PDA

View Full Version : Acura CSX vs Honda Civic EX-L

acslayta
11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
My wife and I are lookin for a new vehicle because our current lease is up very shortly. We drove the Civic and we're really happy with it. However I just found out Acura has fantastic lease rates right now, 1.9% for 48, compared to the Civic which is 4.9% for 48. The difference between the two in terms of price is about $20/mth cheaper in favor of the CSX, and the CSX comes with a few extra things on top of that. HOWEVER, before you say 'you're retarded for even asking, it's obvious which is the better deal', I'd like to know if the total cost of ownership will be more with the Acura and we can expect the same great reliability too. Any current CSX or Acura owners know what to expect?

4doorj
11-12-2007, 05:03 PM
cost of ownership should be just about the same... they are almost the same car with a few differences

Super_Geo
11-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah but with the CSX you'll get the majority of uninformed car people thinking "ooooo, Acura eh?" instead of "oh, Honda..... eh"

slick2404
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Yeah but with the CSX you'll get the majority of uninformed car people thinking "ooooo, Acura eh?" instead of "oh, Honda..... eh"
haha bingo.
CSX :thumbsup:

Aleks
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I would guess service at Acura cost more than Honda?

Also keep in mind CSX will most likely be discontinued after this year which might affect the resale value, but if you're leasing I suppose that doesn't matter.

acslayta
11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by slick2404

haha bingo.
CSX :thumbsup:

Hehe, you guys got a point there. I must admit I always take notice when I see a CSX instead of a Civic.

My Honda guy called me today and I told him my situation and he said he could drop the Civic to make it worth my while. If the numbers turn out to be legit and better then the CSX, I'll just get Acura to at least match that and I'm good to go :thumbsup:

Skyline_Addict
11-12-2007, 08:44 PM
the CSX will have a bit more refinement than the Civic and the reliability should be identical for both since they are virtually the same car. a CSX cheaper than a Civic, good time to buy!

r3cc0s
11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
if you were to compare the type S to the SI

I'd refer you to the SI, being that it is at least 5grand cheaper off the bat...

however does anyone know if the SI stock has a suspension which is the same as the Type S?

acslayta
11-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by r3cc0s
if you were to compare the type S to the SI

I'd refer you to the SI, being that it is at least 5grand cheaper off the bat...

Interestingly it's nearly $7000 more but with a lease rate of 1.9% vs 5.9% for the Civic, monthly payments are only about $30 more for the CSX. Incredible what a difference interest rates make eh?

SilverRex
11-13-2007, 01:07 PM
I luv the CSX tail lights and obviously there isnt alot of CSX on the road. so I'll pick the acura if it cost about the same.

89s1
11-13-2007, 02:18 PM
FWIW, they are about to cease production on the CSX, hence the civic gettting the leather option.

Not sure if that makes it more or less desireable to you.

adam c
11-13-2007, 02:21 PM
i personally don't like the CSX, i would take the civic. but thats me

jdm01
11-18-2007, 02:00 AM
I think the csx uses premium petrol. That will add to the cost in the long run. personally, I would go civic. I hate csx's. especially the type-s, now that the Si sedan is out in canada now. And now that theres an EX-L civic, whats the point of the CSX?

Aleks
11-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by acslayta

Interestingly it's nearly $7000 more but with a lease rate of 1.9% vs 5.9% for the Civic, monthly payments are only about $30 more for the CSX. Incredible what a difference interest rates make eh?

Dropped to 3.9% on the Si this weekend if that matters to you.

Sorath
11-19-2007, 12:03 AM
i like csx tail and headlights better

Deetz
11-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by jdm01
I think the csx uses premium petrol. That will add to the cost in the long run. personally, I would go civic. I hate csx's. especially the type-s, now that the Si sedan is out in canada now. And now that theres an EX-L civic, whats the point of the CSX?

Not true about the fuel, the csx uses the base rsx engine which runs on regular gas. Only the Type S uses premium fuel.

acslayta
11-22-2007, 01:42 AM
So I ended up getting the CSX today. Worked out good - on a 48 month lease it's $396/month taxes in with nothing down. Lookin forward to taking delivery.

Aleks
11-22-2007, 07:54 AM
So I ended up getting the CSX today. Worked out good - on a 48 month lease it's $396/month taxes in with nothing down. Lookin forward to taking delivery.

Congrats!

How much off MSRP did you get?

Eleanor
11-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Congrats on the purchase! I would've taken the CSX too. The new civic: :barf: IMO

urban.one
11-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Too late now but what was the residual on each in case you wanted to buy it out at the end of the term?>

acslayta
11-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys. I got $1000 off the MSRP. I tried to get those bastards down even more but no go. I called a Regina dealership (because we only have one dealership here in Winnipeg) to see what they could do and they couldn't touch it ($402 was their best). Also they wanted to charge me $369 for anti theft etching in the window and I got them to wave that too. So when all said and done I guess about $1370 in savings.

