PDA

View Full Version : local urban legends...post em up

ekguy
11-12-2007, 11:04 AM
well we have a thread like this in a forum from back home and it's up to like 6 pages or so long and alot of creepy stuff in there....but thats back in NB....so what kind of local legends for Alberta??? post em up should make for an interesting read.

MilanoRedTeg
11-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Haunted Forest Lawn home that was for sale awhile back

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/189333/beautiful-home-in-forest-lawn-only-470/

Spoons
11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Place called Devils Playground. Story I guess is that it was a old school that burnt down, and some kids died in the fire. There is a farmer that lives right there as well and it is his land, and supposably his daughter died in the fire. If you try and go into the burnt down school he gets his dog to chase you and shoots salt pellets at you for trespassing.

For starters I don't believe the daughter bit, because the date of the fire, and his supposed age doesn't match up and isn't very plausible. But I do believe the farmer sending his dogs after you because well, I had one of the dogs chase me, and he shot his shotgun into the air. Never once have I ever had the guts, or chance without the farmer chasing you, to go inside. Supposably some fucked up shit goes on inside.

nikka
11-12-2007, 03:35 PM
^^^
this girl i know has told me about the place and her and a couple friends went in and she said you could hear wierd shit and it was soooo scary

nismodrifter
11-12-2007, 03:37 PM
hahhaah, old school Beyonders will remember a meet at that school/house in the PRE-Beyond days.

shawtie
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Haha We had a mini beyond meet there, theres a thread bout it somewhere.

Super_Geo
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I heard there are Red Lobsters in town where your probability of getting uppercutted is scarily high.

01RedDX
11-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Nissanaddict
11-12-2007, 04:01 PM
The nunnery? Do you mean the "Father Lacombe home" That big red brick one burnt down maybe 8-9 years ago (it wasn't 10, cuz I saw it burn and I haven't been in Calgary for that long). All the other old buildings are still there though.

01RedDX
11-12-2007, 04:09 PM

JRSC00LUDE
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I heard there are Red Lobsters in town where your probability of getting uppercutted is scarily high.

:rofl:

ekguy
11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
any ghost towns within easy driving distance of calgary

Weapon_R
11-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Theres a place in the far NW where they are just beginning construction. There is a piece of land there that is completely surrounded by trees and a rotting fence with the sign KEEP OUT.

If anyone's seen it late at night, they'll know what I'm talking about. You can see a house or shed of some sort hidden inside the trees.

icecreamvan
11-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Some say that there's a lady on a motorized chair on wheels in the southwest terrorizing people in Walmart, but I've never seen her before. Must be b/s made up by those anti-Walmart people. :guns:

DC2
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

http://www.ghosttowns.com/canada/alberta/wayne.html

There is a hotel thats supposedly haunted.. when you get into the town you see the sign population of... 3000, than 2000, and lower and lower.. they are all crossed out and now there is only 40.

wheelmanz24
11-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by DC2

http://www.ghosttowns.com/canada/alberta/wayne.html

There is a hotel thats supposedly haunted.. when you get into the town you see the sign population of... 3000, than 2000, and lower and lower.. they are all crossed out and now there is only 40.
my grandpa was born there hahaha

Graham_A_M
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

Back in late Junior high, me and 5 friends went over to this small town on the way to Drumheller called "Carbon".

Actually one of the guys' parents knew a couple that had a nice little farm close to the town. There was this old road that hadn't been used since the 60's there... now almost all grown over. But if you took it, it was take you past this abandoned mine.
(we all took the road one night, the same night that I tried weed for the first time, which really added to the paranoia of seeing this mine) It was summer time and there was this annual rodeo being held in Carbon, so we just walked towards the noise and lights. (The farm was about 2km's away from Carbon, the mine was about half way there).

There was a farmer who owned the land that this mine was situated on, we were warned not to go near the mine since he had guard dogs and all that, but we did it anway.

