PDA

View Full Version : Willing to hire foreigner with great english?

melodychristie
11-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi there!

I am currently in the process of preparing my application for Permanent Residence (PR) in Canada via the Skilled Worker category.

I have enough points to migrate to Canada. However, if I have a firm Offer of Employment, the Canadian Embassy tells me that they will process my application faster, (although they have not indicated how much faster).

The dilemma I am facing is this....

I have been searching for jobs since February 2007, and although I have received several replies stating their interest in me and my abilities, they are only willing to interview me in person after I arrive in Calgary AFTER I receive my PR.

Does anyone know of any firms in Calgary that are willing to make the necessary applications to offer a job to a potential immigrant after say, a telephone interview?

I am even willing to start at a Junior position, as I understand that "canadian experience" is crucial :o)

Looking forward to hearing from anyone with any advise.

Warm Regards,

Melody Christie
P.S.: Although I'm a foreigner, I don't have an accent :o)

cosmok
11-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Background and relevant experience/education?

icecreamvan
Photos to back up your claims would greatly expedite matters.

doublepostwhore
in what area are you trained/ have certification?

Hakkola
11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
Photos to back up your claims would greatly expedite matters.

Thank you for stating the thoughts of the majority of beyonders so eloquently.

melodychristie
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey cosmok and doublepost! Thanx for the reply.

Positions held within the company:
January 2000 – Present Office Administrator/Manager [NOC 1221]
July 1997 – December 1999 Administrative Assistant [NOC 1441]
July 1996 – June 1997 Receptionist [NOC 1414]

I have a Diploma in Hotel Management from Brevet de Technicien de l'Hôtellerie, France

Just a little background : I was home schooled and got into college at age 14. I graduated at 16 and was therefore unable to find employment as the minimum age for employment in the Hotel Industry here is 17.

Anyway, after graduating I found a private risk management and consultancy firm that was willing to hire me as their receptionist and so I joined them.

I have been working with the same company now for 10 years, however I am no longer their receptionist but rather the Office Manager :o)

Although I'm really good at administration, I'm still very much in love with the Hotel Industry and all it has to offer. As such I wouldn't mind even working at the front desk of a hotel :o)

ca18det240sx
11-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by melodychristie
Hey cosmok and doublepost! Thanx for the reply.

Positions held within the company:
January 2000 – Present Office Administrator/Manager [NOC 1221]
July 1997 – December 1999 Administrative Assistant [NOC 1441]
July 1996 – June 1997 Receptionist [NOC 1414]

I have a Diploma in Hotel Management from Brevet de Technicien de l'Hôtellerie, France

Just a little background : I was home schooled and got into college at age 14. I graduated at 16 and was therefore unable to find employment as the minimum age for employment in the Hotel Industry here is 17.

Anyway, after graduating I found a private risk management and consultancy firm that was willing to hire me as their receptionist and so I joined them.

I have been working with the same company now for 10 years, however I am no longer their receptionist but rather the Office Manager :o)

Although I'm really good at administration, I'm still very much in love with the Hotel Industry and all it has to offer. As such I wouldn't mind even working at the front desk of a hotel :o)

pics? A/S/L?

icecreamvan
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Why are you aiming so low? You sound like you could be much much more, my dear. Little do you know, there are many talent scouts who frequent this forum. Posting a photo would certainly be beneficial for your cause.

turbotrip
11-12-2007, 10:11 PM
^this man speaks the truth

melodychristie
11-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Icecreamvan & turbotrip, you're sweet... you made me smile - Thanx!

A photo huh?.. well i'll see what i can do about that.
Thanx again!

topmade
11-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Seriously here is what I see from your education and experience.

January 2000 – Present Office Administrator/Manager = glorified office administrator
July 1997 – December 1999 Administrative Assistant
July 1996 – June 1997 Receptionist

You graduated 10 years ago and don't have any experience that reflects what you studied and most of your experience is just being a administrative assistant.

So if your applying for a front desk clerk or assistant job, nobody is going to go through all the trouble to hire a foreign worker for this type of position, hence why they will only be interested in you if you are already here. On the other hand if you're applying for hotel management, you don't look like you have enough experience in this field, but again they might give you a shot if you were already here.

Change up your resume. You say your the office manager, so get rid of the other administrative duties and fill it up with more managerial skills.

