PDA

View Full Version : Resorts of the Canadian Rockies are eliminating man-made parks

Canmorite
11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Thats right. All the jumps, half-pipes, quarter pipes, tables, gaps, etc will be eliminated due to safety concerns. :thumbsdow

Thursday, November 08, 2007

RESORTS OF THE CANADIAN ROCKIES FOCUSES ON TERRAIN PARK SAFETY WITH AN INDUSTRY-LEADING INITIATIVE

Calgary, AB – November 8, 2007 - Resorts of the Canadian Rockies Inc. (RCR) is recognized as an industry leader in providing world-class guest experiences at its mountain resorts throughout Canada. In doing so, RCR believes that safety in its mountain environments is one of its most important values. Supporting this mandate, RCR is moving in a new direction that will enhance safety at all of its resorts.

RCR cares deeply about the well-being of all of its guests and takes responsibility for their care very seriously. “We are undertaking an industry-leading initiative,” says Matt Mosteller, Senior Director of Business Development for Resorts of the Canadian Rockies. “All man-made snow jumps will be eliminated from RCR terrain parks this season.”

“We have found that one of the main issues that increase the likelihood of serious injury on our mountains is big air,” says Mosteller. “When we are making decisions about safety at our resorts, the big jumps in the terrain parks always come into the equation. We decided to make a change.”

Continues Mosteller, “We are committed to providing our guests with a safe experience at our mountains. We realize that this change may disappoint some guests who regularly use these man-made jump features. However, we believe we have a strong moral obligation to not compromise the safety of our guests.”

At the same time, RCR will be making an increased investment in new rails and features for RCR’s terrain parks. For example, this year’s RCR TELUS Park at Lake Louise Mountain Resort features the highest-ever investment in new, state-of-the-art rail features that will cater to a wide variety of ages and abilities. RCR will have rail parks this season at Lake Louise Mountain Resort, Fernie Alpine Resort and Nakiska.

With the new rail park format, RCR will host a Rail Jam Series that will take place at Lake Louise Mountain Resort, Fernie Alpine Resort and Nakiska. Features used in the Rail Jam Series will be suitable for a high level of competition, while also adhering to safe practices.

For the past three seasons, RCR has also worked hard on developing its family-friendly terrain parks. These unique parks, separate from the larger parks, feature small rails, boxes and rollers, encouraging learning, safety and fun in a non-intimidating environment. The feedback on these parks has been positive and they will continue to develop at all of the resorts.

http://www.skircr.com/mediaCentre/pr_detail.asp?id=479

What a load of shit. Louise was my 'home' hill. I guess I'll have to go somewhere else if I want to ski park. Sunshine? :dunno:

Send your comments to: [email protected]

Aaaand Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9759026222&ref=mf

ercchry
11-09-2007, 12:03 AM
well i always liked sunshine more, and here is another reason to add to the list

elesdee
11-09-2007, 12:05 AM
WOW!! So lame!

Do people really get hurt more often doing big air than rails?? Wtf!? Hypocrisy! I am personally way more weary of rails than airing out. Although the seriousness of possible injury is great, I guess, when you're flying. And they probably have statistics to back it.

Now I am fucking glad Sunshine isn't part of it, and am even more glad that I got the season pass!

98type_r
11-09-2007, 12:07 AM
WTF?!?!

Louise used to always have the best park and now they're just going in the other direction completely?
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Russo
11-09-2007, 12:22 AM
yaa that does Suck... but thanks god sunshine is not part of that list :D

Canmorite
11-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
WTF?!?!

Louise used to always have the best park and now they're just going in the other direction completely?
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2-3 years ago I think Parkasaurus was there (or a similar event). The park was completely revamped for that event and the jumps were HUGE :eek:

Last years decrease in park size (and effort) was evident. It sucked, to say the least.

Now, to remove it and replace it with 'increased investment in rails' just doesn't fucking cut it, RCR :thumbsdow

ercchry
11-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

2-3 years ago I think Parkasaurus was there (or a similar event). The park was completely revamped for that event and the jumps were HUGE :eek:

super park!!!

yeah that was crazy, they had that one huge gap with the half pipe in the middle that was sweet

Canmorite
11-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

super park!!!

yeah that was crazy, they had that one huge gap with the half pipe in the middle that was sweet

Yea, Super Park. I guess RCR doesn't want that kind of exposure anymore...

CivicTunr
11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
imo, if you take the jump and you kill yourself its your own fault.

we might as well just eliminate everything dangerous.

98type_r
11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr
imo, if you take the jump and you kill yourself its your own fault.

:werd:
it's just Darwin at work if you eliminate yourself. It's just another case of the few ruining it for the masses.

I was there on a Sunday last season and they closed the one run beside the park for grooming mid afternoon and decided to route everyone through the park :banghead: :banghead: I still can't figure out why any bonehead would have decided to do that.

