PDA

View Full Version : Schulmberger Interview

Pages : [1] 2 3

seadog
11-08-2007, 09:14 PM
So similar to a thread I just posted about getting companies to hurry the fuck up.

I applied To schulmberger in March. I got an email in June saying I was selected for an interview. I called them mid Aug saying whats the deal sicne I haven't heard anything, they say something coming shortly...

Mid Sept I get an email asking my schedule, contact info, and what university would be good to interview at, again saying more info coming shortly.

Since then I've waited... I sent an email a week ago to the recruiter asking respectfully what's up, but other than that any ideas?

I'm almost to the point of saying screw it. I've heard bad things about them from a few people, and what kind of people do they honestly expect if they make them wait 8 months for a first interview? I've gone on a bunch of trips and worked a few casual jobs in the mean time, sorta fell out of the working mindset for a while, but my situation is definately a unique one and most people other than the dregs would be long gone.

gpomp
11-08-2007, 09:17 PM
keep calling, they might have forgotten about you. don't think that you're being rude about sending multiple emails, you're not.

suranga
11-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Have you applied for a field engineer position? If so, I would call them ASAP. A few of my colleagues already went through the interview procedure and now are waiting for offers. However, I'm not sure if SLB's uses a rolling hiring schedule throughout the year or if it's segmented into 2 periods (dec. and june).

SJW
11-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I worked for Sclum. Good company to train with but you'll probably be quittin before 3 years if you are going into the field. Too much BS.

seadog
11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Speak of the devil, I was going to call today after Calgary woke up (east coast here) and I actually just got an email saying the interview is on Tuesday. One busniess day away (Mon is a holiday here). I love it. 8 months of waiting then 1 day notice. I'm going to TO on Wed for week and it was just by chance I didn't choose Tuesday.

Rat Fink
11-09-2007, 08:51 AM

G-ZUS
11-09-2007, 09:12 AM
My cousin had a interview with them couple months ago, he got a free plane ticket to calgary, stayed here for a couple days and did the interview, if i remember correctly it was 2 days, but he didnt take their offer

Graham_A_M
11-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SJW
I worked for Sclum. Good company to train with but you'll probably be quittin before 3 years if you are going into the field. Too much BS.
Not to sure which division you've been working in, but if you were a field operator, your on the field in about a week.
The field engineers are on the field in about 4 or 5 months, and thats after going to school in Houstin typically. Then their put out on the field for a few months to see if they still like doing it, then if they do, back to school again.

The company is beyond pathetic in terms of getting back to people. I applied for over a year at my own expense. That meant flying up to Grande Prarie out of my own pocket for an interview, or driving out to Nisku or Red Deer, it was crazy, a whole years worth of faxing out resume's and going on leads.....and nothing until one day.... I finally got a call back.
Its just the way it is. If your REALLY interested, be prepaired to put on the miles if need be.
But the oil patch sucks nowadays, they can go from SCREAMING for people to laying off 15 people in as little as 6 weeks.
Thats what happened to me. I was with Schlum from August 1st last year, to early Jan when I got laid off along with 10 other people from my district (I was doing wireline up in Whitecount)
yeah, its pretty crazy really. I dont miss the patch not one bit just because of how up and down it was at times:banghead:

Pretty shitty way to end a career I'd say. Even if they called me to come back, I wouldn't. Working in the oil patch can be a really crazy life. It was 14 on, 7 off with my Disctrict.
But when you were on, you were ON. Meaning you could get a call at 3:00am to be at the shop in half an hour, if they were busy, dont plan on crawling back into your bed for up to a week at times. ts just GO GO GO GO, you sleep in hotels, or the cab of the wireline truck... its hard not to get into fights with people since you literally see them more then you do your own family for a good part of the year. Just the lifestyle sucked..... I hated being on call with such little notice of how long you'd be gone for... that was the worst... like your diet goes to hell... and being a diabetic as I am, it took a fair bit to get used to.
but the money was pretty damn nice though, thats for sure. $1000 a day sometimes.. (not very often, but sometimes).. so of my senior co-workers were taking home $15k/month from Jan-March.

Audio_Rookie
11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
glad I didn't take the offer in whitecourt then lol.

I love what im doing now :).

gpomp
11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
The field engineers are on the field in about 4 or 5 months, and thats after going to school in Houstin typically. the schlumberger training center is in airdrie

Graham_A_M
11-12-2007, 05:39 PM
^ I know I've been there. But the engineers have a much more comprehensive course down in Houstin to go to, thats where the NA operations are based out of. The engineers only go there after a one or two month training stint down in Houston... or "Sugar land - Texas" specifically.

but the airdrie center is the more work-skills sort of place. There you learn sleep management, (comprehensive driving center just north of Airdie), how to pick up heavy things, work place safety (and all the corresponding tickets) and so on. Obviously for the techncal side of things there is a little of that for the engineers there, but mainly there are learning centers all over the world. One of my co-workers went to the one in Egypt.

seadog
11-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Yah had the interview this morning, went fine, halfway through I got to asking about when they were hiring for/what's next. Flat out told me they were interested, being first up and having not seen anyone else yet I guess thats a compliment :)

Only thing is they need me in AB next Mon/Tues, and I WAS going to Toronto from tomorrow to next Wed. I can cut my trip short since the stuff I need to do is finished by the weekend, but Christ, 8 months hearing nothing, 1 day notice for an interview, then less than a week and they want me accross the country? The alternitive is waiting until the end of Jan for the next second interviews so there really isn't much of an alternitive. Nature of the beast perhaps, best get used to it now I guess.

The recruiter I had had only been on the job a month and was telling me how close she had come to quitting more than once. Plus she said she gets job offers all the time, and that also jives with 3 friends who spent about 18 months each in the field.

Any advice for the second interview from anyone who may have done it?

The Cosworth
11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by SJW

Agreed, I lasted 6 months in drilling engineering and D&M

^ I know I've been there. But the engineers have a much more comprehensive course down in Houstin to go to, thats where the NA operations are based out of. The engineers only go there after a one or two month training stint down in Houston... or "Sugar land - Texas" specifically.

but the airdrie center is the more work-skills sort of place. There you learn sleep management, (comprehensive driving center just north of Airdie), how to pick up heavy things, work place safety (and all the corresponding tickets) and so on. Obviously for the techncal side of things there is a little of that for the engineers there, but mainly there are learning centers all over the world. One of my co-workers went to the one in Egypt.
I was up in Airdrie and a couple guys who were with me went to England, IIRC they were having a hard time getting people into the US, especially if they were from the middle east. I quit (I was a summer student but they wanted me to stay on part time, but ended up quiting) before my training trip to england.