G-ZUS
11-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Lie on your resume:thumbsup:

bluetek
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Salary range & expectations??

How much interest do you have in a Hotel & Resort in Banff, Alberta?

FiveFreshFish
11-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Having your PR and being present in Calgary shows that you are committed to being here. Then you'll have plenty of job offers.

melodychristie
11-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by bluetek
Salary range & expectations??

How much interest do you have in a Hotel & Resort in Banff, Alberta?

Hey there bluetek! Thanx for the reply.
I'm *very* interested in the Hotel Industry, however my application is for Calgary specifically... know anyone willing to give me a shot?

Salary range $30,000 - $40,000?

melodychristie
11-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Seriously here is what I see from your education and experience.

January 2000 – Present Office Administrator/Manager = glorified office administrator
July 1997 – December 1999 Administrative Assistant
July 1996 – June 1997 Receptionist

You graduated 10 years ago and don't have any experience that reflects what you studied and most of your experience is just being a administrative assistant.

So if your applying for a front desk clerk or assistant job, nobody is going to go through all the trouble to hire a foreign worker for this type of position, hence why they will only be interested in you if you are already here. On the other hand if you're applying for hotel management, you don't look like you have enough experience in this field, but again they might give you a shot if you were already here.

Change up your resume. You say your the office manager, so get rid of the other administrative duties and fill it up with more managerial skills.

Thanx topmade! You're of course right.. i understand and appreciate the 10 year rule... which is why i'm facing the dilemma I'm in right now...

On the other hand I hear Alberta is facing a job shortage crisis so I hope someone would be willing to take a look at me...

melodychristie
11-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Having your PR and being present in Calgary shows that you are committed to being here. Then you'll have plenty of job offers.

Thanx for your optimism! I do believe I would be able to get a job with good prospects once I'm there... was just hoping I could get an offer to expedite my PR application {smile}

FiveFreshFish
11-12-2007, 11:24 PM
It's true. There's a shortage of skilled workers in Calgary.

Here are a few websites you might want to check out.
https://pehcmw1.calgary.ca/psc/pdhr/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/ROLE_APPLICANT.ER_VIEW_JOBS.GBL?&
http://www.workopolis.com/work.aspx?action=Transfer&View=Content/JobSeeker/JobSearchResultView&SearchId=610112795&title=Calgary&OldUrl=
http://www.aeso.ca/ourcompany/10079.html
http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/enmaxcareers/joblisting.asp?CategoryCode=12926
http://jobbank.gc.ca/Search_en.aspx
http://www.suncor.com/defaultn.aspx?ID=6

icecreamvan
11-12-2007, 11:35 PM
The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that you're awfully slow at producing results (ie. photos).

I apologize, but my acquaintance's hotel chain only hires motivated people.

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
It's true. There's a shortage of skilled workers in Calgary.

Here are a few websites you might want to check out.
https://pehcmw1.calgary.ca/psc/pdhr/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/ROLE_APPLICANT.ER_VIEW_JOBS.GBL?&
http://www.workopolis.com/work.aspx?action=Transfer&View=Content/JobSeeker/JobSearchResultView&SearchId=610112795&title=Calgary&OldUrl=
http://www.aeso.ca/ourcompany/10079.html
http://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/enmaxcareers/joblisting.asp?CategoryCode=12926
http://jobbank.gc.ca/Search_en.aspx
http://www.suncor.com/defaultn.aspx?ID=6

hey you! thanx for taking the trouble with the links... i *really* appreciate it .. the only one i've tried from your list is the jobbank one so they're all new to me... thanx alot!

well the search continues...

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 12:20 AM
hey icecreamvan... i've actually got the pic but am trying to figure out how to add it to my post cause i cant add it as an avatar and thats probably due to me being a newbie... {sigh}

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that you're awfully slow at producing results (ie. photos).

I apologize, but my acquaintance's hotel chain only hires motivated people.

here goes.. hope the pic shows up :o)

Palmiros
11-13-2007, 12:30 AM
hey icecreamvan... i've actually got the pic but am trying to figure out how to add it to my post cause i cant add it as an avatar and thats probably due to me being a newbie... {sigh}

www.imageshack.us

icecreamvan
11-13-2007, 12:34 AM
www.Imgu11i8l3.com is better.

7thgenvic
11-13-2007, 12:37 AM
im sure you'll have NO problem finding a job in Calgary. Especially Calgary!!!

