PDA

View Full Version : Best Vietnamese Subs?

dino_martini
11-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Anyone have a really awsome place for Vietnamese subs? I had one at Kimh Anh (spelling) on 17th ave today and it was really good. Im sure there are other places out there, anybody have a favourite?

toyboy88
11-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Have tried so many places the past few years...

Thi Thi subs (by harry hays) is still my all-time favorite.

Side note: the ones at mac hall are GROSS....

:thumbsup: :)

b18cr
11-11-2007, 04:18 PM
tai thai, on 17th by the 711 and western,
they also got one on 32nd in front of boston pizza
one by the ikea and.... somewhere else downtown:thumbsup:

lexIS300
11-11-2007, 04:25 PM
thi thi is the best hands down. thai thai is alright but doenst compare

dj_rice
11-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Thi Thi #1

Theres this sub place in Chinatown, inside that mall where Treasures Of China is beside....I think its called Trung Nguyen...#2

And the 3rd one for me would have to be the one near Lucky's Supermarket

BBQ Pork Sub FTW!

But this is repost

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/128456/vietnamese-subs/

:repost: :repost: :repost: :repost: :closed: :closed: :closed:

clem24
11-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I seem to get the runs everytime I go to Thi Thi. They are still the best hands down, but not so good afterwards... My faves are Thi Thi and La Cay in NE. And ya, subs have been debated to death on this forum.

Tik-Tok
11-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by b18cr
tai thai, on 17th by the 711 and western,
they also got one on 32nd in front of boston pizza
one by the ikea and.... somewhere else downtown

gave 2 of us food poisoning their 2nd week open, and another one the next week :thumbsdow

Kritafo
11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Thi Thi the original one...by Harry Hay's. and I second the sub place inside the Far East Shopping center just around the corner.

I don't get the stomach problems afterwards if I don't get the special mayo they use. Yes it's a little dryer but much better on the stomach...

msouther
11-11-2007, 07:40 PM
"Thi Thi subs (by harry hays) is still my all-time favorite."

I agree with this too. I have tried quite a few places and this is the best. I like the owners too.

Type_R_Prince
11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Le Da in lil saigon on 17th S.E. is the best for beef sate!!! :thumbsup:

saiyajin
11-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Thi Thi #1

Theres this sub place in Chinatown, inside that mall where Treasures Of China is beside....I think its called Trung Nguyen...#2

And the 3rd one for me would have to be the one near Lucky's Supermarket

i too would rank my top 3 as that as well
:werd:

:thumbsup:

szw
11-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Anyone know where to get a good viet sub in toronto? Can't find anything that is remotely close to what you get in Calgary.

gatorade
11-11-2007, 10:37 PM
thai thai gives me the runs too

sputnik
11-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Thi Thi

Everything else is just bland in comparison.

riceboi
11-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Not that I want to discredit Thi Thi and other viet subs places in Calgary but I really question their authenticity of making true "vietnam subs". In my opinion, their subs have been "westernized"...
Remember back in the early 80s when there was no viet noodle soup house in Calgary and eating instant noodles felt so good.

The pictures in this link show the true way of how an authentic "viet sub" is made:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noodlepie/tags/banhmy/

Believe it or not this is how they sell subs in VN.

These true authentic subs would put Thi Thi and many of the viet sub places in Calgary back into the minor league.

szw
11-22-2007, 02:15 AM
You mean food in Canada isn't authentic?? OMG

riceboi
11-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by szw
You mean food in Canada isn't authentic?? OMG

These days you can find alot of of authentic ethnics foods compared to 10-15 yrs ago.

Speed_69
11-22-2007, 02:27 AM
any good viet sub places in the NW or near the airport?

whitexboi69
11-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Sate sub has good vietnamese subs, its by 7th ave and 9th st.

SilverGS
11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by riceboi
Not that I want to discredit Thi Thi and other viet subs places in Calgary but I really question their authenticity of making true "vietnam subs". In my opinion, their subs have been "westernized"...
Remember back in the early 80s when there was no viet noodle soup house in Calgary and eating instant noodles felt so good.

The pictures in this link show the true way of how an authentic "viet sub" is made:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noodlepie/tags/banhmy/

Believe it or not this is how they sell subs in VN.

These true authentic subs would put Thi Thi and many of the viet sub places in Calgary back into the minor league.