Graham_A_M
11-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by seadog
Any advice for the second interview from anyone who may have done it?
Yes, get ready to be fitted for your coverall measurements for the most part: you've landed the job. There really is only 1 interview, after that..... your pretty much part of the family, unless you really try to fuck it up that is. They'll be going over the finer details of your job description, and over coming any objections.

#1 Dont haggle your salary, trust me.... everybody starts off at the same rate unless you have umpteen years experience in your field already...even then.... its still pretty iffy since the tools Schlumberger uses are the only ones of THEIR type in the industry, Haliburton, Weatherford, Baker Hughes all use tools that are very simular in function, but the technicalities about them make them WORLDS apart... and its those that you absolutely HAVE to know... since complete failures at the field are unacceptable, and cost (sometimes) hundreds of thousands of dollars of lost money... sometimes into the 7 figures on occasion.
The learning curve is EXTREMELY steep, and I mean STEEP.... you'll have mentors, but be prepaired for some serious late nights studing the fundamentals of your expected duties both in the shop and otherwise.
Like I say, everybody starts off at the same salary + job bonuses for a reason... its because everybody has a learning curve towards the "Schlumberger way".
And they really are starved for engineers, as many of my co-workers were from Russia, Kenya, Trinidad, Columbia... their bringing in talent from all over the world to cover the lack of available engineers for these types of positions.

#2 Do more research so you can send some very directed questions their way when you meet with them for a second time.

- Anything else, I'd be happy to help if I can any further.

mikestang
11-13-2007, 11:23 PM
running tools for schlumberger... you dont need a degree or anything do you? just the training?

cus i swear some of the weatherford guys I met were dumb... really dumb.. and its the same shit :/ lol

whats the wage like starting there?

gpomp
11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
depends if you want to be an operator or engineer.

Graham_A_M
11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
^ yeah, almost all engineers that no longer have any sort of mentorship can take home early $100k range. Most experienced operators make $40-90k depending on how much you work, and how much additional staff comes with you on the trips... EG if the operator is fairly new, he wont be sent out with only one engineer, and thats it (called Single O.... short for operator) but he'll instead be send out with a more experienced operator as a mentor. only the general operators that have at least two years experience can go on their own with their engineer.

"Mikestang" what you mean about 'running tools' is over my head, do you mean doing hotshots? for tool delievery to and from the leases to the shops or whatever?

if you mean wireline, being running the tools down the well and so on for both open & closed hole operations, what you experienced with Weatherford is just that, with one given group of people from one given location. I knew multiple people that did wireline with Weatherford and they run just as good of a show as did Schlumberger.
The REAL idiots are the guys at Tucker Wireline... they lost a radioactive source down the well even (it was Cesium, a very powerful radioactivity agent)... since they dont use FSM's (district managers) they informed the driller to just "drill through the tool that was stuck down the well" since the fishing operations failed.
So they did. Too bad that they forgot to mention that to the driller or the consultant. when the drilled through the tool they destroyed the source, which in turn radiated the whole rig crew and wireline personelle. The whole place was shut down as the mud needed to be properly disposed of since its laced with radioactive material, the whole rig was shutdown, and its crew was hospitialized for radiation exposure... it was a fucking disaster, environment canada had to be called in due to the nature of the incident, the well had to have 4 "satelite wells" drilled in each corner of the corresponding area to measure the radioactivity of the well..... it just went on and on....
it was a GONG SHOW..... the tools they use and the people they have working for them are pretty comical.... the tools are so inaccurate, why even bother doing open hole logging?:dunno:

seadog
12-08-2007, 12:19 PM
So the interview in Calgary went fine, although the formal 30 minute interview at the end in the office was about the weirdest I've ever had "Do you got a coat?" It starts. "Yah, uhhh will I need it?' "Yah I'm going for a smoke. You can smoke if you want, I don't care, but I am so come" Then he swore a lot in the interview once we got back inside.

Anyways so I got the offer in Grande Prairie for wireline, and I'm really on the fence about it. On one hand if i'm moving 3000 miles away and the closest person I'd even know would be 5 hours away, so lack of social/family life isn't really gonna come up, but still. Some of the stories I've heard. How many ppl % wise quit within the first 6 months? Is there any stipulation that you need to pay back money for the training if you leave within a certain time (official offer contract is coming in a few days)? A friend with Halliburton stuck it out for a year because they wanted like $10k from him if he left before a year.

I like travel and hands on work outdoors, but this might be a bit on the extreme end of it.

Graham_A_M
12-08-2007, 04:45 PM
^ There is no stipulation. Schlumberger is practically known in the Oil and Gas industry as the "training providers". You'll get all your tickets through them (or at least the ones relevant to your job duties), and at that point you can wave them goodbye and thats that. You won't owe them anything. Its been said that SLB pays about $10-13k per person for your two week stint to which your busy in SLB's school, meaning accomidations, food, transportation (etc)

Actually when I was training for "NEST" meaning New Employee Safety Training down in Airdrie (I did wireline in Whitecourt)
I met this seasoned veteran at the driving school, as every few years they need to be recertified to be allowed to drive SLB vehicles. He did wireline up in GP.
And all I can say is: ...... stay the clear of Wireline in GP........ I'll keep it short and sweet. Thats all you need to know.:angel:
The stories he was telling me of the "management" just blew me away, I could digress, but I'd rather not spend an hour just typing shit.
Long story short. In GP, Wireline is definately to be avoided, I've never seen such a miserable workplace thats ridden with politics and incompetance. (We've also dealt with them personally since Whitecourt is two hours SE of GP)
Try to get on with a different district if you can. Such as Red Deer. Those guys have a decent operation going, meaning all the different services provided under the SLB umbrella.
You can also do Wireline in Whitecourt, as they're supposedly expanding into a new building sometime soon, and I'm sure their looking for crews to run their new trucks.
As of a 1 week from today, its been a year since I last worked at SLB, only to be taken out of the field and eventually laid off thanks to the district manager dislike having a Type 1 diabetic (myself obviously) in the field. So I can't help you further in terms of actual contact info, or more updated news, but there is a chance the FSM (/district manager) for GP wireline has been booted out. Run his name past me and I'll tell you if its the same guy (I forget his name)

Also, the Nisku headoffice is perhaps also available, but they dont do any ACTUAL oilfield servicing type activities. Instead when a tool breaks down, or a wireline truck (etc) and the district mechanics/technicians can't fix it, its brought to Nisku then.

If their is anything else I can help you with, just ask. :)

seadog
12-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. How long did you stay with SLB for? Once you were layed off what were your options like? What are you doing now? I'm sort of late getting into the game, since I graduated 18 months ago but I know of about 4 ppl who've done various field engineering jobs and since left, some to 6 figure office jobs in Calgy, others wanted to come back to Halifax. Like if nothing else it seems like it props you up for a decent future if not in the company than elsewhere.