As far as residual goes it's $1800 more on the Acura. But that's inconsequential to me because I never buy my leases out.

acslayta
11-23-2007, 08:26 PM
In case anyone's interested, command starts are 10% off right now from Acura (at least here in Winnipeg). We picked up one for our CSX for $540 installed. Genuine Acura accessory that most importantly will not void your warranty. Also the key fob is one of those cool ones with the big screens on it that tells you all kinds crap :thumbsup:

Quonzilla
11-24-2007, 06:49 PM
i guess its too late now .. but i sell acuras here in edmonton.. i coulda prolly got u a better price..

acslayta
11-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Quonzilla
i guess its too late now .. but i sell acuras here in edmonton.. i coulda prolly got u a better price..

On the command start or vehicle? Either way what could you do?

5hift
09-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Bumping this thread ... could use any help asap

Currently can't decide between a Red 06 Civic EX coupe and a Silver 06 CSX Touring Sedan that are priced exactly the same with similar kms. Both are 5 speed and have the same options (minus EX coupe having a sunroof but no climate control, and the CSX the opposite, climate control but no sunroof).

I originally thought the CSX was just a dressed up civic sedan, but the more research I do, the more clear it is the CSX is much more of a car than the civic, from its engine and handling/braking/etc.

Any input from Civic/CSX owners would be appriciated.

Skyline_Addict
09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

the more research I do, the more clear it is the CSX is much more of a car than the civic, from its engine and handling/braking/etc.

you basically just answered your own question/concern.

realazy
09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
The CSX has the k20z2 which is similar in power to the base RSX and EP3 (~160hp). While the Civic has the R18a1 (~138hp).

IMO, the K series is a much better choice, lots more aftermarket support.

Mr_ET
09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
2.0L 155hp>1.8L 140 hp :thumbsup:

Cost of ownership will probably be slighly higher solely because of the badge but I am sure it will still treat you right.

Congrats on the purchase!

r0g3r
09-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I love the CSX headlights and tailights also, instead of discontinuing it they should just get rid of the current civic and replace it with the CSX

j/k.....before all the guys with civics bash me...

5hift
09-09-2008, 04:35 PM
wow thanks for all the prompt responses guys

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

you basically just answered your own question/concern.

Haha I know, the CSX is the smarter buy and more car, but for whatever reason I've always had a preference for coupes even though a sedan would be much more practical. That and Im still shocked that a sunroof would even be an option on a 06 Acura, I woulda thought that would be standard.

Originally posted by realazy
The CSX has the k20z2 which is similar in power to the base RSX and EP3 (~160hp). While the Civic has the R18a1 (~138hp).

IMO, the K series is a much better choice, lots more aftermarket support.

Thats another question I was having, since the CSX is limited to Canada and only for a 4 year period, how limited will aftermarket support be.

Originally posted by Mr_ET
2.0L 155hp>1.8L 140 hp :thumbsup:

Cost of ownership will probably be slighly higher solely because of the badge but I am sure it will still treat you right.

Congrats on the purchase!

15 more horses not to mention a DOHC compared to the SOHC on the civic. I did the cost analyis for maintence and insurance and they are pretty much the same. I also havent made the purchase either, I was second on the list because the car is very aggresively priced and luckly first guy needed financing and couldnt get it.

Another question I had for you guys applies to both the civic and the csx. I have a rather nice system that I would like to install in whatever I end up getting. But I've noticed that both the 06+ civics and the csx's unless you get the navi, have a cd deck that looks like it would be next to impossible to swap out as it is part of what seems to be a one piece dash. How friendly are these cars to audio mods? The csx I'm looking at doesnt have navi or even a slot to put it in anywhere, how hard would it be to install an in dash dvd/nav deck?

A790
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I have no experience with the audio component of the CSX, however I have driven a CSX quite a bit and am pretty impressed with it.

Steering wheel audio, paddle shifters, fully loaded. It's surprisingly roomy, feels very solid, pretty peppy (I know, shocked me too), and didn't have any rattles/squeeks (and it had 71K on the odo).

It's a good choice in a car. While I like the look of the Civic coupe more, it's hard to argue with the utility of four doors. Plus, the CSX isn't a bad looking car anyway :P

5hift
09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
^^

it sounds like the CSX you drove is a premium. The one I'm looking at is a 06 5 speed touring with ~50K on it. It has every option except for leather seats and sunroof.

and yes the pep of the csx surprised me too. I wasnt set out for a sedan initially, but I think with tint, some hot wheels and a drop it would look very good.

5hift
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I've also just noticed there are a few 06 Civics Si's in my price range. Is the gas consumption on these that bad for a daily driver? I would love to get one of these instead but I've heard they are surprisingly thirsty for a 4 cylinder and also require premium fuel?

yellowsnow
09-09-2008, 07:19 PM
yeah, si's run on premium fuel, and on a 50L tank, you would get a bit more than 400km with normal driving.

5hift
09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
fuck thats worse than my prelude

Neil4Speed
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
yeah, si's run on premium fuel, and on a 50L tank, you would get a bit more than 400km with normal driving.

Wow, thats quite thirsty, I get better mileage for that matter!

Ferio_vti
09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
fuck thats worse than my prelude

On paper, the Si is suppose to get 10.2/6.8 L/100km (city/hw), while the Prelude get 10.7 city/8.2 hwy

But I do agree, my Prelude gets better city mileage.

gpomp
09-09-2008, 10:06 PM
my average over the past 9100 km is 8.0 L/100km, 625 km per tank theoretically.

my best tank was 6.5 L/100km.

08 si:
www.fuelly.com/driver/gpomp/civic-si