IT was like the whole place was just abandonded in about the early 60's. There were still hard-hats hanging off of hooks, punch clock time-sheets next to the table the time clock was on, lamps and paper work still on the desks. The kitchen equipment was all there, including most pots & pans. Light bulbs in all the fixtures... perhaps half a dozen people ever checked the place out since it was abandoned. The mining carts were still there and the loading trucks, everything... just how it was left. The mining tunnels were all boarded up not surprisingly, but that was it. Even a couple cars from the 40's and 50's still there.
If you were to take this "path" into the valley on the (pretty sure it was the east side) of Carbon, you can probably find it. Its really hard to find coming from Carbon though, as past the mine the road was bulldozed and you have a couple fields to walk through.

Pretty awesome time though. :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
11-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh yeah, this town is 5 minutes south of Drumheller. Pretty cool to see. That Atlas coal mine is a pretty cool place to visit.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/canada/alberta/eastcoulee.html

Spoons
11-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Theres a place in the far NW where they are just beginning construction. There is a piece of land there that is completely surrounded by trees and a rotting fence with the sign KEEP OUT.

If anyone's seen it late at night, they'll know what I'm talking about. You can see a house or shed of some sort hidden inside the trees.

Yeah I know what you are talking about. I live up by there. That place got torn down a couple years ago though.

EK 2.0
11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Legend has it that a girl hung herself in the clock tower of Balmoral Jr. High...I have NO Idea of when...but it was a story that was passed around when I went to school there oh so many years ago.

Graham_A_M
11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
There is this place called "the ranch" restaurant in fish creek (stay on Bow Bottom trail for seemingly forever, and it'll take you its door step)
It was once owned by some prosperous ranchers, but was later sold to what essentially was fish creek. But until it was restored and made into a restrauant, it was left untouched. IN the late 80's there was serial killer, I forget his name, but he's was this 30 something year old Chinese guy, I believe his name was Chris Lee or (something) Li? (I dont remember anymore) but he was hiding out in the ranch before he was caught shoplifting at the Bay in Southcenter. This happened in the mid 80's.

Brownwonder
11-12-2007, 06:48 PM
The bar tub girls at the old cowboys had fake boobs :poosie:

drtoohotty1
11-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
Some say that there's a lady on a motorized chair on wheels in the southwest terrorizing people in Walmart, but I've never seen her before. Must be b/s made up by those anti-Walmart people. :guns:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Damn got to it before i did.

Eclipse_Spyder
11-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

ive been here, looked scary at first but nothing out of the ordinary, except there was 2 horses at the back of the place, and there was some burned down little shed or small house

Eclipse_Spyder
11-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Place called Devils Playground. Story I guess is that it was a old school that burnt down, and some kids died in the fire. There is a farmer that lives right there as well and it is his land, and supposably his daughter died in the fire. If you try and go into the burnt down school he gets his dog to chase you and shoots salt pellets at you for trespassing.

For starters I don't believe the daughter bit, because the date of the fire, and his supposed age doesn't match up and isn't very plausible. But I do believe the farmer sending his dogs after you because well, I had one of the dogs chase me, and he shot his shotgun into the air. Never once have I ever had the guts, or chance without the farmer chasing you, to go inside. Supposably some fucked up shit goes on inside.

Ive been here aswell, pretty scary place, but go on halloween and its somewhat scarier, and the shotgun thing ive heard it and been chased by that dog too,

But the noises in the basement are fucked up, you can feel the presense of something down there

black_2.5RS
11-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Legend has it that a girl hung herself in the clock tower of Balmoral Jr. High...I have NO Idea of when...but it was a story that was passed around when I went to school there oh so many years ago.

I went to Balmoral too and heard that the tunnels underground were haunted. A couple of buddies and I went down one day after school and saw a bunch of old desks but we didn't see anything.

My friend of mine did tell me that the basement of Calgary Court Restaurant (ie: the washroom) is haunted....I did a search and didn't find anything. Not sure if anyone has heard this too.

mac_82
11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Way back in the day when my family first moved into Strathcona, and Christie Estates was just a field (late 80s), there was an old abandoned building, I think it was a church over there. I can remember going over there once and looking through the dusty windows and seeing some weird paintings and such on the walls. I heard some creepy stuff about that building, but I can't remember it right now.