And one thing I don't get, is if they spend this kind of money on you (I was told 100-150k till breakout) why don't they try to deal with the shitty aspects within their control to maximize retention? I understand its the oilfield, you're gonna be tired cold and dirty, but compounding that with incompotence and assholes makes it 10 times worse. Like the military is sort of similar work conditions, but the amount of benifits and ways you have to deal with concerns is astounding. They realize its a tough job in itself, so they appreciate the value of having a great support net.

Pahnda
12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
^^ I'll throw an assumption up. But they're paying so much because they KNOW it's a shitty condition. It's shit work and the only way they'll find people to do it is if they shove money down their mouth.

They know for those kinds of jobs if someone quits they'll just grab someone else that'll do it. And with this kind of booming economy that Albertans love so much, there will be people lined up for the jobs.

It's sorta like being pimped except they don't kill you if you leave.

cosmok
12-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda
^^ I'll throw an assumption up. But they're paying so much because they KNOW it's a shitty condition. It's shit work and the only way they'll find people to do it is if they shove money down their mouth.

Schlum pay good? :rofl:

seadog
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh no, I know the conditions are tough, thats why they pay well I agree. Thats the nature of the oil field and thats just how it is. My point was that because of that you'd think the company would make more of an effort to ensure that things which make a shitty job worse within their control (bad bosses, harassment, political instead of merit based promotions etc) to a minimum.

And I don't follow your logic at all. Booming economy and lots of eager ppl or not, it makes piss poor business sense to have someone quit 6 months into a job when you've dropped 100k into training them and they haven't made the company any money yet.

Pays good. Just shy of 60k as a trainee, then once I start running jobs on my own which could be 6 months of longer, then they said you can break 6 figures for your second year.

Graham_A_M
12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. How long did you stay with SLB for? Once you were layed off what were your options like? What are you doing now? I'm sort of late getting into the game, since I graduated 18 months ago but I know of about 4 ppl who've done various field engineering jobs and since left, some to 6 figure office jobs in Calgy, others wanted to come back to Halifax. Like if nothing else it seems like it props you up for a decent future if not in the company than elsewhere.

And one thing I don't get, is if they spend this kind of money on you (I was told 100-150k till breakout) why don't they try to deal with the shitty aspects within their control to maximize retention? I understand its the oilfield, you're gonna be tired cold and dirty, but compounding that with incompotence and assholes makes it 10 times worse. Like the military is sort of similar work conditions, but the amount of benifits and ways you have to deal with concerns is astounding. They realize its a tough job in itself, so they appreciate the value of having a great support net.

I was with SLB from August 1st 06 to about X-mas that same year. Not too long. Yeah when I was there, they were shutting down trucks since they didn't have a crew to run them. Three weeks after that huge labor shortage that lasted from Oct to X-mas, they laid 15 people off because it was SO slow, and people were fighting for work it seems. :nut: It was kind of a good situation since they got rid of all the problematic staff in that "lay off" but it just went to show how up and down the oil patch is.
I'm not too sure about the money they spend on engineers until break out. With open hole engineers, the things they have to know are pretty diverse. Basically you need to know how to run everything while in your sleep pretty much, there is no room for imcompetance. So $100-$150k wouldn't surprise me, as that typically involves these 1st class training centers out in Egypt, Great Britain, etc etc.
With cased hole field technicians (note I didn't say engineers since you dont have to be an engineer of some sorts to be qualified to work as a field tech)... but
I'm sure they dont spend $150k, or even any more then perhaps half that. The training isn't nearly as intense.

SLB doesn't really keep the company of assholes in their work force. Problematic employees are sifted out quite early on, and fired. I think its politics and whiney-ness that you have to be more worried of. The politics at Whitecourt were pretty ridiculous before the big lay off, how it is now? Couldn't tell you. Probably 90% better considering those that were laid off.
:clap:

As far as tools for retaining people are concerned, The profit sharing and quality of SLB as a company.
SLB treats their employees very good... or shall I say VERY good.
Their a great company to work for, but its the individual districts that can make it a disaster, Grande Prarie (wireline division) is such a district:thumbsup:
Actually, how the profit sharing works, is if you contribute (up to a maxium of) 10% of your salary to RRSP's, SLB will match it.
Also, as years progress, your internal profit sharing (meaning a big discount on stock as well as many other things) grow exponentially over time. Its quite common for those that have worked for SLB for the duration of their career to retire as millionaires.
It depends on more then that just showing up for work obviously, but if you take care of SLB, they REALLY do take good care of you.
I dont want to say its the company that cares, since I can't think of any publicly traded company that does, but its probably the closest thing. But please read between the lines and understand that its a people company, and some people can be miserable managers, others could have no intergrity, other middle manager groups could be laden with politics; its quite independant, the companies core motives are quite respectable, people aside I mean. :dunno:

The biggest career tip I can give you for SLB is to follow their procedures to a TEE, and take responsibility for your crew, and be the "go to" guy. Every district manager started off as an engineer or operator, (or which ever other relative practice that corresponds with the focal point of the district I mean).

The work isn't bad, but what REALLY makes things intollerable is the hours an open hole wireline crew has to do.
If you can, get on with Cased hole. Their home every night, and the work is days only, they also have more then 1 hours notice of when they need to be at the shop, which is invaluable, trust me;)

(nothing sucks more then crawling into bed after partying all night, only to get a phone call at 2:00am to be at the shop in half an hour... only to be gone for a few days) :barf:
Those instances are rare, but they do happen.
My (experienced) co-workers took home $15k for the first three months of the year, and about $5-7k there after. :thumbsup:

gpomp
12-09-2007, 10:54 PM
^were you an operator or engineer? open hole or cased?

Pahnda
12-09-2007, 11:09 PM
And I don't follow your logic at all. Booming economy and lots of eager ppl or not, it makes piss poor business sense to have someone quit 6 months into a job when you've dropped 100k into training them and they haven't made the company any money yet.

I agree it's bad business sense to waste money like that. But when you're making huge profits, throwing money at problems is the easiest solution. I'm sure the executives and most people in the home office don't consider at all what conditions are like day to day and their solution is "well, we have this money, just get another person and maybe they'll stick around".

Practically half of the people I graduated with (at a small hick oil + agriculture town) went into trades having to do with the field or into some type of work directly in the field. Most of them are staying, but they generally agree the conditions suck balls there. But hey, money, can't argue with that. :bigpimp:

Supa Dexta
12-10-2007, 02:34 PM
yeah no way it costs, 100k.. Unless they mean his pay for a yr or more as well,

I've heard 20k just to get a guy out in the field for sperry, training, supplies, courses, etc.. who knows,

and yeah no prob to get into 6 figs mwd'n.. :bigpimp: (I just skimmed this thread, but thats what your doing?) Biggest months I've heard guys pullin in would be 30k, and it makes sense since we top out at around 1k a day.. (but remember, you wont work 30 days that often, or even have that many great months) work hard the winter and enjoy the downtown when you get it.

