PDA

View Full Version : crazy accident on John laurie. (some pics)

spikerS
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Was coming home the other night along JLB doing the speed limit. Few cars ahead of us had an accident. was loud enough of a hit that we could hear the collision inside our car, about 40 yards away, and over the radio.

the 3 cars between us and the accident, just took off, but wife and I decided we should make sure people were ok. threw on the hazards in the left lane, as this was where the accident was, and parked about 15 yards behind it. whole idea behind this was to have the car act as a blocker while people were working around the accident. I get up there, and 2 guys are ready to start throwing punches and really go at it, so had to play peace keeper while talking on the phone to 911 to have the cops show up. and before anyone bitches, one of the vehicles was not drivable, so we left the whole thing on the road.

so, what caused the accident? near as I can tell, the initial cause was a lady in an acura had a tire blow out, tire shredded. Guy in a small red chevy sub compact decided to try and help her, threw on his 4 ways, and parked in the left lane. (idiot). gets out, and pushes the Acura off the road and onto the grass. In the mean time, the Dodge Dakota sees the 4 ways on, tries to cut into the right lane, but cant find an opening, and is slowing down gradually. when he can't get in, he has to hit the brakes to avoid hitting the parked car, and that is when the Ford Winstar literally plows into the back of him.

So the cops come, talk to everyone, and i also asked for the Fire dept to come as there is leaking coolant, transmission fluid and oil leaking from the winstar. while all this is going on, a second accident happens behind the fire truck. same set up really. dodge neon in left lane was trying to merge right, when a guy in a PT cruiser slams into the back of him. cops and FD run over. cops come back with the driver of the PT in Cuffs. later learned he was 2.5 times over the legal limit for BAC.

so, being the nice guy I am, change the lady's flat tire to her spare tire. then find out the the guy in the dakota had a few beers, but was not drunk, but the cops told him not to drive anyway. so the driver of the truck had his wife come pick him up, and drove the truck home, wife followed them in thier car, and then i followed so that I can bring my wife home after dropping off the 2 vehicles.

then, to top it all off, coming down stoney trail, i see a TON of flashing lights, and a cop pulls me over. will not let me pass, and this guy is in a TAC uniform. apparently the got some guy further down the road, and they have the road blocked off, and had to wait 25 mins before they would let me by.

what a crazy friggin night.

here are some of the pics.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/200711092339.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/200711092337.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/200711092336.jpg

cmodem
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
so i'm confused... did the lady who had the blown out tire stop in the middle of the left lane on JLB?

and man JLB is notorious for stupid drivers that don't let you into a lane... everyday coming home from university merging charleswood to jlb same thing... drivers who don't let you in... i'm not surprised it happened here. All those ppl in the right lane should go back to school and learn how to drive or never be allowed back on the road.

Like seriously is it that big of a deal to let one car into your lane? oh no it'll slow down your total commute by 4-5 seconds.

88CRX
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Your picks hurt my neck.

ianmcc
11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by spikers
threw on the hazards in the left lane, as this was where the accident was, and parked about 15 yards behind it. whole idea behind this was to have the car act as a blocker while people were working around the accident.

Originally posted by spikers
Guy in a small red chevy sub compact decided to try and help her, threw on his 4 ways, and parked in the left lane. (idiot).

Props to you for stopping to help, but you are contradicting yourself here.

Jlude
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Your picks hurt my neck.

not impressed

spikerS
11-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc

Props to you for stopping to help, but you are contradicting yourself here.

yes, i thought this would come up. i stopped there after the accident had happened and realized that the vehicles involved were not going to be able to move without a tow truck. The first guy could have pulled his car completely off the road to help.

adidas
11-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Good job for stopping and helping out the individuals.

My gf busted my balls one night when we drove by an accident and didnt stop by to help.

There was ppl already helping them out
Looked like everyone was out of their car walking
I had my summers on and it was snowing
I was in the far left lane and no way i would of made it to the shoulder unless i was to congest traffic

But now that i know that there is other things that happen after the accident, next time i will pull over and give a lending hand.

rmk
11-12-2007, 05:39 PM
you guys are good people

whiskas
11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Ironic that this wouldn't have happened if the guy in the chevy didn't help the lady in the first place. And the windstar is a jerk for not letting the truck in, this is why you always keep enough distance in front of you to allow another car to pull in ahead.

b_t
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Well see, if the lady had stopped in the middle of the road, maybe she would have gotten hit instead?

BokCh0y
11-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Whoa crazy accident!!!!!

Can you see what the common factor is in the pics?

Dodge Dakota
Dodge Neon
Chrysler PT Cruiser - aka Dodge.

What does this all mean? Dodge drivers are the WORST drivers!!!!!

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194934

hahaha

sputnik
11-12-2007, 10:37 PM
CRAZY! I have never seen an accident with SO MUCH twisted metal!

Would read again! A+

riander
11-12-2007, 10:48 PM
That is an insane accident wow

Mr_ET
11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
typical day in this city really.

Start with incredibly bad driving from everyone and then add something like it's dark or windy or some are drunk or it's too sunny or wet or snowy or raining and everyone will gladly drive into each other in this city.

My favorite accidents are rubberneckers checking out another accident and because they aren't looking in front of them like they should end up causing another one :clap:

with that all said good job on stopping and helping man. As much as people suck at driving here they are also very kind and helpful when an accident does happen and that is something I haven't seen anywhere else.

AVA
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
thats so so brutal

TipoBoy
11-15-2007, 01:39 PM
People seem to have two ideas when they get a puncture, either they can't drive the car at all and have to come to a stop no matter what lane they are in, or they decide they can drive for miles on the flat with the hazard lights on.

The worst thing to do when you get a flat tyre is to brake hard. Put the car into neutral and gradually slow down keeping the car in as straight a line as possible.

Cooked Rice
12-15-2007, 01:37 AM
There was another one last night on john laurie. It was a RSX and some sedan. The RSX was on the side of the road on the grass and had its rear bumper torn right off along with what looked like the reinforcement bar too?

88jbody
12-28-2007, 09:51 PM
a couple weeks ago I merge onto deerfoot south bound off 32nd

center lane is a 3 car pile up (all cars look driveable) not even park lights on the cars and it is dark out, I did not even see them untill I was close, luckily traffic was moving slow...then 40 feet up the road in the left lane same thing 3 car pile up no lights on any of the cars, all looked moveable.

and then all the people envolved standing in the divider.

like c'mon first turn on the hazards at least
and I would gues that one set of the cars were rubber neckers

and to add to my rant, I seen 3 times today in edmonton before a came home, emergency veichals trying to go through traffic and no one moving out of the way but me :dunno:

it really pisses me off because the extra time it takes because of that really can mean life or death at times