PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car from Cali, what should I get?

Super_Geo
11-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey guys, I'm flying down to LA in about two weeks and I'm set on buying a car to bring back up. My budget is around $25,000-30,000. So far it's a toss up betwee:

2004 BMW 330Ci w/ ~50,000-60,000kms, listed at $26,000USD
2006 Lexus IS350 w/ ~50,000-60,000kms, listed at $31,000USD

The general idea is to drive it for a year and maybe sell it next fall hoping to break even. I think both the 330Ci and IS350 are in the high 30s/low 40s for a similar Canadian car. If I can't sell it to break even, I wouldn't mind keeping it... but I'd probably go with the 330Ci as it's cheaper.

What are your thoughts? Any other cars in this class that I should be looking at? I thought about getting an Acura TL, but I don't like how it's FWD... and I don't particulairly like the G35. What would you guys get in the same price range?

arian_ma
11-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Why don't you look at the M3 instead of the 330? For about 30K USD you can find a pretty good one with decent mileage. Audi's out of the question for you? The S4/A4 seems like a pretty good car for a decent price.

benyl
11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Why don't you look at the M3 instead of the 330? For about 30K USD you can find a pretty good one with decent mileage. Audi's out of the question for you? The S4/A4 seems like a pretty good car for a decent price.

M3: No you can't. Everything for $30K is junk.

S4: They just went on the inadmissible list.

em2ab
11-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Base price on a brand new 2008 IS350 is $35,000.

E36M3
11-08-2007, 01:45 PM
The BMW is a much better car. Stretching a couple k for an M3 might be an even better option if you can manage it, although the 330 is fantastic and you won't be disappointed.

USED1
11-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by benyl

M3: No you can't. Everything for $30K is junk.

S4: They just went on the inadmissible list.

Only certain ones are on the inadmissable list. Anything built after November 2004 is admissable.

Super_Geo
11-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
The S4/A4 seems like a pretty good car for a decent price.

I find the styling on the A4/S4 to be a bit bland... they've stepped it up with the newest gen but the older ones form the early 2000s look like something my parents would drive.

Originally posted by em2ab

I know... and here in Canada it's $51,000, with the premium @ $62,000. I test drove one last weekend and was pretty impressed with it... though I have a mortgage to pay and if I get stuck with a $35,000 car (if I can't sell it a year or two later without taking a big hit) it might not be the smartest financian decision in the long run... but it'd be one fuck of a fun car to drive in the mean time :D

rc2002
11-08-2007, 01:58 PM

It's too bad Lexus won't sell brand new ones to Canadians. I called and asked just two days ago.

benyl
11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

It's too bad Lexus won't sell brand new ones to Canadians. I called and asked just two days ago.

Where did you call? I am thinking of getting one. Wondering if you call a dealer further south... if they will sell it to you.

GTS Jeff
11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Used car lot cars - beat to shit and never a great deal
Private sales - all have leins on them

rc2002
11-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Where did you call? I am thinking of getting one. Wondering if you call a dealer further south... if they will sell it to you.

I called Spokane. I figured an 7-8 hour drive to pick up a car would be nice. I'm not sure about the States further south - I think I may just buy used instead.

Super_Geo
11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
^ Yeah that's what I'm thinking... buy one that's a year or two old so there shouldn't be a bunch of things wrong with it.

Though... Jeff, are you fucking around or is shit really that bad down there?

Weapon_R
11-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I've seen a couple Is350s for around 32k. Many AWD IS250s are listing for around 28kish

Given that the IS300 was pretty comparable to a 3 series E46, I'd expect the Is250 to be even better. It's nicer looking, newer, less common, and more reliable.

My vote is for the Lexus. Test them both :)

GTS Jeff
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
^ Yeah that's what I'm thinking... buy one that's a year or two old so there shouldn't be a bunch of things wrong with it.

Though... Jeff, are you fucking around or is shit really that bad down there? Dead serious brah.

Aleks
11-08-2007, 02:43 PM
What is the deal with used US cars here? I know in the past they all had lower resale because they were from US. I certainly would only buy one if the savings were passed on. Otherwise I'd pick up the CND model if prices and condition were similar.

benyl
11-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Every M3 I checkout in Cali from a used car lot had something wrong with it. Usually accidents. The ones what didn't have accidents were really expensive (comparatively). The good cheap ones go before you make the phone call.

Get yourself Autocheck and Carfax. Sometimes an accident would show up on one, but not the other.