You are right. But the same could go for every ethnic food in Calgary or anywhere else where it did not originate.

The chinese food in Calgary is not bad but when you go to Hong Kong and have it there coming back here is difficult

Splooge
11-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69
any good viet sub places in the NW or near the airport?

Essence of Saigon and this other viet restaurant...both across the street from Churchill High school. Essence of Saigon is across the fence. lol Sorry my description is really bad.

Masked Bandit
11-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I've never had a Vietnamese Sub before but I've seen all the places selling them. What's the difference between a Viet sub and a regular sub?

dj_rice
11-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I've never had a Vietnamese Sub before but I've seen all the places selling them. What's the difference between a Viet sub and a regular sub?

It has Vietnamese ingredients DUHHHHH and prepared by a Vietnamese person DUHHH...

But to be serious, Vietnamese sub and regular sub have the same principals, cept Viet subs, first and always start out with a nice French Baguette, then its smeared with usual some "Viet" style mayonnaise or pate spread or both sometimes, then theres the meat filling, which can vary from BBQ pork to "cha" which is Vietnamese sausage which is I think ground pork/spices/fish sauce then wrapped up in a banana leaf/tea leaves and steamed...theres lots of fillings etc....then after that, its lightly toasted to get the outside Sub crispy, crunchy while the inside is still moist and chewy, then to finish, they put in cucumbers, onions, pickled carrots, jalapenos and lastly cilantro, in certain subs they also finish with peanuts and fish sauce...

The typical popular Viet sub would have to be Banh Mi Thit Nguoi which is the Western Equivilent to Cold Cut Trio

01RedDX
11-23-2007, 07:27 PM

dj_rice
11-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/102999007_6295a08e46.jpg?v=0

That doesn't look much different from anything you can get at Thi Thi...

That guy doesnt even know WTF he is talking about, I think hes white, saying Viet Subs got "westernized" WTF....care to explain how they are "Westernized"...and saying how in the 80's there were no Noodle houses in Calgary..the only reason is the Vietnamese Immigrant Community did not have money to just start up a business like that...arriving to Calgary I'm sure many of them were dirt ass poor, and getting a job that paid $1-2/hr didnt help out either...if you were "authentic Vietnamese" you'd have Pho in your own house that was cooked by your mother who cooked the stock for 6-8 hours or even overnight sometimes...

kambo.king
11-23-2007, 10:17 PM
u know thi thi is over rated there high class
its better to go to a sub place is a shitty place then u actually get your money worth
or pho too for pho the shitter the resturtant the longer they long to make the soup

punky
11-23-2007, 10:30 PM

It has Vietnamese ingredients DUHHHHH and prepared by a Vietnamese person DUHHH...

But to be serious, Vietnamese sub and regular sub have the same principals, cept Viet subs, first and always start out with a nice French Baguette, then its smeared with usual some "Viet" style mayonnaise or pate spread or both sometimes, then theres the meat filling, which can vary from BBQ pork to "cha" which is Vietnamese sausage which is I think ground pork/spices/fish sauce then wrapped up in a banana leaf/tea leaves and steamed...theres lots of fillings etc....then after that, its lightly toasted to get the outside Sub crispy, crunchy while the inside is still moist and chewy, then to finish, they put in cucumbers, onions, pickled carrots, jalapenos and lastly cilantro, in certain subs they also finish with peanuts and fish sauce...

The typical popular Viet sub would have to be Banh Mi Thit Nguoi which is the Western Equivilent to Cold Cut Trio

bahaha, I dunno if you're vietnamese or not, but you made a pretty damn funny mistake. When you say "Banh Mi Thit Nguoi "
I think you mean Banh Mi Thit Nuong, which means viet sub with bbq pork, while what you wrote mean, viet sub with human meat.
Just thought i'd point that out.

dj_rice
11-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by punky

bahaha, I dunno if you're vietnamese or not, but you made a pretty damn funny mistake. When you say "Banh Mi Thit Nguoi "
I think you mean Banh Mi Thit Nuong, which means viet sub with bbq pork, while what you wrote mean, viet sub with human meat.
Just thought i'd point that out.

Your 50% right but your also 50% wrong, Nguoi is human but if I put the symbols on the right place, it also means Cool/Cold which is what I was talking about...I dont have a Vietnamese font

Banh Mi Thit Nguội is what I was talking about....Human is Người but thanks for coming out :thumbsup:

punky
11-23-2007, 11:06 PM
haha, thats what u were trying to say. nguoi just happens the be the first word i'd thought without the viet font, funny coincidence. Anyway carry on with the original thread.