Good luck. try the links that are posted above. Should have luck with that. Do you have family here to live with, because the houseing situation in Calgary is tough at the moment.

chris
11-13-2007, 12:39 AM
http://www.fairmontcareers.com/Jobs.aspx?&cid=0&eid=41&title=&page=1&pid=0

http://www.monster.ca/

as said above if you are managing the hotel you're at now take off the /administrator because thats an automatic red flag. Do you speak other languages?

lol at posting a picture by the way..... waiting for arif to enter this thread

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by chris
http://www.fairmontcareers.com/Jobs.aspx?&cid=0&eid=41&title=&page=1&pid=0

http://www.monster.ca/

as said above if you are managing the hotel you're at now take off the /administrator because thats an automatic red flag. Do you speak other languages?

lol at posting a picture by the way..... waiting for arif to enter this thread

hey you... actually i'm managing a private risk management & consultancy firm.. how i wish i could manage a hotel someday!

as for languages.. i speak Bahasa Malaysia... my french is terrible but i'm working on improving it

by the way, i hope arif is not gonna get too upset about the pic thing...

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
im sure you'll have NO problem finding a job in Calgary. Especially Calgary!!!

Good luck. try the links that are posted above. Should have luck with that. Do you have family here to live with, because the houseing situation in Calgary is tough at the moment.

no i haven't got family there...i heard about the housing situation.. and i've no idea how to deal with that right now...

God willing I'll make a trip and check out a few options... and talk to some folks about how to deal with housing.. thanx 7thgenvic

topmade
11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Word of advice, remove your pic before the trolls come out.

Jlude
11-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Word of advice, remove your pic before the trolls come out.

Originally posted by turbotrip
^this man speaks the truth

IRL
11-13-2007, 04:30 PM
All you guys asking for pictures are idiots. This is why Beyond has so few female posters, a female posts and bam, all sorts of harrasment for pictures.

What the hell does her picture have to do with her question? She is asking for legitimate help in trying to come to Canada and find employment...all I see are sarcastic remarks regarding her pics....give her a break...

To the original poster...DO NOT post your pic...ignore those fools.

Goodluck with the job search in Canada.

Supa Dexta
11-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah go easy on her guy's.. This is a serious thread for her, and she's not here to troll like the usual's..

Perhaps searching for jobs at hotels or a specific business you are interested in, and getting in touch with them to explain your situation would be best. You may find one that is willing to deal with you and help you get what you're looking for, in exchange for a contract of say a yr's service or something (although the specifics would have to be worked out between you two) and don't tell them up front what pay you are looking for, let them make an offer and go from there.. good luck,

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 06:01 PM
topmade, jlude and IRL

thanx for the warning.. due to the time difference between i only saw your posts at 7.45am my time... i'm 15 hours ahead of you

i have no idea how these forum things work... yesterday was my first day here and i thought perhaps because my Q was to do with the hospitality industry they needed a pic.. oh well...

thanx again for the valuable lesson... i do wish I saw your posts earlier...in any event, now that I know, i will not be making the same mistake twice

kaishen
11-13-2007, 06:08 PM
hello, you're frm malaysia? haha i am frm singapore. which part do u come frm? actually the general public in this forum is pretty nice except for a few, hee. if you are gonna be in the hotel industry, would it help if u send your resume to the hotels? anyway this beyond forum is catered for people in calgary. do u specifically wanna work there?

black13
11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah I recommend sending your pic only to those who contact you personally.

And I would recommend contacting some hotels in Calgary personally via email/telephone and talking to them about your situation. This is a car forum first and your probably better off just calling up hotels.
For example try Sheraton.
http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels.com/Sheraton_Cavalier_Calgary/so.htm?IM=LP_jointSheraton_SOP_SI_925_CAN

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Yeah go easy on her guy's.. This is a serious thread for her, and she's not here to troll like the usual's..