Tik-Tok
11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by USED1

Only certain ones are on the inadmissable list. Anything built after November 2004 is admissable.

Almost, gotta be careful...

Inadmissable

2000 TO 2002 S4
2004 TO 2006 S4 Cabriolet with 4.2L V8 ENGINE
2004 AND 2005 S4 Sedan and Wagon built to November 2004 with 4th digit of VIN either P or X

So a 2003 is ok, and only certain 04-05's.

but moot point since he doesn't like the styling.

I looked at some M3's while in Louisiana for a week (in the hopes I could flip it back here), all the ones on used lots were BAGGED, I didn't feel comfortable trying to flip one of those. Even ones that didn't have flood damage in their carfax history weren't too great.

nbaker0
11-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Almost, gotta be careful...

Inadmissable

2000 TO 2002 S4
2004 TO 2006 S4 Cabriolet with 4.2L V8 ENGINE
2004 AND 2005 S4 Sedan and Wagon built to November 2004 with 4th digit of VIN either P or X

So a 2003 is ok, and only certain 04-05's.

but moot point since he doesn't like the styling.

I looked at some M3's while in Louisiana for a week (in the hopes I could flip it back here), all the ones on used lots were BAGGED, I didn't feel comfortable trying to flip one of those. Even ones that didn't have flood damage in their carfax history weren't too great.

ALL S4's have a V8 engine. I don't know why they put that on RIV "except V8 engine"
and no S4's were made in 2003 model year.
Therefore no S4's can come in period.

GTS Jeff
11-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
What is the deal with used US cars here? I know in the past they all had lower resale because they were from US. I certainly would only buy one if the savings were passed on. Otherwise I'd pick up the CND model if prices and condition were similar. I would pick the one that was driven in a nicer climate. ie:

BC > Montana
California > Alberta
California > BC

But of course, most of the US has nicer weather than Canada, so IMO US cars should be worth more. 100,000km in warm weather is way nicer on a car than 100,000km in Canada where half the year is winter.

After a car is imported, it's every bit as Canadian as any other...unless of course, you miss the french airbag labels. ;)

supeg
11-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Dont forget to figure in the 12.1% tax that you are paying at the border for any car not made in north america (6.0% otherwise)

gpomp
11-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by nbaker0

ALL S4's have a V8 engine. I don't know why they put that on RIV "except V8 engine"
Therefore no S4's can come in period. that's just the cabriolet.

OP: i have been looking at cars here in texas as well. prices range from really cheap to average and you really do get what you pay for meaning the cheap cars are usually pretty beat. i don't think it's really THAT much cheaper to buy a car here, but there are definitely a lot more cars to choose from.

the BMW is the better car btw. TL and G35 are in a different (lower) league... haven't driven the IS but i'd expect it to be more similar to the G35/TL than the BMW.

as for your price range, you can get sti's for 06 sti's for 25-30k, 05 A4's for 25k, 04 S4's for a little over 30k, etc.

AVA
11-10-2007, 02:46 AM
I'd buy from Nevada, the cars have almost never seen rain or any corrosion at all. Plus, the cars I checked down there seem much less accident-prone and hidden than the Cali cars I was looking at. Furthermore, prices can be cheaper as well. And I wouldn't buy a BMW, most of them are money pits, I'd get the Lexus IS350.

em2ab
11-10-2007, 02:24 PM

haha, if you believe that you're pretty gullible. The North American Free Trade Act (NAFTA) prevents any corporation on either side of the border from refusing sales to any individual on the other side. Call them back and mention it, they'll start giving you prices in a hurry. If not they'll get in a lot of trouble with the government.

Get yourself Autocheck and Carfax. Sometimes an accident would show up on one, but not the other.
Again with the Carfax. This is only for USA vehicles, Carproof is the Canadian equivalent. Don't use Carfax in Canada.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I would pick the one that was driven in a nicer climate. ie:

BC > Montana
California > Alberta
California > BC

But of course, most of the US has nicer weather than Canada, so IMO US cars should be worth more. 100,000km in warm weather is way nicer on a car than 100,000km in Canada where half the year is winter.

After a car is imported, it's every bit as Canadian as any other...unless of course, you miss the french airbag labels. ;)
I find the dryer Calgary climate to be better on vehicles, my car had a paint chip on the hood for a few months in Calgary and there wasn't a stain of rust, just the gray steel showing through. I got to Atlanta and 2 days later it was orange.