Also I used to work at the Calgary Chamber of Commerce, and old 4 story building right downtown. That place is haunted, some weird stuff happened there, and there have been newspaper articles about it.

Kritafo
11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
there are some pretty good stories from this site as well.

http://www.capi7.ca/

We have had some weird stuff happen in our 7 year old house in Valley Ridge, they say weird things that happen in new houses more often than older ones.

A few years back Archaeologists from Stantec Consulting Ltd. excavated a portion of an archaeological site here in Valley Ridge, there was also a body found in 91 that of Jennifer Joyes, 17. Who know what went on after Happy Valley Park closed....there was another body found 2 km from hers as well.

MK1GTI
11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
There is this place called "the ranch" restaurant in fish creek (stay on Bow Bottom trail for seemingly forever, and it'll take you its door step)
It was once owned by some prosperous ranchers, but was later sold to what essentially was fish creek. But until it was restored and made into a restrauant, it was left untouched. IN the late 80's there was serial killer, I forget his name, but he's was this 30 something year old Chinese guy, I believe his name was Chris Lee or (something) Li? (I dont remember anymore) but he was hiding out in the ranch before he was caught shoplifting at the Bay in Southcenter. This happened in the mid 80's.

The dudes name is Charles Ng, he's a serial killer from California. He was on the run and hiding here in Calgary and I believe it was Fish Creek Park where he was found. He was caught shoplifting from the Bay downtown and ended up shooting one of the security people who tried to stop him. He was arrested and fought extradition to the US for a long time as he was facing the death penalty, he was eventually sent back to California and I think he may still be on death row.

edit: heres the info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ng)

EK 2.0
11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS

I went to Balmoral too and heard that the tunnels underground were haunted. A couple of buddies and I went down one day after school and saw a bunch of old desks but we didn't see anything.

My friend of mine did tell me that the basement of Calgary Court Restaurant (ie: the washroom) is haunted....I did a search and didn't find anything. Not sure if anyone has heard this too.

Ok I attended over like 15 years ago...but there were tunnels at that school??

I remember the bungalow where I had a few L.A. classes and that basement was freaky during the winter haha...you would hear the strangest things...but what are these tunnels you speak of?? And where were they??

shawtie
11-12-2007, 08:24 PM
So with alot of these abandoned towns who owns the land and homes/shacks ??

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-12-2007, 08:37 PM

I remember the bungalow where I had a few L.A. classes and that basement was freaky during the winter haha...you would hear the strangest things...but what are these tunnels you speak of?? And where were they??

The tunnels lead from Crescent heights to balmoral. Before crescent was built, balmoral was "Crescent college" which moved to where the high school is now. Also in the newer wing at crescent on the west side, all the bathrooms are locked, I've heard it's because some girl killed herself in one.

Also, I've heard the tunnels are collapsed/haunted as well.

Spoons
11-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Eclipse_Spyder

Ive been here aswell, pretty scary place, but go on halloween and its somewhat scarier, and the shotgun thing ive heard it and been chased by that dog too,

But the noises in the basement are fucked up, you can feel the presense of something down there

Yeah I have been there four or five times and never had the actual balls to go inside. I have gotten as near as one door inside, and part of my could just not move my feet to step in the door. I just couldn't.

The farmer and the dog don't help either, adds to the paranoia of it all. The dog chased me, but he is only trained to chase, but never attack. I was running from it and tripped, and the dog came running over, stood beside me, and just barked.

Xamim
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Also in the newer wing at crescent on the west side, all the bathrooms are locked, I've heard it's because some girl killed herself in one.

I was about to say that. I had a class up there once. I was walking down the stairs, on the far side of the hallway. As I got the the end of the flight of stairs I was passing the locked girls washroom. I remember thinking how freaky it was, because I was the only one there (no one ever uses those stairs) As I turned around to keep going down the stairs, there was a girl standing right in front of me. She looked like that chick from The Ring, long black hair covering her face. I fucking jumped up, she scared the shit out of me.:guns: Then shes like "Calm down, Im just going to class"

nismodrifter
11-12-2007, 10:20 PM

Tunnels at schools are not uncommon, I know that both my elementary and junior high school had some sort of weird hidden tunnel system. At every entrance of the school there were rubber mats to wipe your shoes on as you entered...if you stepped on one part of the mat you could hear a clanging like metal...we lifted up the mat and found out it was a metal door, lifted up the metal door and there was a tunnel underneath that was crazy long. Anyone know what these would be used for?? I remember hearing rumors of them being there incase of some kind of war attack or some shit (the schools were old).