Kobe
11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
There is a bunch of facebook groups

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6981336578

Here if info on the first protest day

1st Protest November 24th at 12 noon On the saturday of the Mens Downhill in Louise we can attract huge worldwide media attention.
(note this is not my idea but I thought this is a good way to get the word out)

Get out your pickets and stick them in front of the cameras as much as you can... sure to attract attention.
And if you haven't already please sign the online petition

118 confirmed guests

Here is another facebook group as well

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13587930692

celicaguy
11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I just caught wind of this yesterday and I am depressed to say the least. I've saved alot of money and decided not to work and just ride this season. Rcr has pretty much kicked the snowboard community in the face. I hope all that bought a seasons pass as i did will be asking for refunds and going elsewhere. And lest face it, who the fuck goes to nakiska for anything but the park? Not to mention the fact that rail features there are not worth going for, they will loose a ton of business. please send in your complaints, this is bullshit.

AVATDL
11-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I can't believe this
this is just unbelievable.
Louise always had the best park!
and You know what kills me, is before you enter the park they have signs warning you that only advanced riders should ski in that area... give me a break.

sullygully
11-30-2007, 10:35 PM
I love how they are marketing their "no man made jumps" as an "Industry Leading Initiative".

The truth of it is simply this: They can't afford the cost of insurance. Their snow cats are falling apart because they don't put any money into there machines, their head mechanic quit, and all their other "mechanics" are 1st year apprentices!

Simply, they can't afford to make the park because they can't afford to maintain it.

I'm so glad I work for Sunshine, better money, better equipment, and bigger budget. Their park gets better and better every year, and even though they are years behind when it comes to park progression, at least they are progressing. Unlike Lake Louise, fir every step forward they take they go two steps back.

AVATDL
12-01-2007, 01:38 AM
its true, Sunshine has a better budget than Lake Louise for the terrain park.

Redlyne_mr2
12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
It's too bad Sunshine sucks balls to ski at.. oh well natural hits are where its at anyways.

dino_martini
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
RCR will have rail parks though. But you have to buy a rail pass, so essentially you go to the resort or the main RCR office here in Calgary, pay $5 for a season rail pass, sign a waiver, and they give you a $5 voucher for any RCR food or beverage outlet.

It sucks, but a rail park is better then nothing I guess.

http://www.skilouise.com/the-mountain/rcr-park-pass.aspx

Canmorite
12-02-2007, 12:03 AM
I love how rails are 'safer' then jumps at RCR. Knocking your teeth out on metal rails is really safe.

I've had worse injuries on rails then jumps. Nutting yourself isn't the nicest thing.

Hash_man
12-02-2007, 12:35 AM
^^ Thats exactly what I thought when I first heard of this. I havent really hurt myself on a jump since my first years boarding... but rails can be a bitch.

I have a feeling they will have a lot more injuries in an all rail park then one with jumps too.

AVATDL
12-02-2007, 11:31 PM
how the hell are rail parks safer??
i don't even comprehend this.

blueripper6
12-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by AVATDL

and You know what kills me, is before you enter the park they have signs warning you that only advanced riders should ski in that area... give me a break.

The sign isnt for you lol.. its for 9 year olds who play amped 3 and think they can bust 1080s and eat shit and break limbs.. I have seen it happen lol.

Whoever made this decision must not snowboard.. :dunno:
idiots!

sullygully
12-03-2007, 01:11 PM
So The Lake pretty much shit on itself, as alot of park rats will be spending there days either at C.O.P. or Sunshine instead

The head park guy is a collegue of mine at Sunshine, and he says he's going to have the pretty much the same set up as last year, but instead of the hip at the bottom it will be another table. So basically, for all you air freaks out there, that means there will be 4 fair size hits this year that you can hit in a row. Two in the upper park, and two in the lower.

And on top of that will be the smaller punter hits, as well as a variety of rails and boxes.

Canmorite
12-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Sunshine's park has gotten a lot better over the last 5 years, but its still got a ways to go imo. Good to see they are building it up, though!

AVATDL
12-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't enjoy Sunshine... you're either blinded by the sun or the snow because of the lack of trees. Plus the runs are short and line-ups can be quite long.
Powder can be quite good however.

3g4u
12-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I dont like sunshine either but it is gonna be the only mountain near by with a park besides norquay. Fucking RCR, I have been buying a superpass for 7 years straight, next year im going with a sunshine pass if RCR doesnt get their shit together.

CivicTunr
12-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by AVATDL
how the hell are rail parks safer??
i don't even comprehend this.

the same person who came up w/ this idea, probally came up w/ the banning speeding cars on commercials, and the 50 over the limit rule.

canadianskyline
12-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I wonder if they are going to be destroying man made hits? I know ill be purchasing a shovel for Fernie out here, lol.

How far away is Sunshine/Lake Louise for you Calgary people?

Castle Mountain farther south is like 2 and a half or 3 hours (depending how you drive) from Calgary and their park will be really good this year. No lift lines and lots of powder/chutes too.

They should've just made helmets mandatory for the terrain parks or something.

Canmorite
12-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by canadianskyline
I wonder if they are going to be destroying man made hits? I know ill be purchasing a shovel for Fernie out here, lol.

How far away is Sunshine/Lake Louise for you Calgary people?

Castle Mountain farther south is like 2 and a half or 3 hours (depending how you drive) from Calgary and their park will be really good this year. No lift lines and lots of powder/chutes too.

They should've just made helmets mandatory for the terrain parks or something.

Sunshine is 1 hour 30 from Calgary and Lake Louise is about 2 hours. Depends on road conditions, traffic, speed your travelling...

Helmets are reccomended but never mandatory. Dropping to flat from 20 feet up with a helmet on, won't protect your back unfortunately.