Graham_A_M
12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
^ $30k a month, Good God I wish I was making that. Thats insane. Work two months of the year, net $60 and just relax on a beach in Mexico for the other 10. Fuckin' rights. :thumbsup:
Dustin, Beers will be on me for a year if you could help me land something like that..... :love:

but your right, only between new years and spring break up is the earnings that good.

Gpomp. I used to be a junior operator for open hole. And I did a tiny bit of Cased hole before I was laid off.
its not until about a year can people upgrade to (regular) operator, then from there it takes about two-four years (depending on learning curve) to be a senior operator, then from there, transfers around the world if you want, or specialization in a given sector. I heard of one very hard-working and 'in demand" operator that specialized in very difficult operations, such as when the drillers have to drill in steep curves that can even go upside down (at an angle I mean) to get at very hard to reach oil deposits. Obviously wireline is just that, using a wire, so to log those types of holes, the SLB tools have to be mounted on the drill pipe. Its extremely technical, and I know (pretty much) fuck all about that, but he was raking in $200k as a specialist in those regards.
Like the world opens up it seems if your gifted at what you do. Flying around to do special projects, teaching, SLB REALLY hands out the dough when your that good.

the engineer that was assigned to our truck (he was 23 also), but had some friends fresh out of university that were doing offshore wireline, meaning a helicopter flies in the whole wireline unit which is essentially skid mounted: they were grossing (not a word of a lie) around $300k.. for a couple guys fresh out of university? fuck........:rofl:
I gotta go back and me and edumaction..... thats just surreal. :nut:

I dont remember if it was through SLB or who, but yeah, offshore is just stupid money, utterly stupid amounts of money, this guy that I met was a driller for a fairly large offshore operation, he was getting $250k as a driller... Rig managers get even more still... which is almost unfathomable.

The bigger the offshore rig, means the bigger the services need to be called in, which means bigger job bonuses, and so forth.... its pretty cool really.

adamc
12-10-2007, 04:06 PM
The huge salaries reported offshore are (often) greatly exaggerated.

Graham_A_M
12-10-2007, 06:32 PM
^ yeah I've heard that too, Thats especially predominant in the oil patch I find. But apparently that wireline crew I spoke of just had a fantastic year whereas they went from big offshore rig to the next, and through the depth of the wells, they just did fantastically well that year, not to sure if that was a one time deal or not. Sure is a fuck load more then I made, I'll say that much:(

seadog
12-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Yah they got offered me an OH wireline engineer spot, so the training might be a little more intense. My training looks like this:

Fly across Canada, go to Calgary for a day, do some paperwork, get laptop etc. Go to Houston for 3 days, go back near Calgary, do 9 + 3 more days of general safety and driver training.

Spend a month in the shop being everyone's bitch, hopefully learn some stuff, see if the lifestyle is still for me.

Go to either Houston, Scotland, or the UAE for 10 weeks wireline training. I was told they're leaning towards UAE since its new and want to get some ppl through it. As was mentioned, they're paying for world class facilities, paying very senior ppl who have to know their shit, and world class equipment. Trucks worth $1m+, nuclear sources, and high explosives. Just seem expensive to keep, maintain, and secure. If anyone's ever done it or inquired, corporate training is anything but cheap. On top of all that they're gonna cover all our lodging and food too up till about month 4.

After that I'll spend hopefully no more than 3 months back in the shop getting up to speed and leaning to run my own jobs. Around month 6-7 is when typically you hope to start actually making money for the company.

Add to the above 30-35k for salary till you start running jobs, relocating all my stuff cross country if I want, benefits they need to provide from day 1, and a loss of 100k if we quit seems perfectly reasonable.

-

As for salary, since so much of its bonus based, its almost like a lottery if you get very pricey jobs. Ditto on the offshore things tho. I was talking to a senior guy when we did shop tours who spent some time on the Gulf Coast. He said he ran about a million dollars worth of jobs offshore over 8 weeks. Well at the senior level, you get a bonus of around 4-4.5% the bill so figure out the math. Its probably a lot like poker though. You only boast about the best run you ever had, even if it only represents 1% of your total time in the game.

Graham_A_M
12-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Yah they got offered me an OH wireline engineer spot, so the training might be a little more intense. My training looks like this:

Fly across Canada, go to Calgary for a day, do some paperwork, get laptop etc. Go to Houston for 3 days, go back near Calgary, do 9 + 3 more days of general safety and driver training.

Spend a month in the shop being everyone's bitch, hopefully learn some stuff, see if the lifestyle is still for me.

Go to either Houston, Scotland, or the UAE for 10 weeks wireline training. I was told they're leaning towards UAE since its new and want to get some ppl through it. As was mentioned, they're paying for world class facilities, paying very senior ppl who have to know their shit, and world class equipment. Trucks worth $1m+, nuclear sources, and high explosives. Just seem expensive to keep, maintain, and secure. If anyone's ever done it or inquired, corporate training is anything but cheap. On top of all that they're gonna cover all our lodging and food too up till about month 4.

After that I'll spend hopefully no more than 3 months back in the shop getting up to speed and leaning to run my own jobs. Around month 6-7 is when typically you hope to start actually making money for the company.
-

As for salary, since so much of its bonus based, its almost like a lottery if you get very pricey jobs. Ditto on the offshore things tho. I was talking to a senior guy when we did shop tours who spent some time on the Gulf Coast. He said he ran about a million dollars worth of jobs offshore over 8 weeks. Well at the senior level, you get a bonus of around 4-4.5% the bill so figure out the math. Its probably a lot like poker though. You only boast about the best run you ever had, even if it only represents 1% of your total time in the game.

man, I couldn't of said it better. Although when your in the shop, your nobodies bitch at all, your there to learn, and not be a trained monkey. You wont be asked to do much of anything, other then be a sponge and learn, DONT forget that, you may have a lot of mean people that are 'experienced' saying "Lift this" or "do that" or "rebuild this now"... and they shouldn't be. Your responsibilities to get the job done right are non-existant, its theirs... its also their responsbility to train you additionally. But ask tons of questions man.... there is an absolutely enormus amount of stuff to learn. :nut:
The trucks are worth about $1mill, and the tools it'll be carrying are worth another million. Actually there is one tool (I forget its SLB name...) but its called a "dual density" basically, that alone is worth $400k, and its only one tool... abeit it weights 190kilos so be carefull, you can blow out your o-ring in a hurry trying to carry it in any way.