EK 2.0
11-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Tunnels at schools are not uncommon, I know that both my elementary and junior high school had some sort of weird hidden tunnel system. At every entrance of the school there were rubber mats to wipe your shoes on as you entered...if you stepped on one part of the mat you could hear a clanging like metal...we lifted up the mat and found out it was a metal door, lifted up the metal door and there was a tunnel underneath that was crazy long. Anyone know what these would be used for? I remember hearing rumors of them being there incase of some kind of war attack or some shit (the schools were old).

This makes sense to me Nav as Balmoral was built in like 1912 or something ancient like that...

but I never knew there would be tunnels from my Jr. High on 16th ave and like 2nd Street all the way to Cresent Heights High...

ekguy
11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
there has got to be more than this for a city this big we have 6 pages of some back home in NB. including the gravesite of a suspected witch. a supposidly haunted ww1 storage warehouse, a pirate grave (so they say) and much more...

rmk
11-12-2007, 10:34 PM
question: underneath macleod + glenmore, there is a door there. any ideas what thats about?

shawtie
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/82524/haunted-places-in-alberta-/

Check there maybe??

max_boost
11-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Well if ghosts do exist and you guys can prove it, this guy will give you $1million dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

Graham_A_M
11-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by MK1GTI

The dudes name is Charles Ng, he's a serial killer from California. He was on the run and hiding here in Calgary and I believe it was Fish Creek Park where he was found. He was caught shoplifting from the Bay downtown and ended up shooting one of the security people who tried to stop him. He was arrested and fought extradition to the US for a long time as he was facing the death penalty, he was eventually sent back to California and I think he may still be on death row.

edit: heres the info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ng)

Thanks dude, yeah thats the guy.

HybridTheory
11-12-2007, 11:03 PM

Is this place near 17th ave and 84th street? I always thought that Devils Playground was further on eastbound McKnight. Maybe I'm just confused :dunno:

Eclipse_Spyder
11-12-2007, 11:24 PM

Yeah I have been there four or five times and never had the actual balls to go inside. I have gotten as near as one door inside, and part of my could just not move my feet to step in the door. I just couldn't.

The farmer and the dog don't help either, adds to the paranoia of it all. The dog chased me, but he is only trained to chase, but never attack. I was running from it and tripped, and the dog came running over, stood beside me, and just barked.

wow i never had the dog actually come close to me, but i have been in the basement with like 5 other people though, 2 of my buddies legs went through the stairs on the way down to but alcohal is ur best friend in these situations

Spoons
11-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Eclipse_Spyder

wow i never had the dog actually come close to me, but i have been in the basement with like 5 other people though, 2 of my buddies legs went through the stairs on the way down to but alcohal is ur best friend in these situations

Yeah mush didn't exactly help my situation one time when I went there...

I'm not sure the exact address of the place.

Splooge
11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
does anyone remember (maybe about 6 years ago and more) that there was a well inside of Devils Playground?

i went back there about 2 years ago and it seemed like the well had completely dissapeared. maybe it was covered up wood and the grass grew over it but i couldn't seem to find it.

these are other places i've HEARD are haunted too.

- old asylum by st. mary's college
- dean house
- upstairs or downstairs of sakana grill in chinatown (old theatre)
- some school in chestermere
- some school in applewood

please correct me if i'm wrong.

Eclipse_Spyder
11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Splooge
does anyone remember (maybe about 6 years ago and more) that there was a well inside of Devils Playground?

i went back there about 2 years ago and it seemed like the well had completely dissapeared. maybe it was covered up wood and the grass grew over it but i couldn't seem to find it.

these are other places i've HEARD are haunted too.

