PDA

View Full Version : New fun eco box... SI/CSX Type S/GTI/Spec-V?

r3cc0s
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I am not in a rush, but want to find an economical ride, with a fun peppy engine and good handling...

So far I have been very impressed with the following:
GTI\GLI
Civic SI
Spec-V 08'
WRX

on all the above listed, including the Type S CSX, the Spec V appears to be the best deal of the bunch, being about 25, 995 fully loaded with LSD, Rockford sound system and all the typical bunch of stuff

GTI by far is my favorite with the Mazdaspeed 3 being a close second

however, fuel economy and costs being perhaps the most important... The value of the spec v and mazdaspeed 3 appear to be the most attractive

On the flip side, the Spec V is naturally aspirated making 200hp yet achieving even better mpg than the SI and has been rated 0-60 in 6.4... about as quick as the GTI (but slower than mazdaspeed/wrx respectively) however considering it is almost 10g's less...

seems like a bargin

any opinions about the car? is it easily moddable to perform quicker in the 1/4?

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
WRX

Aleks
11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by r3cc0s
I am not in a rush, but want to find an economical ride, with a fun peppy engine and good handling...

So far I have been very impressed with the following:
GTI\GLI
Civic SI
Spec-V 08'
WRX

on all the above listed, including the Type S CSX, the Spec V appears to be the best deal of the bunch, being about 25, 995 fully loaded with LSD, Rockford sound system and all the typical bunch of stuff

GTI by far is my favorite with the Mazdaspeed 3 being a close second

however, fuel economy and costs being perhaps the most important... The value of the spec v and mazdaspeed 3 appear to be the most attractive

On the flip side, the Spec V is naturally aspirated making 200hp yet achieving even better mpg than the SI and has been rated 0-60 in 6.4... about as quick as the GTI (but slower than mazdaspeed/wrx respectively) however considering it is almost 10g's less...

seems like a bargin

any opinions about the car? is it easily moddable to perform quicker in the 1/4?

Where did you find your fuel ratings? I went on Epa website and found Si/CSX, GTi, Spec V all rated at 24mpg combined. MS3 is rated at 20mpg combined.

These would be my choices:

-MS3/GTi hard choice but I'd take the GTi for the sweet DSG tranny.
-WRX
-CSX-S
-Spec V

CSX-S costs too much, I'd take the Si sedan over it.

danno
11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
i took gti cause the interior was far superior to the others.
i wanted a si but wanted leather, turbo for possible upgrades
tough call really all great cars

bspot
11-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I'll get flamed for this, but if you are cool with depreciation, there is a new turbo Cobalt SS coming out that will be at least as fast, if not faster than all of those, and will out handle them.

I can't speak to fuel economy on it, as it's not out yet, but on the supercharged version I get about 9.6L/100km, and I definitely do not go easy on it at all.

Edit: I don't know much about it, but the new Tiburon would fit into your category as well.

max_boost
11-12-2007, 11:07 PM
WRX is not economical.

I get 400kms/tank. 450 is really pushing it. 60L tank. 91-94 octane.

I :love: Turbo:burnout:

Destinova403
11-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by bspot
I'll get flamed for this, but if you are cool with depreciation, there is a new turbo Cobalt SS coming out that will be at least as fast, if not faster than all of those, and will out handle them.

I can't speak to fuel economy on it, as it's not out yet, but on the supercharged version I get about 9.6L/100km, and I definitely do not go easy on it at all.

Edit: I don't know much about it, but the new Tiburon would fit into your category as well.

awwe youve been reading my posts... *Blushes*

thats a pretty nice list there... id probably take the GTI as well... those cars are sick, the tranny is so much fun and it can calm down and just run as an auto too if you need it to...

plus they look just plain SICK in white :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

r3cc0s
11-13-2007, 12:28 AM
hrm...
I guess it really comes down to price

was quoted for GLI@ 37,400 plus taxes
was quoted about the same for WRX sedan
was quoted 35,600 for the Speed3
was quoted 25,999 for the Spec V

I found the fit & finish of the 3 jap cars listed... to be about at the same level...
Nicely bolstered seats with good ergonomics but all had that jap tinny feel... not that the fit and finish wasn't good...

Just not that nice German feel...

out of the 4, the Spec is close to the slowest... but based upon fuel economy it's the best

has lsd, 17" rims, nice sport seats and a very decent rockford stereo....
I found the car to have more passanger/rear legroom and headroom than the Jetta

and is the closest price to it's us equivillent

on the flip side... it's kinda slow w/ 0-60 in the 6.3 and 1/4 mile times in the high 14s.. if not even 15

If someone can say... yes just chip and exhaust to drop into the high 5's for the 0-60 times... I'd be all for it

Aleks
11-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by r3cc0s
hrm...
I guess it really comes down to price

was quoted for GLI@ 37,400 plus taxes
was quoted about the same for WRX sedan
was quoted 35,600 for the Speed3
was quoted 25,999 for the Spec V

I found the fit & finish of the 3 jap cars listed... to be about at the same level...
Nicely bolstered seats with good ergonomics but all had that jap tinny feel... not that the fit and finish wasn't good...

Just not that nice German feel...

out of the 4, the Spec is close to the slowest... but based upon fuel economy it's the best

has lsd, 17" rims, nice sport seats and a very decent rockford stereo....
I found the car to have more passanger/rear legroom and headroom than the Jetta

and is the closest price to it's us equivillent

on the flip side... it's kinda slow w/ 0-60 in the 6.3 and 1/4 mile times in the high 14s.. if not even 15

If someone can say... yes just chip and exhaust to drop into the high 5's for the 0-60 times... I'd be all for it

"Chip" and exhaust and the WRX will be a low 14s car in the low 5s 0-60. in Calgary.

Anyways I wouldn't just settle for a car because it's the cheapest. Sounds like that's what you're about to do.

clem24
11-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Seems to me like you're just looking at specs.. Have you actually driven them? Of all cars on that list, I'd probably pick the MS3 or the WRX, but MS3 with the edge. Although it's gearbox is spaced quite closely, so you'll be doing a lot of shifting, if you like that sort of thing.

jdmXSI
11-13-2007, 01:09 PM
If you decide to go with the WRX come see me and ill make sure your taken care of:thumbsup:

Shoot me a pm if you've got any questions