PDA

View Full Version : turbo questions

ZC_CIVIC
11-09-2007, 08:49 PM
WEll i just found a guy out in ontario with a wrote off CRX with the ZC SOHC engine that has been turbo charged and i bought the whole kit off of him he told me i get -Turbo,Manifold,Wastegate,Bov,dowpipe,front mount intercooler,i/c piping and a fuel pump. pretty much everything i need but im thinking he wont send me the oil feed lines like the whole set up, so my question is as follows, ( i dont know much about turbos yet) where and how do i run oil feed and return lines? is there a T i can put from a oil feed line to somehwere else and for the return line do i just put the line into the oil pan? so can someone describe how i would run the lines so when i go to do an install i know what i am doing rather then guessing on the oil lines? i know ho to get everything else set up...oh yeah and installing an autometer boost gauge...? sorry to some these may sound like stupid questions but i really dont know and if u people think im a retard or somthing so be it i would just like to hear it from people that know what they are talking about rather then some do joe that dont know what a BOV even is right...so please let me know thanks!

zieg
11-09-2007, 09:12 PM
For the oil feed, you usually tee off the oil pressure sending unit. The drain, however, MUST go directly to the oil pan, with as little restriction as humanly possible.

The boost gauge can just tee off your wastegate line.

Oh and I dont think I am some dope that doesnt know what a BOV is, considering that I built my KA-T completely on my own, including a megasquirt standalone ecu and all the rest. ;)

edit: you didnt mention injectors or fuel/timing control in there.. you need to decide what to do in that area too.

RickDaTuner
11-09-2007, 09:21 PM
most guys would take an extra oil galley plug and place a fitting there for the turbo oil lines, and as was stated you should make sure that the oil return line goes directly to the oil pan as close to the pan bolts as possible, this is to ensure that oil being returned is able to return into the pan with only the help of gravity. those lines are all custom work, there really isn't a way to just bolt them on and go.

as for the boost gauge line, you want to pick a vacuum line that is the closest to the throttle body as possible, do not use the brake booster brake line, and I would not recommend using the waste gate actuation line to T into, that would cause turbulence in the vacuum line and make the car more difficult to tune.

I really think you should ask all the questions you can man, Turbos are not simple bolt on and go, they require a ton of maintenance and know how.

but good luck with you set up

ron korolak
11-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Know one should be telling him where to bring his oil supply line from until he tells us what kind of turbo he is running and more importantly if it is ball bearing or journal. Ball bearings require less oil pressure and usually recommend talking the oil supply from the head, journals are fine with either but I still like less oil pressure seems to keeps the piston seals from leaking better in my experience.

ron korolak
11-09-2007, 09:32 PM
I would assume that the oil pan on the motor well already have provisions for the return line, and while your at it why don't you just see if you can get the lines.

P.S Is the turbo also water cooled?

Annoyingrob
11-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by ron korolak
Know one should be telling him where to bring his oil supply line from until he tells us what kind of turbo he is running and more importantly if it is ball bearing or journal. Ball bearings require less oil pressure and usually recommend talking the oil supply from the head, journals are fine with either but I still like less oil pressure seems to keeps the piston seals from leaking better in my experience.
So put a restrictor on the oil line to the turbo. :)

zieg
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

So put a restrictor on the oil line to the turbo. :)

+1

My vacuum setup looks like this: I have a line going from my coldpipe straight to the wg. It comes like that stock on an sr. Then I have cut into the line to the brake booster (BEFORE! the 1-way valve) and put in a vacuum manifold. From there I have 4 ports. 1 is blocked off, 1 has a nipple with a cap on it for the dyno runs, one goes to my boost gauge and one goes to my MAP sensor. I've never had any issues doing it that way..