- old asylum by st. mary's college
- dean house
- upstairs or downstairs of sakana grill in chinatown (old theatre)
- some school in chestermere
- some school in applewood

please correct me if i'm wrong.

Ive heard of some school in chestermere to but not sure of the name

rated_R
11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I have heard Rose & Crown Pub is haunted...been there but see nothing out of the ordinary maybe b/c I was too drunk

01RedDX
11-13-2007, 12:58 PM

finboy
11-13-2007, 01:04 PM

This makes sense to me Nav as Balmoral was built in like 1912 or something ancient like that...

but I never knew there would be tunnels from my Jr. High on 16th ave and like 2nd Street all the way to Cresent Heights High...

iirc, i was told they were "incase shit happens" tunnels incase of bombing during war time, but that could all be BS.

they are blocked off now, as 16th ave cut right through it.

i also heard about that washroom in crescent but i never really believed that.

Xamim
11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by finboy

iirc, i was told they were "incase shit happens" tunnels incase of bombing during war time, but that could all be BS.

they are blocked off now, as 16th ave cut right through it.

i also heard about that washroom in crescent but i never really believed that.

I heard that Crescent used to have a bomb shelter, somewhere in the basement.

Spoons
11-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Xamim

I heard that Crescent used to have a bomb shelter, somewhere in the basement.

I remember when I was in Air Cadets (yes yes, I know) I would go to camp at Penhold Airbase by Red deer as staff. Part of your duty was to know its tunnel based system, in case a cadet went down there and you lost him.

That shit was scary, some parts there would be no lights, and some unpleasant aromas too. It would also lead you to a bomb shelter that they would use for the Prime Minister.

black_2.5RS
11-14-2007, 06:36 AM
Other places that are haunted in Calgary are:
- The budget rentacar downtown (the one by the TELUS tower)
- The hose and hydrant (sp?) in Inglewood has a ghost Dog supposedly
- The hotel in Heritage Park
- Rouge restaurant (Inglewood) has a haunted washroom

mac_82
11-14-2007, 07:37 AM
- The hose and hydrant (sp?) in Inglewood has a ghost Dog supposedly

Hose and Hound. And it is haunted by a monkey, the old mascot of the firehall.

m3_powered
11-14-2007, 07:48 AM
http://theshadowlands.net/places/canada.htm

Here you go

adam c
11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
I went to wisewood and apparently there are tunnels that go from there to bishop grandon..

we had a grade 12 video where some students actually went in the tunnels for a few feet but it was to dark and dirty and cluddered to pass.. i heard they are there cause of the cold war?

Jayson
11-14-2007, 09:59 AM

frozenrice
11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by rated_R
I have heard Rose & Crown Pub is haunted...been there but see nothing out of the ordinary maybe b/c I was too drunk

Somebody told me that it used to be a funeral home long time ago.

403Gemini
11-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by adam c
I went to wisewood and apparently there are tunnels that go from there to bishop grandon..

we had a grade 12 video where some students actually went in the tunnels for a few feet but it was to dark and dirty and cluddered to pass.. i heard they are there cause of the cold war?

Whoa weird, i had a post typed up on how i went to grandin and i volunteered to help bring desks up from the "storage" area in the basement to help setup for the finals and we went into this one tunnel area where basically it was an endless row of desks and it went so deep that there werent lights at the very "end" ... now i wonder if that is just a continuing tunnel to wisewood....

(reason i didnt post it earlier is i accidently closed IE and figured "meh not worth my time to re-type" haha)

Mr.Buffy
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Rose and Crown used to be a funeral home

DonJuan
11-14-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm a Crescent Heights grad, I've been in the tunnels below the school. They used to do tours of them around halloween and stuff. There is a (WW2) shooting range down there, fired sell casings on the floor, and old desks. It's really dimly lit. We followed the main tunnel quite a ways, but ended up turning around cuz we couldn't see the end of it and it was dark at the other end (no flash lights). Didn't seem scary or anything, no weird feelings.