Perhaps searching for jobs at hotels or a specific business you are interested in, and getting in touch with them to explain your situation would be best. You may find one that is willing to deal with you and help you get what you're looking for, in exchange for a contract of say a yr's service or something (although the specifics would have to be worked out between you two) and don't tell them up front what pay you are looking for, let them make an offer and go from there.. good luck,

thanx Supa Dexta... i'm gonna take your advice and work on an email that clearly explains my situation and requests help...and then search the web for employers {smile}

love the idea about service contract...brilliant!...i'll definitely add that in.. and thanx for the warning about pay...

thanx!!

p.s.: the bug is too cute... although i did try to get him off my screen at first {smile}

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by kaishen
hello, you're frm malaysia? haha i am frm singapore. which part do u come frm? actually the general public in this forum is pretty nice except for a few, hee. if you are gonna be in the hotel industry, would it help if u send your resume to the hotels? anyway this beyond forum is catered for people in calgary. do u specifically wanna work there?

hey kaishen... i take it you're chinese?.. well i'm from PJ...

with regard to the general public in this forum.. i was actually wondering what on earth i had gotten myself into for a moment..heheh... i mean i have no idea what they mean when they refer to troll but i take it they are not nice..

i'm in a bit of a catch 22 here...

i've tried numerous job sites, employment agencies and employers however many are not willing to even listen cause I don't have my PR as yet...

however, the reason i'm even applying to them is to support my PR application... but i'll continue the search.. i mean nobody said this was going to be easy..

and yes, i wanna work & live in calgary specifically.. have fun kaishen...

what are you up to in this forum? i saw a couple of your posts... are you already in calgary?

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by black13
Yeah I recommend sending your pic only to those who contact you personally.

And I would recommend contacting some hotels in Calgary personally via email/telephone and talking to them about your situation. This is a car forum first and your probably better off just calling up hotels.
For example try Sheraton.
http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels.com/Sheraton_Cavalier_Calgary/so.htm?IM=LP_jointSheraton_SOP_SI_925_CAN

another brilliant idea!! thanx black13... i'll start contacting them via telephone.. and thanx alot for the link and the pic advice {smile}

it's a crazy world out there.. i need all the advise i can get!

old&slow
11-13-2007, 06:27 PM

i'm in a bit of a cache 22 here...

Catch 22!

Supa Dexta
11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Out of all the hotels I used to go to, I'd say the Hyatt had the most foreigners working there. And it's a pretty nice place..

http://calgary.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by old&slow

Catch 22!

Thank you... i've corrected the typo

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Out of all the hotels I used to go to, I'd say the Hyatt had the most foreigners working there. And it's a pretty nice place..

http://calgary.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

thanx.. am checking it out :o)

alloroc
11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
No offense but wouldn't it be better to type in "Calgary Hotels" in google and start making phone calls collecting addresses and sending out resumes?

Supa Dexta
11-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe it would be better to read the thread before posting.. She's already said she's been trying, with no luck.. And is looking for other suggestions..

mekeni
11-13-2007, 08:10 PM
try ramada downtown....i heard they were hiring (that was a month ago)

melodychristie
11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by mekeni
try ramada downtown....i heard they were hiring (that was a month ago)

Thanx mekeni. I'll do that... its worth a shot! :o)

kaishen
11-14-2007, 12:37 PM
haha, i'm still in singapore. am interested to come over to Calgary for work next year so here to chit chat, get more info, know more people. Beyond.ca has pretty nice people here. In fact though i'm half the globe across, i have met one beyond-er and gonna meet another in dec. We are gonna travel up to KL. haha....was still wondering why in all places, you would choose calgary. its not that wellknown to people in asia because when u mention canada, people will think of vancouver, BC, toronto. hee.. hope i wont get flamed by hot headed people here...haha oh well...

melodychristie
11-14-2007, 11:41 PM
well i just believe God wants me there.. i wasn't even planning on migrating, but then my dad mentioned canada... and after that, well i just kept seeing all sorts of stuff related to alberta and calgary specifically...

if it was up to me, i'd most likely go to a 'warmer' part of canada.. or even bc as i've got friends there :o)

you have a great day kaishen! let me know when you'll be in KL, who knows, maybe we could meet up for some 'teh-tarik':english: i dunno.. 'pulled tea'?.. hehe

11-14-2007, 11:52 PM
I am slightly confused as to why someone from malaysia is coming to beyond to look for a job......

hmmmmm..... why does this seem to be more than it seems.:dunno:

kaishen
11-15-2007, 12:56 AM
well it happens in all threads i suppose. the forums that i visited in singapore have canadians and americans asking abt working conditions also. there's this student from ontario asking abt places to rent here in singapore.

but thanks to all for helping.
melodychristine, prob you can check out the various job agencies and prob they will be in the best position to look for one for you.

omagedon
11-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Hello Melody,

You can check out the Marriot

http://www.calgarymarriottcareers.com/

Also, right now and until early next year is a great time to get your foot into the door in the Hotel business.

