gwai Lo advice, but if you get a full back it should have meaning, significance, not just look cool. You might regret it later if its just a cool looking tatty.

icecreamvan
11-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Get a giant barcode like the popular kids. :thumbsup: :rofl:

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever
Sorry, Gwai Lo advice, but if you get a full back it should have meaning, significance, not just look cool. You might regret it later if its just a cool looking tatty.

there is meaning behind the whole tattoo. I'd say im 60% in it for the meaning and 40% in it for the artwork.

good enough? i honestly love japanese styled tattoos. by the time i actually get my tattoo, it would be a year of sitting around gathering ideas etc. so a year of contemplating of what to get is IMO some serious thought into this tattoo.

this is my artist i plan to go to.

www.jefftam.com
www.myspace.com/monkeykingtattoos
he tattoos for monkey king tattoo in vancouver.

there were only 2 other artists i wanted to get tattooed by here in calgary, they were Paul Jefferies of Smiling Buddha or James Tex of Deadly Tattoos, both are not taking in any new appointments.
then i saw jeff at the tattoo convention where he was a featured artist. fell in love with his stuff. decided that ill get my work done by him.

JRSC00LUDE
11-08-2007, 09:39 AM
^

I'm excited to see pics when you are done. Don't let people tell you that it's stupid, you'll regret it, etc. etc. If you're mature and you've planned it out then go for it. I can't imagine regretting any of mine yet and will be getting more (finishing a full sleeve this winter). From my point of view, when you put thought into what you get it ultimately becomes a tapestry of your life.

:thumbsup:

Edit - Of course, looney tune tats and fag-ass armbands are another thing altogether......:rofl:

sputnik
11-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

HAHAHA. The greatest douchebag tattoo of all time. That along with any "tribal design".

Splooge
11-08-2007, 09:55 AM

the only one i've heard of is, getting a chinese god of war tattoo'd on you is bad luck.

my tattoo does have a chinese warrior in it based on a god of war, just customized so that it doesnt look exactly like it.

you're getting General Kwan? dude that's gangster! lol i was actually contemplating getting the red faced general as well, but decided against it cuz my friends said it was too G.

http://www.hingsingschool.com/img/index_Genkuan1.jpg

other than the triad connection i don't see it being superstitious

01RedDX
11-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Datsun-Fever
11-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I wasnt trying to discourage it at all, just giving my opinion but it seems that you have put lots of thought into it! make sure you post pics after every session dude!!!! good luck!

Trini
11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I know this is a long shot but has anyone gotten a Tattoo from Halo Body Art Tattoo in Toronto?

kaishen
11-08-2007, 10:20 AM
can imagine ur tattoos being stretched. dragons becoming larger dragons if u grow bigger and fatter next time, haha u been watching too match miami ink?

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Splooge

you're getting the gwan gung? dude that's gangster! lol i was actually contemplating getting the red faced general as well, but decided against it cuz its too goo wak jai.

http://www.hingsingschool.com/img/index_Genkuan1.jpg

other than the triad connection i don't see it being superstitious

i would love to get a warlord/ military figure from the Romance of Three Kingdoms Era ie) Cao Cao, Lu Meng, Sun Jian etc etc. but since its bad luck im just gonna kind of freestyle my warrior.

chinese history is so rich, so many different dynasties, different military figures etc etc.

ricosuave

one :nut:

01RedDX

ricosuave
11-08-2007, 10:29 AM
^ for more than one reason!

JRSC00LUDE
11-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by kaishen
can imagine ur tattoos being stretched. dragons becoming larger dragons if u grow bigger and fatter next time, haha u been watching too match miami ink?

Have you ever seen traditional japanese body suits after they're 20 or 30 years old? Guess not. In the world of big pieces from a good artist that does good tattooing, they become better with age not worse. Loose, well defined artwork with flow just takes on a life of it's own so to speak as time passes.

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by kaishen

i really dont think ill be growing anymore, i've grown dick all since gr 11. i really dont think my back will stretch that much. I've literally gained 5-6 lbs since gr 10.

but that is a reason why i want to get my whole back, a LITTLE less detail, bigger spaces in between lines which would call on to get my whole back done. :)

01RedDX
11-08-2007, 10:41 AM

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

I'm excited to see pics when you are done. Don't let people tell you that it's stupid, you'll regret it, etc. etc. If you're mature and you've planned it out then go for it. I can't imagine regretting any of mine yet and will be getting more (finishing a full sleeve this winter). From my point of view, when you put thought into what you get it ultimately becomes a tapestry of your life.