Dunno about anyone killing themselves in the bathrooms though. Although we did have a bathroom shitter while I was there (someone would go into the mens bathroom and take a dump on the floor, he was never found!!! OOOOOO!)

rage2
11-14-2007, 01:45 PM

The tunnels lead from Crescent heights to balmoral. Before crescent was built, balmoral was "Crescent college" which moved to where the high school is now. Also in the newer wing at crescent on the west side, all the bathrooms are locked, I've heard it's because some girl killed herself in one.

haha so many Balmoral folks. I went there too :rofl:.

Ya there's definately something creepy in the basement. I've explored a lot of it back in my day. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary other than old smells. Then again, the whole place smelled old.

topmade
11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
The only thing that's haunting that place is all the dead mice and rats they killed in the basement that try to get their food.

Originally posted by rmk
question: underneath macleod + glenmore, there is a door there. any ideas what thats about?
Probably just a elctrical or sewer closet. But that underground walkway is pretty scarry, I used to go through it all the time at night and I would hit the lights and run through as fast as I could and I even scared some people that were just entering from the other side :D

How about the house on crescent hill, just off Centre street? Supposed to be some old deranged army guy that lives there and he killed his family or something like that.

eina15
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
A long time ago I did a tour of the Saddledome with school, and we were told that two or three ppl died during construction, apparently one fell off the catwalk above the ice. Don't recall what the others were......

narou
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM

I was personally shown all of the blocked of tunnels or w.e except one area and they are pretty creepy.. I asked why they were blocked but was never given an answer... I also heard the story about the girl in the bathroom.. I believe it must be haunted for them to lock that bathroom.. Even the basement on that newer part of the school is usually locked unless they use the wrestling room for something and even when they go i there they close all the doors..

TKRIS
11-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Anyone who's successfully made it all the way down the tap line at the Rose & Crown can attest to the evil of that place...

EK 2.0
11-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2

haha so many Balmoral folks. I went there too :rofl:.

Ya there's definately something creepy in the basement. I've explored a lot of it back in my day. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary other than old smells. Then again, the whole place smelled old.

I dunno if you guys are babies...or if maybe you know of another basement at Balmoral...but man the area where the I/A room and Home Ec room and stuff was that is the basement I know of and that was not creepy at all...

Going up the stairs to the attic now that was creepy, and the "Bungalow" out back in the field scared the shit out of me to...haha...

seksy
11-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Many of the buildings at Heritage Park are supposedly "haunted". The Prince House in particular.

The Cosworth
11-14-2007, 07:05 PM
if you take center street north of Panorama there is a road that goes off (which is blocked by wood btw) to the east and the story I heard was that in the early years (Pre-60's) a teacher took his students there and killed them all.

Graham_A_M
11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by mac_82

Hose and Hound. And it is haunted by a monkey, the old mascot of the firehall. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
okie dokie, better watch out for it next time I'm there:thumbsup:

mboldt
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
The nunnery? Do you mean the "Father Lacombe home" That big red brick one burnt down maybe 8-9 years ago (it wasn't 10, cuz I saw it burn and I haven't been in Calgary for that long). All the other old buildings are still there though.

I showed up at the fatherlacombe place with the big ass burnt tower (which is now painted I believe) to shoot photos for a friends band... all of the padlocks to the red brick building which are usually on the doors were hanging on the latches unlocked and opened.. so we went upstairs and the floor was starting to give away in parts, so it was kind of sketchy, sections were missing already.. they had already gutted the upperfloor and I shot a few photos in there.. looked preeeetty creepy, paint peeling and floorboards rotting and sticking up.. Main floor is just storage for paint / table saw in there... bunch of other random stuff.. I went there at night another time however and the basement is scary as hell. There are tunnels / dirt hallways underneath that extend out of the basement... suuuper dark though, didn't go too far.

Apparently the story is that it was an orphanage for native boys and they were hung in gallows in fishcreek, and apparently those gallows still exist.. I wanna go wander and look for them.. I've never been to fishcreek before though.. I'm assuming they are redoing the whole red building though... so basement might be boarded up now.

Also apparently there is a house out near strathmore where everything inside is untouched and there are dead crows and crazy spiderwebs inside... scary well.. and some other stuff.. A good friend of mine lived out in Strathmore was terrified and she won't go back.