PDA

View Full Version : Service ASAP?

TheLegend889
11-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Hello, I am looking to get my car looked at. I beleive that my break pads are rubbing on my rotars, producing a very loud squeqing(sp) noise from the front wheel wells. I am just wondering where I could take my car right away to get it looked at/fixed. If I don't get this fixed asap is there any potential servere damage that could be caused? Is there any other suggestions on what this is? thanks!

Schwa
11-09-2007, 12:44 PM
It sounds like your pads are worn out and thus the metal backing of the pads are scraping against the rotors causing the noise.

Does this occur only when you are braking?

You are looking at having to get new brake pads and new rotors. You can also get the rotors turned if they still have enough thickness. The shop would be able to let you know.

Any place that does brakes should be able to help you out. Fountain Tire, Midas, CT, Walmart, etc.

TheLegend889
11-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks, actually the only time the squeaking doesn't occur is when I am on the breaks.

Schwa
11-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Hmm, it could be any number of things. Might be a caliper issue then.

I'd just bring it into a shop and have them take apart the front assembly to see what the problem might be.

Even better if you can pinpoint what side it is coming from. If it's only coming from one side, to me that would point to caliper failure.

TheLegend889
11-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Hmm, alright thanks again. It was originally coming from drivers side wheel well. I have booked an appointment with jack carter chev for this upcomming wednesday. Is it safe to drive untill then

The Cosworth
11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
The squeelers that come with all brake pads squeel when they are not being used and stop when you press the brake, because this lets you know that they are worn, as it is contrary to other squeeling noises

Just book somewhere for the next week, you SHOULD be ok

TheLegend889
11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Thank you very much!
Does anybody know if this should be covered under any sort of warranty

The Cosworth
11-09-2007, 01:07 PM
No it wont be, parts that wear (tires/brakes/clutch/fluids) would not be covered unless you can prove there was a defect (like brakes within 100km) but even then you could be super hard on your car so they could argue that too... i have seen a clutch on a '04 celica (new at the time) gone in just under 1000 and it was cause the guy couldn't drive it, so he had to pay to have it replaced.