TC2002
11-24-2007, 12:06 AM
I used to go to the one off 36th Street. I think it's called La Cay's.

Now that I'm living in the deep South, I'm looking for one there...

anhthanh
11-24-2007, 12:10 AM
banh my phuong on 17 th ave is the best hands down.
btw when riceboi says vietnamese subs been "westernized" i think he means its been modified a lil bit so it can be appealling to other races then just vietnamese. if i remember orignal viet subs which had one sided home made butter and the 2nd half some brown sauce with beef,chicken or cold cuts + ur vegies. so just those three selcetion which is not alot. now thi thi and thai tai has westernized it by using chesse which appeal to more people instead of the traditional butter and brown sauce. cuz i know most viet parents would say thi thi and thai tai subs taste like something from macdonalds cuz it has alot of chesse in it, and would perfer the traditional vietnamese subs. just imagine going to thai tai and ordering ur favourite sub with teh traditional vietnamese sauce instead of chesse. it probbaly won't taste the same.

therfore those places just added chesse which alot of western people like in thier subs instead of the traditional sauce. they just added something simple as chesse which gave teh viet sub a new taste and now everyone eatting viet subs. :) im not saying those store aint selling auth viet subs, they just took something that was already good and made it better and now making mad $$$

im not reallie good at writing but hope u guys kinda undertsand wat im trying to say.

dj_rice
11-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by anhthanh
banh my phuong on 17 th ave is the best hands down.
btw when riceboi says vietnamese subs been "westernized" i think he means its been modified a lil bit so it can be appealling to other races then just vietnamese. if i remember orignal viet subs which had one sided home made butter and the 2nd half some brown sauce with beef,chicken or cold cuts + ur vegies. so just those three selcetion which is not alot. now thi thi and thai tai has westernized it by using chesse which appeal to more people instead of the traditional butter and brown sauce. cuz i know most viet parents would say thi thi and thai tai subs taste like something from macdonalds cuz it has alot of chesse in it, and would perfer the traditional vietnamese subs. just imagine going to thai tai and ordering ur favourite sub with teh traditional vietnamese sauce instead of chesse. it probbaly won't taste the same.

therfore those places just added chesse which alot of western people like in thier subs instead of the traditional sauce. they just added something simple as chesse which gave teh viet sub a new taste and now everyone eatting viet subs. :) im not saying those store aint selling auth viet subs, they just took something that was already good and made it better and now making mad $$$

im not reallie good at writing but hope u guys kinda undertsand wat im trying to say.

The sauce is just Vietnamese mayo and the brown sauce ur talking about is Maggi and theres still certain Viet sub places that didnt "Westernize" their subs, they stick by the traditional recipe :thumbsup:

riceboi
11-24-2007, 02:37 AM

That guy doesnt even know WTF he is talking about, I think hes white, saying Viet Subs got "westernized" WTF....care to explain how they are "Westernized"...and saying how in the 80's there were no Noodle houses in Calgary..the only reason is the Vietnamese Immigrant Community did not have money to just start up a business like that...arriving to Calgary I'm sure many of them were dirt ass poor, and getting a job that paid $1-2/hr didnt help out either...if you were "authentic Vietnamese" you'd have Pho in your own house that was cooked by your mother who cooked the stock for 6-8 hours or even overnight sometimes...

:) ...thanks for your politeness, I'm a vietnamese and I know exactly what I'm talking about. I actually grew up w/ Banh Mi Thit, it was my daily breakfast for years in VN before I came to Canada. In fact, I've became so interested in this food that in the 8-10 major cities in North America that I visited, the first thing that I tried in each of the so called "Little Saigon" towns is the Vnese Sub.

What I meant by "Westernized" I think AnhThanh described it best. It's the modifications from the traditional Banh Mi Thit like the piece of cheese, the processed beef/chicken meat and other things to make an appeal to the mainstream.

If you have lived in VN for long period of time you probably familiar with the way how Banh Mi Thit is made...the red roll of "thit ba chi" (vietnamese bacon) cut in thin slices or small chunks, the red sauce (nuoc sot xiu mai), fish sauce(nuoc mam)..just to name a few.