Hakkola
11-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Again with the Carfax. This is only for USA vehicles, Carproof is the Canadian equivalent. Don't use Carfax in Canada.

This thread is about american cars, I don't think carproof is going to be very helpful.

GTS Jeff
11-11-2007, 01:26 AM
I find the dryer Calgary climate to be better on vehicles, my car had a paint chip on the hood for a few months in Calgary and there wasn't a stain of rust, just the gray steel showing through. I got to Atlanta and 2 days later it was orange. Crater face, that rock chip never would have happened in Atlanta, seeing as they don't sand their roads 7 months of the year.

rc2002
11-11-2007, 01:48 AM

haha, if you believe that you're pretty gullible. The North American Free Trade Act (NAFTA) prevents any corporation on either side of the border from refusing sales to any individual on the other side. Call them back and mention it, they'll start giving you prices in a hurry. If not they'll get in a lot of trouble with the government.

I highly doubt that. Money is money - and a dealership wouldn't kill a sale if their arm wasn't twisted into doing so.

Zephyr
11-11-2007, 03:46 AM
as for Lexus, call Longo Lexus in southern california, aka penske group...they might sell you a car

Team_Mclaren
11-11-2007, 10:57 AM
apparently its really strict, Lexus US wont let ANY dealership sell new to Canadian. I just bought a used car from Lexus Of Tacoma (seattle) and the salesmen told me no way in hell they would risk it.

em2ab
11-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

This thread is about american cars, I don't think carproof is going to be very helpful.
The post right above the one I quoted was dealing with Canadian cars so it seemed like he had directed the comment at that.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Crater face, that rock chip never would have happened in Atlanta, seeing as they don't sand their roads 7 months of the year.
Did you just call me crater face on the internet? I knew there was a reason I had filtered your posts on my other computer, you're an idiot. I believe rock chips are possible on any road in North America.

I highly doubt that. Money is money - and a dealership wouldn't kill a sale if their arm wasn't twisted into doing so.
The dealerships here have no idea if you can pay back the loan or not, Canadians have zero credit in the USA unless they have previously lived here. They don't want to take the risk so they think it's their right as a business owner to refuse business to whoever they want. However they don't realize it's against the law and will get a huge fine from the government if they don't comply with the NAFTA rules and regulations.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
apparently its really strict, Lexus US wont let ANY dealership sell new to Canadian. I just bought a used car from Lexus Of Tacoma (seattle) and the salesmen told me no way in hell they would risk it.
Call them back and mention NAFTA, I already mentioned this. They have to sell to you. They have no choice.

Zephyr
11-11-2007, 03:36 PM

Call them back and mention NAFTA, I already mentioned this. They have to sell to you. They have no choice.

A lot of Americans don't even know who the first president was. You think they know what NAFTA is?

rc2002
11-22-2007, 10:12 AM
The dealerships here have no idea if you can pay back the loan or not, Canadians have zero credit in the USA unless they have previously lived here. They don't want to take the risk so they think it's their right as a business owner to refuse business to whoever they want. However they don't realize it's against the law and will get a huge fine from the government if they don't comply with the NAFTA rules and regulations.

Well there really isn't any risk since there's no loan in the picture. I'd go down with cash to buy the car, as I'd assume most people would.

benyl
11-22-2007, 10:25 AM

WTF?

What does NAFTA have to do with Franchise agreements? They are protecting their regional markets.

haha, that is some funny shit.

NAFTA is about tarrifs on goods manufactured in each country. Not the sale of items in a specific territory.

Redlyne_mr2
11-22-2007, 10:34 AM
If youre trying to get an IS down south look at doing it fairly soon.. the later 2008 may become inadmissible just like the toyotas have. But yeah... Lexus dealers down south are are pretty reluctant to selling a new one to a Canadian.

Mitsu3000gt
11-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by nbaker0

Therefore no S4's can come in period.

2000-2002 S4's had twin turbo V6's, not V8's.

To the OP:
If anyone has family/friends in the USA, just get them to buy the car for you and then buy it off them immediately if the dealer won't sell new to a Canadian citizen. Another option is hardly used 2007 cars.

rc2002
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I looked at hardly used cars and found a couple of 2007s. But the price difference is marginal when compared to a brand new one. Plus some of them don't check out either.

Having someone you know in the US would be the best way. That way you know the complete history behind the car too. I was about to do that until the dollar crapped the bed. It's going to be 8% more expensive than when I was originally looking.