PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT get your ski/board waxed at Sport Swap!

dimi
11-08-2007, 05:28 PM
OK I'm furious.

More than 2 weeks ago I went to Sport Swap to get a base grind for my board. So a few days ago I started wondering where my board is. Called them, and they had to ship it to the downtown store to do base grinds. Fair Enough

I go in to take my board and the guy tells me that since there were a lot of holes I have to be charged $10 extra ($5 with sport swap card) because they used more PTEX. :dunno:

So I pay the $5, he gives me my board and I look at the and its in almost the same condition when I first gave them the board. So the guy working there told me he would polish it up . So I come back in 1 hour wanting to get my board finally, and I leave.

I get home and notice the following things.
1. The base still has scrapes on it
2. My edges are not well sharpened
3. There is so much fucking wax on the front of my board that it looks like someone melted a candle on the top.

So I'm pissed off, call them and they pretty much tell me that if I am willing to waste $5 of gas driving my board to them they would clean it FREE OF CHARGE. wow

Do not get your winter gear serviced at this place. There is no quality to their work.

I hope all of you are having a good day.

P.S. - Check your setup before leaving the shop

98type_r
11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Stories like this is why i've been doing it myself for the last 7 years.

elesdee
11-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Do you have a belt sander to do your basegrinds on? Or is there another way?

dimi
11-09-2007, 12:04 AM
I might invest in the heatgun method.

98type_r
11-09-2007, 12:10 AM
I'll pay for a basegrind at the ski cellar, but the rest of the work i do on my own.

elesdee
11-09-2007, 12:19 AM
The older dude with a wicked mustache at the 17th ave location is a fucking wizard. Get him to do your tuning/fixing.

Canmorite
11-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
I'll pay for a basegrind at the ski cellar, but the rest of the work i do on my own.

Originally posted by elesdee
The older dude with a wicked mustache at the 17th ave location is a fucking wizard. Get him to do your tuning/fixing.

:werd:

I do my own waxes and edges, but basegrinds and major shit I take to them. Also, remember that techies will never say no to a 6-pack and that will most likely get your gear done faster and better :thumbsup:

chris
11-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by dimi
I might invest in the heatgun method.

that's brutal, if you're board is still shit let me know and I can fix it up for you if you want. Which swap did you take it too, cause i know the one off heritage has a grinder, their machine is really shitty though?

if you do want to do it yourself, here's a link to some tuning articles. http://www.holmenkol.us/tech.html?stat=Tech+Section&substat=Tuning+%26+Waxing+Articles&sstat=&ref=198 PS. a heat gun should never be used in tuning, i dont know where you're getting this.

a beginner's tuning kit:
-vise
-iron (preferably a wax iron, temp should be adjustable)
-88* bevel guide
-file
-scraper
-brush
-p-tex and a lighter (sounds like you need it)

COP actually has a really good machine, felix's in bowness is great too, i think he does snowboards, Ski cellar is alright too.

ercchry
11-09-2007, 12:35 AM
i never have a board last long enough to worry about anything more than a wax and edge sharpen, something always pops out and fucks my board right up haha

BerserkerCatSplat
11-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Since we're on the subject and I don't feel like making a new thread, how do you know if you need a wax/grind on your board?

Canmorite
11-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Since we're on the subject and I don't feel like making a new thread, how do you know if you need a wax/grind on your board?

It basically renews your base and sharpens up your edges. It eliminates all the small scratches and gauges so your bases are flat again.

If the bottom of your board looks all haggered and white (dry) I'd suggest a base grind and a waxing.

I think the most amount of times you can do a base grind is 4-5, after that the base gets too thin.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-09-2007, 02:12 AM
"Haggard and white" pretty much sums up the bottom of my board, sounds like it's time for a tune-up. Thanks!

98type_r
11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
You should be thinking about a base grind once a year for the average rider. But that's just a rule of thumb, check your base with a straight edge and if it's not flat all the way down from tip to tail it's time for a base grind.

dino_martini
11-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by elesdee

:werd: He does amazing work. I always take my boards to Ski Cellar for work at their 17th ave location and they have never fucked it up once. :thumbsup:

dimi
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
There was a website that I stumbled on that used a heatgun to melt wax in the scratches but I guess its not that great.

Its my 3rd year on this board and my first basegrind so next year I should be rocking a new setup.

What kind of tools do you guys use to get your edges straight?

3g4u
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
That sucks man, i never got a base grind but i know a couple of my boards definetly need it. I do all the other stuff myself to save the hassle. So where would you guys say is the best place to go get a Base grind?