:thumbsup:

Edit - Of course, looney tune tats and fag-ass armbands are another thing altogether......:rofl:

sick man...i want a half/ quarter sleeve soo bad, but i dont think it'll fly to well in the work place. post some pics!

89coupe
11-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Nothing like a tattoo when you are old and wrinkly.

MintRacer
11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

damn rights.. u can show off to your grand kids... helps to have some props for those.. " you know when I was your age... " stories..

interlude
11-08-2007, 11:47 AM
this is for the traditional chinese people out there that are on this forum.

so im getting a full back piece tattoo done in the near future here.

i pretty much have the whole tattoo drawn out on paper.

but im just wanting to know what are some chinese superstitions of what NOT to get tattoo'd.

i would ask my mom, buuuuut they don't really know that im getting a tattoo, cuz if they did, they would kick my ass.

like im wondering should there be a certain shape the dragon should be in?

i dont want to put something on my back, and when my parents eventually see it and after my ass beating, they wont say "why'd you put that on your back?! its such bad luck!" etc etc.

thanks!

No Matter what you put on your back.. they will say your crazy! and that its bad luck. Thats just how Chinese parents roll!

JRSC00LUDE
11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

By the time I'm 70-80 and the areas I have tattooed are actually wrinkly I likely won't care about what people think. That is if I'm even still around by then. :)

MintRacer
11-08-2007, 11:54 AM

By the time I'm 70-80 and the areas I have tattooed are actually wrinkly I likely won't care about what people think. That is if I'm even still around by then. :)

I'm in my 20's now and I still dont' care what ppls think about what I have tattoo'ed and where.

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by interlude

No Matter what you put on your back.. they will say your crazy! and that its bad luck. Thats just how Chinese parents roll!

haha that is true, but then sooner or later they're gonna have to live with it. so later on they probably won't be as pissed, but just critisise it for what i shouldn't of got done in what shape or form.

JRSC00LUDE
11-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by MintRacer

I'm in my 20's now and I still dont' care what ppls think about what I have tattoo'ed and where.

Me neither and I'm in my 30's. I was just implying that it takes a very, very long time to get old and wrinkly usually. Shit my grandpa died at 73 and his arms and back etc. looked to be in as good of shape as mine.

Tattoo's on arms, back, legs are just good incentives to stay in shape so they always look good! Even I'm not gonna chance getting any on my chest/stomach thoug!

Redlyne_mr2
11-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Get whatever you want tattooed on you in chinese as long as youre asian .. which you are. White people who get chinese characters as tatoos are so hurtin.

eb0i
11-08-2007, 12:21 PM
...if your parents don't want you to do it, perhaps you shouldn't? Well don't do it until you move out at least. Just out of respect for them.

Splooge
11-08-2007, 12:52 PM
remember its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission haha. that's what i did when i got my tattoo...though i hid it for a month or so.

MintRacer
11-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Me neither and I'm in my 30's. I was just implying that it takes a very, very long time to get old and wrinkly usually. Shit my grandpa died at 73 and his arms and back etc. looked to be in as good of shape as mine.

Tattoo's on arms, back, legs are just good incentives to stay in shape so they always look good! Even I'm not gonna chance getting any on my chest/stomach thoug!

Ahhh no guts no glory... buddie had his nick name done on this stomach like the OG rappers style.. but now he's fat soo he's got MACK stretched out over his stomach bwahaha...

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
remember its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission haha. that's what i did when i got my tattoo...though i hid it for a month or so.

haha that is soo true. and that is what im planning on doing. although, i dont know how long until they see it...i think id give myself a good week before my ass kicking comes along.

Originally posted by MintRacer
Ahhh no guts no glory... buddie had his nick name done on this stomach like the OG rappers style.. but now he's fat soo he's got MACK stretched out over his stomach bwahaha...[/B]

that is the most stupidest thing to do, unless if you're absolutely committed to keeping fit. one of my gf's has some italian words tattooed across her stomach tupac styles. looks hot right now, but man if she ever gets pregnant HAHA.

my other gf got the side of her stomach tattooed...a person commented on her facebook picture saying "what if you get pregnant?!"

her response..."im gonna be one those hot mama's that dont get fat after they have kids LOL like Victoria Beckham bwahahaa" ...uuuh are you kind of stupid...a baby makes your stomach expand 0_o haha made me laugh.

dropdat
11-08-2007, 02:30 PM

Have you ever seen traditional japanese body suits after they're 20 or 30 years old? Guess not. In the world of big pieces from a good artist that does good tattooing, they become better with age not worse. Loose, well defined artwork with flow just takes on a life of it's own so to speak as time passes.