Anyway, good luck. :thumbsup:

pegasus
11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
if anyone from this thread is still around...

I got a second interview for a canadian field engineer position. I think they are going to fly me out to their facility in alberta. i dont know which one tho.
Just wondering what the salary was now? or if anybody has any idea? is there alot of overtime possible and so on? and wat does 2 weeks on and 1 week off mean? will iget a whole week of? or just 1 week not on call.

and as to what the second interview entails? what should I go looking into? i heard there will be some group interviews and formal one and one interview, and so on. Can anyone give me any information? thanks!
i

drew_goring
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
The second interview is basically just an information session and then you pick which segment you want to work in, then are interviewed by the manager of that particular segment. 2 on 1 off means you work 2 weeks straight then get one off. Some places move to 3 on 1 off for Q1. Overtime in non-applicable unless you work in California. Salary is the same whether you work 10 hours or 100 in a week.

pegasus
11-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by drew_goring
The second interview is basically just an information session and then you pick which segment you want to work in, then are interviewed by the manager of that particular segment. 2 on 1 off means you work 2 weeks straight then get one off. Some places move to 3 on 1 off for Q1. Overtime in non-applicable unless you work in California. Salary is the same whether you work 10 hours or 100 in a week.

What segments are available do you know? Do they ask technical questions?
There is no overtime? Is that legal? you could work all day on the rig and not get overtime pay?
Meh...still a great company, i would work for them regardless. But do you know how much a field engineer will make ? Like form the first day of training? or do they get the salary after 3 yrs of training?

pegasus
11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I heard people making 80-100K once they start workin the rigs... how are they bringing in so much money if salary is around 50K without overtime?\

what kind of questions can i expect at the second interview?

pegasus
11-04-2008, 07:39 PM
oh and do grades matter? they are asking for my transcript... and for my drivers abstract.

Supa Dexta
11-04-2008, 08:07 PM
No OT. doesn't matter if you work 40 hours straight... You wont make much training.. I dunno 50k? if you stay busy the first year... The money comes when you start running your own jobs, and get more bonuses, then it adds up. And depending on how much you work you'll be over 100k for sure.

Grades matter somewhat, there's a lot to learn, and a lot to be responsible for...,

chill out and see how it goes, ask your questions to them.

broken_legs
11-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I can't believe there was a Schlumberger thread and I missed it!

Field Engineers get Salary + Day Rate.

There is no such thing as overtime.

Premium Days 1.25*Day Rate after 18 Days in a calendar month.

pegasus
11-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
No OT. doesn't matter if you work 40 hours straight... You wont make much training.. I dunno 50k? if you stay busy the first year... The money comes when you start running your own jobs, and get more bonuses, then it adds up. And depending on how much you work you'll be over 100k for sure.

Grades matter somewhat, there's a lot to learn, and a lot to be responsible for...,

chill out and see how it goes, ask your questions to them.

What kind of questions should I ask? What kind of questions can I expect?
so first 3 years since its training... i will make 50Kish a year i assume?

and what are premium days?

broken_legs
11-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by pegasus
What kind of questions should I ask?
What kind of question is that?

What kind of questions can I expect?
I dunno

so first 3 years since its training...
No. Field Engineers are always training. Always.

i will make 50Kish a year i assume?
Probably twice that

and what are premium days?
1.25*Day Rate after 18 Days in a calendar month

[/B]

pegasus
11-05-2008, 06:44 AM
hahaha unreal then.

Pretty stoked for this interview. nov 24th and 25th! lol WEird tho... I am not done school till August 2009 tho...I guess they are down with some early recruitment.

seadog
11-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Depends what segment your in. I think (correct me otherwise) broken legs is Measurements while drilling.

In wireline we get salary + % bonus of the bill for a 6-100 hour job we do for the client. MWD stays for the whole time the wells being drilled (3 weeks or however long) so a day rate makes more sense.

And 100k is nothing to get excited about. Safety is #1 here but you will work well past the point of being dangerous. 14 hours preparing in the shop, 10 hours driving after, then you'll be responsible for nuclear sources and explosives for 60 hours straight, then you'll be dead so the operator will drive you home. You'll have 8-10 hours off to sleep. Repeat for 2 weeks. On an hourly basis you'll be making less than 16 yo's serving fastfood.

es5052
11-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Just had my 2nd interview with SLB, went pretty well.

Not sure how yours will go..depends on the recruiter, but typically the outline looks like this:

Day 1: Introduction, group presentations, dinner, more presentations.

Day 2: Go to local office(s), lunch, go to location, back to hote, go to a nice dinner, exit interviews.

At the exit interview, they gauge how likely you would except a position with them, and what segment and location you would prefer. I picked MWD and asked to be assigned to go offshore.

You are not in competition with the other applicants if its a group interview. Be a team player, and be curious.

----------------------------------------------------------

General question for all you engineers by education working in oil.

Do you feel that working for an oil servicing company, doing wirelining/mwd/dd etc, that you are locked into the industry because of the specific skills?

Do you feel like you could move into a another industry unrelated to oil after working in the field?

pegasus
11-06-2008, 09:49 AM
These segments... like you guys said.. wireline... MWD?... etc...
Is there such a list somewhere? I am still in school finishin up my degree. I donot know of any of these segments... Where can I see a list so I can tell them what I am interested in?

es5052
11-06-2008, 11:43 AM
their web site has the list of segments

They are divided into
Western Geco
Drilling and Measurements
Wirelining
Artificial Lift
Testing
Well Services
Completion

And then Business solutions like IPM.

pegasus
11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
sweet thanks.

what would you guys recommend? considering it's an alberta position for now?

pegasus
11-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I think I will put... Wireline cased hole, or open hole...Drilling optimization...Downhole measurement/Measurement while drilling.

Graham_A_M
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Stick with Cased hole... seriously... with open hole, you're there whenever they need you, and work until whenever youre finished.
When you're on, you're ON.. meaning SLB pretty much owns you. If you're assigned to a truck and dont go on a job, that can have pretty serious effects towards your employment. Being sick is one thing, not going out when the engineer calls you to a job is a big offense, like it or not.

In cased hole, you only work during daylight hours (due to the use of explosives) and are basically home almost every night, some nights you may spend in a hotel if there is a few jobs in an area (a hot shot service/ or other SLB truck will bring back and forth the tools needed)... but those aren't too common.