Usually, if you are good they will keep you F/T if they like you.

Just open the Yellowpages and look at the Hotel section and just call them UP (downtown has a lot of nice hotels but not very many outside).

melodychristie
11-16-2007, 07:22 AM
thanx omagedon! i'll do that...

410440 ... i know it's weird... but i must say, everyone's been really great.. even those cheeky ones who asked for pics :o)

it's been a great experience guys... this has gotta be the first forum i've joined that's actually alive and kicking!!

here's to wonderful, wonderful weekend!! mine has already started.. see y'all monday!!

JRSC00LUDE
11-16-2007, 12:30 PM
^

I can't offer you a job but I can offer you an honest, discreetful and open critique of any pics you may wish to send privately. ;)

If I could offer more assistance I would, my heart is bursting with goodwill and sincerity but alas, I fear this is the only way I can help you....

Neil4Speed
11-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know if it would be 100% applicable to you, but Unison HR is a company that specializes in Foreign Recuritment, but mostly for professional positions.

http://www.unisonhr.com/

melodychristie
11-19-2007, 11:47 PM
neil4speed.. thank you so much.. will get in touch with them and see what they say... perhaps i will forget about the hotel industry. I'll just apply based on my experience as an office manager. Thanx again! I really *really* appreciate it :o)

melodychristie
11-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

I can't offer you a job but I can offer you an honest, discreetful and open critique of any pics you may wish to send privately. ;)

If I could offer more assistance I would, my heart is bursting with goodwill and sincerity but alas, I fear this is the only way I can help you....

you're too sweet JRS, but it's quite alright ;o)
Here's to a great day!!

carzcraz
11-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Totally off topic, but you're living in Malaysia?!

Very cool, as I was born in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia but moved out here with the family 18 years ago.

:eek:

melodychristie
11-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by carzcraz
Totally off topic, but you're living in Malaysia?!

Very cool, as I was born in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia but moved out here with the family 18 years ago.

:eek:

the topic has evolved :burnout: so, no worries

but that is cool!... the fact that you were born here, i mean..

so are you Malaysian or Canadian? are your parents Malaysian or were you born whilst they were on holiday :)

dont mean to play 20 Qs but i'm curious...talk to you soon!

gaijin
11-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Another suggestion, if you don't mind starting slightly outside of calgary, is to try Banff and Lake Louise. The hospitality industry in high tourist traffic locations such as those has high demand for language skills, and I'm assuming you know more than one.

Try places like the Banff Springs Hotel or the Chateau Lake Louise. I'm not really sure if bigger or smaller places are more likely to be willing to help in this situation.

Anyhow, just another thought.

melodychristie
11-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by gaijin
Another suggestion, if you don't mind starting slightly outside of calgary, is to try Banff and Lake Louise. The hospitality industry in high tourist traffic locations such as those has high demand for language skills, and I'm assuming you know more than one.

Try places like the Banff Springs Hotel or the Chateau Lake Louise. I'm not really sure if bigger or smaller places are more likely to be willing to help in this situation.

Anyhow, just another thought.

thanx gaijin... i checked out a couple of places at Banff and even Edmonton and they were even willing to hire me...subject to me coming there first, naturally...but as it turns out i gotta go to calgary... oh well...

thanx though :D

by the way i do know an extra language.. Bahasa Malaysia - it's our national language here in Malaysia...not sure how handy that will come in, in Canada though :D

Majestic12
11-20-2007, 10:42 AM
If/when you come, you will probably want to contact the following organization:

MSBCA Calgary - http://www.msbcacalgary.ca/

It's basically an organization to network and socialize with others from Malaysia, Singapore, and Brunei in the Calgary area.

My parents are from Malaysia as well, and we used to be a part of the organization. Family friends with the current president of the association as well.

In fact, you may want to contact them prior to coming, maybe they have a member or two that could help you out and hook you up with an interview or a job.

melodychristie
11-21-2007, 12:49 AM
excellent!! thank you so, very much.. am checking the link out now... i never knew such an organization existed - this is great!!