PDA

View Full Version : T-Tops... again *sigh*

A790
11-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Okay, be honest. How much is it going to be to get this bloody leaky t-top fixed?

heavyD
11-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I bought the T-top guides and it fixed the leaks for me. Have you replaced the seals?

sputnik
11-13-2007, 01:37 PM
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/45/88/23298845.jpg

A790
11-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I bought the T-top guides and it fixed the leaks for me. Have you replaced the seals?

Yes I bought the guides as well but they seem to have not done anything. I don't know where the leak is coming from as the t-tops appear to be aligned perfectly.

I don't want to resort to caulking them but that's the next step perhaps after I change out the seals.

LLLimit
11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Changing out the seals might be the best.
I tried the rubber seal softener from Honda; Shin Etsu. It worked a little, as stop leaks from getting out of hand, but it just left grease stains all over the window if i didnt clean up properly

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2007, 11:09 AM
yah just change the seals.. theyre expensive but they have to be done.

clem24
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Question... Did you align the guides properly? To get the tighest seal, the smallest part has to point downwards. Did you get both the guides for the t-top (you need to rip them apart) and the guide that goes into the A and B pillar?

That should stop the leaks FROM THE T TOP... Then there's the frameless windows... I use the stick on foam weather sealing strips from Home Depot. You can always try that on your t-top. Or the caulking. There's a nice write up on mr2oc.com (I think) that teaches you how to use sandwich bags and the black caulking stuff and make a custom seal basically.

Changing seals will cost ya about $300 I think. Those seals are freakin' expensive... And if the t-tops are not being secured on tightly, it'll still leak...

The seal softener is useless. Tried it for a bit and and sucks dick.

A790
11-21-2007, 11:30 AM
To be honest, $300 to change the seals isn't a big deal to me so long as the leaking stops. I plan on driving the car from April until November/December next year and don't want any issues with leaks.

clem24
11-21-2007, 12:22 PM
^^^ Right... And what I am saying is, ensure your T-tops are making a tight fit, otherwise they'll leak regardless or whether or not your seals are good. I'll take a pic of the alignment of the guides tonight.

A790
11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by clem24
^^^ Right... And what I am saying is, ensure your T-tops are making a tight fit, otherwise they'll leak regardless or whether or not your seals are good. I'll take a pic of the alignment of the guides tonight.
Thanks bud, really appreciate the help :)