I didn't mean to offend anyone but in the early 80s it was so difficult to cook an authentic vietnamese noodle soup with limited ingredients that you had. These days, it's not an issue anymore. Authenticity is not dictated by how rich or poor you are. Put it this way, try to order a noodle soup bowl at the Oriental Pheonix and you'll be surprised of what you will get. Yet, this restaurant chain is well known by many Calgarians. I wouldn't bring my Canadian friends there if I want to introduce them vietnamese food.

PS: Btw, this is a question for you since you questioned where I came from? Have you eaten "bo bo" (low quality wheat) as meal replacement and stood in a longline with your rice coupons (so gao) to get your family daily food quota.

mikemasoncun
11-24-2007, 02:50 AM
saigon givral on center st north

snerl
11-24-2007, 05:46 PM
i didnt see if anyone had posted, but the little vietnamese resuraunt in upper silver springs actually makes a great sub! if you dont wanna go all the way downtown and live in the NW check it out, defiantly worth your money.

dj_rice
11-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by riceboi

:) ...thanks for your politeness, I'm a vietnamese and I know exactly what I'm talking about. I actually grew up w/ Banh Mi Thit, it was my daily breakfast for years in VN before I came to Canada. In fact, I've became so interested in this food that in the 8-10 major cities in North America that I visited, the first thing that I tried in each of the so called "Little Saigon" towns is the Vnese Sub.

What I meant by "Westernized" I think AnhThanh described it best. It's the modifications from the traditional Banh Mi Thit like the piece of cheese, the processed beef/chicken meat and other things to make an appeal to the mainstream.

If you have lived in VN for long period of time you probably familiar with the way how Banh Mi Thit is made...the red roll of "thit ba chi" (vietnamese bacon) cut in thin slices or small chunks, the red sauce (nuoc sot xiu mai), fish sauce(nuoc mam)..just to name a few.

I didn't mean to offend anyone but in the early 80s it was so difficult to cook an authentic vietnamese noodle soup with limited ingredients that you had. These days, it's not an issue anymore. Authenticity is not dictated by how rich or poor you are. Put it this way, try to order a noodle soup bowl at the Oriental Pheonix and you'll be surprised of what you will get. Yet, this restaurant chain is well known by many Calgarians. I wouldn't bring my Canadian friends there if I want to introduce them vietnamese food.

PS: Btw, this is a question for you since you questioned where I came from? Have you eaten "bo bo" (low quality wheat) as meal replacement and stood in a longline with your rice coupons (so gao) to get your family daily food quota.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: sorry if you took offence, I didnt mean to cause any, if you had just described it the way anhthanh did then I would of understood what you meant by "westernize", I just thought u were người tây and didnt know what you were talking about....also reason being, the place I go to, they dont even offer cheese so another reason why I didnt understand "westernize" but no hate towards you now, Nammer Pride Worldwide :thumbsup:

DarkDream
11-25-2007, 04:23 AM
I had Thi Thi subs before and i didn't really like there subs all to much. I find the subs in that mall next to where tresure of china use to be in downtown to be the best :thumbsup:

dj_rice
11-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream
I had Thi Thi subs before and i didn't really like there subs all to much. I find the subs in that mall next to where tresure of china use to be in downtown to be the best :thumbsup:

Thats my 2nd favorite place, they're called Trung Nguyen, I find they have the best meat to bread ratio compared to other places....

JDM¦FC
11-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Thi Thi FTW
There is also i new location of thi thi in the SE
Just off of 130th avenue at south trail crossing.
Not as good as the original by harry hays however but still the exact same ingredients and what not

sdiep
11-25-2007, 05:36 PM
I agree with Thi Thi, being a good choice.

When my parents come down to visit me, they usually go there to get it. If they are in that area, they usually go to a place near the Lucky Supermarket...

tson
12-05-2007, 01:34 AM
beside luckys sate

gonefishing
12-17-2007, 11:55 AM
anybody else try the rib sub at Thi Thi? i friend got me one over the weekend and it was :drool: :thumbsup:

sputnik
12-17-2007, 12:55 PM
The rib sub at Thi Thi is by far my favorite sub they have!

ashee
12-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Bake Chef in Machall because it's convenient, haha.

szw
12-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
The rib sub at Thi Thi is by far my favorite sub they have!

Mine too. Almost as good as the McRib haha