In open hole, it may be dead quiet for a week straight, (so you make plans with friends and family for them to visit) then you may get a call at 2am to be at the shop, ready to go in 1 hour. From there, you may be gone for a week straight. It happened to me a couple times, and it fucking sucks when your friends/family come over to see you and your stuck out in nowhere, and can't even see them. :(. But thats honestly how it is, there isn't anything you can do.

open hole fucking sucks, I dont miss that not for half a second... even though cased hole makes a BIT less generally, I'd definately go back and do cased hole if I had to do it again.

read "Seadog" 's last comment, over and over again, hopefully that will hit home. :nut:

I'd stick your fingers into multiple pies. With Stelmach's revamp of the royalties towards oil companies, there may be a big dive in the oil sector, starting Jan. 1st '09. That translates to a shit load of more qualified people then you, all looking for work. You may be out of a job quite quickly... but again... thats what its like the oil patch, just boom and bust, boom and bust over and over again.
Trust me, its not for everyone. Its an incredibly volitile industry.

Dumbass17
11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
what kind of degrees do you guys have for any of these positions?

i only have a diploma in civil engineering tech :(
they have this written for a Field Intern on their website, but it doesn't help much :dunno: ;
"The educational requirements are completion of second year studies or above in an undergraduate program in any Engineering discipline, Geology, Geophysics and certain Pure Sciences."

hmmmm

Graham_A_M
11-08-2008, 04:42 PM
any engineering degree works apparently... back when I was working there, they were so hurtin' for engineers, they were bringing in people from Russia, the middle east, south America, europe... they'd even do the paper work for them too... it was nuts. Just so long as you are an engineer, that meets the requirements for them, as any sort of engineer will stil need extensive training to meet SLB standards... as its a whole new world to pretty much everybody short of Geophysics, geothrermal or petroleum.

pegasus
11-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Does everyone get a truck?

lol I would love to get a free truck... what department is that for?

Dumbass17
11-08-2008, 09:55 PM
hmm weird

my buddy got hired on as a wireline operator and he has like a networking diploma and has never seen a rig lol...

i guess my civ diploma won't mean jack shit hah

RatherBePerfin
11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
hmm weird

my buddy got hired on as a wireline operator and he has like a networking diploma and has never seen a rig lol...

i guess my civ diploma won't mean jack shit hah

Some companies call the guy running the truck an operator, engineer, or field supervisor, and some companies call the guys who drive the trucks and do the physical work operators. I am going to assume your buddy is the latter.

Graham_A_M
11-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Does everyone get a truck?

lol I would love to get a free truck... what department is that for?

LMAO... oh wow... no, nobody gets a truck other then the highest ups in a given district, even then.... the truck isn't theirs, its leased as per SLB, when it gets old enough (at SLB's discretion) then they auction it off at the SLB vehicle auction....

no, nobody gets a truck, other then perhaps two or three people in a district of 60 or so.
The pick-ups assigned to a crew are absolutely not at all for personal use, as in, when the wireline truck isn't doing a job, the truck stays put in the yard.... period.

Every 1/10th of a KM needs to be accounted for, suffice it to say, that means the truck really isn't YOURS per se'. taking the truck out for personal use is classified as a "driver zero" and (very well can be a) basically a fire-able offense if done more then once.

I guess, as time goes on... I can't help but laugh at how foolish new employees are, they think SLB just tosses money and benefits to you new guys, at absolutely no expense whatsoever. :rofl:

gpomp
11-08-2008, 11:51 PM
there's a few wireline companies where the supervisors get their own pickups

broken_legs
11-09-2008, 02:18 AM

LMAO... oh wow... no, nobody gets a truck other then the highest ups in a given district, even then.... the truck isn't theirs, its leased as per SLB, when it gets old enough (at SLB's discretion) then they auction it off at the SLB vehicle auction....

no, nobody gets a truck, other then perhaps two or three people in a district of 60 or so.
The pick-ups assigned to a crew are absolutely not at all for personal use, as in, when the wireline truck isn't doing a job, the truck stays put in the yard.... period.

E

Man that sounds pretty crappy accounting for KMs and what not. I heard Wireline gets their subsistence prorated for how mnay hours they work in a day. How utterly gay. Wireline is the biggest cash cow there is. DnM subsistence is 75/day for travel days and non-camp work now.

I can;t speak for any of the other services, but in D&M I have had my own truck for the last 3 years, and I got it after only 3 months. I regularly drive it everywhere, I don't account for any KMs, and sometimes it goes on non work related trips.... Neither of my personal cars have been running for more than a year now, the battery just dies while they sit in the driveway... lol

Everyone in D&M gets their own truck. Every lead hand has a truck period. The trucks all belong to SLB, and all have driving monitors in them. you are restricted on speed, braking, all sorts of stuff affects your drivers score. You are also restricted on the hours you can drive. Also we are all getting new 2008 fords this year to replace the 2004-2008 fleet.

Dumbass17
11-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by RatherBePerfin

Some companies call the guy running the truck an operator, engineer, or field supervisor, and some companies call the guys who drive the trucks and do the physical work operators. I am going to assume your buddy is the latter.
no apparently he'll be running a crew after his training...:dunno:

pegasus
11-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Man that sounds pretty crappy accounting for KMs and what not. I heard Wireline gets their subsistence prorated for how mnay hours they work in a day. How utterly gay. Wireline is the biggest cash cow there is. DnM subsistence is 75/day for travel days and non-camp work now.

I can;t speak for any of the other services, but in D&M I have had my own truck for the last 3 years, and I got it after only 3 months. I regularly drive it everywhere, I don't account for any KMs, and sometimes it goes on non work related trips.... Neither of my personal cars have been running for more than a year now, the battery just dies while they sit in the driveway... lol

Everyone in D&M gets their own truck. Every lead hand has a truck period. The trucks all belong to SLB, and all have driving monitors in them. you are restricted on speed, braking, all sorts of stuff affects your drivers score. You are also restricted on the hours you can drive. Also we are all getting new 2008 fords this year to replace the 2004-2008 fleet.

hahaha thats what I wanna hear. Free truck fTW!!! lol D&M

pegasus
11-09-2008, 08:25 AM

Every 1/10th of a KM needs to be accounted for, suffice it to say, that means the truck really isn't YOURS per se'. taking the truck out for personal use is classified as a "driver zero" and (very well can be a) basically a fire-able offense if done more then once.

I guess, as time goes on... I can't help but laugh at how foolish new employees are, they think SLB just tosses money and benefits to you new guys, at absolutely no expense whatsoever. :rofl:

the other guy said they do... maybe in wireline they dont?

haha seems like D&M is the way to goooo.

but then again i just wanna make shitloads of money first 3 years..

ah decisions decisions. 2nd interview in 1.5 week. wow

es5052
11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I signed up for D&M, but I haven't heard back after my second interview. The recruiter said I will hear back within 5 business days, so next Wednesday the latest.