Ive been working on a full japanese body suit for about 8 years now and my tattoos haven't faded, color or anything. I know a few guys in their 50's and 60's with lots of tattoos and lots of theirs look great still.

As for tattoos stretching and starting to look stupid as you get bigger, i don't think there's much truth to that; I started getting tattooed when i was 15 and weighed around 130lbs and now that I've grown into myself I'm about 210 and about 6 inches taller and my tattoos didn't stretch out in weird ways or anything, not on my legs,chest,stomach,back or arms atleast.

Edit: good luck with your back too. I got my whole back and side outlined close to 3 years ago and still havent gotten color done because the pain was so shitty, that I've just focused on other parts of my body

l/l/rX
11-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by dropdat

Ive been working on a full japanese body suit for about 8 years now and my tattoos haven't faded, color or anything. I know a few guys in their 50's and 60's with lots of tattoos and lots of theirs look great still.

Edit: good luck with your back too. I got my whole back and side outlined close to 3 years ago and still havent gotten color done because the pain was so shitty, that I've just focused on other parts of my body

damn tattoo sounds sweet. check pm! haha

ya i've decided that im just going to go black and white on my tattoo. im just going to color in the eyes.

haha 3 years eh? still not finished...i really wonder how long i can sit for.

JRSC00LUDE
11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
^

The most I sat for at once was about 7 hours. My arm is black/grey and white as well! When I get the whole thing finished sometime this winter I'll get professional pics taken and then post them all up. Expect to wait a few months though!

l/l/rX
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
artistically...tattoos dont have to make any sense right?

kaishen
11-10-2007, 11:29 AM
how abt a michael scoffield kinda of tattoo hee

5t3v3
11-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Get whatever you want tattooed on you in chinese as long as youre asian .. which you are. White people who get chinese characters as tatoos are so hurtin.

What if the white guy actually speaks Chinese?
Is it then acceptable to you?

What about a Chinese getting a Japanese tattoo?
That doesn't sit too well either, does it?

What's important in my opinion is to understand the meaning of the symbol you decide to wear. Ultimately that's what it is; A symbol, a representation or interpretation.

GQBalla
11-12-2007, 11:56 PM
^^^ depends i would say.

what do you classify a japanese tattoo? like a koi or something?

or kanji? because kanji is almost the exact same as chinese.

Splooge
11-13-2007, 01:18 PM

haha that is soo true. and that is what im planning on doing. although, i dont know how long until they see it...i think id give myself a good week before my ass kicking comes along.

since its a back piece you can probably hide it for awhile. unless you walk around with a beater or shirtless all the time. my friend has a back piece and his parents have no idea.

l/l/rX
11-13-2007, 02:16 PM

since its a back piece you can probably hide it for awhile. unless you walk around with a beater or shirtless all the time. my friend has a back piece and his parents have no idea.

haha but its gonna be in the summer, and im always shirtless or in a beater during the summer. i have like 15 beaters...my parents will think im weird when im wearing a t-shirt in 30+ degree weather.

Laoz
09-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ctruo
my mom is bad for saying stupid stuff.. But she told me to not get a tattoo beacuse one day the tattoo will start talking to me.
hahahah

KRyn
09-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Post up the picture of the work you want to get done! I am currently getting everything together for my first tat. It is also going to be on my back and be very big!

Kaos
09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
good enough? i honestly love japanese styled tattoos. by the time i actually get my tattoo, it would be a year of sitting around gathering ideas etc. so a year of contemplating of what to get is IMO some serious thought into this tattoo.

this is my artist i plan to go to.

www.jefftam.com
www.myspace.com/monkeykingtattoos
he tattoos for monkey king tattoo in vancouver.

there were only 2 other artists i wanted to get tattooed by here in calgary, they were Paul Jefferies of Smiling Buddha or James Tex of Deadly Tattoos, both are not taking in any new appointments.
then i saw jeff at the tattoo convention where he was a featured artist. fell in love with his stuff. decided that ill get my work done by him.
Great artist's! The monkey king tattoo did my friends full sleeve.
Unbelievably great work.
I'm actually getting my back done by James Tex in November. I'm glad I made a good choice.
If you are going down to Vancouver as well, go to Dutchman Tattoo's.

van
09-05-2008, 07:38 AM
I hear it's bad luck to have the dragon facing inwards instead of outwards. Something to do with the dragon fighting you or something... or you fighting yourself I can't remember exactly.