I asked to be stationed in Louisiana, and asked to go off shore to the gulf of Mexico.

Im guessing the recruiting process is different in Canada than it is in the USA.

broken_legs
11-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by es5052
I signed up for D&M, but I haven't heard back after my second interview. The recruiter said I will hear back within 5 business days, so next Wednesday the latest.

I asked to be stationed in Louisiana, and asked to go off shore to the gulf of Mexico.

Im guessing the recruiting process is different in Canada than it is in the USA.

Good Move. You'll learn LOTs in NGC. You'll run all the LWD tools penta combo, rotary steerable. NGC is pretty much the highest tier location with the exception of Saudi.

Graham_A_M
11-09-2008, 12:44 PM

the other guy said they do... maybe in wireline they dont?

haha seems like D&M is the way to goooo.

but then again i just wanna make shitloads of money first 3 years..

ah decisions decisions. 2nd interview in 1.5 week. wow

Must be D & M then, I know in Fracing and wireline they dont... I'm quite sure about cementng too.... BTW avoid cementing, they almost always work at night (like I say, almost always) and they are the lowest paying of the field tech type of jobs in SLB.

pegasus
11-09-2008, 01:07 PM
ye... D&M is what i am leaning towards for sure!!

MWd..LWD all that stuff.

I am so pumped for this interview. schlumberger here i come.

everyone is asking where they wanna be placed? Is that possible?

i would love to be closer to home (windsor,ontario) ... but I wouldnt mind BC, or alberta.... snowboard on my days off in the rockies!

I wouldnt mind somewhere in India or something either.
Off-shore would be an unreal experience too.

es5052
11-09-2008, 01:13 PM
For the US, when they do recruitment from college career fairs, they have group of students fly out to a selected location for the second interview. The place where the second interview is, is irrelevant to where you will be located, unless you decide to pick a segment at that location.

Going abroad is hard, the recruiter told me only 10% of new field engineers do go abroad.

pegasus
11-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Ohcool.

Well i am a year away fromg graduation. Sep 2009 is the start date i gave them. They are flying me out to Calgary. 2 days. So i suppose alberta location is what they will put me at. They said during phone interview that their is a need of more engineers there.

Graham_A_M
11-09-2008, 09:09 PM

i would love to be closer to home (windsor,ontario) ... but I wouldnt mind BC, or alberta.... snowboard on my days off in the rockies!
They wont put you in places like India, or doing offshore until you've proved you know what you're doing, and are willing to stick around. I really cant see them putting you on offshore or elsewhere (continent wise) without there bieng a DIRE need in that specific place...
even then....

But if you want to be close to the mountains, I'd shoot for Nisku, Red Deer, Grande Prarie or Whitecourt even.
all are a few hour drive over to the mountains.
Actually shit, there is also operations in Ft. St. John & Dawson creek, basically on the BC side of where GP would be in Alberta, as in distance to the BC/Alberta border.
I remember SLB in Dawson creek wanted to hire my co-worker for the wireline division there.

I'd stick to Red Deer, GP or Nisku. They are big cities, and there is a lot to do there. In Dawson creek or Whitecourt, both are small towns, and there isn't nearly as much to do there.
Whitecourt isn't too bad, there is 10k people there, but its a dirty oil and gas town, and I hated it. The more northern the city, the more of an ongoing sausage party you're likely to experience there.
Whitecourt was bad, the guys dont go to clubs to meet chicks, as there are no quality, single ones really.... they go there to get drunk and scrap with the bouncers. Seriously.... I was a bouncer there for a while... it was quite the gig. :nut:
Quite the town, I sure enjoyed seeing it disappear in my rear view mirror for the last time.

seadog
11-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Yah seems like we're hurting for engineers, lots quitting. Can't imagine why. I'm leaning towards getting out after the winter and I haven't even broken out yet. Other than money it seems North Alberta offers very little in quality of life. I love the job except for the work/life balance. And the heaps of travel I was told I'd get but didn't quite materialize. I still remember their "you're gonna get more than you bargained for" chuckle when I told them I wanted to travel.

I interviewed with Weatherford, 2 engineers on shift, and they get a free truck so I was told. But then Slb promised me a lot of nice things in their interview as well. Slb was a bigger and better name so I went with them.

It may vary, but during the interview we were told MWD is basically always on call, so you may have had every other day off on average, but can't use the time to do anything fun outside of town etc. Other people I know literally had 4 days off in 6 months.

Graham_A_M
11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
^ yeah its a pretty shitty gig isn't it? I still remember how gung-ho you were when you had your first interviews.. now its Pegasus' turn. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm happy taking a pay cut, and staying in Calgary having a life which means being home everyday doing what I enjoy.
I miss the $6-8k a month take home... I do... but its not worth selling a month of my life for that sum of money, and being entirely miserable the whole time.:(

broken_legs
11-09-2008, 09:18 PM

They wont put you in places like India, or doing offshore until you've proved you know what you're doing, and are willing to stick around. I really cant see them putting you on offshore or elsewhere (continent wise) without there bieng a DIRE need in that specific place...
even then....

But if you want to be close to the mountains, I'd shoot for Nisku, Red Deer, Grande Prarie or Whitecourt even.
all are a few hour drive over to the mountains.
Actually shit, there is also operations in Ft. St. John & Dawson creek, basically on the BC side of where GP would be in Alberta, as in distance to the BC/Alberta border.
I remember SLB in Dawson creek wanted to hire my co-worker for the wireline division there.

I'd stick to Red Deer, GP or Nisku. They are big cities, and there is a lot to do there. In Dawson creek or Whitecourt, both are small towns, and there isn't nearly as much to do there.

D&M Has Bases in:
- Calgary (All Land rigs/Drill ships from NFLD to BC to the North Pole)
- St Johns NFLD (All East Coast Offshore)
- Lafeyette aka NGC (All OffShore)
- Denver Land
- Oklahoma City Land
- I think there may be a few smaller bases in USL somewhere.

Theres absolutely no reason why they wouldn't hire you into a high Tier offshore district as a green hand. I know people who were hired from Calgary to work in NGC, Beijing, Denver, St. Johns all at the same time as me. Now if you hire into Calgary, dont be expecting to work offshore, expect to work in Western Canada. If you get hired into NGC, you may never see a land rig.

I guess for wireline you have to be some sort of big shot to rig up a sheave and track depth offshore.

Graham_A_M
11-09-2008, 09:21 PM
^ I've never heard of it happening, and neither has my FSM or GP's wireline FSM. Thats why I came to that conclusion. Basically the only way it was possible they stated was to work up into being a General operator, and gain two years experience over and above that level.
From there transfers anywhere and everywhere were then possible, abiet under the FSM's consent.... all that was not possible until you met that criteria.

That was stated by the FSM's, and the managers that taught them. So I'm quite sure those are relevant grounds to base my opinion on.... but I can also understand that, those were for Wireline specific, both cased hole and open hole.

broken_legs
11-09-2008, 09:40 PM
A friend of mine from school just transferred from Brooks Wireline to Alaska and he works offshore at 3 years...

Who knows. I think we can all just agree to agree that Wireline is pretty crappy unless you can work a regular schedule.

pegasus
11-09-2008, 11:19 PM
lol man so many mixed reviews...

still tho. schlumberger is a huge company. great asset on the resume... plus the training is uncompareable.

super pumped ftw

pegasus
11-10-2008, 07:21 AM
wow... i had a dj gig last nite... got home at 2:00am...

class at 8:30. cudnt wake up.

lol i hope they teach some sleep management techniques during training.

Graham_A_M
11-10-2008, 08:16 PM
^ They do, you'll learn about "Sleep cycles" and whats known as a "Sleep bank".

Pretty straightforward stuff though... :dunno:

SJW
11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I worked for Schlum offshore for 3 years. Good work experience.

pegasus
11-10-2008, 10:51 PM
haha solid

ne idea on how many days before interview i will get flight information?

interview Nov 24th 25th...

so ye.. ?

SJW
11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
A good idea for you would be to research the D&M website and learn about their tools.

My favorite tool to run was the impulse. Not sure if they still have it around.

Anyway just a tip.

Supa Dexta
11-10-2008, 11:32 PM
ye... D&M is what i am leaning towards for sure!!

MWd..LWD all that stuff.

I am so pumped for this interview. schlumberger here i come.

i would love to be closer to home (windsor,ontario) ... but I wouldnt mind BC, or alberta.... snowboard on my days off in the rockies!.

I'm not sure about others on here, but my 1 or 2 days I may get off a month I never had time to go to the mountains.. :dunno:

SJW
11-11-2008, 12:06 AM
This is Alberta.....wtf are days off?

broken_legs
11-11-2008, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

I'm not sure about others on here, but my 1 or 2 days I may get off a month I never had time to go to the mountains.. :dunno:

I only worked 174 days last year and I still cleared 6 figures :dunno:

Made it to the hill about 6 times:bigpimp:

SJW
11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Broken Legs empty your PM. Its full.

I worked outta Lafayette Louisiana in case you are wondering.

This was my home for 85% of my life on these rigs from 2000-2003

http://www.phoenixmwd.com/rigg1.jpg

http://www.phoenixmwd.com/rigg2.jpg

pegasus
11-11-2008, 09:18 AM
haaha 6 figs in 175 days
wowowo

<3 SLB.... interview needs to happen now!

es5052
11-11-2008, 09:40 AM
How is life on an offshore rig?

Supa Dexta
11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I mean my 1 or 2 days off in the winter months, the ones where you TD at like midnight then pack up and drive home only to fall asleep all day... :rofl:

But hell I'm taking all summer off again!:burnout:

pegasus
11-11-2008, 12:28 PM
lol that bug tripped me out the first time i saw it.

haha

SCHLUMBERGER! SCHLUMBERGER!!

badatusrnames
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
haaha 6 figs in 175 days
wowowo

&lt;3 SLB.... interview needs to happen now!

lol that bug tripped me out the first time i saw it.

haha

SCHLUMBERGER! SCHLUMBERGER!!

:rofl: I can't wait to hear from you six months after you've been on the job.

You really need to manage your expectations and be a little more realistic. Right now it sounds like no job can live up to how high your expectations for SLB are.

SJW
11-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Offshore life sucks after year 1.

Before that its cool and exciting.

es5052
11-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Offshore life sucks after year 1.

Before that its cool and exciting.

lol...good facilities though? like sleeping quarters..kitchen..gym etc?

seadog
11-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I just thought of this thread, because my friends facebook status just became "XXX is finally getting Monday and Tuesday Off after 90 days !"

On my first days with this company they said one of the corporate goals was to fix the turnover. 75% of Junior Field Engineers's were quitting (ie less than 6-10 months experience) then something like a third in the first year after that.

Given that you can ballpark 100k, that should give you an idea of what your in for lifestyle wise which based on your posts I don't quite think you do. 100k isn't enough for 3/4 the ppl they hire. Of those 1/4 that do stay, some of them are basically tied in due to student loans, new 50k trucks they bought they day they were hired etc which means theres even less staying by their own free will.

I guess its really one of those things you have to live through. No amount of explaining I don't think would have done it for me, you need to be up straight to the point of hallucinating and looking forward to long computer processes because it means 12 seconds of shuteye, and knowing that you still need to do about another 2 hours of physical work in -30 to really understand.

SJW
11-11-2008, 02:18 PM

lol...good facilities though? like sleeping quarters..kitchen..gym etc?

Depends what rig you are on. 90% of the time they are pieces of shit in the Gulf of Mexico.

snipa_mini85
11-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Any of you guys have an idea about Schlumberger's SIS department?

I had an interview and an offer from them but so far the employment papers are being held up because of what has been going on recently with the industry in general.

pegasus
11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by snipa_mini85

I had an interview and an offer from them but so far the employment papers are being held up because of what has been going on recently with the industry in general.

really eh? them too?

wow

i hope my interview and everything goes through. the economy hasnt taken as big of a hit in canada as it has in the US.

broken_legs
11-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by snipa_mini85

SIS is office work. AFAIK you work on/with software programs like Petrel and others that Schlumberger owns/uses. I've met a few guys from SIS. After a yea in SIS they are already doing the same OFS schools i had to wait for 3 years to get into.... But then again its totally different than field work.

As far as D&M, i spoke with the DnM president today (he was visiting our shop) and explained they would be hiring 1000 new field engineers through 2009 worldwide. As a business DnM has been putting out some pretty significant growth numbers and even though there has beena commodity bust and we are looking at world wide recession the business is expected to continue significant growth.

es5052
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Got a job offer from SLB today, for Field Engineer Trainee at Youngsville, Louisiana (D&M)

:burnout:

pegasus
11-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Got a job offer from SLB today, for Field Engineer Trainee at Youngsville, Louisiana (D&amp;M)

:burnout:

haha congrats!

SJW
11-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Go down there for a while. Thats where I worked. Its just out of Lafayette. The experience will get you ahead in life quickly.

pegasus
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
how long before interview should i expect my itinery...?

canada side

SJW
11-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Well if it hasn't gotten there a week before i'd be making some calls.

pegasus
11-12-2008, 09:44 PM
well my interview is nov 24th 25th..
if its not here by end of this week then i will make the calls.

camilie nivea. do u know her? she is the recruiter